Intigrated Ejection & Self-Destruct!

55 replies to this topic

Poll: MWO Ejection & Self-Destruct (202 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Ejection be Added?

1. Yes, Awesome, (179 votes [88.61%])

Percentage of vote: 88.61%

2. No, Horrable, (23 votes [11.39%])

Percentage of vote: 11.39%

Should Self-Destruction be Added?(Poll Changed Please read and revote)

1. Yes, Awesome, (166 votes [82.18%])

Percentage of vote: 82.18%

2. No, Horrable, (36 votes [17.82%])

Percentage of vote: 17.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

Ok i know their have been several topics on both of these,
so i thought id make a comb-topic and see if we can figure them out,
yes technically we dont need ether but it would be nice to have the option,
in these Cases both are mostly Flair things and not Game things,

First off- Ejection
i think this would help with the immersive feel of the game,
wail also giving the Pilot an extra feel for survival with-in MWO,
-
Ejection- Mechanics
pilots Eject when the Eject button is held for 5seconds, but Why do this?
ejecting leaves the pilots Mech intact and adds 100 Survival GXP to the player,
this Survival GXP degrades to 0 over the course of 10 seconds,
the timer only stops when the pilots Mech is destroyed,
(1Sec = 100GXP) (5sec = 50GXP) (10sec = 0GXP)

Second- Self-Destruct
i think this also would help with the immersive feel of the game,
wail also giving the Pilot an extra feel for the Die-Fighting with-in MWO,
-
Self-Destruct- Mechanics
a mech Self-Destructs when the SD button is held for 5seconds, but Why do this?
Self-Destructing causes the pilots Mech to explode in a 25m radius, after a 3 second delay,
during this delay, the Mech locks up(cant fire), the engine over-heats and the boiler explodes,
when the boiler explodes it sends out a heat blast, increasing the temperature in that location,
the heat generated is based on the Engine used, 10% of that Engines Core Power Rating,
(100En = 10heat) (200En = 20heat) (300En = 30heat) (400En = 40heat)

Thoughts Comments Concerns,
Thanks,

Edit- 5m timer Removed
Edit2- System Re-imagined
Edit3- Changed Range
Edit4- Example
Edit5- SD Damage now Heat

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 19 September 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#2 BulletChief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 292 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

Definitely!
That feature has been missing for a long time and would give the players a final purpose after losing all weapons...

#3 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

Ejection would be awesome if your Mechwarrior could die.
At the moment we don't have any Mechwarriors - yes, we have a skilltree for the Mech, but not for Mechwarriors.

IMHO it would be great if you have to assign Mechwarriors to your Mechs and they get the skills.
Skilling up should be different:
After completing all Basic Skills your Mechwarrior can advance to Elite and even Master Level without grinding two other chassis of the same type.
You may even assing this Mechwarrior to a different variant of the same Mech, and he is able to use his skills.

But he may die during battle:
Cockpit destroyed
High Heat
Killed after ejecting

If he is killed, you get the Mech back without pilot and you have to skill up a new one.

#4 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

I'd love to see this to show how your mech died. Fall Damage or Engine Destruction would have you eject, while headshots would have your body explode. It would be cool to see mechs have their own ejection animation ranging from pod launches to Full-Head based.

Edited by Will9761, 10 August 2014 - 09:48 PM.

#5 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:12 PM

I'd really like to see ejection but with XP scaling something like this. So not including win/loss there's 3 possible outcomes after a match. 1. Pilot death = large XP penalty. 2. Eject/surrender = small or no XP penalty. 3. Mech and pilot survives match = No XP penalty or possibly XP bonus.

As for self Destruct It would also be a cool addition. I think damage should be scaled according to the size of the mechs reactor and would count as pilot death. Hopefully an XP penalty would prevent self destruct trolling. Also would need a short warning of some kind to allow near by pilots a chance to eject.

Edited by Maccasimus, 10 August 2014 - 11:14 PM.

#6 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

Ejection, yes please. Though I'd rather not see any bonuses applied to it other than denying a kill.

