61 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Please use this thread for general discussion and feedback on Unit Pre-Registrations.

Please read the Rules for Unit Pre-Registration here: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/167838-unit-pre-registration-rules/

Thie is NOT the Registration page; You can find that here: http://mwomercs.com/...istration-form/

This thread is NOT for raising issues in Pre-Registration. You can bring up your concerns here: http://mwomercs.com/...s-and-concerns/

#2 War Steiner

• PipPipPip
  • General III
  • General III
  • 95 posts
  • LocationTerceira, Azores, Portugal

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

What are your intentions for canon names? Is this just for creating mercenary units? At some point can we join or even manage/lead canon units - specifically house units? We have invested in our house and unit and not enough information has been provided for us to make a commitment one way or the other.

***Woo first post!***

Edited by War Steiner, 13 August 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#3 Alex Reed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Free Worlds League

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

I appreciate the fact that Founders were able to register units first.

That was an unexpected bonus and I, for one, surely appreciate it. After taking all the time to build up a unit since Closed Beta, it would have been pretty bad to let the name be taken by someone with an alt account.

I just wanted to take the time to applaud whoever came up with this decision as I think it will forestall a lot of claiming and naming issues. I also appreciate that we were able to do it without a C-Bill cost. Two very well-conceived decisions.

Kudos to you! :wub:

Alex...

#4 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

View PostWar Steiner, on 13 August 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

What are your intentions for canon names? Is this just for creating mercenary units? At some point can we join or even manage/lead canon units - specifically house units? We have invested in our house and unit and not enough information has been provided for us to make a commitment one way or the other.

http://mwomercs.com/...stration-rules/

They have a pretty thorough rundown of canon names here.

#5 Ellen Ripley

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 200 posts
  • LocationLV-426

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

Ok, here's something I think needs improving:

"Unit Tags must be between 1 and 4 Characters long.
  • Please note: Unit Tags are NOT unique."
That's bad. No team wants another team to run around with the same Tags.

You can help more variety by allowing Unit Tags to consist of more than only 4 characters please.

Also allow us to use the
+
character please.

Best Regards,
+STS+ Ellen Ripley

#6 War Steiner

• PipPipPip
  • General III
  • General III
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

Saw that. They just say no canon names. Well, what are they going to do with them? They have to have a plan/reason to hold back. MANY units have been playing for years as canon names and or house units (not just money grubbing mercs :wub: ) and we'd like to know how to play this out before we make up something close without running a foul of the rules.

#7 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

View PostWar Steiner, on 13 August 2014 - 03:21 PM, said:

Saw that. They just say no canon names. Well, what are they going to do with them? They have to have a plan/reason to hold back. MANY units have been playing for years as canon names and or house units (not just money grubbing mercs :wub: ) and we'd like to know how to play this out before we make up something close without running a foul of the rules.

Actually they link a fairly long list of names and also ways to be "similar" but with a unique naming twist to prevent you from co-opting an existing canon name.

Many units have been playing as canon names for years and they've been told quite clearly, MWO will not allow for that. So, your best bet is to choose something like a potential sub-unit of an existing lore name or something similar if you want to rock your given House without losing your opportunity to retain a unique unit name.

#8 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

View PostWar Steiner, on 13 August 2014 - 03:21 PM, said:

You can have canon names if you make your unit a subset. Like the 36th Grey Death Legion. You aren't GDL, just a unit within them.

#9 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

Grendel's Blue Star Irregulars registered... it's a spin-off, unit sigs and unit website artwork pending update :wub:

#10 War Steiner

• PipPipPip
  • General III
  • General III
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

Wow, you just don't get it. Must be my poor schoolin' (Florida education). My apologies...

I'm asking "Why"? Is there a plan afoot haven't or you are not telling us? Sure, you tell us how to circumvent the rules. OK, I get it. What is the thinking behind it? Will there be canon units down the road we should be waiting for? Are you planning to seed canon units in to established teams?

