Give Inner Sphere Hand & Arm Actuator Removal Option

24 replies to this topic

Poll: Give Inner Sphere Hand & Arm Actuator Removal Option (114 member(s) have cast votes)

Agree, Disagree or Abstain?

1. Yes (58 votes [50.88%])

Percentage of vote: 50.88%

2. No (54 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

3. Abstain (2 votes [1.75%])

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

I noticed recently on Smurfy's with Clan Mechs (I do not have any right now) there are some where the Hand and Lower Arm Actuators exist but will be removed depending on the weapons you install. You can also bring the Actuators back if you change weapons again. Example, take a Nova-Prime, remove half the lasers then add a PPC, the 2 Actuators disappear but remove the PPC and you can check boxes to bring the Actuators back.

I believe such a feature should be added to some IS Mechs.
- It would allow a better look on certan Mechs. Example, Cataphract Right Arm, put a small weapon or 2 there does not need a large bore firing tube so they could have a hand. (Pictures Jagermech-DDs with 3MG per arm with hands!) Victors, Awesomes, Orions, several fit here.
- It would remove complaints about the CN9-AH since now the Centurion-A and -D could simulate that Mech.
- Other Mechs could use their arms to maximum.
--- Kintaro-18 could try to fit a LRM20, LRM15 and ML or smaller in the Right Arm.
--- Some Mechs with Ballistics in the arm(s) could try to pack AC20s like Battlemasters, Dragons and Thunderbolts.
--- Mechs like the Victor-9B & Battlemaster-1D can try to use max arm hardpoints and space.

I have not gone over them all but right now, I think the ability to remove these 2 actuators for Clan Mechs can actually be an advantage for them over IS. It would take several players discussing potential loadouts for more proof. I know Clans need their unique feel but there is ongoing talk of balance.

#2 Draykin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

There is a certain difference between Omnimechs and Battlemechs. In MWO, one of those differences is the ability for Omnimechs to remove hand and lower arm actuators, allowing for more weapon-based flexibility, as you'll find the Clans are pretty much all about their weapon systems.

What you propose could break the IS. Many Battlemechs cannot fit an AC/20 into the arm because of one actuator, and they are meant to be that way. Not every 'Mech is supposed to mount an AC/20, and that is part of what puts the appeal into the weapon; it deals 20 damage, and is limited in availability to only some Battlemechs, particularly Atlai, who are famous for the ability to carry it, stock. If it were possible for some Battlemechs to remove hand and/or lower arm actuators, you might see something such as an AC/40 Cataphract, WITH possible back-up weapons. Thunderbolts might go for AC/20 arms. Dragons would possibly swap over to XL engines en masse and become AC/20 dependant brawlers. Everyone would be trying to get 'Mechs with AC/20s.

On top of that, removal of the lower arm actuators on Clan 'Mechs is punishment for taking a heavy ballistic weapon or PPC. That's right, if you take pretty much any ballistic weapon (besides MG) or a PPC in an arm, you cannot take a lower arm actuator in that arm. This means your arm cannot turn left and right, only up and down.

#3 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

View PostDraykin, on 08 August 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

What you propose could break the IS. Many Battlemechs cannot fit an AC/20 into the arm because of one actuator, and they are meant to be that way. Not every 'Mech is supposed to mount an AC/20, a

Technically speaking no Stock Mech variant is meant to replace anything unless you're some super duper high rank pilot in Canon :D.

Also you aren't really supposed to be able to replace the base engine with other engines either. MWO main mode is the equivalent of Solaris style open-customization rules.

#4 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

View PostMerchant, on 08 August 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

I noticed recently on Smurfy's with Clan Mechs (I do not have any right now) there are some where the Hand and Lower Arm Actuators exist but will be removed depending on the weapons you install. You can also bring the Actuators back if you change weapons again. Example, take a Nova-Prime, remove half the lasers then add a PPC, the 2 Actuators disappear but remove the PPC and you can check boxes to bring the Actuators back.