Self-destruct... no, definitely not. Way open to abuse. Splash death damage is a big no no with the maps in MWO. Also just the equivalent of ejection without that, so yeah.

#7 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:09 AM

Auto ejection on death - Definitely! It would add some much needed immersion.

Self destruct - Heavens to Blake NOOOOOOOOO! We just don't need an obviously abusable mechanic in the game.

#8 LACMAN

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

That would be cool but,if you fight someone and you are going to kill him and he self destructs and you dont get a kill.On one side it would be good,and at the other bad.

#9 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

View PostLACMAN, on 11 August 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

That would be cool but,if you fight someone and you are going to kill him and he self destructs and you dont get a kill.On one side it would be good,and at the other bad.

Mostly just bad.

#10 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

There's a sound file in the build called eject.wav

And it sure does sound to me like someone pulling a giant release lever and getting catapulted.
Yes i am serious.

#11 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

View Postxeromynd, on 11 August 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

And it sure does sound to me like someone pulling a giant release lever and getting catapulted.
Yes i am serious.

... well. That's just a kick in the balls. What else is hidden in there that they've just decided to stop working on?

#12 Nickredace

• PipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 39 posts
  • LocationIn my Direwolf...

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

I like the idea, of both ejection and Self Destruction. I Really don't see what the whole problem of Self destruction though, Yes people can just run up to you and use it, but in a realistic setting... They can do it. But that doesn't make it practical, as the damage is based off the engine which means its also connected to the size of the Mech. If a small mech self destructs that doesn't mean its gonna kill, but if an assault Mech would, it would kill most damaged Mechs. At least that's what I think should happen.

I know its a game and needs balance but somethings can't be passed over because It can be abused. Self Destruction would be a very close Last resort.

Also remember its such a small radius and it takes 3 seconds to activate, which would give someone time to back up some.

#13 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

Greetings all,

I fully agree with the "Eject' option, and Bryan has stated he wants it in the game, 'at some point'.

- And can be worked on in conjunction with the new spectator options and abilities.
- We have already seen the free flight mode during the Tournament challenges, this is exactly where PGI can get the required code from to enable and show the Pilot 'leaving the battlefield'.
- The action of the 'Ejection sequence' as seen from outside or another Mech should require no more than an explosive effect on the Mechs head area. (in theory) As very few Mechs actually 'ejected' the entire head.

But the 'Self Destruct' should never be a option for the Mech Pilot.

- If it were, 'as stated' we would see it abused.
- It should be a detrimental action for the Pilot, loosing everything from that match. (if it was to be an option)
- And possibly costing the replacement charge or part of that Mech, that would stop any sudden 'why not' impulses.

The Tech and Lore states that the Mech Engine's can be 'over revved', they can be supercharged, they can be forced to run hot, but rarely ever was there a catastrophic engine failure. The novel writers have taken quite a bit of leeway in 'creating' this effect 'for there storyline'. The required safety systems in place stopped the engines reaction in millisecond. (as stated, 'it was easy to get a reaction going, but extremely complex and difficult to keep it going.')
- The engine failures that could happen in a sudden violent breaching of the containment chamber, were not explosions. More akin to a hot water tank rupturing or exploding. The reaction stopped, due to the loss of the magnetic containment, but due to the extreme heat and vacuum in the chamber, air was sucked in and blasted out in superheated effects. (if there was actual 'Air' in the environment) This caused an extremely bright light and heat jet, but no where near enough to damage or effect Mech armour.

Just saying,
9erRed

#14 MadLibrarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Essay

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

If the game had meaning on it's own, I'd say yes. With the scrap and repair costs, stuff like this definitely should exist to enhance the tactical elements of game play. Without it being in an actual game framework where your money and damage matters, adding these features just complicate it even more.

This is not really mechwarrior, it's super mechanized smash brothers, so adding this stuff when you can just use the same mech next match, actually just seems a little pointless.

The only value added to the game that makes the game game-like was done by outsiders, because the BT community is pretty awesome. Until PGI makes this into a non-casual game, I'm more or less against all balance changing features.

