• LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:19 AM

View PostArctcwolf, on 20 September 2014 - 09:41 PM, said:

theres no reason to run max small lasers on a nova...ever...not anymore

er sml...4 damage, 3 heat, 200 range, .5 tons

er med...7 damage, 6 heat, 400 range, 1 ton
2x er sml...8 damage, 6 heat+ modifier, 200 range, 1 ton

ur always better off running 6x med lasers than 12x sml

run less heat sinks, throw on 2x ams, maybe an ac or 4x mg. dont get psycho with the smalls

but running psycho is the whole point, otherwise why should yu run a 12 E hardpoint mech? :P

View PostKain Thul, on 21 September 2014 - 01:03 AM, said:

I just mastered my Stormcrow this weekend due to the 2xXP and yes, good god this thing is fast and agile for 55 tons.

I still prefer the Nova though and wish I had mastered it first. It just feels like it packs so much more of a punch even with the damn heat nerfs that make us have to watch it with the stock Prime 'mech. I love the 42pt "arm" alpha....if you get behind someone its over.

View PostAgelmar, on 18 September 2014 - 07:18 AM, said:

It doesn't require the Nova. It just happens to be a fun way to play the Nova which was what the thread is about....

So yeah.

run that SC absolutely amazing feeling. Its like you really just have upgraded anything on the Nova. The speed even unskilled and agility makes you popout and hide back in a fraction fo what a Nova needs. It makes me really sad to use that SC because in only a few macthes, it exceeded the possibilities of the Nova so far, that those 5 tonnage difference feels like 15. It's more like you would drive a small version of a Laser vomit Timbewolf. And results are similary amazing with this SC.

That will give you 3x the Fun compared to using a Nova.

#22 Sethliopod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationInside the smoking wreck.

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:40 PM

View PostArctcwolf, on 20 September 2014 - 09:41 PM, said:

theres no reason to run max small lasers on a nova...ever...not anymore

.<snip>

Do you think over a match the shorter cool-down plus shorter burn duration of the ERsmall, plus also slightly greater damage might add up to a significant amount? Perhaps the greater distance trumps all that, but I found heat too much with mediums.

But, is it as you imply, that buffed the Med Las or nerfed the Sml Las?

#23 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:46 AM

View PostSethliopod, on 23 September 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

Do you think over a match the shorter cool-down plus shorter burn duration of the ERsmall, plus also slightly greater damage might add up to a significant amount? Perhaps the greater distance trumps all that, but I found heat too much with mediums.

But, is it as you imply, that buffed the Med Las or nerfed the Sml Las?

actually, NO
on maps like turmaline and alpine you will mostlikely idle around until you find a chance for a safe approach close enough to get in range. I palyed such a build for a while but its too situational in its niche. If we could choose a mech after knowing the map, on forest or the cities its great.

Edited by Lily from animove, 24 September 2014 - 06:47 AM.

#24 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:55 PM

Anyone using the prime but removing 4 CERML per arm and replacing with CERLL?

With that you actual have an alpha you can use (and a good one at that) and an option for range.

#25 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:13 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 28 September 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

Anyone using the prime but removing 4 CERML per arm and replacing with CERLL?

With that you actual have an alpha you can use (and a good one at that) and an option for range.

you use nova S for this, not a prime (negative prime arm quirks). Also you are left then with 2 CERLL and 4 CERML which you can do with a stomrcrow as well and it will do that job better.

Edited by Lily from animove, 29 September 2014 - 01:15 AM.

#26 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:54 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 29 September 2014 - 01:13 AM, said:

you use nova S for this, not a prime (negative prime arm quirks). Also you are left then with 2 CERLL and 4 CERML which you can do with a stomrcrow as well and it will do that job better.

Thanks for the reminder, I like the C-Bill bonus of my prime so I just put the -S arm pods on it. Now I have no negative quirks and plus 30% torso twist.

I'm still going to run this as my Stormcrow has 2 x CLPL 3 x CERML.

#27 Marcel Bekker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:48 AM

After a long time of running the Prime pretty much stock except for the armor distribution, I got a bit bored with it and since I needed the Alt. S anyway for the skills, I bought it.

Threw all the med pulses out, was sick of lasers at that point, and fitted 1 ER PPC in each arm, the 4 MGs were retained with half a ton of ammo, the AMS and its ammo were replaced by a Mk II TarComp. Armor is 2 points shy of maximum.

My Eleanor

I am having the most fun and success with this one out of all the various things I tried, its combat role is that of a ranged skirmisher, using the jumpjets at every opportunity to get in unexpected positions and let some charged particles fly, then jumping/running away behind the nearest cover and looking for another good approach (within 20 seconds) and repeat. Usually I am appearing and disappearing on one of the flanks of my team, thus also acting as a lookout for enemy flanking attempts, and trying to delay those by harassing them while my buddys get into a good ambush position. The MGs are mostly for self defence against fast light mechs, and taking out exposed sections/components in the late match or if forced into a close range fight.

#28 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:09 AM

Here's a build that's worked well for me. Note that I only have five ERMLs in the arm, not six; you can drop a heatsink and fit six, but I find five works well and allows me to fire a full blast when I'm at 65% heat or lower.

While the right arm has a machinegun in it, it's intended to be used as a shield - fire your ERMLs, turn your left arm away from the attacker while closing the distance, then when it's recycled turn back and unload with another blast of ERMLs then stay on with the MGs; if you were cold at the start and have double basics you should have a third ERML blast in you (which is why I fit five lasers instead of six).

