Psa: Don't Chainfire Lasers

104 replies to this topic

#101 Kyzar Kon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:05 PM

Ironic that ML chain fire in MWO has the same effect of damage in TT. EVERY WHERE!

#102 The Shredder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 178 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:24 AM

Nevermind the Medium lasers for a moment, the PSA was for all lasers. And chain-firing Large Lasers is very effective. With four of them, you can keep a constant stream of damage hitting an enemy for a good period of time before having to back off. Try firing all at once, well... Even before the recent Ghost Heat changes, you shutdown a lot. And let me ask you: How much damage are you doing when you are shutdown?
This is a team game. All to often I see friendly forces alpha strike to finish off a mech I've been nipping away at, only to shut down and subsequently get seriously mangled by return fire. This then can turn ugly as having one less mech on the line means the position is now weaker, and then you get over-run...
No, OP. Chain-firing lasers is a good idea if you are using a lot of them. Ever play Mechwarrior 2? Back in the days when if you released your finger, it automatically changed to the next weapon. The Black Hawk was quite deadly, you didn't have as many wasted shots, and heat was easier to manage. I've played matches where I've put all weapons in one group and put it on chainfire, just because I feel some nostalgia. Now if only they would add in a wire-frame mode...

#103 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:37 AM

Sometimes I like to chainfire my 6 spl's and pretend I have an energy machinegun.

Usually I do that when fighting other lights, because I can entirely miss with a .5 second beam due to several factors, such as personal reaction time, small changes in altitude, sudden shift in enemy position or speed, being just a few pixels off, or slamming into a wall / mech that decides it doesn't want me moving any more.

Sometimes I do it for the fun of having an energy machinegun.

#104 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:38 AM

Entirely depends how close you're running to 100% heat and how close to death the other mech is.

#105 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:12 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 13 September 2014 - 09:11 PM, said:

You have misread the statement you quoted, I'll highlight the important part.

Pay close attention to the bold, especially underlined, portions.

Go back and read my post. Wonder at the part where I discuss Lucy's amazing precognition that allows Lucy to know the exact circumstances of the person's situation, how much heat they have built up. Now you want me to believe that Lucy also knows their exact loadout? One single group on chainfire huh. Yeah I witness that... um... I don't believe I have yet. Maybe Lucy is making an assumption... like I stated.

View PostTzukasa, on 13 September 2014 - 07:23 PM, said:

All I have to say is that the top end competitive players I've seen do 1k+ dmg in a laser boat, None of them used chainfire.

I swear I just said something about how idiotic blanket statements are...

I'll bite. You have never... ever... ever... ever... ever... seen someone doing 1k+ damge in a laser boat chain fire lasers at any point in a match? I call BS.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users