52 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Strike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:41 PM

uhhmmmm rare for me to say this directly to PGI but,...... Your challenge point system is asking for LRM boat matches and guess what....it worked....no fun ....just LRM BOATS EVERYWHERE....we had the same thing on the last challenge how's that you didn't see this coming ?

4 days of this "#$ really ?!!!!

Edited by strikebrch, 05 September 2014 - 07:11 PM.

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

It's fantastic. You get close, and they panic and flail.

5 MGs and 6 MPLs was so fun, even one shotting a few rear torsi. But that 55% heat spike....why PGI...why do you hate my wub makers.

#3 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

People have been ignoring my hero spider, when they really shouldnt when I am lobbing an srm6 in their back.

#4 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:16 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 05 September 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

It's fantastic. You get close, and they panic and flail.

5 MGs and 6 MPLs was so fun, even one shotting a few rear torsi. But that 55% heat spike....why PGI...why do you hate my wub makers.

The Wubstep™ must be stopped.

#5 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:29 PM

I tried guys really. But LRMs , ECM and NARC everywhere for me is just completely unplayable.

Nothing , i swear , NOTHING made me take a break from this game....but this "challenge" think?....jeshhh definetly going back in 4 days.

Edited by strikebrch, 05 September 2014 - 07:31 PM.

#6 vash021

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:34 PM

View Poststrikebrch, on 05 September 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

I tried guys really. But LRMs , ECM and NARC everywhere for me is just completely unplayable.

Nothing , i swear , NOTHING made me take a break from this game....but this "challenge" think?....jeshhh definetly going back in 4 days.

play pugs if it is that horrible

#7 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:52 PM

Well PGI removed PPCs which are primary anti-LRM weapons. That's what you are seeing. Plus, if I need a long range option now it's only LRMs that I could use.

You know, the first thing you learn in playing MechWarrior is that the weapons all have a sphere of power and they function like scissors, paper, stone. So you don't nerf them for being powerful in their sphere of power, even though many players may specialize in them, because they create an interactive balancing once they are all put together.

#8 DarkMetalBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:11 PM

I've had a look at the challenge details for this one: You have to be in a group of four in order to get the points for it??

Mmmmmmmmno...

I unfortunately never bothered playing with a group, so I may very well sit this one out. & from the sound of things in the previous posts, I don't seem to be missing much.

Soloist 4 life.

Edited by DarkMetalBlade, 05 September 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#9 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:30 PM

Its not terrible. I played today and I am already at over 400 points and I didnt run an LRM boat. Although I did through a narc on my TW to get more points even if we didnt have much in the way of mistle boats haha.

#10 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:58 PM

In the end i found lance (finally) and now half of Tier 2 completed.......DIRE WHALE with phraken pattern is !"#$ awesome!!!!

Edited by strikebrch, 06 September 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#11 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

actually, the biggest problem of this challenge is just getting 4 people together.

#12 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:43 PM

Tryhards will tell you there are no LRMs in the group queue, and this challenge kinda proves what they've been saying about how LRMs are only useful for farming pugs, because nobody complained about lrms in the group queue before pugs showed up to do the challenge. As soon as the challenge is over, things should get back to normal.

Edited by lockwoodx, 06 September 2014 - 08:46 PM.

#13 Horusv2

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:44 AM

Usually I am only playing solo. But for this challenge I teamed up with random people from the Forum. We did not use any voip tool and did fairly well most of the time. LRMs were not that big of a problem as some people make it sound like. In fact most of these LRM teams fold pretty quick when you are up in their face.

Edited by Horusv2, 07 September 2014 - 03:45 AM.

#14 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:26 AM

The reason people are taking LRMs is to give others those spotting assist awards. If you could get those awards for other weapon types (granted, I don't know how since the other option is direct fire) then there wouldn't be so many LRMs. Granted, I have seen a lot of teams still running direct fire to do the challenge. You can probably get more wins that way, but much less points. Using the NARC, TAG, UAV, LRM builds with ML backups, I had a round with 98 points in it. Makes the challenge to pretty quickly.

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:01 AM

View Poststrikebrch, on 05 September 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

uhhmmmm rare for me to say this directly to PGI but,...... Your challenge point system is asking for LRM boat matches and guess what....it worked....no fun ....just LRM BOATS EVERYWHERE....we had the same thing on the last challenge how's that you didn't see this coming ?

Yes it works, Yes there is Much missiles flying. It is a nice change from Cannons and lightning. I have seen lots of Arty, been hit by quite a bit more of it than normal, Seen tons of cone trails, and I just had a roaring good time. If you want to avoid the Challenge's meta then I suggest you play PUG till its over.

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:05 AM

View PostBhelogan, on 07 September 2014 - 04:26 AM, said:

The reason people are taking LRMs is to give others those spotting assist awards. If you could get those awards for other weapon types (granted, I don't know how since the other option is direct fire) then there wouldn't be so many LRMs. Granted, I have seen a lot of teams still running direct fire to do the challenge. You can probably get more wins that way, but much less points. Using the NARC, TAG, UAV, LRM builds with ML backups, I had a round with 98 points in it. Makes the challenge to pretty quickly.

I have gotten Spotting bonuses for having pressed the R on a Mech I didn't even have LoS on. I am not completely ok with this but if it is how it is set up, then I am happy to be rewarded for providing a Lock to my team.

#17 PrettyPrettyHateMachine

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 16 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:51 AM

A little pissed about this challenge to be honest. I have liked the other challenges as a way to reward me for playing. When I read about the rules for this challenge I was like WTF? What about the players that don't play in teams of 4 or more? So clearly we were uninivted, and I have no interest in joining a group or anything like that. In fact this challenge has actually deincentivized me to play, knowing that other people are being rewarded and I am not, so waste of time. Did not play one minute of MWO this weekend, working as intended PGI.

#18 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:31 AM

View PostPrettyPrettyHateMachine, on 07 September 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

A little pissed about this challenge to be honest. I have liked the other challenges as a way to reward me for playing. When I read about the rules for this challenge I was like WTF? What about the players that don't play in teams of 4 or more? So clearly we were uninivted, and I have no interest in joining a group or anything like that. In fact this challenge has actually deincentivized me to play, knowing that other people are being rewarded and I am not, so waste of time. Did not play one minute of MWO this weekend, working as intended PGI.

Good. Get a taste of how we felt in all the other challenges before, being forced to play in derp queue.

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:38 AM

View Poststrikebrch, on 05 September 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

gave me an opportunity to learn the art of NARCing and test different "extreme" NARC builds.

#20 Tatula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:45 AM

I think PGI wanted to see if they can encourage people to group up. Many people who would have just PUG otherwise joined up with random people for the challenge. I think it definitely encouraged communication, even without VOIP. Some of us random lances did better than some pre-made lances with VOIP. Even with minimal communication via text chat, grouping up will let otherwise solo players to experience team play.

Plus, getting into the group queue gives the player the opportunity to decide which mechs to bring as to complement each other. This NARC/ECM/TAG LRM boats lances is a partial result of that.

Edited by Aloha, 07 September 2014 - 09:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users