Wolfs Dragoons

87 replies to this topic

#41 Uruku Telal

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

I never did Online play, but when given the choice I was always in Wolf's Dragoons, will be again If thats how this works, downloading the client right now, and I can't wait to wreck havoc with my Timber Wolf!

#42 Draken X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGMT+8

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:48 AM

Speaking of WD, I'm sure they have some elite-like Elementals.

However, I don't think they have Timber Wolf in their arsenals, or did they?

#43 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 10 October 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

hai (nods) on the CoC. At the moment we do not have any concrete details about the Community Warfare or its structure in its entirety. Until it is done the information we do have is tentative. imho PGI likely had planned that mercs will be the active part of the game while keeping with the the basic current storyline.T
  • No high level COC directing the houses' aim or control where units go. PGI controlling almost everything, for the most part follow the storyline.
    • The above is actually a good thing, considering the different types of personalities. Everyone will be able to lead (or follow) their own little unit without worrying about the politics from above. I know on AOL at one time we had a few thousand warriors per house. Talk about server overload !!!
  • To have control of a unit it will need to be a non-canon merc or non-canon house unit (active part)
  • Pilots who do not wish to be part of an active unit will be able to join a passive House unit (no canon merc units), with some House units have higher stipulations/requirements than other House units
    • .Said players will have no control over who joins said passive House unit, though technically a group of pilots could group together to form their own sub-unit (aka lance/company/battalion) but will have no say in other pilots forming similar sub-units in the same canon regiment.
    • It was mentioned that players who meet specific requirements may be able to do some things but no real specific details.
  • No Succession Wars - Will be border conflicts and said conflicts will be restricted in range. No taking over an entire state
    • With that said, if it works out that way, then the bragging rights will be on who can hold planets/sectors of space for a period of time.
    • Even when the clans come, conflicts will be limited to the borders. We just do not know how far in from the borders before we can not proceed any further.
What I would like to see happening would be the regimental (unit commanders) work with each other on overall objectives but it really depends on how PGI is going to handle that part of the game. And a collection of units could have, outside the game, an overall commander in charge while in game he commands a single unit. That alone will depend on how that portion of the game works on the upside or downside between a small or large unit.

Several things will depend on how PGI/IGP develops the Community Warfare piece as it will be quite an endeavor. There are so many ways they can do this piece that I am sure a few of us could draw up a few proposals that would be different from each other. It will be a waiting game, but all we can do is plan with the information we know or have had hinted at while taking it one day at a time.

I do see PUGs eventually being the minority, simply based on our past experiences, provided the means to communicate with each other is provided with a persistent in game chat system, among other things. As long as it is more like the previous MPBT games and not MW2-4.

When the time comes and CW is finally here, I trust that our commanders and the unit at large will make the best, most informed decision regarding how the unit will approach the House/Merc division. It might make sense however, for commanders of established HK regiments and groups to network and possibly decide on the best tactic as a factional community when it comes to establishing units as house units or not, and where we would base ourselves. If we are all united in the main cause, we stand a better chance at success in the metagame.

As far as MPBT Solaris goes, I started playing in 96' where I was known as HarvesterDI. My unit Damage Inc. was not tied to any particular house. We went where we wanted and fought whoever was there. The original commander JEB Stuart handed the reigns over to me when he quit the game. I was forced to leave the game when MPBT became a paid subscription or pay by hour service in early 97' I believe and was no longer a part of free AOL games (Along with Air Warrior!). So had to leave the regiment of 70+ players. After that, didn't really play any games like this until Bad Company 2 last year. Spent 10 years playing guitar and snowboarding.

-k

Edited by Kdogg788, 11 October 2012 - 05:00 AM.

#44 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

View PostKdogg788, on 11 October 2012 - 04:59 AM, said:

It might make sense however, for commanders of established HK regiments and groups to network and possibly decide on the best tactic as a factional community when it comes to establishing units as house units or not, and where we would base ourselves. If we are all united in the main cause, we stand a better chance at success in the metagame.
The means to network are already in place, thanks to Brewer-sama's work! An issue, in my opinion, might be many commanders' having their minds set on (ab)using the mercenary system so that they can claim full "ownership" of a regiment and its associated name rather than having to share with other groups not under their control. I know, I know - I am beating a dead raxx with this assessment. But still, apart from there being a very real chance that some of these names may get changed anyways due to violating PGI's "no canon names" decree, the current incarnation of Community Warfare would seem to dispatch these formations only against other mercenaries (though possibly including other quasi-House units masquerading as mercs). A prospect one would have to be aware of for determining a unit's future, I think.

It appears as if merc units would still be able to help House Kurita by claiming worlds for the Dragon, but this does not require any coordination between different units as everyone would just fight over their own planet in a series of scheduled matches against a specific opponent. The most you could achieve by coordination on this level would be some sort of agreement on who bids how many c-bills on what contract. But actual House vs House conflict will, for the time being, focus on the "passive" faction units.

