Weapons Upgrades Loadout

11 replies to this topic

#1 Axys Rageborn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 July 2022 - 07:02 PM

I wish to preface this as a "Personal Want" and that I am fully aware that this is not likely to happen but thought was a cool idea worth sharing / discussing about. Also that I am really enjoying how things have been going lately and hope that this continues for a long time .

Machine gun arrays for both Clan & IS

Why - I personally really like machine guns (especially LMGs as they are now) and think this could be a good way to offer a (new) set of weapons that fill the weight gap between machine guns and the rest of the ballistic family. Also would allow for ballistic slots that would be wasted using a single MGs to become more useful without becoming to problematic.

Basically combining 3 of the same MGs into one weapon system to allow for a gap filler (1.25 - 3.5 ton) in the ballistic weapons class. They could use the RAC models (2s for MG/LMG and 5 for HMG) just shrunk down to look more appropriate

To achieve this it could be done by using the same setup as with Artemis for missiles. You either have Arrays or normal MGs, you can't have both. It would be an upgrade toggle that would cost Cbills and change the weapon system just like Artemis does. (doesn't effect ammo)

To keep the weapons in check I would add Heat to all as a way to balance them out to stop certain mechs from becoming even stronger then they are now. (I find it weird that normal MGs dont produce any heat atm but its a game so its easy to overlook)

Examples (stats are flexible)

//// IS Arrays

// IS MG Array
- 3 slots
- 2 ton - (1.5 for the guns 0.5 for the array housing)
- 10 Health
- 0.3 DMG
- 1 Heat

// IS LMG Array
- 3 slots
- 2 ton - (1.5 for the guns 0.5 for the array housing)
- 10 Health
- 0.24 DMG
- 0.8 Heat

// IS HMG Array
- 3 slots
- 3.5 ton - (3 for the guns 0.5 for the array housing)
- 10 Health
- 0.45 DMG
- 1.4 Heat

//// Clan Arrays

// Clan MG Array
- 3 slots
- 1.25 ton - (0.25 for the guns 0.5 for the array housing)
- 10 Health
- 0.3 DMG
- 1.3 Heat

// Clan LMG Array
- 3 slots
- 1.25 ton - (0.25 for the guns 0.5 for the array housing)
- 10 Health
- 0.24 DMG
- 1 Heat

// Clan HMG Array
- 3 slots
- 3.5 ton - (3 for the guns 0.5 for the array housing)
- 10 Health
- 0.45 DMG
- 1.8 Heat

Clans Arrays run hotter as they have less shielding which makes them lighter but hotter. This is to try and stop them from becoming too powerful within certain loadouts.

The rest of the stats would stay the same but I would tone down Crit which I think is on the cards anyways.

Again this is my personal take on things and I'm sure if this became reality the people who tune the stats (Cauldron/PGI) would do better job then me.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 21 July 2022 - 07:06 PM

mgas are a good way to mass machine guns without massing crit potential. also useful for heavier mechs that only have a couple ballistic points.

#3 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,754 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 21 July 2022 - 07:42 PM

I think the main argument against this isn't gameplay but dev time. It would require new art assets that would have to be tested out on every mech with a ballistic hardpoint. Since they only seem willing to fund xml edits and new mechs or redos of old maps using existing assets sadly this is just a nice wish.

#4 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 21 July 2022 - 08:25 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 21 July 2022 - 07:42 PM, said:

I think the main argument against this isn't gameplay but dev time. It would require new art assets that would have to be tested out on every mech with a ballistic hardpoint. Since they only seem willing to fund xml edits and new mechs or redos of old maps using existing assets sadly this is just a nice wish.

Let's be honest, pretty sure they could cheat and use the UAC5/UAC2/Rotary models for these. We had 4 mechwarriors and part of this one without dynamic hardpoints, I think we can live without them until they can work some art assets.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 21 July 2022 - 08:26 PM.

#5 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,754 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 21 July 2022 - 08:36 PM

I don't disagree on the reusing of art assets for new weapons with some minor modifications and recoloring. But it still takes active dev time and thats a dice roll on getting the green light at this point. There was a big thread about adding in the rest of the BT universe weapons that covered this.

#6 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 July 2022 - 06:05 AM

Isn't what we have in game technically machine gun arrays already.. i mean boating mg and them all hitting the exact same spot?

#7 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 08:35 AM

I would give clans Light autocannons, they're introduced at the same time as machine gun arrays
It's a hard sell for clan mechs with many hardpoints to give up on them for machine gun arrays.

LAC5 is 5ton for 5 damage and there's only two LAC, LAC2 and LAC5

LAC fires 1 damage for each bullet.

#8 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 24 July 2022 - 08:46 AM

View PostNomad Tech, on 24 July 2022 - 06:05 AM, said:

Isn't what we have in game technically machine gun arrays already.. i mean boating mg and them all hitting the exact same spot?

Sort of but depends on the range, as MGs do actually have spread so much like Artemis IV, it could just reduce the spread which would be most helpful on HMGs especially given how much of a waste of tonnage they are (twice the tonnage for only 50% more damage, shorter range, and more spread? Pass).

#9 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 July 2022 - 08:53 AM

View Postcaravann, on 24 July 2022 - 08:35 AM, said:

I would give clans Light autocannons, they're introduced at the same time as machine gun arrays
It's a hard sell for clan mechs with many hardpoints to give up on them for machine gun arrays.

LAC5 is 5ton for 5 damage and there's only two LAC, LAC2 and LAC5

LAC fires 1 damage for each bullet.

The Clan versions of LACs are called PACs - Protomech Autocannons. They're weird because they come in sizes of 2, 4, and 8.

Edited by FupDup, 24 July 2022 - 08:53 AM.

#10 SirNotlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 335 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 05:29 PM

I think light AC 2 and 5s would be easier to implement since they would just need to create a separate weapon. could use the same model as the non light versions just change the range and velocity.

#11 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 09:26 PM

This thread has been moved to Feature Suggestions

#12 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, would be nice...can u imagine ultraviolet now? Holy moly! Not long ranged, but man, if enemy mechs get closer...ouchy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users