Post Jj Nerf Dragon Slayer

Dragon slayer help

46 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:43 AM

I just got back into the game and bought a dragon slayer at a friends recommendation. I tried a AC5 PPC poptart build , however this thing now takes off like a house, can any one suggest any decent builds post JJ nerf.

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:06 AM

Switch to Gauss+2xPPC. The saved tonnage allows for more jump jets, and you get better cooling as a bonus. You can swap the AMS out for a bigger engine, more Gauss ammo, and/or more shield arm armor.

Edited by Modo44, 23 July 2014 - 03:09 AM.

#3 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:48 AM

I have been playing it more peek aboo recently , peeking my right around corners then backing off.

#4 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:52 AM

This is my current build.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2fb198a24ab0009

Edited by CaptainAceMaverick, 23 July 2014 - 03:53 AM.

#5 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:27 AM

Yeah the DS along with other assaults did receive a nerf with the JJ rework. I personally think PGI should've gone the exact opposite with JJs, and made them go super fast, that way you can't aim really well when jumping. PGi should've also kept the original schematics. Which would allow a single JJ to propel you 30 meters, and each JJ after that adds 30 more meters to your jump range.

Fast speed, lots of forward push, and poptarting does become a high skill tactic. Especially since the JJS will push you a lot, both in height and distance.

#6 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:05 AM

IMO there are no decent Victor builds at the moment.
While JJs are still perfectly fine for better maneuvering the Victor has already been nerfed before to a point where it was a highly niche mech.
Punished with all drawbacks of the Assault class ( slow speed, expensive Engines, cumbersome arm and torso movement ) it has also all drawbacks of the heavy class. ( large profile with less armor than most assaults, problems with Enginewheight / Loadout balance )
Its only real advantage was its good jumping performance.

Now there are other chassis with a better efford award ratio.

The DS is so well known it draws instant aggro on the Battlefield while my Banshee despite beeing much more deadly is often ignored.

#7 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:19 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 23 July 2014 - 05:05 AM, said:

While JJs are still perfectly fine for better maneuvering the Victor has already been nerfed before to a point where it was a highly niche mech.

"Niche" being defined as "every good player who did not buy into Clans".

#8 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

I beg to differ that poptarting with high pinpoint frontloaded damage is and ever will be high skill. It would not have dominated had it not been low risk high reward. And PGI fostered that with design mechanics. People forget that people go with the least resistance. Always. And poptarting was and is that. Your tears are delicious. And sadly not enough to change the meta.

So no, don't talk skill, talk lazy. Very lazy. And go drive a Jenner.

#9 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

Try this: Run the mech at full speed behind cover, jump up/out, hold Gauss fire to pull while letting go of the JJ key and turning to aim, let go of the Gauss button while hitting the PPC button, immediately twist and hit the JJ key again to shield and feather the fall. Do that 100 times in a row with 90%+ hitting a target and as much as possible of that hitting a specific location. Remember to toggle arm lock on around the aiming+firing sequence. Go on, you have all the time in training grounds. If you cry a lot, go back to your skillfull use of LRMs.

Edited by Modo44, 23 July 2014 - 07:47 AM.

#10 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

So did i waste my money on that DS or not? If so what the heck should i piliot instead? after i beat the £17 that DS cost me out of my friend.

Edited by CaptainAceMaverick, 23 July 2014 - 08:06 AM.

#11 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostCaptainAceMaverick, on 23 July 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

So did i waste my money on that DS or not? If so what the heck should i piliot instead? after i beat the £17 that DS cost me out of my friend.

You did not. It's a great mech, and still an absolute monster. You just need to adjust your style with it. Find a way to fit the 4th JJ if you want to keep the 2PPC 2 AC5 set up. Or switch to the 2PPC+Gauss set up. However, getting used to the charge mechanic of the Gauss Rifle will take some time.

The Dragon Slayer is at the top of the food chain so far. I also should ask: do you have it elited? Or do you only have it out of the Victor line up? If so, elite it, then come back to us after that.

#12 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostModo44, on 23 July 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

Try this: Run the mech at full speed behind cover, jump up/out, hold Gauss fire to pull while letting go of the JJ key and turning to aim, let go of the Gauss button while hitting the PPC button, immediately twist and hit the JJ key again to shield and feather the fall. Do that 100 times in a row with 90%+ hitting a target and as much as possible of that hitting a specific location. Remember to toggle arm lock on around the aiming+firing sequence. Go on, you have all the time in training grounds. If you cry a lot, go back to your skillfull use of LRMs.

:) ;) :D

#13 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

And like I said: Go drive a Jenner. If you cry a lot, go back to poptarting. Enjoy your frontload pinpoint damage which you love so much, sir. And which ruins the game for many.

Edited by Hammerhai, 23 July 2014 - 09:00 AM.

#14 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

View PostModo44, on 23 July 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

You wanna talk skill?

Try maintaining a positive WLR and KDR in a Locust. :)

#15 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

View PostCaptainAceMaverick, on 23 July 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

It's the most powerful mech in the game. After the jj nerf it is better than the timberwolf, better than any clan mech.

#16 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

fellas, can we stop the E-peen contest going on over there, and actually help OP bring out the best in his DS?

#17 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

Ye please cause i am getting wrecked by DW left and right some how

#18 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

I assume DW means Direwolf. Those guys you do not want to face head on. Get behind a wall, and pop them from 600 meters away using your poptart advantage, however, keep in mind, a good poptart will relocate after a jump or two to make sure no one shoots back at them.

If you decide to brawl with them, then make sure you have a big engine, and keep strafing to their side, get behind them, and kill them with little fear of retaliation. They have a lot of firepower, but they are not called "Direwhales" for nothing. You can outmaneuver them in an Atlas, and I wish that was a joke, but it isn't. Use your mobility against them.

PP FLD is the way to go if you want to be a premier class clan-buster. It's gonna take you a while to get good at it, and at poptarting. However, with practice you should have no problem killing things. Especially DWFs.

Also, keep in mind, 9 times out of 10, those DWFs can't move their arms sideways, since they don't come with actuators for most arm pods. Hence why not standing in front of them is extremely encouraged, even more so than with other mechs.

#19 CaptainAceMaverick

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

PP FLD?

#20 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

Pin Point (PP) Front Loaded Damage (FLD). It is the ability to put all the damage from a shot, into one location, in one hit.

Inner Sphere ACs do it extremely well. PPCs are also PP FLD weapons. Unlike lasers that splash damage every where and need time to deal their full damage, you just pop out, blast someone's side torso off, and disappear within seconds.

EDIT: It's also the one thing clans can't do well.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 23 July 2014 - 10:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users