Should I establish us as a single regiment or 3 separate battalions (each with it's own Commander)?

Just trying to get as much information as possible to make educated decisions that we wont have to go slumming back to PGI requesting changes be made later.

#11 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

View PostWar Steiner, on 13 August 2014 - 03:39 PM, said:

Wow, you just don't get it. Must be my poor schoolin' (Florida education). My apologies...

I'm asking "Why"? Is there a plan afoot haven't or you are not telling us? Sure, you tell us how to circumvent the rules. OK, I get it. What is the thinking behind it? Will there be canon units down the road we should be waiting for? Are you planning to seed canon units in to established teams?

Should I establish us as a single regiment or 3 separate battalions (each with it's own Commander)?

Just trying to get as much information as possible to make educated decisions that we wont have to go slumming back to PGI requesting changes be made later.

They need them for the planets, NPC units, and likely unplanned features.

#12 Kaboodle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 104 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

You mean pre registering is through a FORUM TOPIC?...Seriously? I mean I know that's how we did it in 1996 and all, but still. A nice web form that links to a database like is used for uh....everything on the internet? Would work fine.

Edited by Kaboodle, 13 August 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#13 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

<S> Greetings, Nikolai.

I thank you for getting this off the ground and will echo Alex Reed in his sentiment. The decision to not require Cbills and also allow founders an opportunity to pre-register were both quite pleasant surprises for me.

I've been in the game now since the second round of closed beta invites, and I for one feel quite excited to see this step being taken now.

Looking forward to seeing the full implementation of Community Warfare in the coming weeks and months. Keep up the good work, and thank you for the effort put forth thus far.

<S> In the mean time, I'll see you rowdy lot dirtside.

-Colonel Andrew "Havoc" Davis
Death's Hand Brigade Mercenaries

#14 Buzzlight

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts
  • LocationMontreal Canada

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

Can a player be part of 2 units? Like an IS and a clan one? Otherwise I, and many, many others will only play half their Mechs....

Buzzlight

#15 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

35 characters now? We were perfect at 36. Now I have to delete a space somewhere.

#16 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

View PostBuzzlight, on 13 August 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

Can a player be part of 2 units? Like an IS and a clan one? Otherwise I, and many, many others will only play half their Mechs....

Buzzlight

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 13 August 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

Not at this time. Each player can only join one Merc Corps at a time.

Of course, unless you are aligned to a particular house/clan you pretty much can still use whatever mechs you want right?

Within the limits of what PGI do with 12/10 and clan v IS of course..

I also notice that PGI does not include any fields for Faction alliances? Thought this would be really useful info for the devs to have.. ..after all, CW is going to be pretty lame if 90% of the players decided to go with a clan merc unit.... ;) just saying.

#17 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

if your in a IS unit why would you buy clan mechs ?
no mixed tech or mixed teams was public knowledge

#18 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

View PostNaduk, on 13 August 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

if your in a IS unit why would you buy clan mechs ?
no mixed tech or mixed teams was public knowledge

If you are in a merc unit with no specific affiliation or allegiance...

I qoute myself "Within the limits of what PGI do with 12/10 and clan v IS of course.."

#19 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 13 August 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

...CW is going to be pretty lame if 90% of the players decided to go with a clan merc unit.... ;) just saying...

FYI, Clans did not use merc units.

You have to understand, there is war on two fronts:

Major House vs Major House

Clan vs Inner Sphere

Mercenary units were hired by Major Houses to perform some type of mission. Some merc units were affiliated directly with only one major House, but was not officially part of that House while other merc units were truly open to the highest bidder.

Edited by Zyllos, 13 August 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#20 Chief Tigris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 281 posts
  • LocationUndisclosed Location

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

Question that hasn't been asked as of yet.

Our unit, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, has been wanting to change our name for some time now and have been waiting until CW was released and registration began.

Will I as it's creator and a Founder be able to link our current threads, ect. and register it under our new name?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users