24 replies to this topic

#1 Eboli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:56 PM

No doubt on behalf of a lot of players I think it is very fair to say that we appreciate the 3+ hours time that Russ spent of NGNG Twitch to answer a number of questions related to a variety of topics.

Russ gave us lots of info concerning what has happened and what the future plans are for MWO. Some of these are long term and some of them are coming up very soon.

A regular showing like this would be greatly appreciated by the players and I can only hope that such communications can help neutralise certain attitudes that we see here on the forums.

NGNG will be posting up links to the questions and answers as well as a podcast of the broadcast so head over there to listen as it is well worth it in my opinion.

Podcast is now available at: http://www.nogutsnog...hp?topic=2338.0

Cheers!
Eboli

Edited by Eboli, 08 September 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#2 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:59 PM

I'll have to catch up on the first hour or two but what I did catch was gold.

Thank you, Russ.

And maybe I'll find out what Sandpit's question and the answer were. :D (Twitch got all twitchy there ;) )

#3 A DRUNK GUY

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 83 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:00 PM

What happened?

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:01 PM

View PostMIKE25S, on 08 September 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

What happened?

Seconding this, as twitch does not like my internet.

#5 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:03 PM

One step closer in regaining my trust. Time will tell with cutting off the publisher before i open up my wallet.

PGI have alot of things to catch up the last couple of years. I'm certainly hoping a vast improvent.

#6 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

Very interesting to listen too. Very different than when they were under the thumb of IGP.

Day 1 after the IGP/PGI split announcement and things have already improved.

My favorite part was when he described a plausible weekend event: Historical Weekend battle - Anyone else think of the Battle of Tukayyid when this was mentioned?

#7 headclot

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:14 PM

Thank you Russ :)

#8 Illegal Username

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:17 PM

• Publisher died
  • It's all IGP's fault
  • We're going to change
  • But we're not going to change (No community input)
  • Making a new game right now is a great idea!
  • "Why put in VOIP? You guys would use your own Teamspeak anyway.."
  • We're selling a new $120 mech pack.
  • Community warfare ONCE AGAIN in 90 days! [Repeat pitch from launch party]

Edited by Illegal Username, 08 September 2014 - 09:17 PM.

#9 headclot

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

View PostIllegal Username, on 08 September 2014 - 09:17 PM, said:

• Publisher died
  • It's all IGP's fault
  • We're going to change

If you feel so strongly about the "Clan Pack" - Please provide feedback here

http://mwomercs.com/...ould-it-happen/

#10 Murcheson

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:34 PM

Thanks to Russ as well - it was informative, and it was frank, and it was very much appreciative.

As a relative noob, there is much that I have picked up from the forums, and much that I have not - so this was all good.

I found Russ' comments about the business model and the challenges of providing a "free to play" game very enlightening - and a reminder that nothing is ever "free".

I had had some misgivings about spending some $$$ on the clans packs, but after the meeting - I no longer feel that way. It is free to play - but someone still has to pay for the infrastructure and the talent, and I am glad that I can help in some way.

Thanks again Russ

#11 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

I appreciate the time and effort.

I'm skeptical that what he suggested will pan out, but we'll wait and see.

I will not be purchasing the new mech pack though, until core features which are supposed to be "coming soon" are actually in the game though. I just can't keep supporting that practice... I've done it every time so far, but I gotta draw the line here.

#12 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:45 PM

• Publisher died
  • It's all IGP's fault
  • We're going to change

your post is about as disingenuous as it gets

#13 CorranHorn

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:52 PM

Indeed thank you Russ.

I really hope what you said will come to fruition, sooner rather than later.....well as long as it is a "finished" product in that it is playable and works for the most part, there will be bugs, and issues we all know this, and there will be needed improvements that will be found after it is launched as well. But I really appreciate what you said, some of the ideas you proposed, have been very similar to ideas that my friends and I have tossed around before, usually over sushi. Glad that you are trying to make as many people happy as possible, but also trying to do realistic things.

