158 replies to this topic

#1 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:56 AM

dear all:

I am thinking of building myself a brand new pc as my upcoming self birthday present: (YES GTX 970 I am LOOKING AT YOU).

one thing that comes up to mind: I want to install windows 10 on my new rig. the only thing is that does mwo works on windows 10?

would appreciate some advice or experience.

also, since i will be using the new rig to play mwo only ( i got my gaming labtop for my other games) and i love the joy of upgrading to the latest (i.e. broadwell cpu 14nm in the future on my LGA 1150), I was thinking of getting a budget g3258, which is an overclockable dual core. I read reviews it did very well on major AAA titles, often on par with 4670k in terms of framerates. this way i could justifly to myself for upgrading to a proper i5 grade 14nm cpu when the desktop varients are released next H2.

anyways, dual core....MWO......am i asking for trouble?

sorry for the double barrel question. I just want all very high settting 60 FPS on my 2560*1440, currently using an HD8970m 2560*1440 external screen at 60 fps........all low D: and two med............... which defeats the purpose of WQHD partly.......

cheers boys!

CAMPER

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:07 AM

There's a Windows 10? We just got Windows 8 and might be looking at a 9...
The most current version of Windows according to google is 8.1.

http://en.wikipedia....indows_versions
Huh, apparently they are skipping 9.
"Windows 10 TBA 2015 NT 6.4 TBA"

No one would know yet.

#3 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:08 AM

Umm... I dont really think Windows 10 is quite up to running MWO in its current form (Seeing as Windows 9 has to come out first).

EDIT: Hmm. No Windows 9 then... But Win 10 is still not out yet, so no chance of running it due to lack of OS Software at the moment.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 06 October 2014 - 04:10 AM.

#4 Idalgos

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 98 posts
  • LocationLipetsk, Russia

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:09 AM

Well, for strange reasons where will be no Windows 9, they jumped straight to 10. http://betanews.com/...0-presentation.

#5 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:15 AM

I guess MS is reacting to the view of Users saying that every second Windows version is junk (Win 95, ME and Vista im looking at you)... so to fix the problem they are leaving out every second windows version to see if this helps :P .

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 09 October 2014 - 12:44 AM.

#6 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:19 AM

View Postcheapcamper, on 06 October 2014 - 03:56 AM, said:

anyways, dual core....MWO......am i asking for trouble?

no trouble, mwo unfortunately is one of those games that don't scale well to many cores, running the G3258 myself, on 4.6 GHz it outperforms my old i5-750 at 4.0 GHz.

Other games supposedly don't take kindly to dualcores, but I reckon they'll run fine with some settings turned down. For now I've only tested arma3, mwo and counterstrike go, all run great (relatively of course, arma3 can be made to run like **** on any system if you run lots of ai and scripts on a slow multiplayer server)

Overclocking results may vary, someone on the anandtech forums had 2, one that did 4.9 an another that wouldn't even reach 4.0

#7 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:49 AM

From what I've heard, lots of games crash hard and frequently on the Windows 10 preview version that is currently out. I wouldn't bother, and there's no actual good reason to run a preview OS as your main OS anyway.

#8 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:59 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 06 October 2014 - 04:19 AM, said:

no trouble, mwo unfortunately is one of those games that don't scale well to many cores, running the G3258 myself, on 4.6 GHz it outperforms my old i5-750 at 4.0 GHz.

Those with more cores generally DO have better performance, so... yeah, that's definitely not right. People with i7s are generally getting better performance than those with i5s at similar/same clocks. One of the bigger factors I've seen is the architecture itself. It seems like Haswell chips particularly excel in this game. Clock speed does matter, too, but I've seen no difference beyond 3.8GhZ on my 5820K (I'm GPU bound, though, so I can't reliably test this), and on Sandy Bridge I didn't see any difference beyond 4.4GhZ. Based on the overall IPC boosts between SB and HW, these should be about equivalent, but my 6 core/12 thread chip gets way better minimum FPS than my 4 core/8 thread chip did.

Will a dual core be the worst experience ever? No. Clock that thing as high as it will go and you'll probably be happy. Does that mean you shouldn't consider an upgrade in the future? No. More cores and more cache never hurts. I'm not sure how well that dual-core will clock, so I can't really tell you how well it will do in MWO, but I can almost guarantee that the CPU-intensive graphics settings will not be set at Very High if you want a consistent 60fps.

#9 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:06 AM

if you're building a PC just to play MWO, you should get a good CPU due to the way Cryengine works. A 4790K is a pretty good choice.

you can't really compare MWO games that are running other engines or even games that do run Cryengine. MWO is really unoptimised and you need the brute power of the CPU to get it to run really high settings

#10 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:08 AM

so.... mister Flapdrol..... did you use the stock cooler for your G3258's current clock rate and under what circumstance would the framerate be affected in MWO after the new clockrate? cause I want to do all very high on 2560*1440

also, If i got a powerful GPU and run DX 11, it SHOULD shift a lot of the workload from CPU to GPU rite?

thankyou for your wisdom!

Edited by cheapcamper, 06 October 2014 - 05:10 AM.

