Gauss Cannon Mechanics Are Excluding Novice Players?

69 replies to this topic

#21 KingDavid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 154 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:31 AM

View Postzortesh, on 07 October 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:

When you view other players you don't see them charging.

macro works like this.
You have guass on right click, you charge guass, when you release guass button it also presses the ppc button (usally number 6).

More advanced ones beep when its charged, when it loses charge, and when its ready to charge again.

The macro is for ppc/guass, its useless if your just using guass... well less u want a bunch of annoying beeping.

Thank you for the info.

#22 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:32 AM

View PostElizander, on 07 October 2014 - 01:20 AM, said:

Gauss is okay really. Pop around a corner and get hit for 30 damage and the user has to charge before he gets the shot off. I can do instant 40 damage with dual AC10 dual ER PPC Ilya from around 500m or a BoomJager/Cat will do the same to you if you are close enough.

I suggest learning how to play with around 4 back armor. It alleviates a lot of the problems medium mechs have against 30-40 point alphas since a centurion will have 44 side torso armor and 60 CT armor. Just get used to not getting shot in the back. The only time I died due to low back armor in the last few games was shutting down as an Ilya with 2 back armor that got stripped from LRMs and some 4MG light mech ripped my CT but other than that it's mostly not an issue. If you're dying to back hits often anyway that's another problem entirely.

Excepting they might then need to charge for 1000+ meters, and guass are the least visible projectile, and i know for me atleast they often lack for the directional damage indicator or any impact, usually i hear the guass whizzing past sound but take damage, occasionally I actually hear guass impact sound... but thats rare.

And honestly the short charge time encourages good use of guassrifles.

Edited by zortesh, 07 October 2014 - 01:33 AM.

#23 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:35 AM

View Postzortesh, on 07 October 2014 - 01:06 AM, said:

I seem to remember all us gamers ignoring those big manuals and just pressing every button in every way till we figured stuff out, the green bar going across when you charge the guass is sortof self explanatory.

Thou you are right, there are alot of mechanics in this game not explained and we could really use a manual.

but if you only click a button there is no green bar going across xD

#24 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:37 AM

View PostKingDavid, on 07 October 2014 - 01:31 AM, said:

Thank you for the info.

I'm quite sure no one who uses the gauss longer than 2 or 3 matches needs a macro to fire them with the PPC. Just put your gauss on the left mouse button, charge, when you release the left button you press the right one (with the ppc on it). This is a motion you can do with 100% accuracy after a short time of getting used to it.

If human beings would really need a macro to perform such an easy task no one would be able to play a guitar.

#25 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:38 AM

I made a suggestion thread a little while back about the Gauss Rifle and new players.

In the Mechbay, have the Caution Triangle (the one with the "!" in it) pop up when the Gauss Rifle is equipped. It will contain a message explaining how the mechanic works.

Now as a new player, you are made aware of the unique mechanic. If you still want to try it out, visit the training grounds and practice.

That seems descent enough of an idea to me.

#26 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:03 AM

I agree, Gauss never supposed to have a charge, remove it, make it more novice friendly.
:ph34r:

Edited by kapusta11, 07 October 2014 - 02:04 AM.

#27 Dorion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:27 AM

I don't mind the charge up time. I just wish they would fire once they were charged by keeping your finger on the button, not taking it off. Loved my gauss in mw4. Am new to mwo and I've stopped using gauss until I get used to other aspects of the game like effectively piloting my mech. Call me pathetic or whatever you want but there it is. Don't like the gauss mechanic, but I will address it in my gaming once I get some other stuff down first which could take awhile. In the meantime I feel I'm missing out on a great weapon.

#28 Carrion Hound

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 184 posts
  • LocationThe depths of your discontent

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:30 AM

Best solution: Wait until the IS quirkpass.

#29 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:32 AM

I for one understood Gauss charge when PPC's were not 850m/s projectile speed. If you want to make it a sniper weapon just reduce it's dps alot by increasing cycle time to like 5 seconds or so.

It's already fragile as hell, heavy, 7 critslots and triggers an ammo explosion more ofthen than actual ammunition when destroyed.

Edited by MisterPlanetarian, 07 October 2014 - 02:33 AM.

#30 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:41 AM

To me, the explosion damage is more of a pain than the charge mechanic.

I like using the Gauss on my Shadow Hawk (combined with SRMs), but I need to run an XL for the build I want. I tried going to STD engine so I could survive a Gauss explosion, but it sacrifices too much.

I guess that's the whole point. Still, I just risk it with the XL. It is more of a sniper than a brawler anyway.

#31 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:44 AM

Gauss explosion is supposed to come from the magnetic coils being constantly charged and ready to fire. Having to charge them up should not make the weapon volatile if it's not hit as it's charging.

I don't find the charge that hard to work with. It's just more of a nusience when coupled with all the other downsides of using a gauss rifle. Especially if you can't use two of them.

