Let's Just Take A Step Back

3 replies to this topic

#1 Elahen

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:07 PM

Let's just take a moment and ask if anyone if really fooled by this. Every few months PGI has to have some kind of "quell the raging masses" meeting; be it last night's video AMA, Niko going around to the house TS servers and having a Q&A, or Russ doing his original AMA on Reddit. They do these not as a quarterly update where the devs descend to talk to the community; but only after tempers have reached such a fevered pitch that they feel they need to do something.

In these meetings we are always told that great things are just over the horizon and to "just stick with us" and buy this new mech pack and everything will be wonderful....rainbows will descend from the heavens and our cannons will shoot happy unicorns that shower us with presents. Fool us once, shame on you.......fool us 37 times...shame on us.

I'm not sure when this gaming community will realize that PGI does not have it's heart in BattleTech (Russ didn't even know what the FWLM was during his Q&A last night.) If you look at the history of PGI...formally Jarhead Games....you will see that they have a long history of making minimally viable products that they make a quick buck on and run to the next project......it's like deja vu with the new Transverse game right?

In stating all this, I want people to know that I want this game to succeed....I have personally invested over $1200 so far ( no Gold Mechs) but I'm seriously worried about the future of this franchise based on PGI's track record (no matter how much they try to pin their problems on IGP). I would also ask the moderators to not delete this post....looking at you Niko....and actually allow open and frank discussion about this game, your company, and our money.

Edited by Elahen, 09 September 2014 - 02:57 PM.

#2 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

I hate to say it man, but "Frank" discussion is something 90% of the Battletech community has forgotten how to do. This is not endemic to these forums. It's not the fault of PGI that a lot of the the player base are also people I wouldn't associate with in most other ways. In fact the only decent part of the Battletech community I can think of play MegaMek . Yet MOST of the people I've spoken to on there won't come near this forum because of, and I quote "The horrible Battletech community". Ironic, eh?

Make no mistake I am not saying there ain't good people in the community, nor am I saying that it's not an issue with all games. But the gamer culture and mindset combined with the sense of entitlement that the entire BT fan base has developed (Not just the founders Clan players, or even MWO players) makes any chance of "Frank" discussion impossible. Everyone seems to want their pound of flesh.

Just wait. Let's watch how long it takes for someone to tell me I'm not "Really" into Battletech. Or how I'm a White Knight or something other to create ANOTHER "Us vs them" division.

You may have a valid point and a genuine beef with PGI. But PGI's own forums are not the place to air it because they can (And should) moderate it. It's bad for public image. You also can't have it with the BT community because they'll demand blood for making the Timber Wolf's cockpit a little smaller or something.

Edited by Pika, 09 September 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#3 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

When you spend your money, you buy a product. You then use that product.

That's where your money goes, that's your investment. Unless you are somehow an actual part-owner of PGI these sorts of discussions are just people fapping in a circle.

Don't like something? Don't buy it. Do like it? Do buy it.

You don't get to tell PGI what to do with their money. And it is their money as soon as you give it to them. You can share your opinion, same as people drone on facebook about their favorite sweater patterns. that doesn't make it relevant.

PGI bought themselves out from under their publisher. Humanity is better for it. Publishers are to game design what heroin is to medically helpful pain management.

It's all good news. Like or don't like it. Have an opinion. Don't pretend that your opinion is relevant to PGI or, well, anyone but yourself. Mine isn't.

#4 Elahen

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:04 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 09 September 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

When you spend your money, you buy a product. You then use that product.

That's where your money goes, that's your investment. Unless you are somehow an actual part-owner of PGI these sorts of discussions are just people fapping in a circle.

Don't like something? Don't buy it. Do like it? Do buy it.

You don't get to tell PGI what to do with their money. And it is their money as soon as you give it to them. You can share your opinion, same as people drone on facebook about their favorite sweater patterns. that doesn't make it relevant.

PGI bought themselves out from under their publisher. Humanity is better for it. Publishers are to game design what heroin is to medically helpful pain management.

It's all good news. Like or don't like it. Have an opinion. Don't pretend that your opinion is relevant to PGI or, well, anyone but yourself. Mine isn't.

While I can agree with your point, it can also be said that a discussion should be had when they come back and ask for more money. A main point of this thread was to get people (particularly newcomers) to see someone's view who has been here from the beginning; to maybe open their eyes to what has been going on for 2 years now and help them make an informed decision. If someone fairly new to the game saw the video last night, they may think that everything great is just around the corner and that just isn't the case. Surely you can agree that informed consent is a good thing right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users