Metagame Advanced

71 replies to this topic

#21 Estonniel

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 70 posts
  • LocationAtlantis

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:44 AM

Its a common factor that during a competitive game type players often drop the settings to its lowest for highest performance. but getting advantages over someone who is having max settings on, because he likes the feel of immersion and a bit of realism in there while playing. is kind of lame and unfair by a long shot.

ive seen different AA settings under DX9 vs DX11 also give away something interesting.

DX9 None / PostAA: Thermal vision heat / smoke is bright white none transparent and Mechs dont seem to light up a lot in the dark surroundings (bit gray/to dark to ID them from the terrain still)

DX11 MSAA: Thermal vision makes all smoke seem transparent to see thru it but not removing its outlines (seems awesome and useful if having graphic settings on high or max not able to see thru it normally) but like PostAA Mechs seem to dark and blurry vs the background.

i like this one as a solution vs just having Low/Med/High/MAX having smoke or no smoke at all as well as some objects.
in my opinion all vision obscuring items should always be present on any setting no matter what, it just should look better under higher settings. not give a low end user a massive advantage over the other due to invisible walls to look behind.

#22 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:57 AM

Hey,
it's been a while since i checked graphic settings, since I try to get everything as high as possible.
Now using a GTX 770 2GB OC at 50-70fps and even tried 3-monitor setup with 30-40fps.

How do you see Alcatraz on RC?
I noticed (back then) that the user config with extra high details gave me way better building LOD than just putting everything higher ingame.
Please see these screens for what I mean:

View PostReno Blade, on 30 April 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

Here are before/after screenshots with the new filmgrain commands on/off (deleted shader folder each time) and the 3rd one with my full user.cfg.
All screenshots with DX11.

I think the 2nd is with film grain (greenish)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:25 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 09 October 2014 - 02:57 AM, said:

Hey,
it's been a while since i checked graphic settings, since I try to get everything as high as possible.
Now using a GTX 770 2GB OC at 50-70fps and even tried 3-monitor setup with 30-40fps.

How do you see Alcatraz on RC?
I noticed (back then) that the user config with extra high details gave me way better building LOD than just putting everything higher ingame.
Please see these screens for what I mean:

I'm running a gtx770m on my laptop and gtx780 on my desktop though I don't really use dx11 (because of bad experiences with it)the lower building LOD the better you can see other mechs. Personally I don't think it matters a lot on river city though. There are maybe 2 spots from across the river where you can see people through a building.

#24 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:39 AM

View PostEstonniel, on 09 October 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

in my opinion all vision obscuring items should always be present on any setting no matter what, it just should look better under higher settings. not give a low end user a massive advantage over the other due to invisible walls to look behind.

On this I can agree.

View PostEstonniel, on 09 October 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

Its a common factor that during a competitive game type players often drop the settings to its lowest for highest performance. but getting advantages over someone who is having max settings on, because he likes the feel of immersion and a bit of realism in there while playing. is kind of lame and unfair by a long shot.

It's neither lame, nor unfair.

There are people who have been playing with the same settings all the time, either because they have a very high-end rig and consider nothing else or because they are limited by their rig's performance capabilities. The guide itself is also supposed to be an "eye-opener" so people can see "oh, this is how it is on low settings" - vice versa.

The kind of "unfairness" you mentioned is the same unfairness when people chose to pick a Flamer over a Medium Laser and an Awesome over a Victor. In mwo, when people are talking about Meta, in most cases they refer to a Mech-build, Mech-Choise or using certain Weapon Systems. In fact, the term "Metagaming" also included things such as best-practise tactics (e.g. Rotations), Macroing (e.g. UAC5 dakka macro), psychological dominance (e.g. ggclose), ingame settings (e.g. Graphic settings, Armlock Settings), hardware settings (e.g. fastest Keybinds). As long as it does not violate any of the given rules, in this case PGI's code of conduct .

#25 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:52 AM

View PostEglar, on 09 October 2014 - 02:13 AM, said:

yes for both ingame immersion and better view of terrain. I often switch though, it helps you with estimating the "invisible wall"s size so you know when to shoot.

It's in my opinion rather a glitch than dependant on a certain graphic setting. What you described has never occurred to me before. Graphic glitches are too unpredictable to rely on as a performance-enhancing method. But it's funny that to me Crimson Straights seems to cause more trouble than any other map. Maybe PGI should look into this.
Posted Image

damn graffiti punks

#26 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:20 AM

how to make science out of a game /o\

crimson strait tunnel is also know for invisible mech attacks :ph34r: not only the tunnel itself can disappear, the mechs too...

#27 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:32 AM

@Eglar, nice work!

View PostInspectorG, on 08 October 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

I have to run everything on low with my graphics card. ...

Nearly the same situ, simply all low... .But, since the Factory map, I wish I had a graphics card... (12 FPS :( )

Funny: I discovered first, that there is smoke in Caustic Top, just after 10 month of MWO gameplay... because I saw accidentally it, in some MWO fan-video on YT...

Edited by Sky Hawk, 09 October 2014 - 04:33 AM.

