Performance Self Assessment?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Huginmunin

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

Do folks have any good rules of thumb for how they're doing? The game hides ELO, and Win/Loss records seem so reliant on how the rest of the team does.

Me:

1. I drop solo almost always except when challenges require group drops (waves to the lovely people kind enough to drop with me.)

2. I run around in a light almost always (I'll switch out to other weight classes for a change of pace, but I have more drops in my Jenner than just about everything else by a factor of ten).

3. My W/L ratio in my Jenner (the only stats I really care about) is positive, but just barely. My K/D ratio is about 1.5 I never use any consumables.

4. During that tournament I think I got into the 200's in IS Light Mechs, but I could only participate 2 days.

Broadly speaking I feel like my contribution to my team is a net positive, (if just barely), but how much of that is confirmation bias?

I just wish there was some way to,

A. Get a sense of where one stood in ones class overall, and
B. Get a consistent performance baseline stat or graph or something to work against to improve.

#2 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

There isn't really a good metric for this. Personally speaking, I look at my W/L and K/D. So long as both are climbing, I figure that I'm doing okay. When tourney's roll around, I compete and try to place in the top fifty. If I can do that, then I figure that vindicated as a pilot.

#3 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

The challenges are good ways to measure against other pilots. This weekend chassis specific challenge should be an excellent in this regards.

As for a normal game day, I base my performance on if I made any mistakes, and if so how badly.

Example: Had a win on Forest last night and the team did great. My performance was sub-par because I allowed an enemy CI player in his Kintaro sucker me into following him to the enemy blob.

Had another game last night were my team died horriably, but my performance was great. Spotted the flanking lance for my team and popped a UAV. Put up good damage numbers and defended a friendly Atlas from a backstabbing Jenner. Unfortunately, my team did not respond to the flank and was crushed by em. I did my part, my team... not so much.

#4 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:20 AM

Don't know where I stand. I'd like to think I'm in the middle somewhere.

Granted, I don't base my opinion of my own skill on w/l, k/d, cbills earned, GXP earned or any of that crap. That's all easily adjustable by PGI based on whatever "nerf of the moment" is in effect.

I prefer to gauge it based on specific things I am able to do without second thought that so very, very many people in the Solo Queue (aka: The Training Grounds) seem to struggle with. Things such as:

- Building a 'mech that can be effective at all ranges, even if one is favored over the others....all without overheating immediately or running out of ammo, thus rendering me completely useless.

- Unzooming to move without having to look at my hands or try to remember which key it is.

- Moving and shooting at the same time. You'd be surprised just how many people in the solo queue cannot shoot ANYTHING (including LRMs) without planting themselves in one spot and fixating on that red triangle.

- Shooting without zooming in. Again, you'd be surprised just exactly how many people in the solo queue cannot shoot ANYTHING (including LRMs) without zooming in to their maximum zoom. It's almost as if they believe the weapons don't do damage unless you actually see it hit.

- Following the herd. Yep, that's what it's called in the solo queue. It's not "tactical formation" or "movement to contact" or any crap like that....it's "put all the blue triangles in the same spot and move in the same direction." Again, you'd be surprised at how many people in the solo queue think they're the greatest CoD sniper, ever, and can one-shot the entire enemy team with two ERLLs.....because "they can't see me, I have the magic ECM bubble."

- Lock targets. Not only does my locking targets pretty much ensure that I'm going to have 120 LRMs coming my way in a moment (as soon as my team realizes there's another target they haven't gotten an assist on yet), it tells me where I should be trying to hit the other guy. And since I use CLRMs, I don't have to worry about minimum range.

- Negotiate terrain. I know I'm not the best, but I'd like to think I'm reasonably adept at maneuvering around the few maps I've memorized. You'd be surprised at how many can't. Probably because they haven't mastered that whole "unzoom so I don't trip on everything" thing yet.

#5 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

W/L, KDR and Damage scores are good for looking at overall trends.

However on a match to match basis, after a while you just start to get a feeling on your performance.

There are some matches where you win, where you didn't do anything particularly wrong, but you know something just didn't click and you could have done more.

Then there are matches where you sacrifice dealing damage to hold off a flank (and probably die doing so) because your team is just totally oblivious to the situation. You probably performed well, but no one is going to know but you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users