43 replies to this topic

#1 ShinobiHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

I think the universe can't go much longer without one. :P It could be an interpretation of Salome Ward-Kell's personal 'mech, and use a Kell Hound style Red and Black paint job.

Wolverine Ward???
XL 300 (360 max)
3 JJ's (5 Max)
Endo structure
Standard armor
3 double Heat Sinks
Head -1 medium Laser
Right arm - 1 AC/10
Right Torso - 1 Case
2 tons AC/10 ammo
1 ton SRM ammo
1 Medium laser
Center Torso - 1 JJ
Left Torso - 1 SRM 6
1 double Heat Sink
Left arm -
Right Leg - 1 JJ
Left Leg - 1 JJ

Hardpoints
Head - 1 Energy
Right Arm - 1 Ballistic (Enlarged to make AC/20 possible, maybe remove hand/arm actuator??? it worked in the Wang right? )
Right Torso - 1 Energy
Center Torso -
Left torso - 2 Missile
Left arm -

Quirks - Standard Wolvie quirks

Can it work? Would it be worth it? What do y'all think?

(If my Smurfy skills are any good the loadout I have listed would work)

#2 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:30 PM

nah, wouldn't be worth it.

#3 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:42 PM

Not likely to have an XL300, more likely to have an XL275 or a standard 275 if it's a Lore mech. Also, CASE in an XL mech is pointless. Not going to be AC20 capable unless it comes with an AC20.

Wolverines probably need some loving. Just not that great given the alternatives in the 55 ton space.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

They already had a 'loadout' call on a Wolverine Hero mech around the same time as a Battlemaster Hero mech.

Quite a few suggestions were given there. Sadly I can't recall the link.
Can someone provide the NGNG link to that loadout request?

To the 275 engine...

There's also 330 engines and 385 engines for lore-based 55 tonners. 330 would be quite possible, but honestly I don't run fast Wolverines.

I run powerful, high endurance Wolverines.

What I would want most out of a Wolverine is a set of weapons for the left arm. Without the ability to punch, I feel very sorry for the Wolverine. Some left arm weapons would make me feel a bit better.

#5 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:53 PM

View PostKoniving, on 28 September 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

They already had a 'loadout' call on a Wolverine Hero mech around the same time as a Battlemaster Hero mech.

That would have been a nice thing to do on the official forums. I'm guessing it was on NGNG or Reddit instead though.

#6 lukerduker2

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

I remember the discussion was on the NGNG website but some people also posted their builds somewhere on these forums. Can't remember where though. I will say I have been wondering about a wolverine hero for quite a while and would be very interested in seeing how they would implement the 7M chassis as a regular chassis or hero. Would be interesting to see the double head lasers on whatever hero build they might do... Head lasers are definitely a wolverine specialty.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Wolverine

Edit: And I say interesting to see how they could implement the double head laser mounts on something else because the 7m has that pesky MASC

Edited by lukerduker2, 28 September 2014 - 03:09 PM.

#7 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

@ Bront, 275 engine does make sense. I think that is the engine that comes with all the current Wolvies. I was under the impression that CASE helped prevent ammo blowing too quickly? And an AC/20 would really breathe some life into the chassis IMO. Something that will moves fast and punches hard, even though that RA does seem to go pretty quickly.

@ Koniving, I like having the LA as a shield arm. The arms are so bulky they do a decent job blocking the side torsos. I can't begin to tell you how much I would like to run up to a Direwhale and punch it in the face :P

#8 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:34 AM

Energy boat with 375 engine cap please.

8 energy hardpoints + ECM

#9 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:36 AM

View PostCookiemonter669, on 29 September 2014 - 04:34 AM, said:

Energy boat with 375 engine cap please.

8 energy hardpoints + ECM

Why made a second sparkly hero mech? And ECM hero?? LOL they will never release this because :"that's play to win, QQ, Forum Rage..."

I think they will made something unique, with the AC/20 arm for example (has they have said above) or the ballistic weapons in the left torso, i don't know... Something cool and unique, but not play to win!

#10 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:44 AM

View PostAleski, on 30 September 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

Why made a second sparkly hero mech? And ECM hero?? LOL they will never release this because :"that's play to win, QQ, Forum Rage..."

I think they will made something unique, with the AC/20 arm for example (has they have said above) or the ballistic weapons in the left torso, i don't know... Something cool and unique, but not play to win!

well i would be fine with 4 missile,2 energy too,and the ECM must stay.

Hellbringer will have ECM and its a heavy,so why not IS should have an fast and powerful ECM-mech?

