Remove Alpine

11 replies to this topic

#1 SuperPignouf

• PipPipPip
  • Fanjunkare
  • Fanjunkare
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

Remove Alpine peaks. Or at least add a match filter in the search game. Or hire a proper map designer.

This map is so terrible... Spent so much games walking for miles to climb a mountain and wait on top of it a brawling phase that never comes because everyone dies to long range weapons.

Don't want to drop on it ever again :'(

(Whine whine whine)

#2 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:56 PM

Hey, can we remove Caustic too, because LRMs are Super OP! Oh, and Terra Thermal (Mount Doom), because everytime I go there I forget to bring Frodo along. And we need to remove River City, because LRMs don't work there. ANNNND, remove River City Night, because it's too dark. Maybe make River City Night into River City not quite Night. We need to remove Crimson Straights because the map is just not logical. No-one has a major port in a bay that Shallow. And we need to remove Forest Colony because..... Reasons. Anyways.

No. Personally, I have had great matches on Alpine. What we NEED, is not to remove maps, but to have more game types that encourage using more of a map. Hell, we need BIGGER maps. Check out vids of Living Legends. MWO needs to take some pages from that book, hell, steal the book entirely.

Removing things from a game is a terrible design idea, and should only be done as a last resort. Alpine has some great areas in it. The problem is the game types don't encourage us to use it, and as players, we go for "this worked last time, so lets do it again". My best matches on Alpine were when we haven't played by the "normal rules".

Anyways, TL:DR. NO.

Edit: Sorry for the raging sarcasm at the start of the post. But these sorts of threads really annoy me. Removing stuff from the game is bad. Especially since some people may actually like said stuff.

What I personally think we do need, is two game modes. One called Solaris (which is what we have now) with 15 Min TDMs on tiny maps. And another called Community Warfare which gives us HUGE maps, no Time Limits, and the only way to win is through Objectives. Players can choose to queue for either game mode. Just my opinion. Flame at will.

Edited by Thunder Child, 01 November 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#3 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:04 PM

You can't remove Alpine before Terra Therma. No map is worse than Terrible Terma. No map produces such consistently bad games. If we could choose maps to play I'd every one ticked other than TT. It really can't be fixed other than remodelling it entirely (aka remove that stupid central thing).

#4 Hoffenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:06 PM

View PostThunder Child, on 01 November 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

Hey, can we remove Caustic too, because LRMs are Super OP! Oh, and Terra Thermal (Mount Doom), because everytime I go there I forget to bring Frodo along. And we need to remove River City, because LRMs don't work there. ANNNND, remove River City Night, because it's too dark. Maybe make River City Night into River City not quite Night. We need to remove Crimson Straights because the map is just not logical. No-one has a major port in a bay that Shallow. And we need to remove Forest Colony because..... Reasons. Anyways.

No. Personally, I have had great matches on Alpine. What we NEED, is not to remove maps, but to have more game types that encourage using more of a map. Hell, we need BIGGER maps. Check out vids of Living Legends. MWO needs to take some pages from that book, hell, steal the book entirely.

Removing things from a game is a terrible design idea, and should only be done as a last resort. Alpine has some great areas in it. The problem is the game types don't encourage us to use it, and as players, we go for "this worked last time, so lets do it again". My best matches on Alpine were when we haven't played by the "normal rules".

Edit: Sorry for the raging sarcasm at the start of the post. But these sorts of threads really annoy me. Removing stuff from the game is bad. Especially since some people may actually like said stuff.

What I personally think we do need, is two game modes. One called Solaris (which is what we have now) with 15 Min TDMs on tiny maps. And another called Community Warfare which gives us HUGE maps, no Time Limits, and the only way to win is through Objectives. Players can choose to queue for either game mode. Just my opinion. Flame at will.

What he said.

#5 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:08 PM

^this!

View Postwarner2, on 01 November 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

You can't remove Alpine before Terra Therma. No map is worse than Terrible Terma. No map produces such consistently bad games. If we could choose maps to play I'd every one ticked other than TT. It really can't be fixed other than remodelling it entirely (aka remove that stupid central thing).