#32 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:45 AM

A very easy to use Autohotkey Gauss macro for 200+ ping users. Just set the Gauss to weapon group 6.

#InstallMouseHook
#InstallKeyBDHook

#IfWinActive MechWarrior Online

SendMode, Event
SetKeyDelay, 0, 50

; binds right click to 6 wep group IE set this to gauss
Rbutton::
send,{6 Down}
sleep,950
send,{6 Up}
return

Edited by El Bandito, 07 October 2014 - 02:46 AM.

#33 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:48 AM

well its just a matter of taste and game play, some like it some dont. i prefer using reliable ballistics than a fragile, loosing charge gauss but that is due to fact i dont play as a sniper, the gauss is really made to be far away to hit a unsuspecting target.

#34 Aaren Kai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:54 AM

Wait wait wait...

So a full thread of people saying how easy it is to thwart the PPC & Guass synch mechanic... Then why even have it?

#35 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:57 AM

I honestly don't like the gauss mechanic, not because its hard to use, but because it takes away the ability to 'snap' shot with the weapon. Sometimes a target only presents itself for a very brief moment, giving you a very limited amount of time to target and fire the weapon, which is only tougher when you also have to wait for the weapon to 'charge' in order to fire it. I can use the gauss in game (and do) but it is frustrating how many times I could have gotten a shot off but missed it because the gauss was charging its batteries. Even worse is the fact that the main issue was combining it with PPC's was the real problem, which is no longer an issue with the huge drop in projectile speed PPC's got. Being the heaviest weapon system in game and the only one that explodes just wasn't enough drawbacks to the gauss I guess.

#36 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:25 AM

The charge is good, makes it a real sniping weapon, heck guass is op enough without the ability to instantly snap a shot into any movement you see.

#37 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:30 AM

Gauss is my favourite weapon. I'm a fairly mediocre player.

In the words of Karl Pilkington:

"Get on with it."

#38 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:33 AM

View Postzortesh, on 07 October 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:

Excepting they might then need to charge for 1000+ meters, and guass are the least visible projectile, and i know for me atleast they often lack for the directional damage indicator or any impact, usually i hear the guass whizzing past sound but take damage, occasionally I actually hear guass impact sound... but thats rare.

And honestly the short charge time encourages good use of guassrifles.

I'm sorry but I do believe anyone charging out 1000 meters in the open is going to die regardless especially if they are alone.

View PostTincan Nightmare, on 07 October 2014 - 02:57 AM, said:

I honestly don't like the gauss mechanic, not because its hard to use, but because it takes away the ability to 'snap' shot with the weapon. Sometimes a target only presents itself for a very brief moment, giving you a very limited amount of time to target and fire the weapon, which is only tougher when you also have to wait for the weapon to 'charge' in order to fire it. I can use the gauss in game (and do) but it is frustrating how many times I could have gotten a shot off but missed it because the gauss was charging its batteries. Even worse is the fact that the main issue was combining it with PPC's was the real problem, which is no longer an issue with the huge drop in projectile speed PPC's got. Being the heaviest weapon system in game and the only one that explodes just wasn't enough drawbacks to the gauss I guess.

Definitely not enough for those drawbacks. Gauss is somewhat okay as it is. I think that it is still an incredibly OP weapon as the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Long-range
No heat
Incredibly fast projectile speed
Low visibility
Second highest damage in the game
Front Loaded Pinpoint Damage
Ammo doesn't explode

vs

Heavy
Needs ammo
Explodes
Has charge time

You cannot do any long-range PPC snapshots either simply because it is too slow.

#39 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:49 AM

Most of the conns are irrelevant...

Guass rifle explodes, but any mech with open components is dead within seconds so you don't really die significantly faster, thou a ember might kill you faster then he would kill a non-guass mech.

Ammo doesn't explode you can pad whole mech with half tons, gun does explode, however almost any ton of ammo would do far more damage then an exploding guass rifle.

Its heavy, and takes many crit slots, only real downside, however the heavyier more critslot ac20 is inferior in almost every respect.

#40 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:49 AM

Well I just decommissioned my dual Gauss Jager

When I first started in June I bought one and found the charge mechanic to complicated and took it off after a few matches
this tournament I was getting very low damage so I remounted the single gauss but you have such little time to get in your licks I bought a 2nd Gauss cannon

I took it out to the training ground and it took 4 shots to take down a Jenner then I moved to an Atlas and very carefully I shot up that mech. it went side torso front the back (so what they did was spread the damage when using the Gauss cannon)

Bottom line ---the rate of fire is effectively too slow to use the weapon on all maps, if the Mech is already damaged then you will kill them but PGI is careful not to allow this cannon to be over powered

I got 4 kills one match but the slow rate of fire kept my damage numbers low

I switched to my standard Jager load out and took down 2 DW the very first match (got lucky they were focused on someone else)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users