Time To Fix Things Up

14 replies to this topic

#1 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:16 AM

So, with PGI having the power to do what they want (that's assuming they didn't before), it's time that we fix MWO once and for all.

There are several key elements that need to be looked at simply from a gameplay POV, and I'm talking about these specific things (things like EU servers, tournaments, etc aren't the subject here. I'm talking about core gameplay elements) :

- Ghost Heat needs to be removed

- Rework the heat system so massive alphas aren't possible anymore

- Ideally, although probably not possible, make it so all shots don't always converge at the same spot (use a range convergence system?)

- Remove Gauss charge, all it does is promote dual gauss builds. Just give Gauss Rifles an 8 seconds cooldown.

- Rework ECM so it doesn't hard counter LRMs

- Rework LRM lock mechanic, it's too easy to get spammed when someone spots you. TAG and NARC and possibly BAP should be one of the only tools capable of permitting indirect fire

With these, I'm not sure we would need to entirely rework the mechlab (which is easily abused), but it's still on my watchlist. Introducing stock mech mode would greatly help bring some of the nostalgic people back.

Sorry I don't explain my thoughts further, I'm at work and had to post this as fast as possible.

#2 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:39 AM

View PostSybreed, on 09 September 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

So, with PGI having the power to do what they want (that's assuming they didn't before), it's time that we fix MWO once and for all.

There are several key elements that need to be looked at simply from a gameplay POV, and I'm talking about these specific things (things like EU servers, tournaments, etc aren't the subject here. I'm talking about core gameplay elements) :

- Ghost Heat needs to be removed

- Rework the heat system so massive alphas aren't possible anymore

- Ideally, although probably not possible, make it so all shots don't always converge at the same spot (use a range convergence system?)

- Remove Gauss charge, all it does is promote dual gauss builds. Just give Gauss Rifles an 8 seconds cooldown.

- Rework ECM so it doesn't hard counter LRMs

- Rework LRM lock mechanic, it's too easy to get spammed when someone spots you. TAG and NARC and possibly BAP should be one of the only tools capable of permitting indirect fire

With these, I'm not sure we would need to entirely rework the mechlab (which is easily abused), but it's still on my watchlist. Introducing stock mech mode would greatly help bring some of the nostalgic people back.

Sorry I don't explain my thoughts further, I'm at work and had to post this as fast as possible.

Would you rather have these changes or CW in the next 6 months?

#3 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

None of those things were IGP's doing. That's all PGI, and on at least a few of them (I heard Ghost heat/heat scale, RNG/convergence hits specifically) Russ mentioned directly in the Twitch event last night they are not going to be re/undone.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 09 September 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#4 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

View PostLauLiao, on 09 September 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

These changes. CW won't change a thing if the game is still not fun in several aspects.

#5 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:08 AM

At the Town Hall RB basically said that they were happy with all the weapon changes that had been implemented (in other words IGP didn't make them do it) and other than the usual tweaking they weren't planning on any major changes so don't get your hopes up.

Somethings we just have to let go. They are NEVER, at least not for a very long time going to change Ghost Heat. It's that simple. God, I was one of the people supporting something like it, and once it showed up I had to wonder why I wanted it. HOWEVER, I've learned to live with it. Why? Because if you boil it down to it's essence, it is HEAT MANAGEMENT. Harder to understand if you are a noob, but that's it. Since most of us reading this aren't inexperienced, you too can adjust to it, and have. It is the system that they've chosen to try to minimize huge alphas (or at least make it too heat costly to do too often....I know...it doesn't work that great).

Most of the other things in the OP are going to stay for awhile, but might get looked at some day, but I wouldn't get my hopes up

#6 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:13 AM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 09 September 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

None of those things were IGP's doing. That's all PGI, and on at least a few of them (I heard Ghost heat/heat scale, RNG/convergence hits specifically) Russ mentioned directly in the Twitch event last night they are not going to be re/undone.

A lot of these things are debated and preference within the forums, so I can understand them not wanting to change that...at least for a while.

I am curious to see where the game goes from here (I'm even enthusiastic). It is definently make or break time for them. I wish them luck. Hopefully we see some noticable changes or growth within the next few months.

#7 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:16 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 09 September 2014 - 08:08 AM, said:

At the Town Hall RB basically said that they were happy with all the weapon changes that had been implemented (in other words IGP didn't make them do it) and other than the usual tweaking they weren't planning on any major changes so don't get your hopes up.

Somethings we just have to let go. They are NEVER, at least not for a very long time going to change Ghost Heat. It's that simple. God, I was one of the people supporting something like it, and once it showed up I had to wonder why I wanted it. HOWEVER, I've learned to live with it. Why? Because if you boil it down to it's essence, it is HEAT MANAGEMENT. Harder to understand if you are a noob, but that's it. Since most of us reading this aren't inexperienced, you too can adjust to it, and have. It is the system that they've chosen to try to minimize huge alphas (or at least make it too heat costly to do too often....I know...it doesn't work that great).

Most of the other things in the OP are going to stay for awhile, but might get looked at some day, but I wouldn't get my hopes up

I don't want to turn this into a Posted Image heat thread too much, but you should know by now that the way most players "manage" their Posted Image heat is to simply construct a loadout which can alpha strike without receiving such penalties (i.e. combining PPCs with ACs or Gauss).

#8 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

I don't even agree with most of what you posted, aside from Ghost heat because its convoluted and obscure as a mechanic (for new players) - Ghost Heat is likely here for good.

LRMs as a system would require a full overhaul. You can't nerf the IDF of LRMs without improving their DF capacity.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 09 September 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#9 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:51 AM

The way I see it is , these changes or more clan/hero mechs :)

#10 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:52 AM

I'd actually be willing to wait a little extra to have stupid removed from the game.

#11 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

Honestly don't want to play an MWO without Ghost Heat. Reworking the heat system would be nice, but probably take more work and time than is practical.

Charge on Gauss is working as intended.

They actually had a convergence system in closed beta. But it caused problems. I personally think they should give it another shot. But clearly they've decided against it.

The thing about ECM and LRMs. That I agree with. But I would like to see a buff to individual LRM launchers and a nerf to boating them.

#12 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:58 AM

If "everything was IGP's fault", I'd like for us to return to this:

Dev Blog 1: Community Warfare
Dev Blog 2: Information Warfare
Dev Blog 3: Role Warfare
Dev Blog 4: Role Warfare (cont)
Dev Blog 5: Mech Warfare

After all, that was what they said MWO would be.

#13 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 09 September 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

I'd actually be willing to wait a little extra to have stupid removed from the game.

that's almost the title I used for the thread

#14 Viges

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

New clan pack will fix everything!

(yet another promise not to release new clan pack soon)

#15 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 09 September 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

Sadly that's not going to happen until....hmm...how can i put this in play nice terms...

Until there's some "restructuring" in the game balance department.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users