Challenges Bring Out The Worst In Players...

Achievements Balance

63 replies to this topic

#1 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:26 PM

Interesting social experiment these challenges are... Nothing like a few free buables to be handed out by PGI to magnify our human nature to be selfish douches. :rolleyes:

What makes it truly interesting is the fact that these challenges are a glancing look into gaping maw of an abyss called "community warefare".

I dunno... maybe I've been rendered hypersensitive by this challenge but if this is a microcosm of CW, I'm of the mind to tell PGI they are welcome to keep it.

At least in casual PUG games and friendly team play, there is a sense of decorum and rudimentary application of basic battlefield tactics... All I saw tonight was blob bum-rush thuggary and Narc-LRM spam of the likes I've never seen...

Not even going to mention the absolute rude / ruthless commentary shared within the match.

wow... :blink:

Edited by DaZur, 07 September 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:34 PM

While challenges tend to cause bad behavior, based on the challenge itself... being NARCed and then Lurmed to death is normal.

It's probably the most low level teamwork you've ever seen, but it's hardly seen in the solo queue.

#3 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:43 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 07 September 2014 - 10:34 PM, said:

While challenges tend to cause bad behavior, based on the challenge itself... being NARCed and then Lurmed to death is normal.

It's probably the most low level teamwork you've ever seen, but it's hardly seen in the solo queue.

Oh believe you-me... I've been Narc and LRM'd a plenty and I fully realize it's part of baseline tactics...

But when 4 lights crest a hill like mechanized prairie dogs and they fire nothing but Narcs are you before disappearing... It's play mechanics fostered by the divisive nature of the challenge.

#4 Cavendish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:44 PM

Intresting, for me the experience has been a polar opposite of yours.

Teamwork instead of lone long-range snipers. The forced 4 man team has improved coordination between lances and within them. Lots of NARC and LRMs, this is true, but since you can plan ahead for it with plenty of AMS, AMS ammo, at least one ECM mech and so on, it has been more of a "thinking mans FPS" then I have seen in the game for the last 2 years. No desperate rushes to "steal" kills for cheap points, instead people playing more tactical since assist are more valuable.... list goes on.

Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy it :(

(PS. I think PGI should have offered a solo version of this challange. In the future all challanges should have both a team version and a solo version to cater to all their players in my view.)

#5 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:48 PM

Welcome to the toilet bowl of the community known as the "Win at any cost" crowd, aka the "Tryhards" They make the "Underhive" look like saints with their L2P attitudes and ruthless tactics with nary a care for whom's toes they step on from the community. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than the group queue. Pugging despite its flaws is still the best because it retains an aspect of civility and innocence.

Edited by lockwoodx, 07 September 2014 - 10:51 PM.

#6 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:49 PM

View PostCavendish, on 07 September 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

Interesting, for me the experience has been a polar opposite of yours.

Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy it :(

Actually I had fun despite the experience... and I'll agree the teamwork aspect was refreshing... Initially. ;)

My night started out well enough but as the night rolled on... It progressively got less and less "civilized" if one can expect that sentiment from a competitive game...

#7 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:54 PM

View PostDaZur, on 07 September 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

Oh believe you-me... I've been Narc and LRM'd a plenty and I fully realize it's part of baseline tactics...

But when 4 lights crest a hill like mechanized prairie dogs and they fire nothing but Narcs are you before disappearing... It's play mechanics fostered by the divisive nature of the challenge.

Considering that this isn't the norm in the first place... I'm not bothered by it.

It's atypical of the gameplay... not that it doesn't happen. It's a change of pace at best.

Once the challenge is over, it's only going to be back to... "same poop, different day".

#8 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:56 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 07 September 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:

Once the challenge is over, it's only going to be back to... "same poop, different day".

Aka clan brawler leg rush vs IS PPFLD Peekaboo. I'm sure everyone can agree they will be glad to see the lrm spam go back to the solo queue where it belongs.

Edited by lockwoodx, 07 September 2014 - 10:57 PM.

#9 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:17 PM

View Postsneeking, on 07 September 2014 - 11:15 PM, said:

I had the best weekend for a change, with them all spamming the hell out of group que.

glad you all got a taste because its all the likes of group que people who like to say how they don't have problems with lrm and tell people like myself learn to play when we try to point out how game wrecking it is.

Indeed I had a great weekend too. Ignored the challenge and got a chance to xp grind some horrible mechs without tryhards screaming about dead weight or how they had to carry in their clan mechs. lol

#10 Cavendish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:25 PM

View Postsneeking, on 07 September 2014 - 11:15 PM, said:

I had the best weekend for a change, with them all spamming the hell out of group que.

glad you all got a taste because its all the likes of group que people who like to say how they don't have problems with lrm and tell people like myself learn to play when we try to point out how game wrecking it is.

Totaly my own opinion based on my experience of playing in a group for a long time:

I think that this comes from that most people playing in groups simply do not use LRMs. They are normaly easy to counter for a coordinated team by ECM/AMS umbrellas. While AMS is a bit rare in group play, the ECM is a fundamental element and as we have seen this weekend it is an effective counter to the LRMs.

This weekend on the other hand has made most people put on the LRM/NARC boots due to how points are calculated, and that is why you see a huge frigging mass of missiles fly overhead blotting out the sun. Even with 3-4 ECM per team, there has (for once) been an abundant use of NARC to knock out the enemy ECM mechs which has been intresting (you do not regularly see NARC in group play either).

