Nova Heat Managment

Weapons

10 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt Allen

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:54 AM

Holly crap as if the Nova didn't have enough trouble with heat management now since the patch it's even worse. Can anybody tell me why ??

It's becoming a dead Mech, I never see them anymore and no wonder you have to strip half the med lasers off and still the heat is horrible. I'm running 5 ERML and an UAC-5 with 4 extra clan double heat sinks and the heat management is at .99

What can I do to play the Nova competitively ?

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:56 AM

Shorter beam durations is likely the cause. Lazors generate heat over the course of their beam rather than upfront. This means that more beam time = more spread out heat. Shorter beam durations means that your heat is more upfront, like a "spike" of heat.

#3 Sgt Allen

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:04 AM

thanks for the explanation FupDup makes sense, ouch sure hurts the Nova :-(

#4 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:11 AM

Do you have a range module installed? They are bugged and cause your mechs heat management to drop by a lot. Amazing how these things get missed.

Edited by Axeface, 05 November 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#5 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostAxeface, on 05 November 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

Do you have a range module installed? They are bugged and cause your mechs heat management to drop by a lot. Amazing how these things get missed.

According to PGI though it is only on paper, not in-game.

#6 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,943 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:30 AM

Nova has been painful to pilot since the clan laser heat changes, even before that it was barely worth piloting.

#7 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:35 AM

View PostMister D, on 05 November 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

Nova has been painful to pilot since the clan laser heat changes, even before that it was barely worth piloting.

I've been piloting mine less and less. I love the Nova and was glad to be able to play it again for the first time since MW2. 12 x C-ERML just isn't a viable loadout in this game so the PRIME arms have more hardpoints than you need. I found some nice loadouts that run hot and have good offense if you can control yourself but what has been turning me away from the Nova is how easy it is to lose both arms and still have all your torso health and just be a useless zombie. With decent speed and jumpjets you can get into nice ambush positions and deal some damage and be sneaky but the rare time you get caught in the open (unavoidable--it will happen eventuallY) I just feel more fragile in a Nova than I do anything else.

Edited by Kain Thul, 05 November 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#8 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:47 AM

Might I suggest losing the UAC and replace it with a brace of smalls? Either ERs or Pulses, both give you a low heat but still nice damage option.

I had a wonderful match with just 12 SPLs; they are just nasty up close.

#9 Tatula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:47 AM

Just don't run it with 12 CMedLas. I run mine with 6 and it does OK (it's only a medium afterall). Just do a lot of Hit and Runs and legging lights.

#10 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 05 November 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

Might I suggest losing the UAC and replace it with a brace of smalls? Either ERs or Pulses, both give you a low heat but still nice damage option.

I had a wonderful match with just 12 SPLs; they are just nasty up close.

I want to try this with the new C-SPL values. The limited range is just something I would have to adjust to.

#11 asdbnmrty

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:05 PM

I recently revisited my nova and was pleasantly surprised. Everyone here is definitely right, I too was upset about the heat change to lasers and I felt like the Nova was butchered.

But then I re-approached with a different mindset. My Nova has 6 ERmlas, 4 MG (2 tons of ammo), a Clan Targeting Computer MK 1, and as many heat sinks as I can fit in. Prior to the laser change, I could alpha 6 med lasers 3-4 times (elited bonuses included) before risking overheating. Now I can alpha twice. BUT, is that really a bad thing?

When I sat down to hammer the numbers, a 6 med laser alpha is doing 42 damage per with an effective range of 440ish meters (/w range mod and target comp). To me, that in itself is nothing to scoff at considering the range, no ammo dependance, and that it can be done twice. Yes there is definitely burn time in applying damage, that that is the price paid for the ammo-less nature and range. I also manage my expectations accordingly for burn time (if they are not facing me directly, I do not expect all the damage to land exactly where I want it).

And I have to admit, prior to the heat change I would get an average of 600-800 damage in this Nova. As cool as that was, it felt wrong. I wasn't doing anything fancy at the time, I would simply rip alphas at anything I could see. It seemed... too easy and didn't feel right. After the change I can average about 350-450 damage, which seems normal amount. Can pull off more if I start to get fancy, upwards of the old 600-800.

So really, my new mindset was 'Yes, this thing is hot. I need a lot of heat sinks to be even barely manageable. Because of this, I need to stick to lower weapons and can't mount big guns because it will kill my tonnage for heat sinks. I can alpha twice, yes twice. After that, I'm gonna take a while to cooldown. ANNDDDDD.. that's OK. I'm OK with that. I use to be able to alpha more before, but it was way too strong then. It has since been scaled down, but it isn't fair to compare it to its past state since it was OP. Overall it's not as bad as I think."

Try this mindset, I've had a lot of success and the Nova is way more reasonable when I look at it like this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users