Api And Xml Support?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Medi0cr3

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:50 PM

Would love to see this in an XML format as well!!!!!

Certain developers like certain things and I have a fancy for the XML formatting :D

Hope to see the finished product in both JSON and XML.

-M

#2 trampi

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:47 PM

I support your request on one hand, as the API developers should not have too many problems to serialize the data to XML if they can serialize to JSON. On the other should you as a developer be able to deal with JSON almost as easy as with XML, even if you have little experience with using JSON yet. XML and JSON are both great, easy to parse formats.

So don't be afraid to try JSON :-)

#3 Guest_Tim_*

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

I'm not afraid. Its the fact that I already have a great library setup for pulling XML and using PHP to do all the work on my server side for updating my DB. I can work with JSON, however, I am no where near interested in creating a new library for it.

#4 Medi0cr3

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:24 PM

I'm not afraid. Its the fact that I already have a great library setup for pulling XML and using PHP to do all the work on my server side for updating my DB. I can work with JSON, however, I am no where near interested in creating a new library for it.

**Delete the above, I dun goofed. Not logged in and not realizing it ftw.

#5 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:48 AM

I'm actually a bit surprised the API uses JSON, considering all the game files are XML. Seems like it would just be a time saver to use XML instead of converting the data.

#6 Noesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:53 PM

JSON is more applicable to web based applications. With CW and pilot information advertised as being made available in the future this makes it more practicable for that more dynamic data to be associated with player unit web tools.

Appropriate parsing techniques can be applied to both XML and JSON data of course with web tools and I would not be opposed to the provision of both but that is not my call to make. But web based applications have been made more readily compatible to use the JSON format in how it interprets and places them conveniently into arrays for use which might have a bearing also on overall performance with player applications than say applying various XML file reads/interpretations.

The idea of file use in a singular pass to relevant data models and placed into an array for use is then more readily applied in JSON whereas with XML it could be perhaps tempting to apply lots of singular commands to read the hosted XML data using variable/id calls than opposed to the more preferable reading files in one go for interpretation. This would perhaps cause more of a traffic issue then also for PGI's hosting services.

JSON is however less of an overhead due to its formating but I have no reference if that would be an issue. I suspect not however especially when comparatively XML short tag format would potentially be of a similar order of size.

Edited by Noesis, 01 November 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#7 Night Fury76

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:06 PM

Jquery and javascript parse Json with default methods.

#8 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:18 PM

View PostNoesis, on 01 November 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

JSON is more applicable to web based applications. With CW and pilot information advertised as being made available in the future this makes it more practicable for that more dynamic data to be associated with player unit web tools.

Appropriate parsing techniques can be applied to both XML and JSON data of course with web tools and I would not be opposed to the provision of both but that is not my call to make. But web based applications have been made more readily compatible to use the JSON format in how it interprets and places them conveniently into arrays for use which might have a bearing also on overall performance with player applications than say applying various XML file reads/interpretations.

The idea of file use in a singular pass to relevant data models and placed into an array for use is then more readily applied in JSON whereas with XML it could be perhaps tempting to apply lots of singular commands to read the hosted XML data using variable/id calls than opposed to the more preferable reading files in one go for interpretation. This would perhaps cause more of a traffic issue then also for PGI's hosting services.

JSON is however less of an overhead due to its formating but I have no reference if that would be an issue. I suspect not however especially when comparatively XML short tag format would potentially be of a similar order of size.

View PostNight Fury76, on 02 November 2014 - 11:06 PM, said:

Jquery and javascript parse Json with default methods.

Which would be true if they expected only web app usage. When making desktop and mobile applications in c# (which I currently am) xml is easier. It has stacks more documentation, at the least.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users