Ikka-san posted an informative recap of how Community Warfare will apparently work as per a recent PC Gamer article here: http://www.housekuri...&start=30#p1993

That said, it is somewhat difficult to coordinate anything at this point, what with so little information actually being available, and who knows if even the PC Gamer article is entirely correct. Personally, I still hope that, in the coming weeks, more units will emerge that dedicate themselves to the House aspect of Community Warfare, so that it will not all be PUGs on our side.

... hai, you may regard this as advertisement. :(

#45 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

Exactly what I was getting at. It's to be determined but it almost sounds as if we went merc, but taking Kurita contracts, we would be bidding against one another and not fighting the war for the cause of the House on the same side. I'm hoping if we do join House units, that there is some sort of metric available so that we can coordinate on the same one.

-k

#46 Datsu

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

WOW...nice to see some familar names....This is Dart from the Solaris / BT 3025 days....I also played DAOC and WOW....Any way MO does look like it has promise. To bad the Wolfs Dragoon site is gone, I use to visit on occasion just to troll around.....The site had a lot of cool pics and member names listed...etc
Ah well......

See yas in game.

Datsu aka Dart

#47 ZER0 WD

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Yo yo!

Lots of old names in this thread good to see all you guys still alive and kickin. Anyone slapped wolf lately?

ZER0 MPBT aol/gamestorm/3025
Zaroh/Zarenoth daoc/wow

Edited by ZER0 WD, 16 October 2012 - 05:09 PM.

#48 ZER0 WD

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

View PostDatsu, on 14 October 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

WOW...nice to see some familar names....This is Dart from the Solaris / BT 3025 days....I also played DAOC and WOW....Any way MO does look like it has promise. To bad the Wolfs Dragoon site is gone, I use to visit on occasion just to troll around.....The site had a lot of cool pics and member names listed...etc
Ah well......

See yas in game.

Datsu aka Dart

Yeah I don't think I have the code laying around backed up anymore, wolf eventually stopped paying for it when he fell off the net.

#49 ZER0 WD

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostUPRISING4A, on 24 July 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

Thornn, Minobu, good seeing you guys! I dont maintain the WD site, it was always Wolf/Vorsyth who owned and maintained the website. It seems that the MPBT3025 WD is effectively dead...dont see many of us left, and havent seen etherbadna around. Either way, Ill still be playing when it comes out! :P

Wolf paid for it I built it.

#50 Thornn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts
  • LocationDown at the Mechit-Lube

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

View PostZER0 WD, on 16 October 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

Yeah I don't think I have the code laying around backed up anymore, wolf eventually stopped paying for it when he fell off the net.

I ripped the site not long before it went down for good - I still have a copy of what was there if you want it. Not sure what good it would be now though, as its probably ancient. A work of art though, to be sure :)

#51 ZER0 WD

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

Thornn,

sent you a PM.

I dunno about a work of art, but it definitely pushed me to a career as a web developer. So I guess I can say playing video games did have a positive effect on my life some how! :)

#52 UPRISING4A

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Dart! Zero! Those are names I definitely remember! You guys been playing?

View PostZER0 WD, on 16 October 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

Wolf paid for it I built it.

Hah yes, you sure did Zero, I stand corrected my friend

#53 eduncan911

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

^WD-Da//an here.

Humm, I got something for you guys... Been waiting to do this for 15 years...

Targetted usernames are in the bottom-left corners during our practice sessions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That last one... Remember how you could get a leg blown off, but with jump jets still jump up to make a few attacks?

Really wish they would put that back into the game.

Edited by eduncan911, 20 October 2012 - 04:57 PM.

#54 Draken X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGMT+8

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

Interesting... How did the Dragoons have a Draconian District?

#55 Ragnrok

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

there is actually a WD alliance. almost every canon WD unit is accounted for. every unit has a mix of vets and new folks. personally im part of Alpha Reg (see tag)

#56 ZER0 WD

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

this thread has nothing to do with canon per say, has to do more with a group that played together in mpbt: solaris, on aol/gamestorm then on to several other games afterwards.

#57 Andrew X

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 49 posts
  • LocationMaryland, United States

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

Wow, definitely some blasts from the past! Nice to see ya'll again - and those screenshots - I had forgotten how trrrbl those graphics were :P

I lost contact with Wolf when he disappeared in Shadowbane ... went over to The Shadow Empire / CLAW with some people from that game ... and then a few more down the road, until now.

Don't be a stranger now that we've run into each other again ;)

#58 Draken X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGMT+8

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

View PostRagnrok, on 22 October 2012 - 07:17 PM, said:

there is actually a WD alliance. almost every canon WD unit is accounted for. every unit has a mix of vets and new folks. personally im part of Alpha Reg (see tag)

Any other Districts in the IS aside the Combine? Just curious by the way.

#59 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

well me and some guys run with Alpha Regiment. we cant do canon regiment names but the sub parts are fair game

wolfsalpha.com

#60 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

http://www.mwodragoons.com/wolfnet/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users