#28 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:10 AM

Posted Image

Oh man! Did I miss Saturday Disco AGAIN??! :(

#29 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:39 AM

I think smoke should never disappear completely.
Standing in the smoke is like standing in trees. it should give you cover no matter what the other people use for rigs or settings.

You can use night vision to look through smoke, but it should not be better to set effects/particles to low and completely negate part of the environment.

It's an exploit and just because it's possible with basic settings doesn't make it OK.
I'm not happy with the possibility.
I'm not judging anyone doing so as cheaters, but I don't see people that do this as equal or better players, just because they have one less thing to care about in battle&tactics.

#30 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 09 October 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

I think smoke should never disappear completely.
Standing in the smoke is like standing in trees. it should give you cover no matter what the other people use for rigs or settings.

You can use night vision to look through smoke, but it should not be better to set effects/particles to low and completely negate part of the environment.

It's an exploit and just because it's possible with basic settings doesn't make it OK.
I'm not happy with the possibility.
I'm not judging anyone doing so as cheaters, but I don't see people that do this as equal or better players, just because they have one less thing to care about in battle&tactics.

While I agree with your first sentence, I often try to get a destroyed mechs or Smoke Geysirs between me and my opponent.Especially on maps such as Caustic Valley, where there is very few cover, this gives you a good opportunity to assassinate people.

#31 cry-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 824 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:33 AM

My Particle Setting is on "Low", but I can still see the smoke on Caustic :huh:

#32 Revengex

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:43 AM

Graphical exploits are just that exploits. These guys are trying to encourage the practice. Where are you PGI. Police this crap. Ban them. Everyone of these "shoot through the ground is ok" guys.

#33 Revengex

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

Elgar,

Setting the game so you can see through things is cheating period. Don't you understand that? Its not some Xray module you are using. Its people like you that are destroying the game. No wonder PGI is having trouble keeping players with sneaky little "people" like you.

Hang yer head in shame.

#34 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:56 AM

View PostRevengex, on 09 October 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

Elgar,

Setting the game so you can see through things is cheating period. Don't you understand that? Its not some Xray module you are using. Its people like you that are destroying the game. No wonder PGI is having trouble keeping players with sneaky little "people" like you.

Hang yer head in shame.

And to the people who set all their settings to 'Low" because they have to in order to achieve decent FPS? Are they cheating too (unknowingly)? They receive the same 'cheating" advantages as someone who is deliberately trying to cheat by lowering their settings.

**edit

This is not meant to attack the quoted post, just playing devil's advocate.

Edited by xeromynd, 09 October 2014 - 09:00 AM.

#35 LennStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:28 AM

Posted Image

Wow, I have never seen that before.
I do have always an "blinking" of the cave in the forest maps, shortly after entering.
And I did have (dis)appearing mechs in the tunnel in crimson once or twice.

I have to play on low bc heat vision in the foggy ice city is half the fps (sluggish ~20) of the fastest map (somewhere in the 40s).
The invisible obstacles are a real nuisance when PPCing, esp in canyon. Caustic you learn after while, only... 3? but canyon has more, and it also depends on your view angle if there is invisible cover or not at one place.

I think most settings have both advantage and disadvantage. Esp. in River City you can see a mech beyond the first row of buildings - but you could see it through the single buildings anyway when it moves. But if you shoot at the mech you are seeing from a distance, you nearly never hit, but giving your position. Its a trade off, more or less at 0 and anyway isnt in any way decisive in 99% of games. In 3/4 of games you even have no chance to use it.

#36 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

Low Settings is cheating?.. lol

Everyone can use freely, any time the Low Settings, there is no rules against it... How could be that cheating?

And next will be, higher resolution is cheating, because you can clearly see the enemy, or what?.. lol

(Beside, I can play only, with the lowest resolution.. so I am not really sure, how many you can see on higher res...)

Edited by Sky Hawk, 09 October 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#37 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

View PostLas51, on 09 October 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

My Particle Setting is on "Low", but I can still see the smoke on Caustic :huh:

:o did you change the settings ingame? If nothing works, close your client, delete the shaders folder, restart your client and check again.

View PostRevengex, on 09 October 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

Elgar,
Hang yer head in shame.

I'm sorry that you see it that way, but in my opinion there is simply nothing to be ashamed of. If I was sneaky, I wouldn't be making this guide.

#38 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

Great post! There's a typo under Particle Settings, though - "how" instead of "low."

#39 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostRevengex, on 09 October 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

Graphical exploits are just that exploits. These guys are trying to encourage the practice. Where are you PGI. Police this crap. Ban them. Everyone of these "shoot through the ground is ok" guys.

Explaining how the graphics settings affect the game isn't cheating by any sane definition. If you disagree, you are free to use the report button, rather than embarrass yourself by loudly calling on PGI for moderation like a priest of Ba'al on mount Carmel.

#40 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

I recorded the tunnel, it, at specific distances, triggers always that partial disappearing of specific tunnel parts. I guess when mechs are in this part, they also disappear. It would need some people to test this if it affects mechs in this area

I have currently very high settings DX 11

uplaoding vid, be patient

Edited by Lily from animove, 15 October 2014 - 03:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users