17 replies to this topic

#1 Jazzbandit1313

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts
  • Location--- Star's End ---- -- Novo Cressidas --

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:56 AM

So I don't know if anyone else noticed, but this weekend, there were an enormous amount of lrms, NARC's, and ECM. Why, you might ask, is this happening?

Simply put, the lance challenge gives players points for spotting assists.

I was so surprised the first round I played in my NARC raven to get 19 spotting assists and 5 kill assists wherein my NARC would get an enemy killed (more like disintegrated) within seconds. Rage filled the chat and all I could say was "I was just doing my job as a scout" What is a poor birdy to do?

My question to you players is, does this concentration of lrms this weekend amplify their balance problems with flight arc and speed? Or do you think that LRMS are perfectly balanced and the ridiculous amount of kills they netted players just goes to show how effective they are?

*Personally, I think that LRMS need different flight paths (Lower angles) so that there is at least SOME cover on the center of caustic.

#2 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:59 AM

I only played about 10-12 matches over the weekend in a lance, but it got pretty boring.

If I had to look at the bright side, it would be that Firestarters were almost non-existent due to their lack of ECM and NARC.

#3 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:02 AM

The problems are not the LRMs or NARCs, The problem is Map design.

The only reason you're seeing more is because the point system awards NARCs and TAGs with more bias, making it easier to get through games if you actually take LRMs to take advantage of your little favorite ECM bird's work.

This whole event has taught me LRMs ain't that bad, and that you should stay near your ECM. Don't have one? You're in a group of 4. Go get one.

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:09 AM

View PostJazzbandit1313, on 08 September 2014 - 06:56 AM, said:

So I don't know if anyone else noticed, but this weekend, there were an enormous amount of lrms, NARC's, and ECM. Why, you might ask, is this happening?

Simply put, the lance challenge gives players points for spotting assists.

I was so surprised the first round I played in my NARC raven to get 19 spotting assists and 5 kill assists wherein my NARC would get an enemy killed (more like disintegrated) within seconds. Rage filled the chat and all I could say was "I was just doing my job as a scout" What is a poor birdy to do?

My question to you players is, does this concentration of lrms this weekend amplify their balance problems with flight arc and speed? Or do you think that LRMS are perfectly balanced and the ridiculous amount of kills they netted players just goes to show how effective they are?

*Personally, I think that LRMS need different flight paths (Lower angles) so that there is at least SOME cover on the center of caustic.

First off, Thank you for your assistance. And I am happy to have helped you get good point for the Challenge (if we dropped in matches together).

As to your question about Concentrated Missile Fire. There is no problem with it. Massed fire hurts a lot. and there is nothing PGI can do to stop it without completely breaking the game. Whether its 4 LRM boats Raining on my NARCed butt or turning a corner and facing 2 Dire Wolves and 2 Timber Wolves. Massed fire will tear you apart.

#5 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:10 AM

This weekend was a case of teamwork being OP. We had many drops where *every* lance had a NARC/ECM light supported by three larger 'mechs with at least a few LRMs. Enemy lances without ECM cover just melted.

I think the #1 thing we need is BETTY tell TELL US WE ARE NARC'D.

#6 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:10 AM

Regardless of what anyone comes in here to say, or try to prove, LRMs are OP when boated. I would even say 1 LRM boat is not bad, but when there are 3-5 each side with 50+ tubes, it is a MASSIVE issue, this has been known for a while...

#7 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:13 AM

View PostGyrok, on 08 September 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

Regardless of what anyone comes in here to say, or try to prove, LRMs are OP when boated. I would even say 1 LRM boat is not bad, but when there are 3-5 each side with 50+ tubes, it is a MASSIVE issue, this has been known for a while...

Been saying this for a while, and I will say it again. To much of a good thing is bad.

However, To much firepower is never enough. Its a military axium.

1-2 Machine guns... :rolleyes:

12 Machine Guns:
Posted Image
Boating at its best!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 08 September 2014 - 07:30 AM.

#8 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:18 AM

View PostGyrok, on 08 September 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

There is nothing they can really do though, is there? LRMs are part of BT. We can't get away from that. However this weekend has NOT been a good example of unbiased data. Because every Lance wanting to get through this has at least one NARC and one LRM boat. So you're seeing a disproportionate amount of LRMs, If they nerfed it, and then your team didn't have 4 LRM boats, you'd never do enough damage to make them viable.

As I have said, the problem is not the missiles, it's the maps providing a lack of cover to avoid them.

#9 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:20 AM

It's not a simple solution. It's a triumvirate of ECM, LRM and supporting tools (NARC, UAV & ect). The problem is the binary nature of these systems, making balance impossible.

The best games are when very few of either is present. That should be a sign that something is wrong.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 08 September 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#10 Octantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 129 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:24 AM

I played a narc Raven this weekend for the challenge. All the other guys on my team brought at least a few LRMs. I had a smattering of all types of matches.

Ones were the other team was decimated in under 2 minutes. Ones were we were decimated (not in 2 minutes though). But as a whole I'd say that the majority of the fights typically hinged on one moment. One thing where the tide turned. Be it a timely UAV, providing ECM coverage, or trolling their lrm boats.

One thing that really surprised me was how quickly uavs were being shot out of the sky. You knew that if the rain started there was one somewhere. Lots of 12 man teamwork with respect to that.

I enjoyed the challenge very much. It didn't feel grindy and it got a lot of players back into the group drop bays on the company TS servers.

#11 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:29 AM

I used a highly optimised LRMing setup in order to maximize my points in the challenge.

Posted Image

But it got kind of boring.

#12 hercules1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:44 AM

Honestly the over use of lrms r not that big a deal. yes u get a narc on u then lrms come your way but being far from cover is a pilots mistake. lrms r the slowest weapon in the game have so many counters i dont feel like listing them all. If u ran a 4 man team and took ams on every mech those lrms woundnt even touch u. take a kit fox with the ecm and 3 ams, have your med. be the nova with 2 ams and put 1 on each of your bigs and u r good. Direct fire is still far more effective and a real team would laugh at an lrm team just cause all the counters that would totally be taken advatage of. Think what u want but i dont fear the LRM!

#13 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

View Posthercules1981, on 08 September 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

Direct fire is still far more effective and a real team would laugh at an lrm team just cause all the counters that would totally be taken advatage of. Think what u want but i dont fear the LRM!

QFT

#14 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

It was definitely LRM weekend (because packing LRMs gave other people points), but LRMs didn't equal instant wins because everyone was actually packing AMS and ECM and all that. And fighting in places where they'd have cover. Like, I saw two whole-team pushes through the tunnel in forest colony (one worked, one didn't).

There were a couple games where we got pinned down, surrounded, and picked apart, but it felt like we lost because we got pinned down and surrounded. That's never a good thing.

#15 Zebbi

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:47 AM

Did the challenges this wreak, many lrms , many ecm, many ams, seemed balanced to me , apart from the silly lock on times/cones ruining atms streaks for me .

#16 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:00 AM

bro.... a 4 year old necro? that's a new record.

#17 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:24 AM

Four year necro? Poor form sir, poor form.

#18 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:44 PM

[mod]As this past topic does not relate strongly to the current game,
this thread has been closed.

Please move constructive discussion to relevant threads.[/mod]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users