#722 Templar 14

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:03 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 21 November 2014 - 06:19 AM, said:

hmm weird, but it looks like soem angry mosnter from the semams street. Posted Image I see two evil looking eyebrows above two small eyes and an angry teeth showing mouth overlapped by a big nose. some kind of semas street monster?

Looks like Homer Simpson to me!

#723 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:02 PM

The best part about this challenge was...

... Wait for it...

... Ignoring the challenge! I completely ignored the challenge requirements, and just played my 3 days of premium time as Commander Rambo: Master Chief Spartan Warrior.

Seriously, while everybody was acting like a bunch of pansies, I was running the front line. Me: THE front line. While my teammates were cowering I was always leading the charge of the entire firing front. The enemy kept cowering, too.

It was as if they could not comprehend someone acting brazenly on a survival challenge weekend.

So, the challenge was a very fun time for me, since my Blackjack felt like a squadron of A-10 Thunderbolt II's scattering the bits of my frightened opponents everywhere.

Oh, yeah, and I died a lot. But my K/d ratio and W/L ratio for the weekend were massively positive, and I pulled more than one 6000+ XP and 300,000 C-Bill round. (premium + 1st victory + Various boosters.. heheheh)

Edited by Prosperity Park, 25 November 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#724 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:35 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 25 November 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

Seriously, while everybody was acting like a bunch of pansies, I was running the front line. Me: THE front line. While my teammates were cowering I was always leading the charge of the entire firing front. The enemy kept cowering, too.

Sounds legit. I dropped with you at least once during the challenge on Caustic Valley I think.

#725 Deadeeye

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 64 posts
  • LocationStuck on a branch in Viridian Bog

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:22 AM

Just in case anybody was still wondering: https://twitter.com/...043336301789184
No chance of getting that Victor after all. Dang it!

#726 Jerry Beard

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:45 PM

Didn't care for this contest much. Never even tried. What I saw was folks getting the requirements and just hanging back or going full idiot and shooting everything including teammates. Was the worst example of combat I have seen on here but then again you can't please everyone. Congrats to those that made it and all but I am glad this one is done and over with!

#727 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

Rock and roll! We had a blast as well. Loaded up on SRMs, pulses ranging across the entire spectrum of the family, and a bloodthirsty will to destroy! With the right mix of pilots, specific builds, and aggressive tactics, it turned out to be an awesome weekend.

There were rough spots once we got down below a 4 man, but we'd happily go out in a blaze of glory to speed up a stale match. Here's a trick too, when you know you have two or more pre-made small groups, be friendly and offer up strategic advice. It won't always happen, but when it does it looks really awesome. It's particularly satisfying when you trounce a large pre-made on their practice night using three random 4 man groups.

When you can't sway the pug, sway with the pug. Shake off the match, ready up, and get back in there!

View PostProsperity Park, on 25 November 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

The best part about this challenge was...

... Wait for it...

... Ignoring the challenge! I completely ignored the challenge requirements, and just played my 3 days of premium time as Commander Rambo: Master Chief Spartan Warrior.

It was as if they could not comprehend someone acting brazenly on a survival challenge weekend.

So, the challenge was a very fun time for me, since my Blackjack felt like a squadron of A-10 Thunderbolt II's scattering the bits of my frightened opponents everywhere.

Oh, yeah, and I died a lot. But my K/d ratio and W/L ratio for the weekend were massively positive, and I pulled more than one 6000+ XP and 300,000 C-Bill round. (premium + 1st victory + Various boosters.. heheheh)

#728 Trashhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:00 PM

A bit late, but i'd like to give some feedback as a PUG-only player as well.

But first things first:
Thanks for the Victor (finally made it Sunday evening with little time to spare).
And thanks for 3 days of premium time !
.. i have a feeling that a lot of people simply did not appreciate this reward, simply because the Victor was in their face, taunting them. ;)

Perception:
The most stressful Event for me yet.
Being a mediocre player achieving the goals all at once it was very hard work.
It was frustrating most of the time.
As if the game wanted to tell me "you are not good enough, go play something you can handle, like..... dead".

Negative Experiences:
- everyone was waiting for the enemy to make the first mistake, stalling the whole game
- once the first kill was achieved, most people were holding back even more, in order to survive
- if an enemy was stumbling in their crosshair and it was alone, everyone was rushing towards it, trying to get the kill.
- some people did not care if someone else needed a kill, too, and made like 2-4 kills, though only one was needed (and i'm not talking of accidental kills); i remember one instance were someone how did already killed an enemy did also kill the last afk enemy player, although in the chat we agreed to give this kill to someone who needed it.
(however, all of this probably did happen because the players in question either did not knew about the event, or simple did not care).
- i have to add that my behavior did change in the manner described above, too, more or less, though i never kill-stealed
- playing a light in hope to achieve a point proved to be impossible (for me); however, i think the role of as light mech is mostly to scout, spot and to harass, and not so much to achieve kill after kill (although there are enough light-players who are extremely good at just that)

Positive Experiences:
- Teammates were sometimes actually helping others to get a kill (me included)
- if the game was almost won and 1 or 2 enemies were left over, the team often chatted about giving the last kill to someone without a kill; this worked most of the time
- much less "lets-all-spread-out-as far-as-possible-and-get-killed-one-by-one" then normal
- all in all more tactical gameplay (aka "cowardliness")

Conclusion:
All the frustration and the negative experiences i had could be traced back to the win-condition, particular their combination:
"Win match, get 1 Kill, get 1 assist, survive."
The combination was just very difficult to achieve, for me in like every fifth or sixth match.