All in all, no LRMs are usualy not a problem in group queue, this challange sorta forced a change to this and things will be back to normal when its over.

As a side note, the few times I played my regular Kit Fox this weekend I was suprised that not even 6-8.000 AMS ammo was enough to last in some of the matches, and I think the 3 AMS systems on my mech need to be replaced due to wear and tear lol.

#11 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:28 PM

View PostDaZur, on 07 September 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

Interesting social experiment these challenges are... Nothing like a few free buables to be handed out by PGI to magnify our human nature to be selfish douches. :rolleyes:

What makes it truly interesting is the fact that these challenges are a glancing look into gaping maw of an abyss called "community warefare".

I dunno... maybe I've been rendered hypersensitive by this challenge but if this is a microcosm of CW, I'm of the mind to tell PGI they are welcome to keep it.

At least in casual PUG games and friendly team play, there is a sense of decorum and rudimentary application of basic battlefield tactics... All I saw tonight was blob bum-rush thuggary and Narc-LRM spam of the likes I've never seen...

Not even going to mention the absolute rude / ruthless commentary shared within the match.

Hi DaZur!
Well, I dunno if the CW will be so, but I know for sure that narc/tag/lurm get a lot of points for the challange.
That's why, imo, this was the most boring challenge e-v-e-r.

2 point for narc? 2 point for tag? is this what PGI really believe what teamwork is?
O-M-G....

#12 SgtKinCaiD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:33 PM

This challenge is really better than the last one, trust me !

#13 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:12 AM

I'm fed up with these so called challenges.It brings the worst out in people.
So I didn't bother with this one.Lurmageddon does not appeal to me.No fun fighting the press r and click a button crowd.

#14 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:15 AM

At least in casual PUG games and friendly team play, there is a sense of decorum and rudimentary application of basic battlefield tactics...

Please...don't make me laugh.

You wanted to leave the solo queue in order to do the challenge. You got bum rushed by coordinated teams and/or large premades that coordinated Narc, LRM, and ECM usage. You know...actual teamwork.

Don't jump in the deep end if you don't know how to swim.

And yes, considering CW is geared to be around actual teams and factions fighting it out in coordinated gameplay, this challenge is but a small taste of the competitiveness that will surround CW.

#15 Evil Ed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 527 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:19 AM

I liked this one! The LRM-focus of the challange really gave it an interesting flavour with a lot of dedicated scouts for me to pray on, LRM-boats to distract/harass and a lot of fat and slow mechs getting punished by LRMs while we in lights/meds can get around fairly easy. I did the whole challange with my JR7-F.

Edited by Evil Ed, 08 September 2014 - 12:23 AM.

#16 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:38 AM

View PostAresye, on 08 September 2014 - 12:15 AM, said:

Please...don't make me laugh.

You wanted to leave the solo queue in order to do the challenge. You got bum rushed by coordinated teams and/or large premades that coordinated Narc, LRM, and ECM usage. You know...actual teamwork.

Don't jump in the deep end if you don't know how to swim.

And yes, considering CW is geared to be around actual teams and factions fighting it out in coordinated gameplay, this challenge is but a small taste of the competitiveness that will surround CW.

Are you seriously saying that cw will be fun with THIS (no more than tag/narc/lurm) teamwork?

Edit: if you really think so, please remove "LOREmaster" :)

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 08 September 2014 - 12:39 AM.

#17 Hagoromo Gitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconic Combine, outscirts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:55 AM

Like those light NARC-boats... find a biggest rock on a map, shine your muscled body of 90 tonns heavy assault, catch all NARCs and when they aim and launch their LURMS hide behind that rock... till LURMboats run dry. If you can manage it like I do... than just after poring rain of bricks go and collect those LURM-Boats heads.

Some ruthless Highlander pilot.

#Yolo, #Swag B)

Edited by Hagoromo Gitsune, 08 September 2014 - 01:59 AM.

#18 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:06 AM

Though I agree with your sentiment DaZ, I only saw the bad behavior from players NOT on my Comms. Those I could hear were well behaved, fun players. And the folks I teamed up with on NG:NG Saturday and Steiner Hub Sunday were a great group of people I'd happily team up with again.

As to how we play when its a challenge. Assists are easier to get than Kills, and Missiles can keep you alive better than medium lasers. My Atlas-D-DC has changed to the linked so I can actually provide some support. And I have no problem with folks Using Missiles on me. Dying from rain or hail isn't any different to me. Either way I still die.

How people act after they die is a testament of character. When I die first and only say, "Ouch!" and the next player to die says something like, "Thanks You NOOBS. Why don't you know how to play?!"

Saturday I was being heckled (in PUG) cause I was:
1) In a Hellslinger
2) Named Joe Mallan
3) Died after 115 damage, after climbing a hill on Alpine only to find 4-6 Enemy there. :rolleyes:

Did I forget to mention that the Heckler was a TEAMMATE? :huh:

From the second we dropped a TEAMMATE was Heckling me! :D

I'm famous! B)

BTW John... Be sure to take good care of those Picts you took. You'll probably need them for a long, long time to come! :P

#19 Hagoromo Gitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconic Combine, outscirts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:14 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 September 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

How people act after they die is a testament of character.

GG... and going to kitchen commencing assault against a fridge or establishing another cup of coffee. :ph34r:

#20 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:15 AM

View PostHagoromo Gitsune, on 08 September 2014 - 02:14 AM, said:

GG... and going to kitchen commencing assault against a fridge or establishing another cup of coffee. :ph34r:

Your Character was ... Hungry! ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users