#11 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:24 AM

View PostCookiemonter669, on 30 September 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

well i would be fine with 4 missile,2 energy too,and the ECM must stay.

Hellbringer will have ECM and its a heavy,so why not IS should have an fast and powerful ECM-mech?

I don't understand your comparaison with the Hellbringer? It's a clan mech, a heavy and a non hero mech??

Why no ECM? -> Because a ECM hero mech, with no ECM on the other variants will never be release. Look at the Raven hero, lot of people were waiting for an ECM hero mech and NEIN : PGI has made a raven with JJ instead of ECM. Because they avoid the QQing of "Play to win" lithany.

And put a hero mech with 4xmissiles slots? It will be too close of the Golden Boy i think. The wolvie is design to be a jack of all trade, i think they should keep this in mind and made a mech with a mix of the three hardpoints types.
I'm a little fed up with heroes mech who are too much specialize, like the jester, the sparkly...

Best heroes are the mech with something very unique : example the Misery is the only stalker with a ballistic hardpoint; the Heavy metal the only highlander with three lazors in the left arm; the Dragon Slayer the only Victor with high torso mounted energy hardpoints...

They are not pay to win, but they are very unique compare to the "standard" varients. This is why i love the hero mechs i own.

So if i propose a hero wolverine : something like this : 2 lazors in the right arm, 2 ballistic in the left arm (It's unique) and one or two missiles in the left/right torso. Or something different like a ballistic mounted in the torsos (but i will be too close of a shawk)... I don't know, something new and shiny!
And for JJ and engine cap : adjust it if it is more powerfull/ or if it has more hardpoints than a standard variants.
I would like something new and unique on this Wolvie variant.

See you on battlefield, mechwarriors ;)

#12 L a S e R

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:39 AM

View PostAleski, on 30 September 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

I don't understand your comparaison with the Hellbringer? It's a clan mech, a heavy and a non hero mech??

Why no ECM? -> Because a ECM hero mech, with no ECM on the other variants will never be release. Look at the Raven hero, lot of people were waiting for an ECM hero mech and NEIN : PGI has made a raven with JJ instead of ECM. Because they avoid the QQing of "Play to win" lithany.

And put a hero mech with 4xmissiles slots? It will be too close of the Golden Boy i think. The wolvie is design to be a jack of all trade, i think they should keep this in mind and made a mech with a mix of the three hardpoints types.
I'm a little fed up with heroes mech who are too much specialize, like the jester, the sparkly...

Best heroes are the mech with something very unique : example the Misery is the only stalker with a ballistic hardpoint; the Heavy metal the only highlander with three lazors in the left arm; the Dragon Slayer the only Victor with high torso mounted energy hardpoints...

They are not pay to win, but they are very unique compare to the "standard" varients. This is why i love the hero mechs i own.

So if i propose a hero wolverine : something like this : 2 lazors in the right arm, 2 ballistic in the left arm (It's unique) and one or two missiles in the left/right torso. Or something different like a ballistic mounted in the torsos (but i will be too close of a shawk)... I don't know, something new and shiny!
And for JJ and engine cap : adjust it if it is more powerfull/ or if it has more hardpoints than a standard variants.
I would like something new and unique on this Wolvie variant.

See you on battlefield, mechwarriors ;)

Locust hero got ecm

#13 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:14 AM

the R is fantastic with 2 ac5, you get 52% increased fire with the perks and module...which if you haven't tried the build pretty much allows you to blow apart assault mechs before they can react to your flank.

the 6k is the laser boat, 3 large pulse ftw

the 7k focuses on srm brawling with the perks.

so the hero mech would most likely focus on a spread of weapon points. ballistic each arm. energy in each torso, missle slot each torso.

I would prefer if it didn't use the ward name.

#14 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:01 AM

Wubverine is my Hero, just give it a Cbill bonus...

#15 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

View PostL a S e R, on 01 January 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

Locust hero got ecm

I have made this post BEFORE the release of the hero locust.

Check the date of publication before posting for nothing...

#16 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

View PostBront, on 28 September 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

Also, CASE in an XL mech is pointless.

how so? still prevents ammo crits.