This went a long ways in helping growing fears that the game I helped fund in the beginning, and with the other releases, is starting to shape up into what it was that you wanted, and what we wanted/want still.

On side note about the founders getting a loyalty gift with the purchase of the new pack, maybe no a mech, but some other things, a few free modules like the LTD ones for the clan pack wave one? Or maybe, give people who have helped fund the game with the purchase of the packs, parts or wholes from the various ones, the ability to give one or a few of their favorite, non-hero mechs, the cbill bonus? Something like that to show continued appreciation, without giving new mechs, inner sphere or clan. Just an idea.....not that I am biased towards giving the founders continued love....being a legendary founder and all......

#14 Duke Hector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 299 posts
  • LocationNistus

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:56 PM

yes i agree it was quite refreshing for him at least being honest about what was going on and its also a step for regaining my trust with them as well.

my favorite part was when he threw the publisher under the bus however and it also makes alot of sense since i played a older game with the same type of situation.

long story short hands were tied....

Edited by Dan the Ice Man, 08 September 2014 - 09:56 PM.

#15 Garandos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 196 posts
  • Locationgermany

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:14 PM

this is a simple, proven times and times again, fact for PC gaming,
a lot of companies spend development time and ressources on integrated VoiP
and it never got used.

simpe thing:

if someone is NOT using VoiP right now, he will not be using it, if it comes integrated.

Teamspeak is a simple, ultra easy to use software, its even FREE of charge for the end user,
plus it has the added benefit of having its own moderation.

If someone cba to use that one (and there is no difference of hopping on one of the community TS servers and talk to strangers, then there is, with using integrated VoiP to talk to strangers during a match)
he wont use a integrated version either.

The only people really using it, would be those, who want to abuse others mostly, and that would mean, you would have to moderate the integrated solution somehow, a written chatt can be saved without much problem, and checked by the support team later, you can do Screenshots and send them to the support and what not.

I really doubt the sincerety of people, which want this "integrated anonymous solution" for "mutual benefit"
because peope who do not use VoiP have reasons for that, and they wont use an integrated version over TS just "because its there"

#16 Nyden

• PipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

I haven't heard the last hour yet, so I'm disappointed if it is true they aren't gong to work on VOIP. I think integrating VOIP would, both, improve new player experience and remove the need for separate group and solo cues. A single cue means better server populations, etc.

Anyway, I found what I did hear very enlightening. Over the last year I've been a hard critic of PGI when I've chosen to speak and, while I wouldn't say they're forgiven, I think Russ has earned a little more rope with this one.

Thanks, Russ, for doing this. Perhaps a lot of angst could have been avoided if only this town hall were more possible sooner. You've regained some of my trust; keep up the pace and continue the communication and we might just be friends again.

Also, on the issue of regional servers, I wonder if it's possible to have them networked together rather than separate. What I mean is could it be set up so that a server in AU would simply create matches and preferentially populate them with AU players as slots are available but would be drawing players from the same over all pool as the main NA servers. A North American player would have a small chance of being dropped onto an AU server and suffering a 500 ping but, in theory, there'd be enough AU players to keep that from happening often. That way you wouldn't need separate accounts or need to worry about diluting the player population for CW. Maybe it's not technically feasible though, I have no idea.

#17 Rick Rawlings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:26 PM

Wait, they are still not adding VOIP?!? Are you ever going to get serious about your "team" game, PGI?!?

#18 headclot

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:33 PM

View PostRick Rawlings, on 08 September 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

Wait, they are still not adding VOIP?!? Are you ever going to get serious about your "team" game, PGI?!?

The Voip system they they found integrated into cryengine was old and they do not know if it works from what I remember from the townhall meeting.

#19 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:39 PM

Isn't there an official feedback thread?

#20 HavoK 99

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:42 PM

Have to agree on the VOIP thing I have played alot of games with it in them namely EA games like the BF series and hardly anyone used them. The only time I did see it used a lot was in a mod called project reality but in the average game over the years it has been a built in part of the games its hardly ever used by the majority or players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users