The New Nova

49 replies to this topic

#1 CEOAnexor

Rookie

• The God
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:37 PM

Since the recent heat nerfs for clan lasers(basically a nova nerf, right after they released it :blink:), here is the new NVA-PRIME build.

3 ERML per arm is 3 less DMG than 6 ERSL but has increased range. They weigh the same but the ERML take up less room, allowing for an extra DHS in each arm.

Basically, you will run cooler, and have more range than the standard 12x ERSL build at the cost of a measly 6 DMG per alpha.

You can alpha 3 times without overheat, and you don't have to worry about accidentally firing both arms and receiving huge ghost heat penalties. This is a stable, cool running build B)

#2 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationRight behind you o.o

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:11 PM

I've been running a near identical build since I first got my hands on the Nova on day one. Its definitely a more efficient build as you said, plus its a lot of fun, so I really recommend Nova pilots give it a try if they haven't yet :) The only real difference on mine is a DHS was swapped out for a second ton of ammo, but that was to accommodate my trigger-happy tendencies :ph34r:

Spoiler

Edit: Also be sure that on whichever config you build this, don't use the Prime arms as they penalise arm movement and energy cooldown.

Edit: Since the recent Clan quirk patch the Prime arms no longer have any penalties and in fact have -5% Energy Heat Generation quirks (the -S arms have this quirk also).

Edited by CyborgDragon, 07 January 2015 - 11:41 PM.

#3 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:12 PM

View PostCEOAnexor, on 06 September 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

Since the recent heat nerfs for clan lasers(basically a nova nerf, right after they released it :blink:), here is the new NVA-PRIME build.

3 ERML per arm is 3 less DMG than 6 ERSL but has increased range. They weigh the same but the ERML take up less room, allowing for an extra DHS in each arm.

Basically, you will run cooler, and have more range than the standard 12x ERSL build at the cost of a measly 6 DMG per alpha.

You can alpha 3 times without overheat, and you don't have to worry about accidentally firing both arms and receiving huge ghost heat penalties. This is a stable, cool running build B)

I run 4 in each Arm. Best combination for it, i get the highest numbers i have seen with it. The Alpha can save your live if used right.

#4 CEOAnexor

Rookie

• The God
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:01 AM

Yeah I find that one ton of MG ammo is enough, the match will end or I'll be dead before I use it all.

Thanks for the tip on the arms, I noticed they are much more responsive than the PRIMES.

#5 SirSlaughter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 370 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:50 AM

They killed a mech that already was difficult to play. I really hope in some quirks

#6 Asterios

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 627 posts
  • LocationBelarus, Minsk

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:18 AM

Funny to see prime as S-variant :)

#7 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:57 AM

View PostCEOAnexor, on 07 September 2014 - 04:01 AM, said:

Thanks for the tip on the arms, I noticed they are much more responsive than the PRIMES.

No problem :)

View PostAsterios, on 08 September 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

That's the thing with omnipods, it rarely matters what config you're using, unless it has a unique CT hardpoint. So I put my most played build from the first clan tests (before release) on the Prime for the C-bill boost.

Edited by CyborgDragon, 08 September 2014 - 01:57 AM.

#8 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:25 AM

View PostAsterios, on 08 September 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

After keeping the Prime Kitfox, and not like seeing "prime" on the scoreboard, I kept the S, and use the prime variant, LOL
S felt over all better in stock form than the other two also
just my .02

#9 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:28 AM

whoa, OP, you're running zero back armor?

every so often I'll catch someone doing that, easy to tell, spray with MG and it quickly turns yellow, then full focus attack on rear.

#10 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:13 AM

View PostThatDawg, on 08 September 2014 - 03:28 AM, said:

whoa, OP, you're running zero back armor?

every so often I'll catch someone doing that, easy to tell, spray with MG and it quickly turns yellow, then full focus attack on rear.

