58 replies to this topic

#21 Tiger Shark

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:02 AM

I have also dusted off of my Hunchbacks.
The 4G is pretty good with the quirk, the AC20 is much more durable.
The 4P with 9 MPL is fun with the MPL modules and the quirk energy bonuses, especially on Frozen City.
Looking forward to trying the rapid fire 2X LRM10 4J and the brawler SRM6+ML 4SP.

#22 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:13 PM

finally played my 4SP, and my 4G.. all i must say is wow.. the 4G is really tough now.. so tough in fact that i had a few people comment in game saying.. Man that HBK just won't go down! (and yes i still had my hunch at the time) that armor buff is exactly what the doctor ordered..

Something for a true upclose and person shredder, Try using 3 SML's with a pair of machine guns and a 1/2 ton.. Your damge out put will go down a bit for totals in the ranged game,, but you will make up for it in kills/shredding, I run the 3 ML's+machine gun on one button, and my Ac-20 is the number two, only fire when you see the whites of their eyes.. (or in this game Back torso for most fun!)

it plays a bit harder, but up close it is more deadly.. a bit more niche, but wow.. what a niche!

the 4SP, i have not played enough of, But now it is even worth giving it a try with a 275XL for the daring.

#23 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

I repurchased a 4SP today and I'm neutral about it.

I don't remember much about it before, but now, I just can't get kills in this thing. One game I had today, got targets dead to rights, hammering on them with laser & srm fire...and then someone would sneak and and steal the kill. One match in particular i did just under 600 damage (570+) spread over 6 mechs and got no kills.

The sample size is low, I only played 4 matches in the thing. Went 3 wins, 1 loss, no kills, 3 deaths and 1500 damage dealt. With the 500+ damage from above that still means I was managing 300 damage in the other 3 matches, but couldn't get a single kill with the thing.

Looking back into the archived stats, looks like my average damage in the thing was about 200 damage per match, so I guess that's up a bit.

Oh, and to the poster above me, don't bother with an XL275. You can manage 5 MLs, 2 SRM6s (3t), 322/338 armour (ie 40/48 on each leg) with 13 DHS and still manage a standard 275. You can drop the 2 extra heatsinks for artemis if you want. I'm certainly considering it as it might give a more concentrated punch for killing weakened mechs.

#24 YueFei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:53 AM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 30 November 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

I repurchased a 4SP today and I'm neutral about it.

I don't remember much about it before, but now, I just can't get kills in this thing. One game I had today, got targets dead to rights, hammering on them with laser & srm fire...and then someone would sneak and and steal the kill. One match in particular i did just under 600 damage (570+) spread over 6 mechs and got no kills.

The sample size is low, I only played 4 matches in the thing. Went 3 wins, 1 loss, no kills, 3 deaths and 1500 damage dealt. With the 500+ damage from above that still means I was managing 300 damage in the other 3 matches, but couldn't get a single kill with the thing.

Looking back into the archived stats, looks like my average damage in the thing was about 200 damage per match, so I guess that's up a bit.

Oh, and to the poster above me, don't bother with an XL275. You can manage 5 MLs, 2 SRM6s (3t), 322/338 armour (ie 40/48 on each leg) with 13 DHS and still manage a standard 275. You can drop the 2 extra heatsinks for artemis if you want. I'm certainly considering it as it might give a more concentrated punch for killing weakened mechs.

You might definitely want to consider putting Artemis on your SRM6 launchers. Even with Artemis equipped, you'll hit arms and legs on a front-facing Awesome at 90 meters. About 60% of it will strike the CT of the Awesome if you're aiming dead-center.

I can't imagine how *bad* it must be without Artemis... probably lucky to land 40% of the salvo on the CT. I never did test the damage spread/efficiency of non-Artemis SRM6. Maybe you can try it on the Testing Grounds first before you re-configure your Hunchback? Go to River City and go into the water behind Citadel, you'll find an Awesome there. Go and shoot it from 90 meters away and watch where your missiles land. I'd be very curious to see the results.

I'm guessing that the lack of Artemis is probably what's robbing you of your kill shots. You're still racking up the damage, but it's not focused on the spot where you need it, making it inefficient. So it requires you to pull the trigger more, but then you start overheating, so you slow down your rate of fire, and someone else swoops in and takes the kill.

Overall I'm finding that the health buff to the shoulders is very very nice. It's not enough of a buff to save your shoulders if you make a huge mistake since it's just 1 extra alpha. But if you're playing it tightly throughout the match, that extra bit of health can be the difference between losing the shoulder early, and having it hang on through mid-match and delivering another several salvos with it, shots you wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

#25 Bleary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:34 AM

I admit I'm not feeling the 4SP. It was my favorite 'Back before the quirk patch, but now I feel like the Wolverine 7K steals its lunch money if you want to run SRMs, and the 4G outbrawls it if you want to knife fight in a Hunchback.

There are clear and distinct niches for the 4H, J, G, and P. I think the Hunchbacks received the best quirk lineup in the game. But the 4SP? I've barely driven it in the last month.

Edited by Bleary, 02 December 2014 - 01:36 AM.

#26 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:48 AM

Ive kept my 4P in the stock loadout for 3025 stock mech matches and tournaments... and I must say, even with the stock loadout it can easily go toe to toe with most full modded Medium mechs.

The quirks made most Stock loadouts pretty damn good, foremost this particular one, which was pretty damn good before the quirks were added (due to massive amounts of SHS and nearly full armour together with a pretty fast reactor)

#27 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostYueFei, on 02 December 2014 - 12:53 AM, said:

You might definitely want to consider putting Artemis on your SRM6 launchers. Even with Artemis equipped, you'll hit arms and legs on a front-facing Awesome at 90 meters. About 60% of it will strike the CT of the Awesome if you're aiming dead-center.

90 meters? I'm firing at point blank range and still not liking it. At 90 meters? Yeah, it's hard to hit the broad side of the barn. I suppose I ought to try dropping a pair of DSH for Artemis. Whenever I get around to trying this I'll report back here with the results.

#28 James Montana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 295 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

God, it feels so good when you turn a corner in your hunch and everyone starts backing up. I was running my 4-G and just loving the fact that I forced a MadCat to back peddle. Muahahahahahaha!

#29 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:45 AM

View PostBleary, on 02 December 2014 - 01:34 AM, said:

I admit I'm not feeling the 4SP. It was my favorite 'Back before the quirk patch, but now I feel like the Wolverine 7K steals its lunch money if you want to run SRMs, and the 4G outbrawls it if you want to knife fight in a Hunchback.

There are clear and distinct niches for the 4H, J, G, and P. I think the Hunchbacks received the best quirk lineup in the game. But the 4SP? I've barely driven it in the last month.

I feel that the 4SP does best against larger targets, due to the nature of SRMs spread. The 4SP tosses around 50 damage alpha strikes, and the larger the target, the more efficient it is. Against a bigger target you can land 40 of that 50 damage onto the desired hitbox. The 4SP operates best as a close-range support for a friendly Assault fighting other enemy Assaults.

If shooting at other Mediums, Heavies, or Lights, the other AC-toting Hunchbacks (or the 4P laserboat) are probably better. SRMs are *awful* weapons to use against Lights who recognize your loadout and zone you at ~250+ meters where you'll almost never land an SRM salvo, or at best you'll land a couple missiles only. Against fast Mediums and Heavies, the smaller target profiles combined with the necessity of leading the shot (which loosens convergence between the two opposite-shoulder-mounted-SRM6 racks) vastly lessens the effectiveness of the 4SP's firepower.

View PostShadowbaneX, on 02 December 2014 - 02:52 PM, said:

90 meters? I'm firing at point blank range and still not liking it. At 90 meters? Yeah, it's hard to hit the broad side of the barn. I suppose I ought to try dropping a pair of DSH for Artemis. Whenever I get around to trying this I'll report back here with the results.

Yeah the SRM spread is weird, it's not really cone-shaped. So the spread at 90 meters is the same as it is at 250 meters. But of course shooting at closer ranges is better because it's easier to lead the target and the target has less time to react to the shot.

What I've done to put Artemis without sacrificing two heatsinks is to switch to FF armor and use only 2 tons of SRM ammo. I find that 2 tons of SRM ammo is enough, especially with Artemis focusing the damage better. That's 300+ damage with just the SRMs if you have 75% accuracy with the SRMs when you run out of ammo. Even as it is, the 4SP runs incredibly hot, so it's very important to use the precious initial heat capacity wisely. Once it runs hot, you can't really fire the Medium Lasers anymore if you're firing the SRM6 as fast as they reload.

One thing that helps with being efficient with the SRM ammo is to wait for good shots, just like a Hunter does. In hunting, some angles are a NO NO for shooting, because it can be deflected by bone or it will fail to pierce vital blood-bearing organs, meaning it's not a clean kill. With the 4SP, sometimes it's better to circle and hit the exposed CT rather than pumping SRMs into an already-destroyed side torso, which is only gonna transfer 50% damage to the CT.

If I run out of ammo and I've been able to help the team grab the early lead, I find that I don't need any more SRM ammo, then it's just mop-up with Medium Lasers.

Edited by YueFei, 03 December 2014 - 12:47 AM.

#30 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:36 AM

View PostYueFei, on 03 December 2014 - 12:45 AM, said:

What I've done to put Artemis without sacrificing two heatsinks is to switch to FF armor and use only 2 tons of SRM ammo. I find that 2 tons of SRM ammo is enough, especially with Artemis focusing the damage better.

I usually find that two tons is too light, it's 18 full salvos and a few left over. 3 tons allows for 25 full salvos. Not sure what build you're using, but I've already got Ferro. Here's my HBK-4SP.

#31 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:15 AM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 03 December 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

I usually find that two tons is too light, it's 18 full salvos and a few left over. 3 tons allows for 25 full salvos. Not sure what build you're using, but I've already got Ferro. Here's my HBK-4SP.

Actually only 16 full salvos. :P The ammo will last for 48 seconds of non-stop firing at maximum rate.

Mine is very similar to yours, but swaps out 1 ton of SRM ammo and 1 heatsink in exchange for Artemis:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a097225db168f98

You might be pleasantly surprised that once you put Artemis, you find you don't need as much ammo because the damage is focused better. I just conducted my own tests with 2xSRM6, no Artemis, and find that the salvos only land ~45% of their damage onto the desired hitbox. Putting Artemis increases that to 60+%, a 33% increase in efficiency. Without Artemis you have 50% more ammunition but you'll need to pull the trigger 33% more often to kill the target. With Artemis you'll end up killing the target in fewer shots, so you won't need as much ammunition.

#32 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostYueFei, on 03 December 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

Actually only 16 full salvos. :P The ammo will last for 48 seconds of non-stop firing at maximum rate.

I was half asleep. It's amazing I was coherent. I think I'd rather take the extra heat for the ammo (ie drop 2 DHS for Artemis and keep the three tons of ammo). If I find that the extra ammo is unused I'll swap.

edit: I was able to get a couple of matches in and artemis does seem to improve things...I actually managed to get a kill. That said, it seems to take a lot of damage, although, very small sample size. Given this, 2 tons of ammo might be more feasible than I first thought. Since typically at some point might fight you do end up losing a torso which drastically cuts the ammo consumption.

Edited by ShadowbaneX, 03 December 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#33 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:13 AM

I love my 4P.

Using this setup http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7bdb52298dc96a8

#34 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:18 AM

The Hunchback is a beautiful engine of destruction.

One of the few Medium mechs that isn't badly oversized, each can carry enough firepower to punch way above their weight class, be it a pile of energy weapons or a big, scary autocannon. They also have great torso twist and a bit of "zombie" capability thanks to the head laser.

The weapon is vulnerable, sure, and they lack jump-jets, but there's nothing really "wrong" with them, even if other mechs are a bit better; either way, a decently played and built Hunchback is always a serious threat.

#35 Bleary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostYueFei, on 03 December 2014 - 12:45 AM, said:

I feel that the 4SP does best against larger targets, due to the nature of SRMs spread. The 4SP tosses around 50 damage alpha strikes, and the larger the target, the more efficient it is. Against a bigger target you can land 40 of that 50 damage onto the desired hitbox. The 4SP operates best as a close-range support for a friendly Assault fighting other enemy Assaults.

If shooting at other Mediums, Heavies, or Lights, the other AC-toting Hunchbacks (or the 4P laserboat) are probably better. SRMs are *awful* weapons to use against Lights who recognize your loadout and zone you at ~250+ meters where you'll almost never land an SRM salvo, or at best you'll land a couple missiles only. Against fast Mediums and Heavies, the smaller target profiles combined with the necessity of leading the shot (which loosens convergence between the two opposite-shoulder-mounted-SRM6 racks) vastly lessens the effectiveness of the 4SP's firepower.

I'm familiar with using SRMs. The 4SP was my favorite Hunch before the quirks, after all. I've fired enough missiles to master its xp track.

It's not a bad 'Mech. It's just that, well, against a bigger target the 4G can also land 35 damage onto the desired hitbox, and has a better time concentrating damage against anything smaller. And if you really want to run SRMs on a faster medium, I think the Wolverine 7K's extra launcher, bigger engine, jump capability, and shield arms trump the 4SP's armor bonuses and laser buffs.

Edited by Bleary, 07 December 2014 - 10:25 PM.

#36 MLM13

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 23 posts
  • LocationParadise City

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:47 AM

The GRID IRON will be having a Gauss Quirk Next Patch... About time.....

#37 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:49 AM

View PostMLM13, on 09 December 2014 - 06:47 AM, said:

And it will be glorious!

Consider that the 50% quirk is augmented by 5% fast fire and 12% cooldown module and we're talking about a 67% reduction.

That Gauss will be recharging every 1.32 seconds and firing about every 2 seconds.

#38 James Montana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 295 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:02 AM

View PostMLM13, on 09 December 2014 - 06:47 AM, said:

Really? Dang it. I might have to put my 4-G down and try it then.

View PostNapes339, on 09 December 2014 - 08:49 AM, said:

And it will be glorious!

Consider that the 50% quirk is augmented by 5% fast fire and 12% cooldown module and we're talking about a 67% reduction.

That Gauss will be recharging every 1.32 seconds and firing about every 2 seconds.

(drops 4-g on ground, walks over to toy box and grins). Muahahahahaha

#39 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:15 AM

View PostJames Montana, on 09 December 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

Really? Dang it. I might have to put my 4-G down and try it then.

(drops 4-g on ground, walks over to toy box and grins). Muahahahahaha

My body is ready!

#40 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:17 PM

I've actually managed to score kills in 3 straight games in a 4SP...problem is, it was only 1 kill per match and I died shortly thereafter. Also, the thing now runs really, really hot due to how quick the SRMs fire. Mech needs missile heat generation perks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users