#11 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:14 AM

To dear Knightsljx:

yes, eventually I would get a good CPU atlease i5, it is just that I want to get an broadwell if not skylake I5 that is of 14 nm, which is released towards the End of 2015. If i am getting a proper cpu I want to get the newest one with new technology, not another same old 22nm fab process.

for the GPU however.......I cant wait for 20 nm ANYMORE! NVIDIA PLEZ take my money! GTX970 LUV <3

#12 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:15 AM

View PostKoniving, on 06 October 2014 - 04:07 AM, said:

There's a Windows 10? We just got Windows 8 and might be looking at a 9...
The most current version of Windows according to google is 8.1.

http://en.wikipedia....indows_versions
Huh, apparently they are skipping 9.
"Windows 10 TBA 2015 NT 6.4 TBA"

No one would know yet.

They're skipping 9 to prevent the sensation that this is just 8 with some fixes and a little bit more jazzed up front end to turn your computer into an iPhone.

So it's the must have software. Must have because you won't have a choice, not because of actual substantial improvements from what I'm lead to believe.

Hope my info is wrong.

#13 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:16 AM

7 ate 9.

Windows 10 wont be released until late 2015 so it probably isn't yet possible to determine if/when MWO will function in that environment.

#14 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:18 AM

I'm only running the Win 10 preview on a virtual machine, so it's not a fair judgment.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 06 October 2014 - 05:18 AM.

#15 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:19 AM

xWiredx

Thankyou for sharing your insight! the analysis is spot on! i which there are more tech savvy gentlemans in this forum that are willing to PUSH THE BOUNDRIES into THE GREAT UNKNOWN and knowledgable enough To solve the grand Mystery of "How THE HECK MWO works?"

please keep up the good work!

#16 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:05 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 06 October 2014 - 04:59 AM, said:

More cores and more cache never hurts.

True. And it may very well be that running at higher detail levels can load up a quadcore cpu better, but I was trying to get better performance, so my settings were quite modest on my quad.

View Postcheapcamper, on 06 October 2014 - 05:08 AM, said:

so.... mister Flapdrol..... did you use the stock cooler for your G3258's current clock rate and under what circumstance would the framerate be affected in MWO after the new clockrate? cause I want to do all very high on 2560*1440

also, If i got a powerful GPU and run DX 11, it SHOULD shift a lot of the workload from CPU to GPU rite?

thankyou for your wisdom!

I didn't test at very high. Not sure what you mean by shifting workload, the only reason the cpu would do less work at those settings is if the gpu can't keep up, so yes it'll "shift", but don't expect performance to increase or anything, then agian the deep drops might be cpu limited anyway so you might as well turn it up.

And I got the 3258 to 4.5 on the stock cooler. Kind of depends on what temps and voltages you're comfortable with :).

Edited by Flapdrol, 06 October 2014 - 06:06 AM.

#17 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:20 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 06 October 2014 - 06:05 AM, said:

True. And it may very well be that running at higher detail levels can load up a quadcore cpu better, but I was trying to get better performance, so my settings were quite modest on my quad.

I didn't test at very high. Not sure what you mean by shifting workload, the only reason the cpu would do less work at those settings is if the gpu can't keep up, so yes it'll "shift", but don't expect performance to increase or anything, then agian the deep drops might be cpu limited anyway so you might as well turn it up.

And I got the 3258 to 4.5 on the stock cooler. Kind of depends on what temps and voltages you're comfortable with :).

well i think i will get a gtx 970,

a person at other post got a gtx 970 with 2560 1440 all very high and framerate ranges from 55-70 according to his experence, so i guess a gtx 970 would enable it not GPU bound most of the time as it offers gtx 780+ performances.

as for a safe temp..... as long as it does not bust my mobo then its ok, after all....i am waiting for that BROADWELL 14nm!

#18 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:31 AM

You know guys, 3 minutes on Google would tell you why Windows 10 is named Windows 10. It has nothing to do with impressions, and everything to do with software coding.

Lots of software has code in it that assumes that any OS with a name that contains "Windows 9" is the Win9x kernel, ie 95, 98 and ME. It's apparently a widespread shortcut that could have potentially caused all sorts of problems.

And yeah, more cores are wonderful things. The explosion from quad core to high multithreading took place faster than I would have expected a couple of years ago. I have a 3570k, but in about a year I plan on selling that machine (or giving it to a friend) and getting a 5960X (now that I know it OCs alright) and either a pair of 970s, or something equivalent from AMD if them getting access to the smaller 20nm fabrication process that Nvidia had to skip ends up giving them an edge. That isn't to say an i5 will hurt most gaming; it won't. It doesn't even really hurt MWO, which is an unoptimized mess and therefore outlier. I'd just rather be ahead than struggling to keep up.

#19 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:41 AM

At minimum it will be 6 months (probabaly more like 12) before Windows 10 is released, at current many drivers are not available (I know this from experiance having installed the preview on a PC for testing) the Graphical User Interface and many features could undergo major changes between now and launch.

by all means try it but unless you are an IT enthusiast, who does not mind wiping the machine and reinstallling once a month I strongly recomend against installing Windows 10 as your primary opperating system (on a secondary drive alongside 7 or 8 should be fine though) until it is formaly released.

#20 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

I may transition over to Windows 10 before release, and generally speaking I don't think most people would be hurt doing so, because it's tweaks on a relatively mature OS (this isn't the Vista beta; oh god that), but Windows 10 just isn't there yet. It's easily a year plus from release, judging by the state of it.

That said, once we start getting the late beta and early RC stages, it should be quite stable and nice. I used both Windows 7 and 8 in later beta stages as my primary OS and never had a problem, but they were much further along. Windows 10 might as well still be called "alpha" at this point, because it's definitely not feature-complete.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users