• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:16 AM

View PostLOADED, on 01 January 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

how so? still prevents ammo crits.

No.

CASE prevents ammo explosions from spreading beyond the component where the ammo explosion occurs. In an IS mech with an XL, this means it simply blows off your side torso and not the CT, but you'll still be dead.

#22 Nori Silverrage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:48 AM

Does anyone know if they are working on a Wolverine hero? Just wondering as I am thinking of picking these mechs up, but it'd be cool if I could get a mastery pack instead.. :)

#23 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:12 AM

give it until the 20th, that's when the new hero mech, whatever it is, is supposed to come out.

#24 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,620 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:33 AM

the following will be assessed by the following Clans and their Watch Brigade:

Clan Jade Falcon, cause they hate the Wolverine large in part of the Not Named Clan (Go figure)
Clan Wolf, cause the Not Named Clan slipped past them and made their way to parts unknown.
Clan Smoke Jaguar. [Read Clan Jade Falcon in this post- Russ]
Clan Ghost Bear, simply because they want to rend the heck out of the Not Named Clan they will allow Inner Sphere 'Scum to pilot the Not Named Clan's Namesake `Mech.

With that out of the way. Here's my take:

275 XL
Hardpoints: Energy RA 2; Energy LA 2; Missile LT 3; Energy RT 1; Head Energy 1

Er Lg Laser RA
Med Laser RA
LRM 10 LT
Small Laser LA
Small Laser LA
Small Laser RT
Med laser H

Quirks:
Cooldown ER, Med, and Small Laser [+15% (ER); +7.5% (Med and Small)]
Range +12.5% Medium and Small Laser
Heat Gen. +10%

RT, LT and CT get a +25 to each in armor Quirk.

#25 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:21 AM

View PostHawk819, on 08 January 2015 - 12:33 AM, said:

Hardpoints: Energy RA 2; Energy LA 2; Missile LT 3; Energy RT 1; Head Energy 1
Holy smokes, Hawk, I thought mine was radical because of eight hardpoints, since most have only six. :)

Inflatable Fish, still waiting for your Wolverine design, bub.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 08 January 2015 - 06:26 AM.

#26 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:49 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 08 January 2015 - 06:21 AM, said:

Inflatable Fish, still waiting for your Wolverine design, bub.

I wasn't criticising your build, just the painful formatting of your post. build's alright in my book. no need to get so **** about it.

but nothing says I can't provide mine anyhows. here goes.

WVR-BS "Broadside"

Engine: 275XL (Max Engine 325)

Armor: 368/370 Standard

Structure: Endo-Steel

Heat Sinks: 11 Double

Jump Jets: 3 (5 max)

Hardpoints: 2B (RT, LT); 1M (LT); 3E (RA, H); 1AMS (RT)

Loadout:

H: Medium Laser
CT: Jump Jet Class IV, AC/2 ammo (1t)
RT: AC/2
LT: AC/2, LRM10, LRM ammo (1t)
RA: 2 Medium Laser
RL: Jump Jet Class IV, AC/2 ammo (1t)
LL: Jump Jet Class IV, AC/2 ammo (1t)

Quirks: Ballistic weapon cooldown: 10%
AC/2 cooldown: 10%
Ballistic weapon velocity: 10%
AC/2 velocity: 10%
AC/2 heat generation: -10%
Torso yaw speed: 25%

The Broadside is a custom variant of the WVR-7K, designed and piloted by Ruth "Leadfoot" Collier, member of the Ransom's Corsairs mercenary corp. The build makes surprising use of two of the 7K's three shoulder-mounted missile launcher bays by repurposing them to fit twin AC/2 autocannons, overclocked for maximum sustained firepower. A single LRM10 launcher is installed in the remaining missile hardpoint to provide additional suppressive fire capacity, and three medium lasers are kept for close-range encounters. Two of the stock jump jets have been removed and the tonnage used to fit an additional in-engine heat sink. The mech's internal structure has been upgraded to endo-steel to accomodate the tonnage-intensive ballistic weapons.

Edited by Inflatable Fish, 09 January 2015 - 12:54 AM.

