Are The Ghost Bears Getting Stiffed?

50 replies to this topic

#1 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:00 AM

Just looking at the existing clan mechs, as well as the ones coming out, and I noticed something.

The Smoke Jaguars, Falcons, and Wolves are getting plenty of love.

The Falcons are getting their Kitfox, Hellbringer, and Summoner, rounding out the Jade Falcon Trifecta...
The Wolves have the Nova, Timberwolf, and will get the Gargoyle and Ice Ferret
The Smoke Jaguars have or will get their trifecta of the Mist Linx, Storm Crow, and Dire Wolf, with the Warhawk and Adder included for good measure.

However, Even though I'm not a Ghost Bear player, I've noticed a glaring lack of bear 'mechs. Save for the inclusion of the Storm Crow C, the traditionally Ghost Bear designs are lacking:

Fire Moth/Dasher: Not here
Viper/Dragonfly: Not here either
Mad Dog/ Vulture: Only available by purchasing both of the highest-value clan packs
Executioner/Gladiator: Negatory.

While I understand that the Firemoth and Executioner might be a bit difficult due to MASC, I was surprised that the Dragonfly wouldn't have been included. With all the emphasis on the other clans, the Bears are looking like the red-headed step child, here.

Edited by ice trey, 18 September 2014 - 04:01 AM.

#2 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:13 AM

Ghost Bears are OP. They need nerfing.

#3 Murphy7

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:46 AM

Which mech is it that would cause all to be forgiven/forgotten? Is it a Kodiak? :D

#4 Verdic Mckenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 454 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEastern PA - USA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:50 AM

Aff, the Totem Mech would be an acceptable offering for this slight against the honor of Clan Ghost Bear. :P Not that I speak for them - but i'd pay down on a Kodiak as long as it looked like a giant bear. Can you picture an Atlas and a Kodiak hugging it out? :P

View PostMurphy7, on 18 September 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

Which mech is it that would cause all to be forgiven/forgotten? Is it a Kodiak? :D

#5 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts
  • LocationWarShip Sleipnir, Spinward-Coreward Quadrant

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:52 AM

View Postice trey, on 18 September 2014 - 04:00 AM, said:

Just looking at the existing clan mechs, as well as the ones coming out, and I noticed something.

The Smoke Jaguars, Falcons, and Wolves are getting plenty of love.

The Falcons are getting their Kitfox, Hellbringer, and Summoner, rounding out the Jade Falcon Trifecta...
The Wolves have the Nova, Timberwolf, and will get the Gargoyle and Ice Ferret
The Smoke Jaguars have or will get their trifecta of the Mist Linx, Storm Crow, and Dire Wolf, with the Warhawk and Adder included for good measure.

However, Even though I'm not a Ghost Bear player, I've noticed a glaring lack of bear 'mechs. Save for the inclusion of the Storm Crow C, the traditionally Ghost Bear designs are lacking:

Fire Moth/Dasher: Not here
Viper/Dragonfly: Not here either
Mad Dog/ Vulture: Only available by purchasing both of the highest-value clan packs
Executioner/Gladiator: Negatory.

While I understand that the Firemoth and Executioner might be a bit difficult due to MASC, I was surprised that the Dragonfly wouldn't have been included. With all the emphasis on the other clans, the Bears are looking like the red-headed step child, here.

The Nova, Stormcrow and Hellbringer are all Clan Hell's Horses designs.

#6 Ancient Demise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 189 posts
  • LocationMechWarrior: Living Legends

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:08 AM

MASC could be removable dead weight like the command console was in the D-DC until they figure it out. I want my executioner! A Kodiak would certainly make me plenty excited too.

Also all Ghost Bear mechs should come with a free Elemental riding it :)

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:15 AM

Mad Dog will be available for MC/C-bills, not ideal if you really really wanted an (Invasion) Mad Dog but every Ghost Bear pilot who wants one can get one.

#8 Verdic Mckenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:25 AM

My wife would hang me for the amount of money i'd throw at an Elemental compliment for a game like this. CryEngine shooters are already interesting this way. It was BUILT for a shooter. I'd love to see Elementals/Power Armor come into play. (A whole NEW set of things for people to yell about.) :P

View PostAncient Demise, on 18 September 2014 - 05:08 AM, said:

MASC could be removable dead weight like the command console was in the D-DC until they figure it out. I want my executioner! A Kodiak would certainly make me plenty excited too.

#9 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:28 AM

hoping for an elemental cockpit item huh ?

