Hitbox

264 replies to this topic

#1 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

Attention: This thread is now closed as I had to make a new thread to split the IS and Clan images: https://mwomercs.com...localization-2/

Greetings, MechWarriors. First, a big "thank you" to Rainbow Unikorn, Voodu777 and all the others who helped make the initial "Hitbox Localisation" thread here. But since it's been a while since the thread was updated (and hitboxes have been changed) and there are missing mechs, I decided to complete this task.

This initial post will be administrative, and will be updated with each official thread update. Following posts will contain the mech hitbox images. Some of the posts will contain "holding" images until the testing is complete. The plan is to test and post mechs in the order:

Inner Sphere: Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault
Clan: Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault

Clans are last as I see that Sylvian Le Fabre has an active Clan hitbox thread here. If that is not complete by the time this thread gets to Clan, I will continue.

Mechs issued after the initial hitbox mapping will be examined and posted after they are available for MC.

Methodology: The testing mech is a Raven with 2 small lasers. Then in a private lobby (or the testing grounds for the first eight mechs) I use the Raven's laser to map the hit boxes, trying to identify the transition areas. The intent is not to be inch-by-inch perfect, but to assist pilots by showing where NOT to aim if they do not want to spread their damage.

After a set of weight class image are posted, I will also post a PDF package with the raw images and drawn hitboxes. I am using a "MechWarrior" font pack - let me know if you want me to change to a different typeset on the mech images.

Nov-2018: here is a video of how I do Hitbox Mapping on the Blood Asp (BAS).

PDF
Inner Sphere (27 MB): GoogleDrive
Clan (27 MB): GoogleDrive

As in the original thread:
Yellow = cockpit
Green = Arms
Red = Legs
Orange = front Side Torso
Blue = back Side Torso
Purple = Center Torso

Updates
Spoiler

Edited by Tamerlin, 19 November 2019 - 12:00 PM.

#2 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

Attention: This thread is now closed as I had to make a new thread to split the IS and Clan images: https://mwomercs.com...localization-2/

Edited by Tamerlin, 26 November 2019 - 07:05 AM.

#3 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:31 PM

I have the clan mechs up to Daishi,

Overlord Phoenix pack, Almost all the firestarters (missing the H only), and Orions. If you want to test any of these, I'm happy to help.

#4 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 02 August 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

I have the clan mechs up to Daishi,

Overlord Phoenix pack, Almost all the firestarters (missing the H only), and Orions. If you want to test any of these, I'm happy to help.

Thanks for the offer, but I have this planned out.

#5 Bromineberry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

Thank you very much for this great work. I was hoping, that someone would do a new version of the hitbox guide. :(

#6 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

Inner Sphere Lights complete

#7 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostTamerlin, on 06 August 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

Inner Sphere Lights complete

Thank you. That is good news. Moving on to mediums now?

#8 Koniks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

With those side torsos, why would you put an XL engine in a Griffin? And you'd think the Cataphract would be better suited for XLs than it is.

#9 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

View PostMizeur, on 06 August 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

With those side torsos, why would you put an XL engine in a Griffin? And you'd think the Cataphract would be better suited for XLs than it is.

Because the mobility boost is so massive (with a big XL engine), you will tank better than with a STD engine.

Same thing happens when you slap an XL 400 in a Banshee. It tanks better than a STD engine Banshee. No jokes.

http://raksarmory.bl...00-banshee.html

#10 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 07 August 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

Because the mobility boost is so massive (with a big XL engine), you will tank better than with a STD engine.

Same thing happens when you slap an XL 400 in a Banshee. It tanks better than a STD engine Banshee. No jokes.

http://raksarmory.bl...00-banshee.html

So it's the same thing with the Battlemaster? We're talking about an XL350 or max-rated engine in the Griffin rather than an XL280 or XL300. You're not taking an XL engine to free up weight. You're trading firepower for speed and agility.

#11 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

View PostMizeur, on 08 August 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

So it's the same thing with the Battlemaster? We're talking about an XL350 or max-rated engine in the Griffin rather than an XL280 or XL300. You're not taking an XL engine to free up weight. You're trading firepower for speed and agility.

In a way, yes. Also, because the bigger the engine rating is, the faster your torso twist rate is, With XLs being lighter, you can have a big enough rating that you will use your shield arms much better.

#12 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

Inner Sphere Mediums complete

#13 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

The SHD RT really dips into the CT like that? I wonder if that's new or the old localisation was just wrong.

#14 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

View PostMizeur, on 09 August 2014 - 09:04 PM, said:

The SHD RT really dips into the CT like that? I wonder if that's new or the old localisation was just wrong.

I was surprised as well. When I'm done with all these, I'll double check some of them against other varients of the same chasis.

#15 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:49 PM

Man, the Commando's hitboxes are MESSED UP. Why do the STs extend into the arms like that? And why is the head hitbox so huge? It wasn't like that before. Did Paul get killed by some talented Commando pilot, making him think they were OP?

#16 Bromineberry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:31 AM

Is the back of the Hunchbacks hunch now really part of the rear ST? Because I remember it to be part the front ST before.

#17 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

I do not understand why they removed the hitbox locations, it is imporatnt to know where to shoot - it is a part of the knowledge! I hope they bring this back!!!

#18 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:08 AM

View PostENS Puskin, on 10 August 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:

I do not understand why they removed the hitbox locations, it is imporatnt to know where to shoot - it is a part of the knowledge! I hope they bring this back!!!

The display in the previous mechlab did not conform to actual mech hitboxes. This information was not removed from the client, it was never there in the first place.

#19 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:12 AM

View PostModo44, on 10 August 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

This information was not removed from the client, it was never there in the first place.

Huh?

#20 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:57 AM

View PostBloodweaver, on 09 August 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

Man, the Commando's hitboxes are MESSED UP. Why do the STs extend into the arms like that? And why is the head hitbox so huge? It wasn't like that before. Did Paul get killed by some talented Commando pilot, making him think they were OP?

Remember, the ST is only the "shoulder pads". The entire arm below the pads are still "Arm". And while the cockpit is large relative to the Commando's total head, it is a very small mech. It's realy about the same size to aim at.

View PostBromineberry, on 10 August 2014 - 05:31 AM, said:

Is the back of the Hunchbacks hunch now really part of the rear ST? Because I remember it to be part the front ST before.

At least for that variant of Hunchback. But the entire side of the "hunch-weapon pod" is only front ST. Should probably be divided more evenly.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users