71 replies to this topic

#61 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:29 PM

Thanks Eglar for taking the time to share this. While I don't think I'll be doing it myself to try to gain a competitive edge, it's interesting to know what options exist and may be in use by others.

To those who think PGI will ever get around to fixing things like this: well, I guess you haven't been around for the last two years, haven't noticed the drill rigs that don't extend through floors, the AMS that shoots through caves, the 10 story street lights on frozen city, the ongoing inaccurate geometry/skins for several Mechs which were around the first to be released, the lack of camos for most Hero Mechs, etc etc etc.

Short version: PGI never gets around to polishing anything. That may even be a good thing, given there's so much basic content they have yet to deliver from the original specifications for the game.

Edited by Appogee, 09 October 2014 - 11:34 PM.

#62 Decoy3

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:06 AM

So, I've been annoyed with the smoke on Caustic for awhile now, then though I have particles set to low. I tried deleting my shaders folder thinking that would get rid of it, but no dice.

For reference:
Posted Image

#63 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

View PostDecoy3, on 10 October 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

So, I've been annoyed with the smoke on Caustic for awhile now, then though I have particles set to low. I tried deleting my shaders folder thinking that would get rid of it, but no dice.

For reference:
Posted Image

Hello have you tried to restart your client?

#64 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostDecoy3, on 10 October 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

For me, it's Object Detail Low that gets rid of the Caustic smoke.

(and i see that as kind of a problem)

#65 Defender Rococo Rockfowl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 121 posts
  • LocationYou might be having more fun playing post-apocalyptic survival game Miscreated

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:19 PM

Just wanted to thank Elgar for the post because I run MWO on a 5 year old PC so this helps from a performance perspective.

By the way, what does the "post processing" affect? Did a search here in the forums but didn't see anything on it

#66 Revengex

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:50 PM

This just goes to show you that PGI encourages cheats, hacks, etc by letting these advantages they never intended to be in the game, stay. They should fixes these advantages to give everyone a level playing field. PGI is rumored to be giving backs accounts from the 64 closed because of this. Its too bad.

Edited by Revengex, 16 June 2015 - 09:51 PM.

#67 Gerwig

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:50 AM

Great post, important to know so that people have a better grasp of how things are happening in game. How did he know where I was? How did he snipe me from there? etc.

#68 Idealsuspect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:47 PM

View PostEglar, on 09 October 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

I'm sorry that you see it that way, but in my opinion there is simply nothing to be ashamed of. If I was sneaky, I wouldn't be making this guide use aimbots and get banned.

Posted Image Only if he was.

#69 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:31 PM

View PostRevengex, on 16 June 2015 - 09:50 PM, said:

This just goes to show you that PGI encourages cheats, hacks, etc by letting these advantages they never intended to be in the game, stay. They should fixes these advantages to give everyone a level playing field. PGI is rumored to be giving backs accounts from the 64 closed because of this. Its too bad.

It is a level playing field
everyone can take advantage
you just choose not to

I mean these guiz did their research
shouldn't they have an advantage over those who didn't?
Information warfare is alive

opps: necro reply

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 15 November 2016 - 09:31 PM.

#70 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:00 AM

Posts opener banned for cheating/exploiting anyway.

That should say everything that is there to say.

#71 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:22 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 16 November 2016 - 03:00 AM, said:

Posts opener banned for cheating/exploiting anyway.
That should say everything that is there to say.

He was banned for aimbot use. No relation to optimizing graphics.

#72 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:13 PM

Exactly.

And, no - no one should ever be penalized for running the game on high settings, or rewarded for using lowered graphical settings. So while the "guiz" who "did the research" aren't doing anything wrong, this is also not the kind of research that should be rewarded.

That being said, PGI's "letting" unintended advantages stay in the game is hardly an encouragement of real cheats and hacks, nor is it a matter of laziness on their part - if you're dealing with something as basic as how the game engine works LoD, you may well have to re-write parts of the engine code to fix it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users