43 replies to this topic

#1 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:22 PM

So are they more than a fat(Chocobo) Jenner now?

The C with the ERPPC module is fun and the DPS and suppression is nice though i suck aiming it long range.

I need a B, Wubcada needs to burn some faces off. Kinda worried about the arms...i have a habit of using them as shields. Cooldown + module means fast 30 point alphas. I like that.

The A ill use when i buy the ML module. Not bad but pretty white-bread.

M is kinda retired now but im not selling it.

I dont own an Oxide...but if there were a nice sale...

Your experiences?

#2 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:04 PM

My builds were already aligned with the quirks, and I was already playing them towards those strengths, so for me it is mostly just doing everything better.

CDA-3C 1xLL 1xERPPC - stealth sniper, move around the edge of the map, get behind the enemy, wait for LRMs to fall and add some opportunistic burst damage. Quirk buff to LL makes that weapon work better and the patch buff to ERPPC speed (from the patch, not a quirk) makes it work better too.

X-5 4xML 2xASRM4 - forward aggressive medium on the edge of the group, rush to fill holes in the line and fire on targets of opportunity rather than going out solo, the quirk buffs match the build perfectly so it just does it better, and this was already my most reliable moneymaker.

CDA-2A 6xML - same as above but bigger engine lets it go faster so I can be slightly more conservative on the forward stance, works better than it did already and it was a very good earner already. I will sell this mech when I get a better laserboat put together, just for some variety, but havent found a better alternative yet.

#3 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

The B with the MPL is gonna get nerfed. :(

#4 Fedifensor

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:18 PM

The Cicada-3C is slightly better, though you're limited to an ER-PPC and either MGs or an AC-2 if you want to keep a decent amount of speed and armor.

#5 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:48 AM

I like the quirks so far. The 3M quirks perfectly fit my 2ER-LL + 2 ML setup. that was good even without the quirks.

And the X-5 with 4 ML + 2 SRM6 rocks awesome as a hit and run striker.

Gotta revisit the 6 MPL A2 some day again. I had loads of fun with that during Betas.

#6 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:36 AM

How's the cicada past buffs? I didn't like them before to the point I sold it then bought it again then sold it again at failure of liking it the 2nd time. I hated it for being equal or less firepower then my locust.

(planning to get the 5E variant due to being already all basic'ed, the 4B 1E variant, and some other. Perhaps the 1B 4E variant)

#7 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 24 November 2014 - 03:36 AM, said:

(planning to get the 5E variant due to being already all basic'ed, the 4B 1E variant, and some other. Perhaps the 1B 4E variant)

The 5E has pulse laser quirks and is quite nice(i used this quite a lot to win my free Victor). The 6E has med laser quirks and is decent.
The 1E variant REALLY needs the ERPPC modules to go with it. Reminds me of a jumpless ERPPC Spider

#8 Rhaegor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:59 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 14 November 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

I like the quirks so far. The 3M quirks perfectly fit my 2ER-LL + 2 ML setup. that was good even without the quirks.

And the X-5 with 4 ML + 2 SRM6 rocks awesome as a hit and run striker.

Gotta revisit the 6 MPL A2 some day again. I had loads of fun with that during Betas.

I would typically use ERLL on an ECM "light" mech, but with the large laser quirks, i find myself wanting to use 2 X LL and 2 X ML instead.

#9 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:58 PM

I've always kinda been interested in Cicadas, but I wonder if anyone's had success using builds with standard engines. I have a good number of standards kicking around, but no XLs in the 300+ rating.

I know most will be slow by light mech standards and maybe not as heavily armed as most Cicada's on the field. But I imagine a zombie Cicada would be a surprise to most. I usually blast off their STs when I run into them.

#10 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:26 PM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 22 December 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

I've always kinda been interested in Cicadas, but I wonder if anyone's had success using builds with standard engines. I have a good number of standards kicking around, but no XLs in the 300+ rating.

I know most will be slow by light mech standards and maybe not as heavily armed as most Cicada's on the field. But I imagine a zombie Cicada would be a surprise to most. I usually blast off their STs when I run into them.

Dunno.
Maybe the A or C would STDengine.

Wubcada and M 's weapons are likely too heavy.

Dont know if you want to trade quickness-/torso twist rate or ridgehump-ability in order to zombie.

You can peekaboo with the Wubcada and C like a boss but you want as little facetime as possible.

You will want several XL300's they work with MANY mechs, Cicadas, jenners,Catapults, Wubverine, so on...

TL;DR keep the speed/quickness, Cicada has hitboxes that maximize them.

#11 Scratchspider

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 20 posts
  • LocationKentuckiana

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:25 AM

Definitely go XL. The Cicada's speed is one of its primary advantages, along with the relatively heavy armor for what is essentially a taller light mech. I run a 325XL in my 2A and I would never drop to anything lower. With speed tweak you can keep pace with all but the fastest lights. The side torsos are small enough that I usually die to a CT or leg loss before ST, and the little arm nubs on the 2A and 3M also make decent shields; if I'm in a fight and not shooting then I always have my torso at a 90 degree angle to the enemy.

XL engines are expensive, but if you're going to commit to a Cicada then you need one. That's the only downside to the Cicada, really, is that the price point is deceptive. There's a lot of hidden costs in XL engines, endo-steel, and double heatsinks. In my opinion, though, it's worth it. The 2A is my favorite mech by a large margin.

Edited by Scratchspider, 26 December 2014 - 01:26 AM.