#17 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

How about a Wolverine 'Mech to live up to the name of the animal... (This is swapped over to MWO-ese, including Hard Points)

WVR-7A Wolverine (HERO: Hammer Down)

Mass: 55 tons
Chassis: Endo Steel
Power Plant: Core Tek 275 XL
..... Cruising Speed: 54.0 km/h
..... Maximum Speed: 81 km/h (w/out Speed Tweak)
Jump Jets: Northrup 12000
..... Jump Capacity: 27.93 meters
Armor: Kallon Royalstar
Hardpoints: 4 Energy, 4 Missile
Manufacturer(s): Kallon Industries
..... Communications System: Tek BattleCom
..... Targeting & Tracking System: Garret T11b

Type: WVR-7A Wolverine
Technology Base: Inner Sphere Level 2 Custom
Tonnage: 55

Equipment (Mass)
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel II (3.0)
Engine: 275 XL (8.0)
..... Walking MP: 5 (54.8 kph)
..... Running MP: 8 (81 kph, w/o Speed Tweak)
..... Jumping MP: 4 (27.93 m)
Heat Sinks: Double ~ 13 [26] (3.0)
Gyro: (3.0)
Cockpit: (3.0)
Armor Factor: 352 (11.0)
.....................................Internal...................Armor
.....................................Structure................Value
..... Head:......................9............................18
..... Center Torso:..........36..........................48
..... ..... Rear:...............................................22
..... Right/Left Torso:.....26...........................32
..... ..... Rear:...............................................16
..... Right/Left Arm:........18..........................34
..... Right/Left Leg:........26..........................50

Battle Value (2): 1328.......... Cost : 10,656,458 C-Bills

Weapons and Ammo || Location || Critical || Heat (Mass)
Medium Pulse Laser..|| Head......|| 1..........|| 4 (2.0)
Large Laser...............|| Rt Arm...|| 2..........|| 8 (5.0)
Medium Laser............|| Rt Torso || 1..........|| 3 (1.0)
Anti-Missile System....|| Rt Torso || 1..........|| 1 (0.5)
..... AMS Ammo..........|| Rt Torso || 1..........|| 0 (1.0)
Beagle Active Probe..|| Rt Torso || 2..........|| 0 (1.5)
Medium Laser............|| Lt Torso || 1..........|| 3 (1.0)
SRM-6.......................|| Lt Torso..|| 2..........|| 4 (3.0)
..... Artemis IV FCS....|| Lt Torso..|| 1..........|| 0 (1.0)
..... Ammo SRM-6......|| Lt Torso..|| 1..........|| 0 (1.0)
SRM-6.......................|| Lt Torso..|| 2..........|| 4 (3.0)
..... Artemis IV FCS....|| Lt Torso..|| 1..........|| 0 (1.0)
..... Ammo SRM-6......|| Lt Torso..|| 1..........|| 0 (1.0)

QUIRKS: Bonus 12.5% Medium Laser Cooldown
..... -10% Medium Laser Heat Buildup
..... -10% Medium Laser Beam Duration
..... Bonus 12.5% Missile Weapon Cooldown
..... -12.5% Missile Weapon Heat Buildup
..... Bonus 12.5% SRM-6 Weapon Cooldown
..... -12.5% SRM-6 Weapon Cooldown
..... +16 Armor on Left Torso
..... +8 Internal Structure Right Torso

NOTABLE MECHWARRIORS: Jim "Hammer Down" Gooland
Jim's career began as that of most MechWarrior's, on patrol daily on whatever backwater world he was set to be on during a given month. See, Jim had joined the Armed Forces Federated Suns in the mid-20s, served against Liao during Hanse Davion's temper-fit, when he gave his wife, Melissa Steiner, the Capellan Confederation, and had been driving his family's heirloom Wolverine all that time, a 6R. He seemed to always lose his AC/5 in a fight, and wound up going into battle without it quite a few times, making due with his SRM-6 and Medium Laser, especially against many of the poorer mercenary forces he had to face off against from time-to-time. When the Fourth War ended, however, he was able to get an upgraded AC/5 and his 'Mech back up to a workable status.

In 3049, he was on assignment on Nanking, where the Kallon factory was, the very one that produced the Wolverine, and he was able to take a tour of the factory one day, when he was off-duty, which, because he and his family had piloted one for so long, a sneak peak at some advanced technology being put into what was being dubbed the Wolverine 7A. That very evening, a mercenary forced showed up at a pirate jump point, but this force had been augmented, and their identification allowed for the AFFC command on Nanking to learn their contract history and general information about them, but the incoming force was far too large for the status the mercenary unit should have had. It would later be revealed that Gibson Federated BattleMechs, who had found out about the Star League Memory Corps, and that Kallon Industries had been able to acquire information for it, where Gibson had not, launched a force of five mercenary units to take those plans from Nanking, in an act of industrial espionage.

