! ~ Rear View Mirror ~ !

81 replies to this topic

Poll: Rear view. (206 member(s) have cast votes)

Whould you want rear view mirror / screen?

1. YES. (157 votes [76.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.21%

2. NO. (26 votes [12.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.62%

3. Indifferent. (13 votes [6.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.31%

4. I got a better idea (Explain) (10 votes [4.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:00 PM

I firmly believe we need rear view mirrors. I am not asking for rear firing lasers, or reticule, or radar, or anything other than a simple little rectangle window/screen that views to the rear.

That way you can see what’s really behind you, like terrain, team-mates piling up behind you, that ledge your about to fall off of, or what the heck I’m stuck on, and why can’t I move backwards when I just came from that approximate location etc. Some say “Use the mini-map… but that just doesn’t give the detail of what’s actually blocking you, or give any clear indicators of where to go when backing up, so the mini-map just isn’t a viable answer.

It just doesn’t make sense why we don’t have it, they are 31st century technology, you’ll never convince me a future mechanized fighting vehicle doesn’t have them.

My HUMVEE in the Army had rear view mirrors.

My 1972 Harley Shovel Head has rear view mirrors.

My 1982 Toyota 4x4 has rear view mirrors.

My daughters bicycle has clip on rear view mirrors.

.. but my 3050 Catapult doesn’t ???

Please PGI .. Give us rear view mirrors (mini-screen)

EDIT FOR PIC 2-9-2016

- possible alternative to a "mirror", since it' would eat resources: Enter the mini-zoomed radar?

So, instead of a rear view mirror, a close proximity radar that shows where player are in relation to your mech. Zoomed in so you can tell where to move without mashing into those behind you - a possible solution.

Notice the extra proximity radar next to the ranged radar.

Posted Image

http://home.wavecabl...brth/mirror.jpg

Edited by Freebrth, 12 February 2016 - 08:23 AM.

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:08 PM

None of those things you list runs on the CryEngine game engine, which has performance problems when doing multiple independent views at the same time. The game performs like crap now ... imagine adding the rendering load of another view on top of the front view.

I could see them possibly implementing a button you hold down to switch the main view from front to rear.

#3 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:04 PM

I only listed rear view mirror as a "Want"... that was it. (pretty sure they're not putting Harleys, Toyotas or kids bikes in the game).

- A key/button to momentarily "look back" or switch to rear view would be fine. I'm just tired of not being able to check my six and see whats stopping my movement, or who/what's back there. It could flip up like the main map on a key hold down for all I care, that'd be fine...

#4 Flu-Epidemic

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:18 PM

Interesting notion, but ever since the very first MW, not being able to see what is harrassing you tends to make one a better pilot.I understand the concept that since the technology is advance, why can't we see the rear thru a camera feed? The idea of hitting a button down to look what's behind you is interesting, but that to me can be acheived through the 3PV (urrgggghhh...). Just my thoughts on this.

#5 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:34 AM

I'd much rather have a 360 radar.

#6 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:39 AM

View PostFreebrth, on 14 October 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

I firmly believe we need rear view mirrors. I am not asking for rear firing lasers, or reticule, or radar, or anything other than a simple little rectangle window/screen that views to the rear.

That way you can see what’s really behind you, like terrain, team-mates piling up behind you, that ledge your about to fall off of, or what the heck I’m stuck on, and why can’t I move backwards when I just came from that approximate location etc. Some say “Use the mini-map… but that just doesn’t give the detail of what’s actually blocking you, or give any clear indicators of where to go when backing up, so the mini-map just isn’t a viable answer.

It just doesn’t make sense why we don’t have it, they are 31st century technology, you’ll never convince me a future mechanized fighting vehicle doesn’t have them.

My HUMVEE in the Army had rear view mirrors.

My 1972 Harley Shovel Head has rear view mirrors.

My 1982 Toyota 4x4 has rear view mirrors.

My daughters bicycle has clip on rear view mirrors.

.. but my 3050 Catapult doesn’t ???

In MW4: Mercs we had toggleable, rear facing camera along with another camera that looked down. Both were invaluable for reversing or jump jetting.

Can we have these please, PGI?

#7 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:03 AM

Greetings all,

The problem with any other directional view is the CryEngine and not 'just making the second view'.

CryEngine can only display a single view at any one time, as we see with the zoom view.
- Just the same view direction rendered on top of the original in a small window.

CryEngine is limited in this application, but that doesn't mean that we can't have different views.
- We may be able to completely change the look direction to another angle, basically, fully engaging this 'other view'.
(remember only one view allowed.)
- But, there are many aspects that need to be changed for anything like this to even start, additional designs for how the Pilots actually look around, new code to go with the reintroduction of knockdown and possibly the feature DFA (jump, 'death from above')

Again, it's the game engine not PGI stopping this.