I believe such a feature should be added to some IS Mechs.
- It would allow a better look on certan Mechs. Example, Cataphract Right Arm, put a small weapon or 2 there does not need a large bore firing tube so they could have a hand. (Pictures Jagermech-DDs with 3MG per arm with hands!) Victors, Awesomes, Orions, several fit here.
- It would remove complaints about the CN9-AH since now the Centurion-A and -D could simulate that Mech.
- Other Mechs could use their arms to maximum.
--- Kintaro-18 could try to fit a LRM20, LRM15 and ML or smaller in the Right Arm.
--- Some Mechs with Ballistics in the arm(s) could try to pack AC20s like Battlemasters, Dragons and Thunderbolts.
--- Mechs like the Victor-9B & Battlemaster-1D can try to use max arm hardpoints and space.

I have not gone over them all but right now, I think the ability to remove these 2 actuators for Clan Mechs can actually be an advantage for them over IS. It would take several players discussing potential loadouts for more proof. I know Clans need their unique feel but there is ongoing talk of balance.

Might consider it, if every time you mount any ballistic in an IS mech's arm, it loses its hand and lower arm actuators. (PPCs included)

#5 Eddrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

Rules exist for the option to remove Hand Actator, Lower Arm Actuator, and even Upper Arm Actator. Each with an accuracy penalty.

In MWO, Lower Arm Actator has an effect. Removing, Lower Arm Actuator makes it so your Mechs Arms have no horizantal movment. They can add onto this with an effect when you remove the Upper Arm Actator. Whan doing so, your Mechs Arms have no Horizauntal or Vertical movment (Literaly the same as having Arm Lock on).

Hand Actuator currently does nothing in MWO and this needs to be fixed.

#6 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:37 AM

View PostEddrick, on 27 September 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

Currently

I forsee melee combat.
Delicious melee combat.

Think of a hunchback stomping on a spider.
Or the Atlas faceraping the warhawk like in that famous picture!
We could even have am achievement for that!

But I digress.

Edited by Burktross, 13 October 2014 - 04:38 AM.

#7 healybob

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

Remove hand actuator or give us melee. One or the other. If I have to have a hand actuator i should be able to punch someone in range.

#8 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,943 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:40 PM

Oh hell yes, I want my Dragon to have an AC-20 on that right arm :D

#9 Morang

• 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:02 AM

No. Let mechs and variants retain their characters. Clans have many other restrictions.

#10 Ancient Demise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 189 posts
  • LocationMechWarrior: Living Legends

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:15 PM

Or you know, let us ADD lower arm actuators to all omni pods instead of this random restriction nonsense.

Edited by Ancient Demise, 14 October 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#11 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:10 AM

Second that my Fang with an AC20 would ruin some peoples day! Practice in the YLW and the new AH.

#12 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:46 PM

Or the Atlas faceraping the warhawk like in that famous picture!

reminds me of a drawing I once seen, it was a drawing of an UrbanMech standing on an Atlas's head with one foot in a victory pose.

anyways when it comes to Clans & IS and Omnis there are not suppose to have any Hand or lower Arm Acts if there is any ACs, Gauss Rifles, or PPCs as per the omni mech build rules (unless TW has changed that).

Edited by VinJade, 01 February 2015 - 11:49 PM.

#13 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:47 AM

Actually, with regard to AC20, canonically, one can split the crits over to an adjacent location. PGI doesnt want to implement that though.

#14 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:37 AM

@ Matthew Ace
Aye, because mechs like the King Crab which has some of its crits in the side torso would lose it should the armor be stripped clean from the front or back torso.

#15 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:42 AM

Those actuators are a balancing factors and, in some cases, the only difference between similar mechs. Removing them is not a good idea.

#16 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:55 AM

the only mechs that should be having their Acts removed are Omnis and no other as unless its Large bore weapons like AC 20s(for non Omnis).

#17 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:13 AM

View PostEddrick, on 27 September 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

I believe it helps with horozontal movement for clan mechs as well, as strange as that is.

#18 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:45 AM

Omnimechs are built as such that larg caliber weapons autocanns, PPC's require the removal of hand and lower arm actuators, because the clans never had considered melee combat in mechs this was considered a worthless downside to omnis Battlmechs are diffrent.

#19 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:55 AM

Re: AC20s... tabletop had rules to allow splitting criticals between adjacent locations though. That's how Arrow IV artillery missiles get installed, and the mech scale sniper snub-nosed howitzer. AC20s would often be split between locations this way. The 65 ton Axman AXN-1N mounts an 260 XL and splits its AC20 between the RT and CT.

#20 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:46 AM

which one contains the fireing mechanism though?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users