Sure, and if i could, i would remove Caustic Valley, i always have bad games on that map.. oh wait, many others may like it..

#6 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

Once again, some peeps may actually like Mordor. I don't mind it. But what we need is a reason to use the whole map. In some of the private matches I've had on that map, it's been great fun, because we don't just Death Huddle in the middle. Admittedly these matches were somewhat RP'd, but if we had a reason to use the WHOLE map (and not just with Conquest), then maybe maps like Mordor and Sniper Hill would start to shine. For example, a scavenger hunt mode where stuff spawns in random locations on the map, and you have to grab it and run it back to your base. As an example.

#7 SuperPignouf

• PipPipPip
  • Fanjunkare
  • Fanjunkare
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:27 PM

And we need to remove Forest Colony because..... Reasons. Anyways.

Actually I find that Forest Colony is a good map for TDM (the only game mode we have more or less). On this map you can boat LRM's but still find covers, you have areas for long range fighting and you also have nice brawls.

For me you should look at the problem the other way around: we have only one game mode, TDM (don't tell me about conquest, it turns the game into Walking for Hours and Ghostcapping Simulator Online) and the thing is some maps are simply not well designed for TDM.

Maps like Alpine or Terra Therma where there is one central spot to get and to camp till the end of the match.
Maps where you are kicked in the balls just for being an LRM boat or a brawler.

Ofc deleting stuff (even bad designed, unbalanced stuff) is bad. But that doesnt change that I do not want to drop on Alpine again and would really be happy to get a map selection feature in the game search.

Edited by SuperPignouf, 01 November 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#8 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostSuperPignouf, on 01 November 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

Actually I find that Forest Colony is a good match for TDM (the only game mode we have more or less). On this map you can boat LRM's but still find covers, you have areas for long range fighting and you also have nice brawls.

For me you should look at the problem the other way around: we have only one game mode, TDM (don't tell me about conquest, it turns the game into Walking for Hours and Ghostcapping Simulator Online) and the thing is some maps are simply not well designed for TDM.

Maps like Alpine or Terra Therma where there is one central spot to get and to camp till the end of the map.
Maps where you are kicked in the balls just for being an LRM boat or a brawler.

Ofc deleting stuff (even bad designed, unbalanced stuff) is bad. But that doesnt change that I do not want to drop on Alpine again and would really be happy to get a map selection feature in the game search.

Oh, agreed. A map selection feature would be awesome, but I don't think MWO has the player base to support this. Not without having huge wait times for maps.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:51 PM

PGI said a while ago that they are planning to put in a vote system for maps.

each vote will affect the chance of getting a specific map, each map would get 1 vote by default and additional votes would be applied then 1 is chosen at random out of the available pool, (1 vote for each player + 1 vote each map, e.g. all 24 players vote for HPG it has a 25/38 chance of being the selected map, while the 13 other maps have a 1/38 chance) this will not allow you to veto certain maps but it will mean the less popular maps will show up far less often.

#10 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:18 AM

View PostSuperPignouf, on 01 November 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

Don't want to drop on it ever again :'(

(Whine whine whine)

We have a place for threads like this. It's not the feature suggestion forum.

#11 SuperPignouf

• PipPipPip
  • Fanjunkare
  • Fanjunkare
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:04 AM

View PostEgomane, on 03 November 2014 - 06:18 AM, said:

We have a place for threads like this. It's not the feature suggestion forum.

I don't want to drop there and whine about it because I truly think the map is unbalanced and I'd like to see it change.

And this is a feature suggestion.

#12 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostSuperPignouf, on 03 November 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

I'd like to see it change.

Read your thread title again then.

In the meantime - welcome to K-Town!

We have cake and tacos to eat while the butthurt fades - and pants to prevent more butthurt in the future!

Edited by Shar Wolf, 03 November 2014 - 01:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users