141 replies to this topic

#1 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:00 PM

Ok, Ok, so you can't really sell me your mech, but maybe you can sell me on your favorite mech. I am a light pilot and I love my spiders and commandos. However, I would like to broaden my horizons a little bit and learn some new mechs in other weight classes. So, I would like to know what is your favorite mech? What builds do you run? How do you play it (brawler, sniper, fire support, etc.)

Example:

I love my spider 5d, I run it primarily as ecm support and long range fire support with 2 erllas, ecm, and 240xl engine. When I am not using it I run the Anansi as a hit & run striker with 2 mpl, srm6, and 255xl.

Thanks Mechwarriors!

#2 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:05 AM

You're a light pilot and you don't drive a Locust? Madness.

#3 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

This is a good Medium LRM boat to try. Personally I'd advise you to do Mediums. The Centurion is a good chassis. Try running trial Mechs, then tell me what general speed you want to run your next Mech at.

This thread's sole purpose is to give you ideas about Mech builds.

This thread also has some builds in it too. Most of the builds from either thread are expensive though.

I see you watching Stickjock :ph34r:

Edited by DavidHurricane, 10 October 2014 - 08:11 AM.

#4 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostTim East, on 10 October 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

You're a light pilot and you don't drive a Locust? Madness.

Working on them now :) I just really suck at them so to say I pilot them would not be true. More like crash and burn in them.

#5 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 10 October 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

Working on them now :) I just really suck at them so to say I pilot them would not be true. More like crash and burn in them.

Locusts are a challenge to master. I am still working with mine too ~Grins.

#6 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:41 AM

If you want mechs that pilot like Lights but are a bit more durable, start with the Cicada chassis. While they may not go absurdly fast, they can still survive a couple hits. They were my first mech that I piloted. They're a bit bulky on the top, but they're decent striker mechs. The 3M is still competitive, and the 2A is very much a hard-hitting laserboat.

Your next best bet for a heavier and more durable chassis is the Centurion. While it may not have jump jets, it's got a shield arm and some insane torso twist that makes it tankier than some of the other chassis in its weight group. The Yen Lo is still frightening on the battlefield, especially since most Yen Lo pilots are very skilled with that particular mech.

#7 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

Blackjack!

This thing is a true Ridge poking sniper / support brawler. You can build them fast enough to help with flanks and repositioning, and you can build it with enough weapons to put out an astonishing amount of damage.
I run all mine with an XL since, lets face it you are not designed to be face hugging anything.

And with 6 different models, you can run (as I do) 6 different weapon configurations and try everything out throughout the lineup.
They really do make for a fun mech to cause havoc in.

-ST

#8 Terror066

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 132 posts
  • LocationLyranische Allianz / Protektorat Donegal / Tharkad / Tharkad City

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

Try some Medium Mechs. Best Medium Mech is the ShadowHawk except the 5D. 2K for example with 3 SRM6 Artemis and 3 MedLas and an XL300. 2JJ´s as well and you are good to go.

Centurion is also a very "Beginner" friendly Mech in the Med Class.

#9 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

David- I loved the Kintaro trial mech, it almost felt like cheating with the lrm's haha, but your build looks even more deadly to me. Also, me @ < 80kph = instant fiery death, I can easily get more damage out of a spider than an atlas :/

Centurions are tempting as well seeing as how I will be getting a free one soon.

Vaskadar, I like the idea of cicadas and will probably get to them at some point but right now I would like to try out something a little different from my usual play style.

I guess I ought to go play the bj and shadow hawk trials for a few rounds and see how I like them too.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I am enjoying getting everyone's opinions.

#10 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 10 October 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

David- I loved the Kintaro trial mech, it almost felt like cheating with the lrm's haha, but your build looks even more deadly to me. Also, me @ < 80kph = instant fiery death, I can easily get more damage out of a spider than an atlas :/

So do you like the weapon locking with LRMs? Do you enjoy aiming with ballistics? Do you like the ease of lasers? Splash with SRMs/LB10-X ACs?

Tell me some weapons and what form factor (short/tall, high/low mounted, tucked-in/wider arms) weapons you like and I'll have a build for you by the end of the day.

#11 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:14 PM

its the pilot

you like lights, then chose the fastest mediums, I loved the cicada 3m with a passion

as to the kintaro...I do very well in it too. Great medium, under rated

#12 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:01 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 10 October 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

So do you like the weapon locking with LRMs? Do you enjoy aiming with ballistics? Do you like the ease of lasers? Splash with SRMs/LB10-X ACs?

Tell me some weapons and what form factor (short/tall, high/low mounted, tucked-in/wider arms) weapons you like and I'll have a build for you by the end of the day.

