Command Console Option

15 replies to this topic

#1 Airox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:50 AM

Most people will agree the command console is not worth taking. I thought of what I think is a cool idea to make it worthwhile:

Focus fire is the name of the game. Whichever team brings the most guns on a single target first will usually win. I've long wished I had a button that I could push to call teammates to my target. Well some games (GW) have long had such a system. If this were combined with the command console it would enable true electronic information warfare.

Any player with a command console can press "target" button to make their current target the called target. Any player without a command console can press the "target" button to switch targets to the most recent called target.

Oh and just because, in game voip would be AMAZING! Sorry, just had to add that.

#2 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostAirox, on 03 November 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

Most people will agree the command console is not worth taking.

I had some spare tonnage on my Atlas S, It was either the command console or a slightly bigger engine, I chose the console. I definitely made the right choice there, target info is just too useful not to have. Stack it with the target info module once the mech is mastered ( because obviously I'll take radar derp and seismic sensor first ) and you'll never have to waste a shot again.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:29 PM

I see no reason why it can't retain it's current direct statistical bonuses while also adding a new function with non-stat effects, such as a 'designate target' function. Very fitting to a "command" oriented item.

I would suggest an octagonal or hexagonal target border (square is already default and missile lock is round, so)

#4 ACH75

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:34 PM

Command Consolle and Targeting Computers needs a complete rebalance especially in weight and pod spaces.

If you all remembers well, the functionalities of this equipments were announced with values far better than what was released! They have nerfed them to the ground since the beginning!!! ...nerfed the benefits while keeping intact the original counterbalance in weight and pod spaces!!! :(

#5 Airox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:30 AM

At least Redshift seemed to get the intent of my post.

I'm not really concerned about the command console. It's simply one way that what I do care about could be implemented.

What I care about is being able to target a single mech as a group. This group targeting ability would be a great feature.

#6 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:33 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 03 November 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

I see no reason why it can't retain it's current direct statistical bonuses while also adding a new function with non-stat effects, such as a 'designate target' function. Very fitting to a "command" oriented item.

I would suggest an octagonal or hexagonal target border (square is already default and missile lock is round, so)

Yep. This would be really nice.

#7 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:33 AM

Boy sure am glad I got targeting computers instead of the command console.

#8 ColourfulConfetti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:28 AM

I always felt command console should be open to any assault and that it should allow a 13th player in the game, who basically serves the role as a drop leader. Essentially that 13th player can see through the eyes of any friendly mech or a more in depth battle-grid view. They should be able to mark a target as priority, and be bale to use the battle-gird movement symbols ect. It essentially limits the CC to 12 mans/8 mans but I think it'll make it an item worth using afterwards perhaps.

#9 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostPalmaRoma, on 08 November 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

I always felt command console should be open to any assault and that it should allow a 13th player in the game, who basically serves the role as a drop leader. Essentially that 13th player can see through the eyes of any friendly mech or a more in depth battle-grid view. They should be able to mark a target as priority, and be bale to use the battle-gird movement symbols ect. It essentially limits the CC to 12 mans/8 mans but I think it'll make it an item worth using afterwards perhaps.

I've imagined this, too. Totally awesome. Probably never happen.

#10 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:43 PM

And then we get dueling CCs as two or more guys on the same team play "target my target" tug o' war.

#11 King of the Woad

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 08 November 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

I've imagined this, too. Totally awesome. Probably never happen.

Bring on the Cyclops

#12 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

What about making the command console a team-coordination helper? innovative concept eh?

Just some ideas:
1) Target area designation on map for indirect LRM rain without lock.
2) Improved Air and Artillery Strike area designation without direct view (for the whole team, pilots can use consimable themselves or allow the commander use them using the console).
3) A satellite scan function of an area.

I like the idea of the extra player too.

Edited by EvilCow, 08 November 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#13 wolf74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

Give the Command Console an AOE/LOS Bonus Effect.

AKA Mechs in your Lance get 100% Effect of the Command Console if they are in a LOS and 450m and under from the Mech that carrying it. The other two Lance mechs get 50% of the Command Console.

600m and under No LOS need 50% of the Bonus (AKA your Lance get 50% the other two lances would get 25%) These bonus can be Blocked by ECM on all mech but the one Carrying the Command Console, Does NOT Stack with other Command Console.

If Multiple Command Console are effect a Single Mech only the Highest Bonus applys.

#14 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

View PostPalmaRoma, on 08 November 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

While this sounds great in theory, the fast and chaotic nature of 12v12 battles on tiny maps kinda makes it superfluous, like a lot of the role/information warfare originally proposed.

Once the new CW maps come out, we might have a different kind of warfare that has room for this sort of thing.

#15 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:29 PM

Next thing you'll be saying we should have radio commands, like CounterStrike, to give basic orders without having to type, and without making people stop and read team chat in the middle of a fight. Or maybe you'll say they should give scouts the ability to give friendly mechs target information for two or three separate targets. Or let mechs with command console call in artillery and airstrike based on grid coordinates, using the battlemap function. Or let nav points be visible in the HUD as holographic markers on the terrain itself, as opposed to being huge icons on the minimap that totally obscur any mech icons nearby, making it annoying as hell. Or that Betty should say "Nav point Beta reached", when you've actually reached the destination your company commander has designated.

These are all ridiculous suggestions. You're all pathetic. If you like team play so much, why don't you marry it?

#16 Cygone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 454 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:43 PM

CC is simply not worth taking for 3ton. Reduce weight to 1t and allow on any IS assault Mech and you MIGHT see some use out of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users