However, not knowing this at the time, and the supposedly defunct mercenary unit being without any sort of known contract, Jim Gooland and his AFFC Battalion were charged to defend the plant. The Company Jim was in were stationed at one of four 'Mech-sized entrances to the plant, set to defend in that sector; one enemy Union-Class DropShip came in directly over the plant and dropped a full Company of Medium and Light BattleMechs into the midst of Jim's Company. A fight to the death ensued, where the maneuvers of the opposition forced Jim's Company to move into the mouth of the Kallon plant and, eventually, cost nearly all of his Company their 'Mechs. His power plant and both legs having been knocked out, Jim radioed the situation to higher and proceeded to leave his 'Mech, when the Plant CEO, fleeing from it and almost running Gooland over in the process, ordered him into the prototype 7A build, so the mercenary opposition couldn't have it; he was to get out of the factory at all costs, or deny the opposing force ownership. The 'Mech was the last bit of anything related to the higher technology, as all of the computers had been scrubbed and destroyed, in the plant.

When Jim found the pristine 'Mech, five technicians explained to him about all of the new systems, completed loading of ammunition, coolant, and the last few armor plates, and helped walk Jim through the sequence. On the way out of the plant, a Jenner, a Shadow Hawk, and a Locust, all three of which had been beaten hard by his now-defunct Company, intercepted him and the technicians driving out. In an effort to cover their escape, he immediately downed the Locust with a pair of SRM loads, cleaning off both side Torso's, hit the Shadow Hawk in the head with the Large Laser, giving that pilot a moment of pause, and destroyed the remaining Armor and Internal Structure on the Left Leg and Torso of the Jenner. As the three 'Mechs worked to recover, Jim knew he would have little time to get the technicians away and make sure the CEO was protected, which meant he needed to get outside, and quickly, before the opposition could gather itself and call for help. He knew it would be easier to fight outside the plant, anyway, so he got a move on.

The first blasts of laser fire to the Wolverine's back came from the Shadow Hawk, whose pilot had found his second wind, though he was quickly joined by a Trebuchet and another Wolverine 6R. Once clear of the structure he cut a hard left and worked his situational map to find the rest of his Battalion, that he might join ranks with them, again. Calling desperately for help, Gooland found out he would need to wait for at least two minutes before any forces could be made available to help him, and then they would have to get to him. Calling up where emplacements might yet be, he then turned left again, away from his own forces, but toward the two emplacements still marked as functional; he would have help, after all. Again, however, it wasn't long before the other 'Mechs came around the corner, and Jim knew he had to turn or he would lose the Wolverine altogether.

The 6R fired the last two loads of Autocannon ammo at him, only one of which connected with his Right Leg, and the Trebuchet fired it's last rack of Long-Range Missile ammo, the missiles bouncing harmlessly from his Head and Center Torso armor because they'd not had time to go active. The Shadow Hawk, trailing behind the other two because of a bad Left Leg Actuator Jim hadn't noticed, before, fired a volley of Autocannon shells at Gooland's new toy, as well, all five rounds pounding into his Left Arm, and the Five Rack from its Right Torso, where the armor cover, there had already been torn off by previous fighting. Jim almost leapt from his seat with joy when the Shadow Hawk shut down from firing only those two weapons; he discerned that, in all likelihood, the same damage that had taken the Right Torso panel from the 'Mech had also managed to damage the reactor, and most likely he was missing a Heat Sink, as well.

Jim continued to back off, anyway, using his Large Laser on each 'Mech in-turn, until they came into range of his Medium Laser's and twin Short-Range Missile racks, and then he was able to drop the Trebuchet with little more effort, destroyed the Hip Actuator on the Shadow Hawk, and tore armor panels from the Wolverine 6R, whose pilot decided it was best to retire the combat, before he joined the ranks of the dispossessed.

As the fighting wound down, his Battalion hard-hit but victorious, nonetheless, the CEO of Kallon asked for the presence of the MechWarrior who had fought his prototype Wolverine so well, and gave the 'Mech to Jim Gooland for his bravery, at half-price. Sergeant Gooland continues to work off the remaining five million C-Bills he owes Kallon Industries to this day, but his prowess in the 7A has earned him accolades time-after-time, and may continue to do so. The name of his original 6R had been the Hammer Down, named so by his Great-Grandfather in the Third Succession War, and that name passed to the new 7A, as well.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 04 June 2015 - 08:39 AM.

#18 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

Put an end to THAT conversation, huh?

#19 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage