! ~ Rear View Mirror ~ !

81 replies to this topic

Poll: Rear view. (206 member(s) have cast votes)

Whould you want rear view mirror / screen?

1. YES. (157 votes [76.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.21%

2. NO. (26 votes [12.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.62%

3. Indifferent. (13 votes [6.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.31%

4. I got a better idea (Explain) (10 votes [4.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:38 PM

Greetings all,

There are currently 'Mech's that have the capability to 'rotate' there arms to acquire a rear facing target.

- As stated earlier, the Engine is the limiting factor here.
- But, with the change to 64bit, we may see some advancement in this 'option'.

This would require a change to how the Pilot selects this single view to the rear, again, 'single view only' not both at once.
- And require all the 'Mech and LOS code to be altered to allow for this feature.
- That's a new animation for some 'Mech's in rotating there arms or the return of those rear facing weapons.

Currently the 'Mech LOS and weapons arc is very narrow and normally only forward arc, dependent on the turning and rotation quirks of each 'Mech. Additional calculations would now need to be modeled and sent both ways from client to server.
- As we approach closer to new features, knockdown, collision, and some requirement for 'better situational awareness' this 'new view' may increase in it's cost as a requirement.
- Again, only as a single view at one time. If I select 'rear view' that's the one I get as the full view direction.
- If I select 'down view', required for some aspects of DFA and semi-steering during the descent to attack, that's the ONLY view I have for that time.
- For the CryEngine, it's only one view presented as the main view, and no requirement to process multi-views at once.
(the engine is fully capable of rendering this feature, we see it in the advanced 'spectator' mode in all the posted videos.)

For those that are not capable or can't use the 64bit version of the game, perhaps PGI could reduce the requirements of these additional view options? Eliminate some normal features of this view, only black and white, low textures?

Just some ideas to this old request, but with new Engine capabilities we may see some work being done in this area.
Aim True and Run Cool,
9erRed

#22 Taemien

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:45 PM

CryEngine is easily capable of a rear view mirror type thing. The issue is not the engine handling it. But your computer handling it. Try this:

Make a new MWO account. Login to the first one. Tab out and launch the second account (may take a 2nd install of the game). Run them both windowed and side by side. Pick a resolution that fits.

Run both in the training ground and note the low FPS. Or note the fact that your harddrive is probably running like mad because of virtual memory being used.

Thats what you would get if we tried to do a rear view mirror type thing.

What is probably likely to happen is a rear camera view that switches the view. As far as weapons firing into those arcs. That was an issue with how MWLL handled weapons. That could have easily been fixed by disabling the weapons when the camera is being used.

The added benefit of that CryEngine limitation is that same key that disables front firing weapons could enable rear firing weapons if they choose to add them, as well as arm mounted weapons on certain mechs (those lacking certain actuators or quirked to do so).

So there is a silver lining to this.

#23 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:58 PM

I'd love to see Free Look added to the 3PV drone so you could actually rotate around and move it forward and back.

Silly and OP? Make it so the drone can be shot down (similar to a UAV) and that pilot loses 3PV completely for the rest of the match.

#24 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:16 AM

View PostAethon, on 19 January 2015 - 01:46 PM, said:

This. CryEngine sees any player view as an 'aiming view'. If you look in a direction, all your weapons will fire in that direction, regardless of which way the physical weapon hardpoints are pointed. If you have an archived older build of MWLL, you can use the rear-view, and all weapons fire to the rear when in that view; that is why it was removed from the game after...I think it was 0.2.1, but I cannot recall the exact version.

so the rear view mirror is basically lostech due to engine limitations.

#25 LordChu001

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNorth Jersey, USA

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:41 AM

I prefer a better hit direction indicator. A rear view, although handy, takes up lots of real estate. The hit direction indicator should be adjustable to increase intensity based on range.

#26 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:26 AM

the Rearview would be helpful so you can see whom is behind you when you are getting sandpapered or plinked to death.

#27 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:23 AM

"In MW4: Mercs we had toggleable, rear facing camera along with another camera that looked down. Both were invaluable"

Yeah ! Lets Have It

#28 A Large Infant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:12 PM

Torso twist 90+ degrees.

Freelook in cockpit 90 degrees.