#15 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

Post Replies

View PostBulletChief, on 10 August 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

Definitely! That feature has been missing for a long time and would give the players a final purpose after losing all weapons...

i agree, and thats why i made this Topic,

View PostAlreech, on 10 August 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

Ejection would be awesome if your Mechwarrior could die. At the moment we don't have any Mechwarriors - yes, we have a skilltree for the Mech, but not for Mechwarriors. IMHO it would be great if you have to assign Mechwarriors to your Mechs and they get the skills. Skilling up should be different: After completing all Basic Skills your Mechwarrior can advance to Elite and even Master Level without grinding two other chassis of the same type. You may even assing this Mechwarrior to a different variant of the same Mech, and he is able to use his skills. But he may die during battle: Cockpit destroyed High Heat Killed after ejecting If he is killed, you get the Mech back without pilot and you have to skill up a new one.

the idea is a EXP boost for multitasking fighting as well as monitoring mech health and status,
having individual Pilots is also cool, but perhaps another topic, thanks though,

View PostWill9761, on 10 August 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

I'd love to see this to show how your mech died. Fall Damage or Engine Destruction would have you eject, while headshots would have your body explode. It would be cool to see mechs have their own ejection animation ranging from pod launches to Full-Head based.

this type of Ejection system would be Manual player initialized, not an Automatic on death trigger,
yes ejecting out as a head or cockpit that alone would be awesome, and add to the game,

View PostMaccasimus, on 10 August 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

I'd really like to see ejection but with XP scaling something like this. So not including win/loss there's 3 possible outcomes after a match. 1. Pilot death = large XP penalty. 2. Eject/surrender = small or no XP penalty. 3. Mech and pilot survives match = No XP penalty or possibly XP bonus. As for self Destruct It would also be a cool addition. I think damage should be scaled according to the size of the mechs reactor and would count as pilot death. Hopefully an XP penalty would prevent self destruct trolling. Also would need a short warning of some kind to allow near by pilots a chance to eject.

the idea was to give the pilot incentives and benefits for using these systems and multitasking, not penalties,
i agree with the engine size, and this has been implemented, thank you for bringing this up,

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 10 August 2014 - 11:21 PM, said:

Ejection, yes please. Though I'd rather not see any bonuses applied to it other than denying a kill. Self-destruct... no, definitely not. Way open to abuse. Splash death damage is a big no no with the maps in MWO. Also just the equivalent of ejection without that, so yeah.

my ejection system isn't about denying a kill but rewarding for mech multitasking,
as stated, i'm working on updating the systems as people post, how would they abuse? thank you,

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 11 August 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

Auto ejection on death - Definitely! It would add some much needed immersion.

Self destruct - Heavens to Blake NOOOOOOOOO! We just don't need an obviously abusable mechanic in the game.

this type of Ejection system would be Manual player initialized, not an Automatic on death trigger,
again i know it could be Abused, how would you fix it? your posts help me try to fix this, thank you,

View PostLACMAN, on 11 August 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

system changed, self-destruction now gives the kill to the last person to do damage, hope this helps,

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 11 August 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

Mostly just bad.

ya sorry for not seeing it sooner, but systems now changed to fix this, thanks,

View Postxeromynd, on 11 August 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

Yes i am serious.

Awesome, so they are(were) working on it, cools,... the more you know, thanks,

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 11 August 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

... well. That's just a kick in the balls. What else is hidden in there that they've just decided to stop working on?

ya, lost forgotten, work, or unfinished work, Easter Eggs are cool though,

View PostNickredace, on 11 August 2014 - 09:48 PM, said:

I like the idea, of both ejection and Self Destruction. I Really don't see what the whole problem of Self destruction though, Yes people can just run up to you and use it, but in a realistic setting... They can do it. But that doesn't make it practical, as the damage is based off the engine which means its also connected to the size of the Mech. If a small mech self destructs that doesn't mean its gonna kill, but if an assault Mech would, it would kill most damaged Mechs. At least that's what I think should happen.