#27 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:33 AM

That's actually a pretty nice build, especially the way AC/2s are used in the game. I've always preferred to have both AMS and BAP on my 'Mechs since beginning play of this game; I always liked them in the tabletop game, as well. Your hardpoints are good, your armor is good, your quirks are good, but I feel as though there's a missed opportunity. This is an in-your-face build, but it would turn you into someone hunted pretty quickly, I think. Still, I imagine you could put down bad guys coming at you pretty quickly. Now, if I were just any good with cannon's, hehe...

The build of my post is based off Eric Ramey's BattleMech Designer output to text; a little formatting was required. Of course, the formatting is more for classic BattleTech, but also based off knowledge I have for this game. For me, your post is actually hard to read because there is zero formatting. I guess it's just a matter of taste.

#28 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:16 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 09 January 2015 - 06:33 AM, said:

For me, your post is actually hard to read because there is zero formatting. I guess it's just a matter of taste.

it's as close as I could get (writing it up p. much off the top of my head) to the format used by the powers that be on these very forums when introducing new mechs. unless you're referring to the fact I rarely use capital letters - in which case I agree that it may be hard to follow the flow of text. but I've developed a habit of typing this way while on the interwebs. (you'll note, however, that the actual description below the technical specs is capitalised properly.)

as for the mech build itself, I've always felt that torso-mounted ballistic hardpoints would make for an amazing WVR hero idea, especially symmetrical ones like in my creation above. you can go twin low-caliber cannons, or a single big one on whichever side you feel more comfortable with. hell, you could even stick a 20 in it if you downgraded the engine to Standard. all in all, across all the hardpoints and their locations, it would be a very versatile mech, not unlike the Summoner.

#29 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:17 AM

Wolverine with AC 20?
Posted Image

#30 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:25 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 01 January 2015 - 10:01 AM, said:

Wubverine is my Hero, just give it a Cbill bonus...

Every Wolvie is my Hero. I just want one with a Cbill bonus ;)

#31 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:46 PM

Well, they did have a "Build a Hero Wolverine" thread over on the NGNG forum last summer.

My own proposal, dubbed "Crimson Sunrise", is a late-3040s take on the personal BattleMech of Salome Ward of the Kell Hounds. ;)

The most notable Wolverine pilot is Salome Ward of the Kell Hounds, who (according to the Kell Hounds sourcebook) received her Wolverine as a gift from a family friend upon graduating from the Coventry Academy, whereupon she was made the the Laison Officer to the Kell Hounds and given command of the First Company of the First Battalion (aka "the Relentless Wolves"). Specifically, she was the commanding officer of the company's fire lance, which included her Wolverine, a Shadow Hawk, a Dervish, and a Trebuchet.

The best description of a Fire Lance that I can readily find is as follows: "Halfway between Support and Heavy Lances. Medium or heavy, mostly long-range, but at least 1 with good close-range for safety. Heavy hitters with good armor...provide supporting/covering fire and also mix it up.
Good choices are Archer, Trebuchet, Warhammer, Griffin"
It seems pretty clear that Salome Ward's Wolverine is meant to be the close-range safety/brawler in her Fire Lance (which also fits with the Wolverine's intended design as a "fast strike 'Mech" - that is, as a striker), and would be outfitted as such (that is, equipped with a relatively high-rating engine and primarily armed with close-range weaponry).

The name chosen for my proposal - which is supposed to represent a modern (e.g. late 3040s) upgrade for Salome Ward's 'Mech - is "Crimson Sunrise", as a reference to both the Kell Hounds' use of red as an official color, and to the film Red Dawn (whose protagonists form a militia group called the Wolverines).