Suggestion:
I think if either "survive" or "get 1 kill" wouldn't have been part of the win-conditions, the experience would have been less frustrating (and, of cause, less challenging... which i agree is of cause why it was called a "challenge" !).

"Win match, get 1 Kill, get 1 assist, survive." - not the best combination.
Making a Kill OR Survive, not both.

In exchange the number of points needed for the Victor could have been raised.
Or, leave everything as it is, and lower the points required.

Why ? Because: (the following is just my personal opinion)
As a Scout you might not be able to make a kill, as this is not your primary role. You might get a kill "by accident", but as a scout or spotter this should NOT be your primary role.
As an Assault, your ultimate goal is not to survive to the very end, not even to make kills, but to draw the attention away from your teammates by dealing a lot of damage, making the enemy perceive you as a major thread that needs to be dealt with first, thereby ignoring your teammates while they deal even more damage to the enemy.

I think i have an idea for win-conditions that actually promote (and reward) team-play, and will post that in a different thread.

#729 Trashhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:20 AM

View PostTrashhead, on 28 November 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

I think i have an idea for win-conditions that actually promote (and reward) team-play, and will post that in a different thread.

Did put the idea mention to "paper" here:
http://mwomercs.com/...oposal-request/

#730 TamerSA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:48 AM

I know a lot of people are going to crucify me for saying this, but I'm glad they finally opted not to re-open this...
I dedicated a lot of my weekend to grind out the 91 matches it took me to get the Victor. I would have felt cheated if they re-opened it and let you pick up where you left off.

I understand that not everyone had the time, but there have been many challenges that I couldn't meet for the same reason. And I accept that. You can't have "limited time" challenges run for the whole year to accommodate everyone. That's just how it works.

#731 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:52 AM

I agree with you TamerSA. I have missed out on 11 of the challenges that I wish I could get a chance to redo. one challenge I missed because I was out of town for the weekend visiting the in-laws. I think that was the path to victory or the lance challenge.
I did get my victor but at the price staying up till 2:00am and having t go to work at 6:00am.

#732 IceFyre

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:16 PM

Way to go on this one PGI, good show! This contest was pretty well thought out and worthwhile. I didn't get the Victor but then I didn't try to. since they aren't my primary Assault. Did snag the 3 days of premium time, that was great too. Heck I'll play for premium time anytime as long as the formula for getting it is fair.

#733 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:15 PM

after further thought on this matter, the survive + and + and + and is the culprit. I understand the WIN portion ("To the Victors"...Hello). But this would have been better constructed as something like ....Win (you still MUST win) + get 2 out of the next 3: 1 kill, 2 assists, survive.

#734 LordLosh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 409 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:06 PM

Are you guys still beating this dead horse? good lord get over it you will have another chance to win something else far easier....... oh wait then you will ***** that its not as good as this so i guess carry on maybe someone will care and listen.

#735 Icebergdx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 168 posts
  • LocationEastern Washington

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:07 AM

View PostLordLosh, on 03 December 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

Are you guys still beating this dead horse? good lord get over it you will have another chance to win something else far easier....... oh wait then you will ***** that its not as good as this so i guess carry on maybe someone will care and listen.

Hey LordLosh,

People are giving feedback on a giveaway that after much further review, was found to be flawed. They are trying to help PGI with ideas, so how about you go #&%( off...

Edited by Icebergdx, 04 December 2014 - 06:08 AM.

#736 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:11 AM

*pets new victor 9S(c), coos quietly*

#737 Nometh

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:10 AM

I really don't understand all the hate this event got. Note that it this event is called a "challenge", so it is supposed to be hard. It was announced like that and you got 3 days of premium to sweeten up your weekend after scoring a single point. I consider myself a mediocre player and I got the victor after 44 matches. In fact, I didn't even try hard. Granted, most of the wins I got with my trusty JR7-F, but I also used the time to level my AS7-S (scoring points along the way).

Additionally I found the requirement to survive a match rather interesting. Of course it does have a massive influence on player behavior as it incentivises defensive gameplay. And usually I don't like being stuck with a defensive team. But since during the challenge most of the players behaved like that, it really wasn't that much of a big deal. I had the impression that flanking and getting behind the enemy was more effective.

Overall if I had a vote in this, I would like to see a similar challenge again. Especially since it's always nice to get a free mech (with an XL engine even).

Edited by Nometh, 05 December 2014 - 01:10 AM.

#738 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:32 AM

The new daily whine thread......

#739 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:26 AM

View Postmad kat, on 05 December 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:

The new daily whine thread......

almost looks like it LOL

#740 LordLosh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:47 AM

View PostIcebergdx, on 04 December 2014 - 06:07 AM, said:

lol the only flaw was the sub par pilot's that couldn't get 1 kill 1 assist and stay alive no flaw so I'll go **** off now while you continue to whine and point out "flaws" so you can maybe complete a challenge and feel good

Hey LordLosh,

People are giving feedback on a giveaway that after much further review, was found to be flawed. They are trying to help PGI with ideas, so how about you go #&%( off...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users