30 replies to this topic

#1 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:02 PM

Seriously, stock? This is some of the most fun I've had in this game.

Posted Image

Small lasers and machine guns - I love my Locusts, but they aren't brawlers. This thing? Kinda is.

#2 orcrist86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:28 PM

Shhhh, it's a secret

#3 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:33 PM

It's great but I would reccomend dumping the smalls.

I roll a xl170, x4 meds and x2 mguns with 1 ton of ammo and ECM.

Gives me 150kph tweaked and the extra range on the mediums is so much better than the extra range on the smalls. As fantastic as small lasers are they are simply WAAAAY to short ranged for my tastes (even with the quirks) And locusts have no business being that close in.

Instead the meds let you snipe and alpha at a much more agreeable range with a lot more firepower. And when you are forced to brawl up close the mguns allow you to cool when the heat gets too much.

#4 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:36 PM

Good on you! I have no skill for piloting lights, but it's nice to see other people that do. B)

#5 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:03 AM

View PostBhael Fire, on 24 November 2014 - 09:36 PM, said:

Good on you! I have no skill for piloting lights, but it's nice to see other people that do. B)

It's a hard skill to aquire. I'm still trying.

#6 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:18 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 24 November 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

It's great but I would reccomend dumping the smalls.

I roll a xl170, x4 meds and x2 mguns with 1 ton of ammo and ECM.

Gives me 150kph tweaked and the extra range on the mediums is so much better than the extra range on the smalls. As fantastic as small lasers are they are simply WAAAAY to short ranged for my tastes (even with the quirks) And locusts have no business being that close in.

Instead the meds let you snipe and alpha at a much more agreeable range with a lot more firepower. And when you are forced to brawl up close the mguns allow you to cool when the heat gets too much.

You've got to get it to above 150 if you want to take advantage of the whole thing the Spiders and Commandos do.

You see, the Cryengine can't render anything above 150kph. Unless they've announced something in the last year that says otherwise, that's ALWAYS been the case. So, if you're going faster than 150kph, the server can't accurately portray where you are and it plays merry hell with the HSR.

Granted, the Spider also benefits from tiny little buggy hitboxes, but the whole speed thing is what helps Commandos as well. No reason a Locust can't do it if you can get it up above 150.

#7 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:25 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 25 November 2014 - 03:18 AM, said:

You've got to get it to above 150 if you want to take advantage of the whole thing the Spiders and Commandos do.

You see, the Cryengine can't render anything above 150kph. Unless they've announced something in the last year that says otherwise, that's ALWAYS been the case. So, if you're going faster than 150kph, the server can't accurately portray where you are and it plays merry hell with the HSR.

Granted, the Spider also benefits from tiny little buggy hitboxes, but the whole speed thing is what helps Commandos as well. No reason a Locust can't do it if you can get it up above 150.

Spiders and commandos, can't amount the firepower that the locust does on such high hardpoints.

The reason spiders and commando's go fast is because they have to expose more than 50% of their torso to get their weapons to clear.

With locusts, if you can see it you can nail it.

The only reason you use a big engine on a locust is heatsinks. That's about it.

#8 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:39 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 25 November 2014 - 03:25 AM, said:

Spiders and commandos, can't amount the firepower that the locust does on such high hardpoints.

Wasn't talking about firepower, I was referring to the ability to simply avoid damage by taking advantage of a glitch....the same glitch Light pilots have been taking advantage of since Open Beta.

The reason spiders and commando's go fast is because they have to expose more than 50% of their torso to get their weapons to clear.

Actually, the reason Spiders and Commandos "go fast" is because of their engine. It's a simple concept, really. No engine = no movement. Small engine = slow movement. Big engine = fast movement.

I mean, I get what you're saying there and I'm sure you're one of the best Light Pilots the Group Queue has ever produced. Unfortunately, that and 15 cents will get you a cup of coffee at Denny's.....and not even that in the Solo Queue.

With locusts, if you can see it you can nail it.

As long as they're going 150 or below, you're ABSOLUTELY correct. And, mind you, even when they're moving fast, using the "baseball bat at the legs" approach will still get them. They're Locusts, for Pete's sake. They're not supposed to be able to take the same damage an Atlas does.

The only reason you use a big engine on a locust is heatsinks. That's about it.

I see.

Well, I appreciate the input but I think I'm going to have to simply agree to disagree with you. The reason you use a big engine is for more speed. The reason you want more speed is to break the 150kph cap. When you do that, you get the whole "can hit me, the HSR is confused" effect.

#9 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:49 AM

The stock build is really fun, but I think the optimal build is to just run 4 medium lasers. Amazing mech.

#10 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:12 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 25 November 2014 - 03:39 AM, said:

stuff

Speed is an illusion.

After about 100kph speed does absolutely nothing for you.

Any reasonable pilot can hit you whether you are going 100 kph or 170 kph.

The best way to avoid damage going fast is to have rapidly changing vertical surfaces. Most people can track quite eaisly on just the horizontal plane, but the vertical one really gets them.

