16 replies to this topic

#1 Kassatsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:54 PM

I'll only post my 1X builds as I decided to go with that over the 3 due to jump jets being worth less than a CASE on an XL engine currently, but... Threw these together in a few minutes, only really played with the XL275 version but I'll be throwing that standard 275 version in a few matches tomorrow night. So far it runs like an easy bake oven on legs (not a single efficiency woo), but it's pretty fun.

XL275 8x mplas: BJ-1X
Standard 275 6x mlas 2x mplas: BJ-1X

I don't think either build can alpha twice consecutively (I've only tried the 8x mplas XL275 version so far though) and you WILL die attempting it (I should note that it won't be from overheating). An alpha followed by controlled groups tends to work best if you're not doing the standard tactic of hitting somebody with an alpha and running like a scared little girl until you cool off again. I personally have the three in the left arm in group 1, right arm in 2, and torso in 3.

I left the 2 torso pulse lasers on the standard version because I'm pretty sure it actually winds up being more heat efficient than 8 medium lasers on an alpha strike (which is pretty much the point of both builds). Insert ghostbusters reference here.

Edited cause I realized I forgot FF on the XL275 version on smurfy.

Edited by Kassatsu, 28 September 2014 - 08:55 PM.

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:05 PM

Too hot. I will save you the work and tell you the correct build.

250 STD or 295XL + 8x mlas + 17 DHS.

Anything running hex mlas needs 15 DHS minimum. Once you realize that you simply pick a Jenner, Cicada, Blackjack or Hunchback based on your speed preference and proceed from there.

#3 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:12 AM

The one ton saved through Ferro-Fibrous is usually not worth the loss of 14 slots, especially on an energy boat like the BJ-1X which needs lots of room for heatsinks.

I'd suggest something like this build; 18 total heatsinks, six MLs for brawling, and an ERLL for a long distance nuisance. I used a 280XL instead of a 275XL because they weigh the same. If you want to go full-brawl, this build drops the ERLL for two MPLs and ups the engine to a 295XL to get into brawling distance more quickly.

#4 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:44 PM

View PostRuccus, on 29 September 2014 - 12:12 AM, said:

The one ton saved through Ferro-Fibrous is usually not worth the loss of 14 slots, especially on an energy boat like the BJ-1X which needs lots of room for heatsinks.

I'd suggest something like this build; 18 total heatsinks, six MLs for brawling, and an ERLL for a long distance nuisance. I used a 280XL instead of a 275XL because they weigh the same. If you want to go full-brawl, this build drops the ERLL for two MPLs and ups the engine to a 295XL to get into brawling distance more quickly.

I was going more for survivability than brawling, particularly in the standard one. The idea was to use the speed to flank and hit somebody from behind, then get the hell out. Kind of works, but it's way too hot and the blackjack seems to be a giant center torso unless you're twisting 90 degrees, so honestly I don't see any reason to not use the XL. Used 275 cause that's what I happened to have lying around and didn't want to spend the money on anything larger. Will definitely play with the builds a bit more for additional heat sinks.

#5 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:40 PM

Here's what I've been running.

BJ-1X

The build is meant for ridge peeking as opposed to straight up brawling, but so far, I've been having fun with it. The massive frontal armour bias is a bit of a risk, but with no shield arms to soak up damage, it's necessary to keep this thing alive in a firefight, especially with all those Clan gauss builds out there. The quad small lasers don't put out insane damage, but they can be fired all day with the MLs tossed in.

Oh, FYI, put the lasers into the arms first. The PPC will go into the highest hardpoint.

#6 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

This is what I run on my BJ-3 PPC energy support.

Fight at mid range with the team brawler and use the PPC to slap any target of opportunity or to rip out mech components.
Not meant for brawling itself, always fall back to a friendly if you are being rush by enemy.

#7 Mr Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 141 posts
  • LocationIn a Shadowhawk

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:17 PM

Well this is my bj i can do 4-500 damage easy in this thing also great heat;
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dad968a4583124b

#8 Haydin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:11 PM

This is what I run on my BJ-3:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5fd8ff2f84645ac

I absolutely love it. It's got some nice long range support/sniping power, good mobility, and a great close up punch. The BAP is nice to squeeze in there for when you're fighting ecm, or getting quick info to help you place your 4 ML shots better in a close range fight.

#9 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:19 PM

This is the one you want. 3LL. Poke at distance.

BJ-3 AMS verson

or

BJ-3

#10 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

I use the BJ is for range really as getting too close or into a brawl does not play to it's strengths (no arm movement).

I use 2LL/4ML with a reasonably speedy engine and I think it's a pretty powerful energy build (doesn't compare to the clan lasers, obviously).

