Trading Battle'mechs

41 replies to this topic

Poll: Battle'Mech Trades with friends. (184 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we be able to trade Battle'Mechs with friends?

1. Voted Yes of course! I've got that dusty old _____ just sitting in my mechbay. (122 votes [66.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.30%

2. No, they're mine, all MINE! (62 votes [33.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:27 AM

use the gift system to help out your friends? then everyone is happy

#22 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

For those that haven't figured out why this is a terrible idea (at least from PGI's standpoint):

1. If players are allowed to trade mechs and other items in-game, then farmers could monetize their operations which could be used as a means of undercutting PGI out of money.

2. Allowing players to trade mechs would also give account hackers a reason to hack accounts to farm them for their inventory.

Those are just two of the many reasons why this is a sucky idea.

#23 Grimolfr

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTerran Republic

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:52 PM

No, it'd be a huge incentive for account hacking. Didn't you make another post along these lines yesterday?

While I don't disagree with this when considered from the positive side of it all, the negatives far outweigh it.

#24 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:55 PM

View PostGrimolfr, on 13 February 2015 - 07:52 PM, said:

No, it'd be a huge incentive for account hacking. Didn't you make another post along these lines yesterday?

While I don't disagree with this when considered from the positive side of it all, the negatives far outweigh it.

Do notice the date of this thread's creation/last post. Just to make note of it.

#25 Grimolfr

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTerran Republic

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

View PostTesunie, on 13 February 2015 - 07:55 PM, said:

Do notice the date of this thread's creation/last post. Just to make note of it.

Welp, there we go ;)

#26 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:26 AM

like.....

making Diablo3 Auction House with mechs ? This will debalance purchasing mechs for MC. I dont think PGI want this.

#27 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:22 PM

Giving away a mech? No.

But it would be nice to be able to sell used mechs to other players for your own set price.

#28 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:44 PM

View PostTitannium, on 24 May 2015 - 02:26 AM, said:

like.....

making Diablo3 Auction House with mechs ? This will debalance purchasing mechs for MC. I dont think PGI want this.

I think making used mechs have some signifier such as reduced stats or something would correct that problem.

#29 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:05 PM

GIVING other players your 'mechs? no.

But, when you join the Group Queue, you should be allowed to let other players within your group *borrow* your mechs for a single battle. Ideally, a commander should be able to look at all the pilots in his group, and assign each of them a 'mech from his stable. That way, I can build a lance that's designed to work well together, and then find 3 Mechwarriors willing to pilot the other 3 'mechs - without waiting for each of them to coordinate with each other from their own 'mech stables.

Just "here, you take the brawler King Crab, you take the LRM Stalker, you take the TAG+BAP Spider, and you take the sniper Cicada." It would cut down massively on group coordination time.

Edited by Ialdabaoth, 20 October 2015 - 04:08 PM.

#30 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:05 PM

I've played games where such thing is possible. On one hand it can give you chance to help a team member, which is good. But on the other, someone could get crazy strong that way without paying a dime, which would probably make paying players mad. I think, unless carefully implemented, it would create more problems instead of being helpful.

I would suggest there be a limit of some kind with trading, maybe only one trade a day can be done, or trade in a way that would not give someone an unfair advantage(like giving someone your assault mech for a light mech).

Edited by Independence MK2, 20 October 2015 - 05:10 PM.

#31 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:10 PM

View PostIndependence MK2, on 20 October 2015 - 05:05 PM, said:

someone could get crazy strong that way

how?

Edited by Makenzie71, 20 October 2015 - 05:19 PM.

#32 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:58 PM

View PostIndependence MK2, on 20 October 2015 - 05:05 PM, said:

...someone could get crazy strong that way...

Not worried about someone getting something strong. I'd be more worried about the gold farmers and hackers suddenly having a reason to compromise accounts, and then hearing the gold bot spammers in chats constantly afterwards.

I'd rather just leave it with no trading, as much as trading/buying/giving mechs to friends would be fun and helpful, I don't think it would be worth the risk.

PS: This thread is over a year old now, and it wasn't getting responses for a while. Some dark rituals must have been preformed recently, because a lot of old threads have been getting resurrected...

#33 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:00 AM

I'd say no.