I know its a game and needs balance but somethings can't be passed over because It can be abused. Self Destruction would be a very close Last resort.

Also remember its such a small radius and it takes 3 seconds to activate, which would give someone time to back up some.

yes, and also reduced based on how much health you have, 75%Mech-Health=25%SD-Damage,

View Post9erRed, on 12 August 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

Greetings all,

I fully agree with the "Eject' option, and Bryan has stated he wants it in the game, 'at some point'.

- And can be worked on in conjunction with the new spectator options and abilities.
- We have already seen the free flight mode during the Tournament challenges, this is exactly where PGI can get the required code from to enable and show the Pilot 'leaving the battlefield'.
- The action of the 'Ejection sequence' as seen from outside or another Mech should require no more than an explosive effect on the Mechs head area. (in theory) As very few Mechs actually 'ejected' the entire head.

But the 'Self Destruct' should never be a option for the Mech Pilot.

- If it were, 'as stated' we would see it abused.
- It should be a detrimental action for the Pilot, loosing everything from that match. (if it was to be an option)
- And possibly costing the replacement charge or part of that Mech, that would stop any sudden 'why not' impulses.

The Tech and Lore states that the Mech Engine's can be 'over revved', they can be supercharged, they can be forced to run hot, but rarely ever was there a catastrophic engine failure. The novel writers have taken quite a bit of leeway in 'creating' this effect 'for there storyline'. The required safety systems in place stopped the engines reaction in millisecond. (as stated, 'it was easy to get a reaction going, but extremely complex and difficult to keep it going.')
- The engine failures that could happen in a sudden violent breaching of the containment chamber, were not explosions. More akin to a hot water tank rupturing or exploding. The reaction stopped, due to the loss of the magnetic containment, but due to the extreme heat and vacuum in the chamber, air was sucked in and blasted out in superheated effects. (if there was actual 'Air' in the environment) This caused an extremely bright light and heat jet, but no where near enough to damage or effect Mech armour.

Just saying,
9erRed

thanks, and im sure we will see new options when PGI finally comes out with Ejecting,
thats why im slowly refining it, but losing everything and/or needing to refit your mech, seems abit harsh,
Lore(Yes), if not the engine it self, the Fusion Fuel Rods could be what explodes, with help if needed,

View PostMadLibrarian, on 13 August 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

If the game had meaning on it's own, I'd say yes. With the scrap and repair costs, stuff like this definitely should exist to enhance the tactical elements of game play. Without it being in an actual game framework where your money and damage matters, adding these features just complicate it even more.

This is not really mechwarrior, it's super mechanized smash brothers, so adding this stuff when you can just use the same mech next match, actually just seems a little pointless.

The only value added to the game that makes the game game-like was done by outsiders, because the BT community is pretty awesome. Until PGI makes this into a non-casual game, I'm more or less against all balance changing features.

on a count on Scrap and Repair, i do see your point, but i would say thats another topic, thanks though,
these would be tools to try to bring out helping your Team win, as the Team is most important here,
they are awesome, many of us are TT players and BT enthusiasts, thanks again,

thank you all for posting

Edit- Spelling,

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 13 August 2014 - 09:33 PM.

#16 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

Greetings all,

@ Andi:

- There are no Rods in a Fusion reaction chamber. (your thinking of a common day fission reactor)
- The reaction is created from splitting a very small element of some of it's mass
- The referenced 'gas' element that was used in BattleTech is "light" hydrogen, protium, rather than hydrogen's heavier isotopes deuterium and tritium.
- A BattleMech's fusion engine can usually last for decades on a few kilograms of hydrogen.
- In modern fusion reactors(BattleTech Timeline), the normal hydrogen used for fuel is extracted from any number of sources - particularly water. Because of this, most military fusion engines include an electrolysis unit to extract hydrogen from water.

See here for more info:
http://www.sarna.net...i/Fusion_Engine

And a very good write up essay about Mech's in general, specifically the engines here:
http://www.sarna.net...#Fusion_Engines
- As a reference to all things Mech, this is an excellent Tech and 'fluff' read. I think everyone should read it just for some back story.