#10 Griggio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:33 AM

View PostVerdic Mckenna, on 18 September 2014 - 05:25 AM, said:

My wife would hang me for the amount of money i'd throw at an Elemental compliment for a game like this. CryEngine shooters are already interesting this way. It was BUILT for a shooter. I'd love to see Elementals/Power Armor come into play. (A whole NEW set of things for people to yell about.) :P

I remember a post awhile back on Clans eventually losing Arty, and the suggestion was made that in place of arty Clans could call in an elemental strike.

Watching an enemy freaking out to a swarm of midget powerhouses would be a sight to behold.

Edit: Reading up on Ghost Bears they did seem to favor the use of elementals in their tatics (trying not to derail the OP :P )

Edited by Griggio, 18 September 2014 - 05:35 AM.

#11 Ancient Demise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 189 posts
  • LocationMechWarrior: Living Legends

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:34 AM

View PostCathy, on 18 September 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:

hoping for an elemental cockpit item huh ?

Nah just one that hangs off your mech and headshots people with a small laser :)

MWLL has elementals but it is inherently a combined arms game. Unless they do a lot of AI coding or open up clan teams to 15 additional players in elementals I don't see it happening here.

#12 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:41 AM

Nah. A Kodiak is a second-line mech, not an Omnimech.

That would open up a whole other can of beans.

The Kingfisher would be fair game, though.

#13 Verdic Mckenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:43 AM

CryEngine lends itself to the idea. As you know well from MWLL. It's more a matter of what their network infrastructure will tolerate.

View PostAncient Demise, on 18 September 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

Nah just one that hangs off your mech and headshots people with a small laser :)

MWLL has elementals but it is inherently a combined arms game. Unless they do a lot of AI coding or open up clan teams to 15 additional players in elementals I don't see it happening here.

#14 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:43 AM

View Postice trey, on 18 September 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:

Nah. A Kodiak is a second-line mech, not an Omnimech.

That would open up a whole other can of beans.

The Kingfisher would be fair game, though.

Oh man Kingfisher :wub:

But wait Fixed Standard Engine. Much Whine would occur!

#15 Hoax415

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:49 AM

missing omnis in use by CGB and why:
Gladiator/Executioner (masc)
Dasher/Fire Moth (masc)
Hankyu/Arctic Cheetah (CSJ design we could easily see in the game but for its visuals don't really fit w/ the rest of the clan lineup)
Kingfisher (older design)
Stooping Hawk (rare mech even for CGB)
Dragonfly/Viper (ok this is a CGB mech that was 50/50 they could have added to pack 2)

mechs CGB used (13/13):
Adder
Daishi
Man O War
Loki
Fenris
Uller
Vulture
Koshi
Black Hawk
Ryoken
Thor
Mad Cat
Masakari

I fail to see the problem at all. All of the clan mechs we have are in use by CGB. You are basically making a thread about them choosing not choosing the Dragonfly over the Fenris.

The Kodiak is a second line mech. We don't have any second line clan mechs at this time.

Edited by Hoax415, 18 September 2014 - 05:54 AM.

#16 Verdic Mckenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:50 AM

I'd tolerate a lot for some of the more legendary mechs. The MASC issue is frustrating. I still advocate for a dead module and just give those mechs the largest XL they can handle by default. I'd take that.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 18 September 2014 - 05:43 AM, said:

Oh man Kingfisher :wub:

But wait Fixed Standard Engine. Much Whine would occur!

#17 Lil Cthulhu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 554 posts
  • LocationR'lyeh

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:50 AM

View PostMurphy7, on 18 September 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

9 Energy, 2 Missile and 1 Ballistic, yes please.

#18 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:53 AM

We have our Nova's, we have our Adders (both primarily GB mechs during invasion.) And we'll have our Mad dog's soon enough.

Besides, Direwolves and Warhawks where pretty well distributed to the invading clans. Its not like we DON'T have those mechs in our arsenal.

#19 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:53 AM

I vote we make an exception, break all the rules and get the Kodiak. Case closed.

#20 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:58 AM

My guess is they felt the Ice Ferret was a better mech than the Viper (and given it will have more armor, and likely more weapon space, they could be right, though I didn't do the weight calculations on the Viper (came up with 10.5 tons of pod space on the Ice Ferrit, it's lacking in hardpoints though, so might be interesting to outfit it)

MASC could be removable dead weight like the command console was in the D-DC until they figure it out. I want my executioner!
MASC was weightless but took up crit slots. If they let you remove it, it would be a problem when they had to put it back for folks who did, and if they didn't let you remove it, it would hamper those mechs with no real returns (well, the Fire Moth would have plenty of room anyway being so light).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users