You are now looking behind you.

#29 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:48 PM

@Meeso Thorny
it was only one button and you didn't have to go through something that stupid just to see behind you.
Battlemechs should have always have that option as they have to see behind them for whatever they are doing so they don't bump into a wall or if they are loading/unloading items or having to flee enemy mechs.

as seen in Ghost of Winter where the main character was fleeing from his attackers and had to check to see if they was behind him.

so it is part of the mech and should be integrated part of the game as part of the mech without the need of drones or having to do some massive turning this way or that.

just one normal button push to see whom is behind you.

#30 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

Due to engine limitatikns, the most viable option is a "rear view" toggle, so you can look out the back of the cockpit ( possibly with HUD ).

This would also allow implementation of rear firing weapons.

#31 Tuku

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:37 AM

I would like a hotkey to turn on a small pip rear view camera that say covers my paper doll or even my minimap . It would be a wonderful thing.

#32 Marshal Jim Duncan

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:48 AM

Since the idea of rear-facing seems to be a game platform issue, why not make different bumping sounds when you hit something that is behind you? It is difficult to freelook in the cockpit when 3 lrm boats are destroying your view and you can't understand why you suddenly can't backup to avoid the missiles.

#33 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:06 AM

View PostFreebrth, on 14 October 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

I firmly believe we need rear view mirrors. I am not asking for rear firing lasers, or reticule, or radar, or anything other than a simple little rectangle window/screen that views to the rear.

That way you can see what’s really behind you, like terrain, team-mates piling up behind you, that ledge your about to fall off of, or what the heck I’m stuck on, and why can’t I move backwards when I just came from that approximate location etc. Some say “Use the mini-map… but that just doesn’t give the detail of what’s actually blocking you, or give any clear indicators of where to go when backing up, so the mini-map just isn’t a viable answer.

It just doesn’t make sense why we don’t have it, they are 31st century technology, you’ll never convince me a future mechanized fighting vehicle doesn’t have them.

My HUMVEE in the Army had rear view mirrors.

My 1972 Harley Shovel Head has rear view mirrors.

My 1982 Toyota 4x4 has rear view mirrors.

My daughters bicycle has clip on rear view mirrors.

.. but my 3050 Catapult doesn’t ???

Please PGI .. Give us rear view mirrors (mini-screen)

work around is torso twist then hit CTRL to look at the window... I'm assuming you are piloting a mech that has a wrap around cockpit

#34 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:57 AM

@Mycrus
so you want to prevent this option from going into effect and force players to go though all of that when we shouldn't have to?
go into detail why you don't like this idea please as it seems you are dead set against it for some reason.

#35 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:21 AM

I've been clamoring for this for months.

#36 Uthael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:53 PM

How about this:
By the lore, every pilot's neurohelmet enables a 360°view. You can make it seem like your neurohelmet display overrides the cockpit inside and shows what sensors see on the outside.

Read:
Just make the cockpit rear fade into transparent and enable 360° pilot rotation with CTRL. No second-screen CryEngine problems.

#37 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:10 AM

Lostech.

The mirrors themselves are not Lostech, apparently the adhesive holding the rear-view mirror to the windshield is.

#38 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

View PostMechWarrior4184181, on 26 February 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

Torso twist 90+ degrees.

Freelook in cockpit 90 degrees.

You are now looking behind you.

I do that all the time, it helps me a bit.....but a rearview mirror would be quicker.

Be careful when running through the city!, a quick scrape could rip that mirror right off! ;)

#39 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:41 AM

View PostFarix, on 15 October 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

It's not that Cryengine can't do multiple views, but the resource requirements to do so double as a result. Many players have a hard enough problems with Cryengine in just one view. If there were multiple views, they wouldn't be able to play the game.

You could make it an option for lower end systems to turn off. It defiantly is doable.

My only issue with it, is it should only work when reverse is active.

#40 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:51 AM

A possibly viable alternative might be a close proximity radar that shows who is where in close relation to your mech. This would help with backing up, and fire lanes (to avoid friendly fire).

Notice my addition next to the ranged radar - the close proximity radar Posted Image
(P.S.: Added to the front post as well).

Posted Image

Edited by Freebrth, 09 February 2016 - 08:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users