WVR-CS "Crimson Sunrise"
Pilot: Salome Ward, Kell Hounds
  • Tonnage: 55
  • Engine: 275 XL
  • Top Speed: 81.0 kph
  • Max Engine Rating: 345
  • Armor: 370 (Standard)
  • Internal Structure: Standard
  • Torso Movement:
    • 125 degrees to each side
    • 30 degrees up and down
  • Arm Movement:
    • 30 degrees to each side
    • 35 degrees up and down
  • Weapons & Equipment:
    • Left Torso: 1 Artemis-enhanced SRM-4
    • Head: 1 Medium Laser
    • Center Torso: 1 TAG unit
    • Right Torso: 1 Artemis-enhanced SRM-4
    • Right Arm: 1 Ultra AC/5
    • x2.0 tons of UAC/5 ammunition
    • x2.0 tons of SRM ammunition
  • Hardpoints:
    • Left Torso: 1 Missile
    • Head: 1 Energy
    • Center Torso: 1 Energy
    • Right Torso: 1 Missile, 1 AMS
    • Right Arm: 1 Ballistic
  • Heat Sinks: 10 Double (all in Engine)
  • Jump Jets: 5 (5 Max)
  • ECM Capable: No
  • Module Slots: 2
  • Movement Archetype: Medium
  • Quirks: 10% bonus to Acceleration, 10% bonus to Reverse Speed Multiplier, 10% bonus to Turn Speed
  • 30% C-Bill Bonus

The "Crimson Sunrise" is designed to be a "fast strike 'Mech" in the sense of maneuverability rather than raw speed. The CS shines is in its ability to accelerate and decelerate much more quickly than the other Wolverines & its ability to change the facing of its legs far more quickly, allowing it to stutter-step & dodge-and-weave far better than its counterparts (and most other 'Mechs of the same size, for that matter). This added maneuverability is offset by the lower Max Engine Rating (345 for the CS, versus 360 for the 6R & 7K and 375 for the 6K) and a mid-range Max Jump Jet Count (5 for the CS, versus 7 for the 6R & 7K and 0 for the 6K); the basic Wolverines will hold the advantage in terms of potential top speed & potential jumping ability.

The "Crimson Sunrise" carries fewer weapon hardpoints than the other Wolverines (five (5) hardpoints for the CS, versus six (6) hardpoints for each of the other Wolverines). However, the CS benefits from having a more even distribution of hardpoints - there are weapon hardpoints in all three torso locations (a single missile launcher hardpoint in each side-torso, and a single energy weapon in the Center Torso) in addition to the traditional energy weapon hardpoint in the 'Mech's head, while the Right Arm features a single ballistic weapon hardpoint.
The starting loadout consists of a quick-firing Ultra Autocannon backed up by twinned SRM-4 launchers mated to Artemis IV units for enhanced accuracy & damage concentration, while the Head-mounted Medium Laser - a common feature of all Wolverines - provides an additional close-range punch as well as a good last-ditch "zombie" weapon. Finally, a belly-mounted TAG unit allows the CS to call in LRM support from the rest of its Fire Lance as it dances through enemy formations or takes on the role of "bird dog".

In most other respects, however, the "Crimson Sunrise" is broadly similar to the other Wolverines - the same number of Module slots, the same Movement Archetype, the same number & location of AMS hardpoints, the same arm & torso movement ranges & speeds, and the same lack of ECM capability; the differences are intended to make the CS handle significantly differently from the other Wolverines without being blatantly & outright superior (or inferior) to them.

Thoughts?

#32 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:22 AM

Bumping this thread rahter than make another wolverine thread because we need a Wolverine HERO, and a Thunderbolt HERO

Champion mechs can go whistle a tune ;

#33 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:42 AM

I truely hope they give us another ballistic wolverine. I am about Energy and Missile'd out on my 55 tonners.

#34 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:45 AM

I think we ought to keep this thread as fresh as possible... in fact, I think I'll email Tina and have her pay attention, since Russ said in the last Town Hall that he was looking for designs of a Wolverine hero. I still like mine a whole lot, and I think the fluff stories are very necessary, more so for this game than any other version that came before.

#35 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:49 PM

Posted Image

#36 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:45 AM

View PostShinobiHunter, on 09 June 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

Posted Image

This... ffs, this. How long must I wait?

#37 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

Umm, Quarantine?

#38 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

View PostMott, on 28 August 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

This... ffs, this. How long must I wait?

WVR-Q: Quarantine released about a month ago. It's kinda junk, but it does exist.

#39 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:15 AM

I find it pretty good with a UAC/5 and 3 MPL. Not as good as the meta-Wolverine but it can kill stuff.

#40 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:37 AM

Yeah, I definitely don't care for the Quarantine, and I'm a huge Wolverine fan. PGI could actually have taken at least one of our suggestions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users