I run it like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3083fbaf1215a3c

If I had the CBills I'd buy the ML range module to bring the range of the ML up closer to the LL so that I could shoot all weapons at around 400 metres for more damage. 350 is OK. Any closer and you risk getting into SRM range and this is not a build meant for brawling.

#11 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:15 PM

Standard FastJack (B8's build, 295xl, 8 mlas, DHS to the brim), has been my most reliable 1K+ dmg mech. Manage heat through trigger groups; 3x arm mount on R and L mouse buttons, Alpha on 3rd mouse button. Stagger the firing, R (beat) L (beat) Alpha (beat) <--- which just adds in the torso mounted lasers, since the arms should still be recharging; and you can mete out damage allll match long.

Big old schwag of green light also useful for blinding opponents on River City Night.

#12 Lyxid

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...71cfaaefb3d0c70
Modules: MP Range 5, ML cd + Range.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...73c979d451fa236
Modules: ML Range + cd, LL Range or cd, your choice.

Difference between the builds:
The first one is a dps, brawler one, you can easly shot 3alpha on some cold map.

The second, @ 450M (With the ML range 5) you do a 30 pinpoint damage alpha (Where you cannot exceed 15dmg with the first build @ 450M). But after 2 alphas, it heat up.
More of a poke build.

Choose your build, i tried like 10builds on my first mech (Which is the Bj1x) And only the 2 I'm listing are one of the best.

Ofc if you want ams, either change the engine for a lighter one, remove heatsink, or remove the medpulse.

#13 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:04 AM

So you know how lots of people are using 3 ER larges on shadowhawk 2Ks these days? You can totally do that on a BJ-1x and it works quite well. Drop them to regular large lasers and stick on the range extender 5 if heat is a problem.

#14 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

The BJ-3's PPC and range quirks have made it a pretty solid fire support mech. Stay behind the line in cover and you can do pretty well.

However, I think some heat reduction quirks would help. Say, 5% Energy heat reduction + 5% PPC heat reduction.

Now, the 1X needs the LPL quirk swapped for a LL or ERLL one. I've never even seen an LPL 1X build. It's either ML, MPL or ML/LL mixed.

#15 maxdest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:42 PM

Just been running a BJ-1X build with 2 LPL and 4 mediums.
BJ-1X

The BJ has always had good high mounted hard points, and a decent profile, but the rather nice combo of buffs to both LPL and the BJ1X quirks mean this is now a deadly little critter.

Probably to early to tell if this is now a top tier mech for PUG, especially as lots of un-mastered ice ferrets about; but to me this certainly doesn't feel too far off the pre patch Stormcrow.

Edited by maxdest, 04 November 2014 - 03:47 PM.

#16 Cosmocat

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:33 PM

I'm loving dual LPL on the right arm with the BJ-1X. That's 22 damage with an extremely convenient/high hardpoint, no concern about ammo, decent range for poking, and low enough heat that you can fire it almost constantly. With the speed (up to 115kph!) and low profile of the blackjack, you are minimally exposed to risk as you peek around a wall or hill to blast whales and other foolish enemies in their stupid butts.

That's the core of the build I'm running right now, and for what it's worth, it's gotten me my top two highest damage matches ever, even though I've only started to play with it. I'm running an XL 295 for the engine and have three medium lasers as backup weapons as well as to add extra punch to alphas at short range (2 LPL + 2 ML = 37 pinpoint damage. Yikes!). Overall, this is a really speedy, sneaky, dangerous mech and I think the quirks have made it pretty amazing, at least for PUG play.

BJ-1X, 295 XL, 2xLPL 3xMLas

Edited by Cosmocat, 23 November 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#17 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:12 PM

View PostCosmocat, on 23 November 2014 - 02:33 PM, said:

I'm loving dual LPL on the right arm with the BJ-1X. That's 22 damage with an extremely convenient/high hardpoint, no concern about ammo, decent range for poking, and low enough heat that you can fire it almost constantly. With the speed (up to 115kph!) and low profile of the blackjack, you are minimally exposed to risk as you peek around a wall or hill to blast whales and other foolish enemies in their stupid butts.

That's the core of the build I'm running right now, and for what it's worth, it's gotten me my top two highest damage matches ever, even though I've only started to play with it. I'm running an XL 295 for the engine and have three medium lasers as backup weapons as well as to add extra punch to alphas at short range (2 LPL + 2 ML = 37 pinpoint damage. Yikes!). Overall, this is a really speedy, sneaky, dangerous mech and I think the quirks have made it pretty amazing, at least for PUG play.

BJ-1X, 295 XL, 2xLPL 3xMLas

That's an awesome build, and is currently my favourite mech. I run a slightly smaller engine and shave off a little more armour for an extra heatsink on my WubJack. I don't know if it's just a placebo, but with the extra HS I seem to do far better than I do with armour instead. maybe it's because if you get hit by anything bigger than a medium, the armour is largely irrelevant anyways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users