#12 Mobile Ordnance Platform

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 02:05 AM

im really struggling to find a reason to field the 3M these days
i use to really enjoy using it with 2 PPC aka noisy cricket but for some reason its just not as effective anymore (ppc hit reg issues?) and 2LL2ML just feels meh

the 3C however is awesome with UAC5 and ERPPC combo, quite a potent little mech if used right

#13 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:58 AM

the 3m with an AC5+ 4 ML's is still a wonderful mech.. way more speed than anything loaded out even close, and ECM, means you can skip the radar dep module, and use something a bit more helpful.

over all the cicada's post quirk are great! Though it just makes me wish i bought the B over the A.. id much rather use pulse lasers, than 6 ML's.. Id leave that for jenners..

#14 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:22 AM

I've had some really good games with the 2B and 5xmdpl, to the point that I hope they don't nerf it.

3M is a good mech to give ecm to folks and just poke. I put 2x LL on mine with range/cooldown modules and just assist heavier things, or help give light lances more punch.

3C is a great fast sniper if you are good at hitting distance. Some folks make it slower and put on additional ballistics but I go with the old standby of 1xerppc and 4xMGs.

2A I sold off because I don't find it as effective as the 2B.

X-5 I still have the 4xML, 1xBap and 2xSSRM2s on and it still works fine. It just never seems to be a stellar mech, but it is good as an assist to anything fast, or flanking passes.

#15 Void2258

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:00 PM

Why does everyone hate on the 3M? I find it to be pretty good. The only downside is I keep wanting to put in an AC/5 just so it won't jam at the worst times.

EDIT: Pulled the UAC/5 for and AC/5, used the extra tonnage to upgrade the armor and ammo levels.

Edited by Void2258, 19 January 2015 - 08:36 PM.

#16 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:15 PM

Got the X5.
Been using 1LPL,3ML...to decent effect. The weapons synergize well in range and burn.

Just not feeling the SRM yet.

May try 2 PPC for lols.

#17 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

I got the x5, but never really worked that great for me, maybe its because i think the 3M brings so much more simply because of ecm and damage is similar usually get more from my 3M

Use 4MPl in it.

#18 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

View Postdeanon, on 22 January 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

I got the x5, but never really worked that great for me, maybe its because i think the 3M brings so much more simply because of ecm and damage is similar usually get more from my 3M

Use 4MPl in it.

Ive been running, BAP, 3ML, 1LPL...not bad. Range and burn times are similar.

Tried 4ML/BAP with lots DHS, almost heat neutral 20 points at @340m. I think it would be better with the ML modules.

Might play with 4MPL.

#19 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:01 AM

2A vs. 2B is an interesting comparison to consider, because they're so very similar now. Both run at 151.5 with a max engine and both carry a 30 damage alpha. The slightly stronger quirks on the 2B make the effective range almost identical as well. The primary benefit of the 2B is surely the quicker lasers, which make it easier to apply the damage to the right places on faster mechs for certain, but this leaves no space for heatsinks so it will be hot. The 2A has the benefit of not using the flimsy paddle arms, which means you can shave their armor for an extra ton, allowing you to squeeze a full 5 extra DHS into the mech. It lets the mech run cool by comparison and the improved heat dissipation is very noticeable(3.11 HPS vs. 2.3 HPS). The 2B has a higher DPS thanks to the quicker lasers, but only by a small fraction and the extra cooling means the 2A will be doing significantly more once they get hot.

In the end I think it ends up being mostly preference on which would be better for a particular pilot. I find myself preferring the 2A for the better cooling, especially on hot maps. The 3M is always good, especially now with 2 LLAS and 2 MLAS, though it plays a bit more supportive role than the others. The 3C feels kinda iffy to me, taking a medium slot for a single ERPPC mech, though the quirks do make it pretty effective at making shots count. The X-5 has always looked like a fat Jenner D with no jumpjets to me. The quirks make 4 MLAS, 2 SSRM4 look interesting now though; I'll probably get one next time it's on sale.

#20 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:19 PM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 23 January 2015 - 06:01 AM, said:

2A vs. 2B is an interesting comparison to consider, because they're so very similar now. Both run at 151.5 with a max engine and both carry a 30 damage alpha. The slightly stronger quirks on the 2B make the effective range almost identical as well. The primary benefit of the 2B is surely the quicker lasers, which make it easier to apply the damage to the right places on faster mechs for certain, but this leaves no space for heatsinks so it will be hot. The 2A has the benefit of not using the flimsy paddle arms, which means you can shave their armor for an extra ton, allowing you to squeeze a full 5 extra DHS into the mech. It lets the mech run cool by comparison and the improved heat dissipation is very noticeable(3.11 HPS vs. 2.3 HPS). The 2B has a higher DPS thanks to the quicker lasers, but only by a small fraction and the extra cooling means the 2A will be doing significantly more once they get hot.

In the end I think it ends up being mostly preference on which would be better for a particular pilot. I find myself preferring the 2A for the better cooling, especially on hot maps. The 3M is always good, especially now with 2 LLAS and 2 MLAS, though it plays a bit more supportive role than the others. The 3C feels kinda iffy to me, taking a medium slot for a single ERPPC mech, though the quirks do make it pretty effective at making shots count. The X-5 has always looked like a fat Jenner D with no jumpjets to me. The quirks make 4 MLAS, 2 SSRM4 look interesting now though; I'll probably get one next time it's on sale.

The C works well if you stick near a long range heavy/assault.

B is better than the A in my hands. A would benefit from a range and duration boost.

X-5 with 4ML and no SRM is interesting. Fire at will, basically. Thats without ML modules. Max engine you can peek fast.
3ML and 1 LPL has more punch and the heat isnt too bad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users