367 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

Please let us know what you think of the latest news regarding today's weapon balance changes!

View PostRuss Bullock, on 08 August 2014 - 03:05 PM, said:

MechWarriors, I wanted to announce a Hot Fix for this evening, time still to TBD but I estimate around 5-6pm and Niko will of course announce the official time when we have it. This hot fix is simply to rollback one change to the Clan ER Large Laser: C-ERLL minimum heat penalty (number of weapons fired simultaneously that will trigger Heat Scale) decreased from 3 -> 2. This means you can fire 1 for free, but firing 2 or more will incur the Heat Scale penalty. With this rolled back you will again be able to fire 2 of these lasers without taking on the Heat Scale Penalty. The reason I am rolling this back is because I felt it just wasn't consistent to the rest of the Laser based weapons in the game. Currently only the AC 20 has the Heat Penalty set to 2 weapons being fired and I didnt feel the Clan ER Large Laser should be the only other weapon in the game to take on that same penalty. However I wanted to let everyone know that even though we have had several hotfixes recently to apply balance changes, I do not expect that we will see anymore for at least a couple weeks. We need to first have our Aug 15th weekend event and gather data on the 12v10 balance testing before we decide what is the correct course of action and potentially make additional changes. Thanks.

#2 SgtKinCaiD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

Just my 2 cents :

Good move on the cERLL (the ghost heat limit was overkill, the beam duration is *maybe* too much but we'll see) ... hum ... talking about AC20, you know that the PPC speed nerf just resync both of them (650 // 850 instead of 650 // 1500) ??? The ppc needed a cooldown nerf like +2s in order to make every shot counts like a real sniper weapon.

And concerning the Gauss/PPC direwhale, it can still 2 shots any chassis, it just need to be a little closer to secure the kill.

Edited by SgtKinCaiD, 08 August 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#3 DEN_Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

How dare you listen to our feedback!

Anyways, thank god for that. The Ghost Heat nerf was unnecessary.

#4 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

Russ, Niko... anyone... I was getting a widget warning of possible heat spikes larger than normal while 1 Clan ER Large Laser and 1 Clan Large Pulse Laser were mounted. In the testing grounds, the combination would indeed produce a heat spike in the neighborhood of 33% on my Summoner. Not sure if they were intentionally tied together or not.

#5 Ellen Ripley

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 200 posts
  • LocationLV-426

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

Ok, nicely done. Now please roll back that projectile speed nerf for the (ER)PPCs as well?

Edited by Ellen Ripley, 08 August 2014 - 03:26 PM.

#6 Kelenas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

View PostTichorius Davion, on 08 August 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

Hey, I know this guy. Long time no see.
And thanks PGI, maybe this'll quell a little of the rage that's been around all day. Also this means I can put my 4 ermedium, 3 erlarge timberwolf back together.

#7 Smudge504

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 101 posts
  • LocationNewcaslte Upon Tyne

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

Just to clarify will the beam length and duration be reverted? Also what will be the heat scale pelanty?

#8 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

Good. But it never should have gone live for exactly the reasons it's being rolled back.

Edit: Three changes at once is two too many. Reducing it to two changes at once is still one too many. This is better but this still wasn't good.

Edited by Terciel1976, 08 August 2014 - 03:36 PM.

#9 Kelenas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

View PostSmudge504, on 08 August 2014 - 03:31 PM, said:

Just to clarify will the beam length and duration be reverted? Also what will be the heat scale pelanty?

pretty sure it's just the ghost heat being set back to 3 at once instead of 2 of at once.

#10 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

I hope you win y'alll. I hope you make this game and know that its good and balanced. I'm rooting for you, from my bunker in Faithless City.

#11 MechB Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

Great thanks for buffing the cERLL from overnerfed to just nerfed. I still think its stays crappy thanks to its sh*t long beam duration. But w/e. As you seem to ignore competitive scene and keep listening to the semi casuals, i wont give a f anymore.

#12 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

View PostTichorius Davion, on 08 August 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

View PostSandpit, on 08 August 2014 - 03:10 PM, said:

already called this one but it'll play out slightly differently

Paul's just going to use this to "prove" he listened when he planned all along to never keep the CERLL where they're currently at.

It's the same principle with gas prices. You get a huge jump for a short while, then they gradually come back down to where they're only slightly above where they originally were. Then everyone is "thankful" that the prices came back down.

i'm freaking psychic

#13 Verkhne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 299 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

Still BS that is why you overnerfed the thing anyways to let you give us a magnanimous roll-back of one small part.. My Kitfox still very SCREWED with a 2s duration. Warhawks till screwed.

#14 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

You will likely need to pull back another Clan ER LL nerfs and also match one or two of the changes with the IS version. I would look into making the beam duration from 2s to 1.75 and then up the IS version from 1 second to 1.25.

Something that may surprise people is that the increased beam duration makes the Clan ER Large Laser more heat efficient now than before even with the heat being bumped up from 8.5 to 9. So the increase heat isn't so much of a nerf, as it was normalizing the heat to match the new rate of fire.

Edited by Jman5, 08 August 2014 - 03:47 PM.

#15 The Dancing Joker

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

The cERLL GH nerf simply broke several stock 'mech configs. Let alone Kit Fox 2 cERLL snipers(needed due to Clan lights being so slow compared to their IS counterparts.).

Good to see the rollback.

#16 cephyn

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

Kit Fox could barely handle being visible long enough with the old beam duration, now its a sitting duck. :D Peek 'n' Pop - the pop is now my Kit Fox being cored while I stare at the enemy.

#17 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

Is Paul actually secretly employed by another, rival, games company?

#18 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:42 PM

I'm pleasantly surprised with the rollback of the ghost heat changes on the CERLL.

I get the PPC nerf. I understand how it's going to upset some people but I get it. PPCs needed the hammer and hard. Maybe it can be dialed up some if it's just not viable but people get shot by AC10s, they'll get shot by PPCs too.

As to the change in burn time on the CERLL, I'd rather see it get damage down to 10 and the associated heat bump to 9, along with a range reduction to exactly match the ISERLL. The 30% burn rate increase is going to hit lighter mechs who counted on it for a primary weapon. Brawling heavies and assaults (Timbers, Warhawks) won't notice it nearly so much. Neither will Warhawk/Dire Wolf snipers; they'll have longer time on target. The hit and move mechs like lights and mediums though will find themselves restricted to LRMs for long range or CERMLs for short/mid range.

#19 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Glad this wasn't left unfixed for the weekend.

#20 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

I swear, the "competitive scene" that Paul looked to for feedback seemed like the following:
1) Secret Squirrels (do these people still exist?)
2) NGNG (with possibly "ideas" from JagerXII)
3) Paul Inouye (those multiple builds are good enough to supplant real play apparently)

Seriously, this CERLL change/nerf should have been gradual.... not a multi-faceted nerf in one patch.

Edited by Deathlike, 08 August 2014 - 03:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users