#123 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

View PostEscef, on 02 September 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

I'd go so far as to say that running 6xUAC5 "right" isn't the best idea in the world. I slapped THIS together this morning, and it does ok. I consider the inability to swing the arms from side to side a flaw, so I tried this out on a lark. First match i was in, a lightly damaged Hunch crested a ridge in front of me and I cored him in one salvo. Overheats a bit if you don't watch yourself, but it's reasonably solid.

EDIT: Helps if I actually insert the link into the text, doesn't it?

Wow, that's a fantastic build. If you put 2 weapon groups with 2 UACs in each on chain fire, you can dish out serious hurt while cooling off.

View PostStickjock, on 02 September 2014 - 06:53 AM, said:

I sympathize with you on this one Iraqi... have had some great drops in my DW build like this... then again... I've had those drops where the entire team scoots off leaving me alone only to be swarmed under in a matter of seconds... LOL...

ah well... nature of the beast isn't it... :blink:

Yeah, being out-maneuvered by mountains, and stationary buildings tends to be a problem for it. That is the price we pay I guess.

#124 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:46 PM

I run 5x lb5x and 4x mlas. Its like the honeybadger of assault mechs. I expect to see a lot of this soon.

Edited by Budor, 02 September 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#125 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

NARC the site from orbit...it's the only way to be sure...

#126 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:45 PM

View PostTygerLily, on 02 September 2014 - 07:13 PM, said:

NARC the site from orbit...it's the only way to be sure...

Had a match where one Raven 3L caused the death of 4 assault mechs, 2 of which were DireWolves. Simply by Narcing them, and letting our LRM boats pummel them to dust. Canyon Network was definitely NOT the place for them. Especially not the low ground.

#127 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:54 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 02 September 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

Had a match where one Raven 3L caused the death of 4 assault mechs, 2 of which were DireWolves. Simply by Narcing them, and letting our LRM boats pummel them to dust. Canyon Network was definitely NOT the place for them. Especially not the low ground.

The low ground of Canyon can be a death trap if they catch you in there while you're still out of position, especially if you have no jump jets to climb out and over the ridgeline to escape.

It provides concealment, but not cover. Except maybe for the few places where there are bridges. But even that's only cover from LRMs, not from direct-fire pouring into you from the ridgelines above.

With good covering fire from teammates on the ridgelines above, you can get good movement through the valleys. But it's usually a bad idea to funnel your whole team through the valleys.

#128 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostYueFei, on 02 September 2014 - 11:54 PM, said:

It provides concealment, but not cover.

I wish trees in this game were taller and broke line of site but did not block fire. And it would also be awesome if there was a Smoke consumable that filled an largish area with the same properties.

#129 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

View PostTygerLily, on 03 September 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

I wish trees in this game were taller and broke line of site but did not block fire. And it would also be awesome if there was a Smoke consumable that filled an largish area with the same properties.

massive tree: doesn't blcoks fire.

Small metalic rope: blocks whole volleys of rockets.

irewolfs are hard to break if their group sticks with them not allowing you to flank them safe.

#130 --Saint--

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:05 PM

I like to role play my DWF builds and imagine the game in a larger campaign setting, so this generally means I don´t use meta builds and go for something more balanced and more "realistic"

Still though, there are more efficient builds to use that get you better dmg output and greater tactical flexibility. 4 AC20´s still only get you 80 dmg and at relatively close range, whereas 4x LPLAS + UAC20 + 2xSRM6 + 4 MLAS, will do well over 100 DMG and give you coverage at any distance. So as a DWF pilot, I wouldn´t even go for a meta build in the first place.

Anyhow, against a meta, it depends on your build. If you´re a long range fighter, stay at long range, those ac20´s suck at range. If you´re a mid range brawler, move from cover to cover and get in close, DWF´s cant turn well or torso twist quickly to draw a bead on you so you can circle o death him. If you´re fast, get on its back, dart in and out.

Or just quietly spot him for your LRM boats

Man I hate LRMs

I guess its just down to playing smarter and to your strengths, not the DWF´s

In any case, do not just stand in front of a DWF, nothing stands in front of us for long

#131 EAP10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 401 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 06 August 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

Most people usually shave 2 points of armor from the head (16+15=31) so they shave less from the legs or other parts.

Yeah, I'm suspecting that was not a 1 hit. If you had the standard max armor values (59 armor+44 internal = 103 damage). No one alpha can do that. the 9xERPPC is the highest possible alpha in the game, and that's 90 damage to the one location.
Maybe if you had ammo in the CT, and they had an alpha strike of over 70 (Still not possible for PP FLD), they MIGHT detonate the ammo, and that would do it.