Hmm... I know lasers are my go to weapon but I am looking to stretch myself a little bit. I am probably most interested in ballistics or lrm's since lights do not do either of those very well and I would like to learn them. I am probably better off in a support or flanking role as opposed to the frontline. I can't make streaks work but I have gotten to where I do like the srms on my commandos in a fast striker role. And obviously as a light pilot my natural tendency is to use cover and mobility as opposed to tanking/ torso twisting. But honestly I am pretty open to anything, I like learning new stuff :)

#13 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:18 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 10 October 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

Hmm... I know lasers are my go to weapon but I am looking to stretch myself a little bit. I am probably most interested in ballistics or lrm's since lights do not do either of those very well and I would like to learn them. I am probably better off in a support or flanking role as opposed to the frontline. I can't make streaks work but I have gotten to where I do like the srms on my commandos in a fast striker role. And obviously as a light pilot my natural tendency is to use cover and mobility as opposed to tanking/ torso twisting. But honestly I am pretty open to anything, I like learning new stuff :)

Alright, here is one. Gives you a little bit of everything. has a nice small form factor, goes at about 81, offers you some decent firepower with the UAC/5.

Swapped to a different chassis and this build is even better. An AC/5, 2 Medium Lasers, 1 Medium Pulse Laser, 1 SRM 4, and 1 LRM 10 give you a lot of nice variety.

But this build is the king of them all. Two Medium Lasers, One AC/5, and Three SRM 4s with maxed armor and 89.1 KpH allow you to run around and shoot up enemies. The CN9-A has a lovely form factor and is also very agile, so you have a nice chassis here. You can also swap some SRMs for LRMs if you want to go a little outside brawling.

I also like your attitude. Being willing to try any chassis is a good way to succeed.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 10 October 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#14 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:15 PM

ok ok heres mine in a kintaro 18 runing 5 srm6 7.5tons ammo 2medlasers endo dhs 300xl
this mech can cripple heavy's and meds and beat the snot out of assaults and it can 1 shot lights now you do need to trim your armor a little but not that much you can get away with some head and leg trimming but if thats to light for u drop 1 ton of ammo and add that to the legs this mech is to be feared under 270 meters after that not so much but with some careful movements and the the rare kamikaze charge even on alpine this thing will put out damage 250/350 damage is a badish game for me with this build this thing is scary at times also a little rare build to see the big thing you have to keep in mind is that you can not go toe to toe with the bigger mechs if you are standing in front of the awesome you are doing it wrong you need to keep moving shoot scoot peek a boo are good tactics with this thing drive bys are all so an option and fun but watch out after people figure out you are doing more damage then the heavy's and assaults in a blast they will star to focus fire then u need your team to get the looking there way before you can reengage

#15 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:28 PM

I think I will take one of each! I need an in game credit card.

The little voice in my head that says things like "buy some locusts; make your spider 5k an urban mech" really likes the vindicator. But I am really leaning centurion since I will already have one chassis so fewer to have to buy to master. (And looks like xl270 would make a viable build which would give me an excuse to get it for my anansi :) )

#16 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:32 PM

I suggest a Quickdraw if you want a heavier striker, very effective in that area. Or there is always the ever awesome Cataphract 3D. The Cataphract line can give you some room to play around. Strikers, snipers, brawlers, you can do it all.

#17 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

Kosmos- Nice that is generally the idea behind my anansi build only like 46 less damage per alpha than your Kintaro

#18 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:45 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 10 October 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

But this build is the king of them all. Two Medium Lasers, One AC/5, and Three SRM 4s with maxed armor and 89.1 KpH allow you to run around and shoot up enemies. The CN9-A has a lovely form factor and is also very agile, so you have a nice chassis here. You can also swap some SRMs for LRMs if you want to go a little outside brawling.

Why are you running CASE on your side torsos with an XL engine? CASE just limits ammo explosions from moving to other mech sections. It doesn't prevent the ammo explosion from destroying everything in that section. Since you've got an XL, if your ammo goes up, you die. Drop the CASE and use the extra ton for more ammo or an extra heat sink.

#19 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:24 AM

View PostZnSeventeen, on 10 October 2014 - 06:32 PM, said:

I suggest a Quickdraw if you want a heavier striker, very effective in that area. Or there is always the ever awesome Cataphract 3D. The Cataphract line can give you some room to play around. Strikers, snipers, brawlers, you can do it all.

How well does the QuickDraw trial work? Is it an accurate representation of the mech or is it an inferior build? I know sometimes the trial mechs aren't the greatest representation of the chassis.

#20 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:28 AM

For a Quickdraw, I think this build may suit your needs.

An alternative with an XL and max armor offers you a better (but more expensive) choice.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 11 October 2014 - 06:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users