#29 John Mechlane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 164 posts
  • LocationBehind you...in a locust

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:38 AM

View PostUnsafePilot, on 17 September 2014 - 04:37 AM, said:

I've had decent results with this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...54872dafc942cb9

Alpha's 53 points without exploding and run's 'cool enough' for my tastes when firing the CERMLs in groups of three.

I'm using almost the same build.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3f7f605a20f2610

It has 2 less DHS, and that PPC generates more heat - in short, it's HOT AS HELL, but I prefer the pinpoint damage of the PPC. I'm kinda screwed on hot maps though :)

Edited by JaniTheWeedman, 30 September 2014 - 06:41 AM.

#30 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:11 AM

So I bought the Nova Prime on a whim (despite having the C-Bills for the Stormcrow). I had fun with the trial version, so I thought I'd see how it works out when it's skilled. I've almost completed the basics, and I'm still overheating once or twice per match...

Currently I'm using NVA-PRIME - 4x ER ML in each arm, and all the heat sinks it can carry.

Has anyone tried a multiple ER LL build, though?

(something like NVA-PRIME )

Edited by eFTy, 06 October 2014 - 12:12 AM.

#31 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:27 AM

View PosteFTy, on 06 October 2014 - 12:11 AM, said:

So I bought the Nova Prime on a whim (despite having the C-Bills for the Stormcrow). I had fun with the trial version, so I thought I'd see how it works out when it's skilled. I've almost completed the basics, and I'm still overheating once or twice per match...

Currently I'm using NVA-PRIME - 4x ER ML in each arm, and all the heat sinks it can carry.

Has anyone tried a multiple ER LL build, though?

(something like NVA-PRIME )

this is not very good, because it is too much ehat for too less heatsinks. and it lacks Firepower as soon as it enters ML range. Epecially if you compare it with a Nova heaving 2 ERLL 4ML +4 DHS as alterattion of your build.

I think you would manage better resutls with only 2 CERLL and heatsinks

or try something like that: this givey you a good bunch of range if you compine it with LL cooldown and LL range modules. you get a nice critchance and you can lock on targets form a good amount of distance.

#32 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:18 AM

Oh, that sounds like a really fun build for alpine.

But yeah, it seems that any build that uses less than 4 lasers per arm is better of with the other Nova chassis... I'll stick with the 8x ERML for now, cheers!

#33 michaelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

Are there any good ideas for Nova-B which actually use that balistic slot arm ?

#34 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

If you want to use the ballistic arm, you can do 5x MG (including the 4 on the torso) and 6x ERML on the other arm.

Off-topic comment to OP Dale Grible: I saw Rusty Shackleford in a match the other day. You two should group up. :lol:

#35 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

View Postmichaelius, on 06 October 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

hardly, because the low podspace is not supporting some proper ac + enough ammo. you cna go any ac 5 + some ammo and osme lasers as backup, but it won't be that much fun or good.

#36 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:24 PM

I've been running my NOVA prime with 6x C-ERML (3 per arm) nearly maxed armour (dropped a few points on each leg) and then as many heat sinks as possible.

Less firepower but more DPS then the standard build. You gotta use it as a ranged skirmisher in the early game, keep at the edge of your range, don't try and out snipe anything just stay as fire support/light mech cover for your team and hope they dont get out sniped (you will have a bad day if this happens).

Then late game you have much more freedom and provided you keep moving you can be more aggressive.

I dont rate the nova as a great mech, it cant take any form on punishment and the shape of it is not ideal for early game, but if you keep moving, twisting and shooting you can lay a lot of damage down mid to late game. Its also good for taking out lights.

Its just a shame you cant put a slightly bigger engine in, this mech would excel if it were 15-20kph faster.

#37 Flywheels

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:38 AM

I had fun running 4 mgs and a lbx5 with 3 med lasers on the nova b using the ballistic arm. wasn't too bad on heat either

#38 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:36 PM

I bought the Nova-S today. Tried a 2x ERLL, 4x ERSL setup with moderate success.

Has anyone tried something like this? Probably won't do much damage, but the constant screen should annoy the heck out of enemies. I'm wary of buying those AC2s for a simpel troll build, though...

And is there -any- setup that's in any way worthwhile on the Nova-B? A single UAC5 or UAC10 just doesn't seem worth it compared to all the lasers and heat sinks that can be fit instead...

#39 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostBUDFORCE, on 06 October 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

I dont rate the nova as a great mech, it cant take any form on punishment and the shape of it is not ideal for early game, but if you keep moving, twisting and shooting you can lay a lot of damage down mid to late game. Its also good for taking out lights.

Its just a shame you cant put a slightly bigger engine in, this mech would excel if it were 15-20kph faster.

It's a shame, but that's pretty much the Nova's epitaph. It's bigger than the Stormcrow, easier to target a single spot, slower, turns slower, twists slower, and its one advantage, the sheer number of hardpoints, is ruined by ghost heat.

#40 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:41 PM

I've bought the Nova-B too, and so far I'm doing decently well (considering it's a Nova) by replacing the LPL with a LL, the SL with a ML, halving the MG ammo and adding two more tons of UAC5 ammo. You just have to stay lurk, pop & shoot and lurk even more than with the other two...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users