I guess most people do not set the armor correctly in smurfeys, I hardly do this too.I just throw the points in for knowing what weight it consumes.

#11 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:12 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...de881d73c42b560

I think i'm going to build something like that tonight : ER-PPC + JJ for sniping at the beginning of the match, 4xML + 2xMG for finishing wounded ennemies.

I hope 18 DHS is going to be enough.... After the nerf it's complicating to run more than 4 medium lasers! If it's enough maybe i will put 17 DHS + a Target Computer Mk. I, it's always nice to have a little crits bonus and a faster target info gathering on this mech.

The nerf is hard for that mittle guy, i have taking a lot of time to master the prime, and now i don't know how to use it with efficiency...

Any thoughs?

See you on battlefield, sad Nova's fans!! =)

#12 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:58 PM

I tried a similar build to that a while ago, but when the PPC nerf hit it wasn't very effective :( Just not worth the heat with the slow projectile speed. However if you swap out the ERPPC for a Large Pulse it might be a fun little beast for defending the bigger guys... hmm I might have to give it try :) (Also swapping to a ERLL with 2 additional DHS could be worth trying too).

#13 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:38 AM

NVA-PRIME

Still works fine for me.

#14 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

tl:dr. run the S variant on the Prime variant

Also, this is the more optimised build for it IMO

View PostCEOAnexor, on 06 September 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

#15 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

I was bored today and played a game with the trial Nova, you know the 12xcERML, and while I agree with the OP that the danger of heat suicide is omnipresent for Nova pilots the best Nova build was, is and will be the 12xcERML.
In mediums sustained damage means next to nothing, very rarely you stand out and fire, you look for a line of fire, fire quickly and hide and for that you want high alpha, or in the nova's case the ability to release 2 alphas very fast, hopefully not too fast but that's part of the key skills of MWO and specially Nova: Fire Discipline.

TLDR: The OP's build is easier to play but it's potential is lower than the 12xcERML Nova

#16 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:03 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 13 September 2014 - 08:49 AM, said:

tl:dr. run the S variant on the Prime variant

Also, this is the more optimised build for it IMO

why do you guys use Nova prime arms when you only use 3 E weapons per arm? all this causes is sticking with the worse quirks these arms come with.

#17 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:30 AM

Any updated builds to comply with the new heat management? I'm about to dump mine unless we can think of a good one.

#18 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

I run mine with a variety of energy weapons.
I like the mech overall. dual erlarge, dual erppc, dual large pulse, mix an arm full of mediums, smalls and MG's to suit.
Put a PPC and two small lasers in each arm, snipe around corners, works real well at that, lose an arm, you still got guns.
couple of erlarge in one arm, trip mediums in the other, same thing, snipe corners, stick with the fatties in the assault lance. its a very doable mech.

I'm KEEPING it. paid for camo and a color to give it a nam era jungle pattern, dropped a metric ton of cbills for weapons while experimenting. I have..8 open mechbays, I grinded it during that week of freemium I won, along with the cbills for the other two variants, in it sits some dashboard thing I won while driving it- overall I have a lot...too much time and effort invested in it just to toss it out..like...oh, all those trebuchets, firestarters, spiders, atlases...etc etc

heres the clincher.......I've now been around LONG enough to finally learn, to know that PGI in its infinite wisdom will at some point buff the hell out of it again......and nerf it shortly after, followed by another buff

I'd point out LRM's, PPC's, jumpjets, SRM's, gauss..etc etc...need I go on?

#19 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

make it 4 CERML in each arm, give it a tc 1 and rest for heatsinks, thats a rather heatsave build.
Give it 5 in eahc arm if mastered if you like.

I still run mine wiht 12 CERML, tc1 and rest is heatsinks.

#20 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:54 PM

IMO the best post-nerf nova build is probably a UAC/5 in the right arm, 4 er meds in the left arm, and 4 clan MGs in 5he torsos. I think maybe you could do 5 er meds but its too hot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users