1) It would take developer effort to code and avoid bugs/exploits.
2) It would create a secondary market to buy/sell mechs. (I give my useless locust and $10 on the side to someone for a hero mech they don't want any more).
3) It would cut into PGIs revenues. I can trade a mech (and a bit of cash) to get a hero mech that costs twice as much if I buy it from PGI.

As long as folks don't have the option to trade, they won't think of ways to take advantage of the system. In the long run, I think it would cost PGI sales while not significantly increasing player retention which would be bad for the game in the long run.

(... and yes I have lots of mechs I don't use which would be candidates for trading :) ... but I still think it would be a bad idea).

#34 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:51 AM

No, no, no, NO!

*ANY* kind of trading between players opens the door for all kinds of horrific nonsense that would poison the community.

Blackmail/Bribery/Extortion
"Gold Selling" (In this case, Mech selling. Black market trades would be cheaper than real MC purchases)

I replied to another similar suggestion recently, and the list was longer. You get the point.

If you don't like some old junk mech you have sitting around, sell it for C-Bills and use those towards your new mech. Anyway, nobody is going to give you a C-Bill 13m mech in exchage for some cheapo junk mech at 4m.

My vote = NO

#35 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:54 PM

Threadnecromancy is at work here...

Besides that, continue on. Posted Image

#36 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:20 AM

Seeing as PGI already has the trial mechs system where the 'free' mechs do not go anywhere even if the player wanted to keep it they couldn't.

however if in a unit these mechs would be seen as a'stable' mechs like in Solaris 7 where the Stable owner owns the mechs and their warriors pilot them.

Which means it could work here as well, once donated the mech becomes property of the unit, now if the player was to leave the unit then the mech is permanently lost to the player who donated it.

There should also be a pop up box that warns the player that it would be final and cannot be undone like when we go to sell units or equipment.

Now if players don't wish to donate the mech then they could always donate C-bills instead that would only go towards mechs and weapons.

#37 Aeon Veritas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 113 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:17 AM

I think VinJade goes in the right direction.
But I belive the donation should not be permanet, because this could encurage to sell Units with good/big stables for real money...
Lets restrict the stable size to something like up to 72 mechs in the stable, accumulated in steps of 2 stable bays per 10 unit member.
Then make the mechs available for max. 30 days, after this the "share contract" needs to be renewed.
The share contract is also void if the unit member which provides the mech leaves the unit.

Further the restriction to the stable mechs should be likewise as for trial mechs.
They can not mount any modules or MC-consumables and mech skills are not in effect (My conclusion is: if you have the mech skills unlocked you own this mech and should just adapt the layout and use your own).
But they can mount and use Cbill-consumables, which are, if used, payed for at the end of the match by the user.
Nevertheless like trial mechs, stable mechs accumulate mech-XP for this variant.

Regarding the numbers above:
72 mechs are equal to 2 CW Teams made out of new-bros (everyone gets 3 stable mechs and has one bought from the cadet bonus)
And with the 2 bays per 10 members it would result in total of 360 unit members to unlock all stable bays.
Though I'm not sure what the average unit size is, maybe 4 bays per 10 (or 2 per 5) members would be more suitable, resulting is 180 members to unlock all stable bays.

#38 Christopher Hamilton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII, Steiner Sector

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:06 AM

maybe not trade, but Hand off one or two unused mechs as lending to the unit pool ?

#39 Jack McNealy

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:26 AM

personal opinion:
- uncontrolled trading/selling of "old" or unused mechs in some kind of auction house is no a good idea
-> "gold" farmers , possible compromising of accounts , undercutting PGI's possible ventures
BUT !
a Unit Stable where Unit members can put in mechs to share with the unit would be agreat idea to help out starting players with mechs/builds
--> suggestion for a Unit stable :
-mechs put in the Unit Stable stay in possession of the pilot who put them there (of course as long as they are in the unit stable you can not use them yourself)
-a mech can be "checked out" of the unit stable for 24 hpurs max , after 24 hours it returns to the stable
-stable size 4 mechbays per 12 unit members (just a suggestion) but 4 bays mean you can put in four mechs for a CW drop deck
---> maybe make it possible to buy mechs from the unit stable with the payment going into the unit coffers ??? only if there is a way to use the unit coffers

just my two cents
cheers and GL & HF

#40 Perq

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:45 PM

Cuz that would mean less moneyz, and if it doesn't print monetz, iz bad!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users