9erRed

#17 Nickredace

• PipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

View Post9erRed, on 14 August 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

Greetings all,

@ Andi:

- There are no Rods in a Fusion reaction chamber. (your thinking of a common day fission reactor)
- The reaction is created from splitting a very small element of some of it's mass
- The referenced 'gas' element that was used in BattleTech is "light" hydrogen, protium, rather than hydrogen's heavier isotopes deuterium and tritium.
- A BattleMech's fusion engine can usually last for decades on a few kilograms of hydrogen.
- In modern fusion reactors(BattleTech Timeline), the normal hydrogen used for fuel is extracted from any number of sources - particularly water. Because of this, most military fusion engines include an electrolysis unit to extract hydrogen from water.

See here for more info:
http://www.sarna.net...i/Fusion_Engine

And a very good write up essay about Mech's in general, specifically the engines here:
http://www.sarna.net...#Fusion_Engines
- As a reference to all things Mech, this is an excellent Tech and 'fluff' read. I think everyone should read it just for some back story.

9erRed

Since Mech's can't explode by overheating, then what if self-destruction was a Modular addition? So what if you could equip the main torso with high explosives or something of that nature. would that work???

#18 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

Greetings all,

Sorry I'm not trying to make fun of you,

But you intentionally want to place explosive devices on the outside of a vehicle that will be subjected to missile and direct fire?
- Yes you could probably do that, ONCE.

I can't see in any of the Factions militaries the intentional destruction of a very expensive Mech being used as an explosive suicide weapon. Not ever.

9erRed

#19 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

MW4 had High Explosive, that could be equipped in Missile Slots. It was great for a laugh, but in all practicality, Missiles worked better. Also, no House Military would EVER authorise the use of a Battlemech for a suicide bombing. The WoB Jihadists, sure. But even Pirates would not risk something so valuable as a Mech, just to blow something up. That's what Savannah Masters are for. Lots of Savannah Masters. With nukes.....

Edited by Thunder Child, 15 August 2014 - 05:16 PM.

#20 Nickredace

• PipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

View Post9erRed, on 15 August 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

Greetings all,

Sorry I'm not trying to make fun of you,

But you intentionally want to place explosive devices on the outside of a vehicle that will be subjected to missile and direct fire?
- Yes you could probably do that, ONCE.

I can't see in any of the Factions militaries the intentional destruction of a very expensive Mech being used as an explosive suicide weapon. Not ever.

9erRed

um... no. Why would you place Explosive devices on the outside??

Yes I do want to intentionally place explosive devices on the inside of the Mech, why? because when a Mech is destroyed on the battle field either by the clans or another house it can be salvaged by the winning faction.

You should see that the Faction's military would intentionally destroy their own very expensive Mech to stop it from being taken as very expensive scrap by the enemy Factions. So logically yea, it does make sense in a military point of view, I mean you wouldn't want your opponent to be ripping lasers from your allies corpses and using them to kill more of your allies would you? Also they would be able to damage an enemy Mech in the process.

View PostThunder Child, on 15 August 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

MW4 had High Explosive, that could be equipped in Missile Slots. It was great for a laugh, but in all practicality, Missiles worked better. Also, no House Military would EVER authorise the use of a Battlemech for a suicide bombing. The WoB Jihadists, sure. But even Pirates would not risk something so valuable as a Mech, just to blow something up. That's what Savannah Masters are for. Lots of Savannah Masters. With nukes.....

*Sigh*

The Use of a self-destruct option/equipment would be to damage an enemy Mech before your own destruction, also known as mutual destruction. It is not intended for Running up and going Al la la la la la la la la *explosion* as it would be a waste of the Mech's potintial damage, as the only type of Mech's that would even have the suitible speed to pull of such bombings would be lights and the amount of explosives you would have put on it wouldn't be enough to kill a medium, heavy, or assualt, and another light would be able to get out of the blast radius in time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users