In other words going up and down a rocky mountain side to dodge fire. 170 kph is actually a detriment at those speeds because it will cause you to bunny hop of off of rocks and slow you down and set your max speed.

Speed is only useful for getting into position and agility for rocking in and out of cover. That's about it.

Otherwise you are simply exposing yourself to unnecessary damage with the illusions that speed somehow protects you.

With hitscan lasers there is no secret hit registration avoidance.

Sure in the past their used to be, but not now.

Just the illusion of people missing and blaming magical hit scan registration issues. Nope, you missed. It happens.

#11 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:20 AM

Factually wrong, hitreg goes bonkers at 150kph. This is literally an engine thing, not a "dude's to fast to hit" pilot error.

#12 Purger of Man

• PipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:29 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 25 November 2014 - 03:49 AM, said:

The stock build is really fun, but I think the optimal build is to just run 4 medium lasers. Amazing mech.

I find 4 mediums run too hot as opposed to 3 mediums pulses oddly enough, that's what I run in mine, and it's excellent B)

#13 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:55 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 25 November 2014 - 04:12 AM, said:

Speed is an illusion.

After about 100kph speed does absolutely nothing for you.

Any reasonable pilot can hit you whether you are going 100 kph or 170 kph.

The best way to avoid damage going fast is to have rapidly changing vertical surfaces. Most people can track quite eaisly on just the horizontal plane, but the vertical one really gets them.

In other words going up and down a rocky mountain side to dodge fire. 170 kph is actually a detriment at those speeds because it will cause you to bunny hop of off of rocks and slow you down and set your max speed.

Speed is only useful for getting into position and agility for rocking in and out of cover. That's about it.

Otherwise you are simply exposing yourself to unnecessary damage with the illusions that speed somehow protects you.

With hitscan lasers there is no secret hit registration avoidance.

Sure in the past their used to be, but not now.

Just the illusion of people missing and blaming magical hit scan registration issues. Nope, you missed. It happens.

I don't know if to laugh or cry. Either way the two matches on Sunday in the PB say otherwise - first I got 4 kills when I just wanted to cause mayhem and the second I killed a SHD then legged 2 heavies and stripped off a DWF to let others get their kills. Survived both and yes speed and manoeuvarability was key to that.

Edit: 4ML version.

Edited by Remarius, 25 November 2014 - 04:56 AM.

#14 LittleFly

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 43 posts
  • LocationPurvo

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:52 AM

It doesn't make sense going with smaller engines in the locust simply because you don't get any advantages from a smaller engine. Sure they are lighter, but you have to mount more heat sinks to make up for it so you don't really gain an advantage from going with a smaller engine.

#15 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:59 AM

View PostThe Boz, on 25 November 2014 - 04:20 AM, said:

Factually wrong, hitreg goes bonkers at 150kph. This is literally an engine thing, not a "dude's to fast to hit" pilot error.

I have never noticed my legs not flying off just because I was up over 150 kph. I supposed this could be true with higher pings, but at 30-40 ping I have never seen any hitreg issues with shots coming at me.

#16 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:59 AM

Al locusts are brawlers....its the only way to do anything in them :) PB is no different than the 1E or 3S

I dropped everything on my PB and went with 170XL + 4-MPL. before that I was 4ML, 1MG, BAP

View PostLittleFly, on 25 November 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:

It doesn't make sense going with smaller engines in the locust simply because you don't get any advantages from a smaller engine. Sure they are lighter, but you have to mount more heat sinks to make up for it so you don't really gain an advantage from going with a smaller engine.

once you have speed tweak, you can drop to a 170 no problem and get 1/2 to 1 ton of extra space for stuff. even without speedtweak the 170XL gets you nearly 140. the extra heatsink usually isn't an issue because you can't carry enough to use up all the slots anyway. the 170 is usually the difference between more ammo or less ammo depending on the variant.

WORST thing about the PB is you can't really shoot down UAVs...can't look up high enough :(

Edited by Bigbacon, 25 November 2014 - 06:03 AM.

#17 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:03 AM

View PostLittleFly, on 25 November 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:

Know what also doesn't make sense to me? Running a Locust with a standard engine. I saw that once...crazy.

#18 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:11 AM

Shoot them when they are coming at or away from you.

#19 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:29 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 25 November 2014 - 04:12 AM, said:

Things

View PostRemarius, on 25 November 2014 - 04:55 AM, said:

Contrary Things

You guys are having two different conversations. Does going faster than 150 kph cause hit reg issues or not? If not, then crows wins. If so, Remarius wins.

Round 2, fight!

Edited by Water Bear, 25 November 2014 - 06:29 AM.

#20 HekiDanjo

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:32 AM

I just picked one up and YES!
So much fun and quite literally full of win. ECM + small lasers = ECM protection for my team's brawlers. Granted it's not constant since I'm making strafing runs into a fray and breaking off but I find myself close enough, often enough to friendly brawlers that it makes it quite problematic for the enemy to bring the rain on a consistent basis.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users