9erRed

#8 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:31 PM

It's not that Cryengine can't do multiple views, but the resource requirements to do so double as a result. Many players have a hard enough problems with Cryengine in just one view. If there were multiple views, they wouldn't be able to play the game.

#9 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:15 PM

you know mechs game from 80s had that feature

#10 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:52 AM

Seems like big hassle for small reward. But if they do it sure, it'll be nice.

#11 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:17 AM

Lore-wise, the mechs actually had a 360 degree view compressed into a 180 degree strip directly above the main view screen / window. It's mentioned in numerous novels. As much as I would LOVE to have that feature, a screen toggle would be sufficient. That said, another few months without a new map, and I could probably run most of them blindfolded.

#12 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:37 AM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 15 October 2014 - 11:15 PM, said:

you know mechs game from 80s had that feature

And how many of them were using Cryengine?

#13 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:17 AM

Why do you need rear vie mirrors on a Catapult of all mechs in the game? I mean seriously, the torso can twist so far that you can have a rear view Cockpit on that thing. Same with the Hunchbacks... they can fire to the rear while moving forwards.

On the other hand.. a reverse beeper for some mechs could be usefull (Awsome, Atlas and Direwhale for a start).

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:51 AM

View PostFreebrth, on 14 October 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

Requested many times. It's not possible due to Cryengine limitations.

If this game was made with the unreal engine, it'd be incredibly easy. It's a shame they chose not to go with it.

On a side note, nothing says they couldn't make a 'rearview' screen.

Personally I'd kill for a crotch-cam (or leg cam) so I can see what's going on when I can't move.

#15 Lazor Sharp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:54 PM

a rear view screen toggle is not using 2 views at the same time, so should be easy to implement in cryengine, and has been a sorely needed feature since day 1. plz implement this feature ASAP......!!!!!!!!!

#16 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:37 PM

View PostJTSR, on 16 October 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

its called torso twist to check your six ...<Snip>... :D

While I agree with this on one hand, the real issue is that I am often shooting and backing up, and I end up lodged in rock, or backing up in to a fellow mech that was initially following me, and a key-press to flip to rear view for a split second would be MUCH better than turning my back to an asserive enemy (or team thereof). So, it's not just about "backing up", it's about tactical retreat more than not. If I am simply "Backing up" to change direction, I'll just turn around and then walk forward.

;)

#17 Uthael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:42 AM

What about increasing FoV by another 180° to the right, trimming it back to 100° for front view and placing the small rear-view box of the cropped area somewhere on the screen? The graphic card would still need to work more for the wider view, but less than rendering a whole another cockpit view. Doesn't Zoom Module do a similar thing, only capturing like 20° of the front view?

Or make arms work in 3rd person at least -.-

Edited by Uthael, 19 January 2015 - 07:48 AM.

#18 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:54 AM

I would love to have one so I can see what is behind me such as an enemy mech.

#19 Shivaxi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

The previous mechwarrior games did allow you to look behind you in a sort of rear view camera. Rear mounted lasers like the Centurion and Atlas are supposed to have would be awesome too. I mean it's the 31st century and we don't have rear view mirrors? come on xD

View PostKoniving, on 16 October 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

Requested many times. It's not possible due to Cryengine limitations.

I'm sorry but that's crap. It's definitely possible. Might kill performance though. I'm still upset they took out the positional rotating mech feet to match terrain slopes cause of killing CPU performance...ugh I hate this engine man.

Edited by Shivaxi, 19 January 2015 - 11:31 AM.

#20 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:46 PM

View Post9erRed, on 15 October 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:

Greetings all,

The problem with any other directional view is the CryEngine and not 'just making the second view'.

CryEngine can only display a single view at any one time, as we see with the zoom view.
- Just the same view direction rendered on top of the original in a small window.

CryEngine is limited in this application, but that doesn't mean that we can't have different views.
- We may be able to completely change the look direction to another angle, basically, fully engaging this 'other view'.
(remember only one view allowed.)
- But, there are many aspects that need to be changed for anything like this to even start, additional designs for how the Pilots actually look around, new code to go with the reintroduction of knockdown and possibly the feature DFA (jump, 'death from above')

Again, it's the game engine not PGI stopping this.

9erRed

This. CryEngine sees any player view as an 'aiming view'. If you look in a direction, all your weapons will fire in that direction, regardless of which way the physical weapon hardpoints are pointed. If you have an archived older build of MWLL, you can use the rear-view, and all weapons fire to the rear when in that view; that is why it was removed from the game after...I think it was 0.2.1, but I cannot recall the exact version.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users