It's not that I don't believe you got kill out of the blue with what seemed like a single shot. I'm trying to figure out what made it happen, and how it happened.

The more logical conclusion is that it was 2 or more alphas into your CT. Is it ridiculous that this can happen? Yes. Should 3 mechs focusing down one mech kill it quickly? Yes.

The problem is that PP FLD is reaching crazy numbers now. However to be honest.Even in TT Alphas of 45 were possible

The Devastator came stock with 2xGauss+2xERPPC. You could fire that, and kill something in one shot.

Of course, called shots were harder in TT than here (by just a bit)

Even if we lock PPC and Gauss so you can't fire more than 2 at a time, a dual gauss mech is still dealing 30 damage PP FLD. Which by all rights it should.

I'm going into a more psychological aspect rant here now, and it's not aimed at you.

The general population has a strange idea of what mech combat is like in Battletech, maybe in Gundam they can last a while, but in BT, a battle between 2 assaults lasts about 20 seconds or less. TTK is actually high in this game for the BT universe.

Our mechs are supposed to deal massive damage, and armor is there to make sure we can survive a hit, maybe 2, not that many more from a big mech.

With the real armor values, half the current ones we have, imagine how deadly mechs weapons are, and how little armor helps. Yes, the feeling of being in an unstoppable juggernaut is there, when fighting everything else that isn't a mech. However, if everyone else is in an unstoppable juggernaut, then juggernauts become easily stoppable.

A dragon is super powerful against everything that isn't a dragon. When fighting another Dragon, there are no real advantages left.

One of my direwolves has a 104 pinpoint alpha. Proof? 2 guass, 2 CERLL, 7 CERML, and a ams. :)

#132 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:07 PM

View PostEAP10, on 03 September 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

One of my direwolves has a 104 pinpoint alpha. Proof? 2 guass, 2 CERLL, 7 CERML, and a ams. :)

I was talking about FLD. Your alpha is not FLD. my prime was running something like that (no 7th ML. switched the LLs for LPLs) the 9ERPPC alpha is the highest PP FLD alpha in the game (it's also the highest alpha period. 135 damage total damage)

#133 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:46 AM

View PostSniperCzar, on 01 September 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

I rarely have problems with chainsaw dires, just today I took out 3 lords DWFs (2 chainsaw, 1 Gauss/PPC) with my own DWF build (4xLBX5, 4xcERML, 1xcGauss) and I've dropped three at one time in Crimson's tunnel before.

Rock em till you drop em.

I will try this build though it seems very weird. LBX induce similar cockpit shake as UAC5, and UACs have higher DPS in ultra mode.

#134 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:50 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 12 September 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

I will try this build though it seems very weird. LBX induce similar cockpit shake as UAC5, and UACs have higher DPS in ultra mode.

But the crits from the LBX have a better chance of hitting mutliple weapons, ammo, and equipment in there, and possibly taking them out quickly. A short while ago I lost my left side because an opponent used an LB5X and it managed to crit my gauss rifle, and cause it to detonate, removing half my weapons with it.

#135 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

Shooting them in the head might work if they like to stare at you too much.

#136 Bonckers

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:33 PM

My best success against a Direwolf while in my Misery was to focus fire in its face while keeping on the move. I punched a hole in the ct and then went on to kill a storm crow. They are sluggish(Direwolves) and Stalkers are one of the faster IS assults which is why I like them. I also kept a chain of fire on it ac20, srms, then lasers and for gods sake don't overheat and shut down. Move and shoot. Use terrain to your advantage. Lots of folks dont shoot well while moving on uneven terrain

#137 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

View PostGhostdog256, on 13 September 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

... Stalkers are one of the faster IS assults...

As the youngin's say, lolwut? 57 kph? I mean, while it's common for Stalkers to carry a maxed out engine, Battlemasters, Victors, 2 of the Awesomes, 3 of the Banshees, and one of the Atlases will all outrun that with their STOCK engines.

But, yes, Stalkers are generally faster than Dire Wolves. The only thing I've ever seen that doesn't outrun a Dire is the infamous 2xAC20 BoomCada.

#138 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:15 PM

View PostEscef, on 13 September 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

As the youngin's say, lolwut? 57 kph? I mean, while it's common for Stalkers to carry a maxed out engine, Battlemasters, Victors, 2 of the Awesomes, 3 of the Banshees, and one of the Atlases will all outrun that with their STOCK engines.

But, yes, Stalkers are generally faster than Dire Wolves. The only thing I've ever seen that doesn't outrun a Dire is the infamous 2xAC20 BoomCada.

Just barely. When you're strapping a Standard 100 engine, you're going 44 Kph with speed tweak.So barely, just barely slower than the DWF.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users