Mech Heads Not Where They Are Supposed To Be?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

I've had several times where I roll up to an AFK player, who is standing perfectly still, and try to shoot him in the head. Except, the head isn't in the cockpit glass anymore?

I'm sure this is true of the Awesome, pretty sure it's true of the Highlander, and not sure at all about other mechs. But I can recall trying to headshot Catapults point blank with AC/20, and not being able to despite hitting the glass as well.

I had some time to poke about, and the head on the Awesome was about nipple-high in the middle of the center torso. o.o

#2 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

Yeah that's "normal" for disconnected players.

#3 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

The head "hitboxes" don't always correlate to the shape of the cockpit windows.

The catapult, for instance, the hitbox is actually the second "windowpane" up, and it's not the entire pane of it either.

#4 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:42 AM

View PostTelmasa, on 01 November 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

The head "hitboxes" don't always correlate to the shape of the cockpit windows.

The catapult, for instance, the hitbox is actually the second "windowpane" up, and it's not the entire pane of it either.

Right, and I can understand that... but, with the awesome in question, it wasn't anywhere near the pane at all. it was a couple meters below it.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:28 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 02 November 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

Right, and I can understand that... but, with the awesome in question, it wasn't anywhere near the pane at all. it was a couple meters below it.

Could have been the difference between the server showing an active mech location and the client show a resting/powered down mech location.

#6 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:57 PM

you have to learn where the cockpit hitbox is for each mech

#7 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:39 AM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 02 November 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

the problem is, even if you aim at the window some other geometry may already block the shot making it a CT hit. depending on where your weapon is, you may not have a free line of fire to the head even if you aim at it. basically mwo is tehcnically by aiming more than a third person shooter than a first person shooter.

#8 TuntematonSika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 122 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPig with an identity crisis.

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:12 AM

This is interesting, I'll test this with someone in my unit and i'll get back to you

Edited by TuntematonSika, 03 November 2014 - 04:13 AM.

#9 Ironwithin

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:16 AM

Edit: see Bront's reply further down.

Keep in mind though: 'mechs of players who never connected (0-ping) or disconnected early OR are stuck on terrain are often not where they seem to be.
They are somewhat displaced and therefore their hitboxes seem screwed up.

Edited by Ironwithin, 03 November 2014 - 07:29 AM.

#10 DeathlyEyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • 940 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMetaphorical Island somewhere in the Pacific

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:25 AM

They need to redo the mech skins so it's obvious where the cockpit is.

#11 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:26 AM

View PostIronwithin, on 03 November 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...x-localisation/

It's missing the newer 'mechs/adjustments but still gives a lot of information and you get a general "feel" for where the cockpit-hitbox generally is on any 'mech.

Keep in mind though: 'mechs of players who never connected (0-ping) or disconnected early OR are stuck on terrain are often not where they seem to be.
They are somewhat displaced and therefore their hitboxes seem screwed up.

Or you can use the new thread...

http://mwomercs.com/...x-localization/

View PostDeathlyEyes, on 03 November 2014 - 07:25 AM, said:

They need to redo the mech skins so it's obvious where the cockpit is.

Head hitboxes are intentionally small so that head shots are rare.

Otherwise you get the poor Catapult with his oversized head hitbox (80% bigger than it should have been if I recall) dying when someone looks at the head.

#12 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:52 AM

While all the info people gave you about hitboxes, etc, is very useful and true, the main point of this is you were shooting at a DISCO mech.

DC'd mechs hitboxes are not usually where they are when active, this happens all the time.

Edited by Kodyn, 03 November 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#13 GTV Zeratul

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:16 AM

I'm not 100% sure but I think I read somewhere that disco'ed mechs had their head hitboxes "removed" so players can't get free headshots for the achivements. If this is true they seem to have been moved instead of removed.

#14 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:26 AM

View PostGTV Zeratul, on 03 November 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

I'm not 100% sure but I think I read somewhere that disco'ed mechs had their head hitboxes "removed" so players can't get free headshots for the achivements. If this is true they seem to have been moved instead of removed.

Echoing this because I also think it's true.

Afaik disconnected mechs cannot be headshot. This was to prevent people from getting easy points towards the Headshot achievement. (I think)

#15 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:32 AM

View Postxeromynd, on 03 November 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

Afaik disconnected mechs cannot be headshot. This was to prevent people from getting easy points towards the Headshot achievement. (I think)

View PostGTV Zeratul, on 03 November 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Not true - I do it all the time when I see a disco. Not just for the achievements, but also because you get a bigger Salvage reward for that 'mech if you leave the majority of its components intact.

Several of the above posters are correct though - disco'd 'Mechs have wonky hit registration, and your shots often don't get applied where it looks like they should.

Edited by DEMAX51, 03 November 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#16 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:42 AM

View Postxeromynd, on 03 November 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

Not unless this was very recent and not in any patch notes, because I actually got my first Headshot achievement off a DC mech, maybe a month ago. To be fair, I did not know it was Disco at the time, just saw a head and Gaussed it.

I think it's just that the hitboxes aren't always in right spot, but they can be, as it's a server thing, not intentional coding. Just guessing though.

#17 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:45 AM

View PostKodyn, on 03 November 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Not unless this was very recent and not in any patch notes, because I actually got my first Headshot achievement off a DC mech, maybe a month ago. To be fair, I did not know it was Disco at the time, just saw a head and Gaussed it.

I think it's just that the hitboxes aren't always in right spot, but they can be, as it's a server thing, not intentional coding. Just guessing though.

Could very well not be true, but I reeeeeeeeally think I heard somewhere that it was a feature. I have no proof to back it up unfortunately, don't remember where i heard it from. Guess I'll tweet at sir Russ.

#18 GTV Zeratul

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

View PostKodyn, on 03 November 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Well, if that timeframe of a month is accurate my post was wrong. I haven't played the last two months due to real life but before that I used to headshot DC's for salvage reasons, after the implimentation of the achevements I wasn't able to do so and at that time I read something about removing head hitboxes from DC's.
It seems we just have to find the head on a DC.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users