Looking To Buy A Centurion

7 replies to this topic

#1 Zanzen

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

I seem to be having the most with medium mechs, especially the Centurion. Right now all I have is a Catapult and a Hunchback. Was looking to pick up one of the Centurions but having a hard time picking which one to choose. Any suggestions?

#2 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

What kind of weapons are you having the most fun with? From there you can narrow it down some more.

If you're in a "spending real money" kinda mood the Yen Lo Wang is a great little hero mech which completes a stable of Centurions pretty well. They really do all have something going for them though.

#3 Zanzen

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:46 PM

Autocannons and SRMs along with some lasers are definetly where I'm shining the most at.

#4 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:14 PM

Well with that being the case Centurions are definitely the place to be.

I'll just share some builds with you for inspiration

CN9-A - Generalist

CN9-A - SRM brawler

Yen Lo Wang

CN9-AL

CN9-AH - Light killer with Streaks

CN9-AH - Heavy hitter

CN9-D

I currently own all of them except the AL which I sold many many months ago (and now regret) and the D which always seemed to expensive at more than 8 millions c-bills.

The A is fun if you want to go for a sturdy SRM brawler which is basically what the Champion build is. However, I'm more a fan of the generalist build like the one I proposed.

With the Yen Lo I apply the principle of AC20 on legs. Max engine nets you 107 kph with plenty of ammo and quick firing medium pulse lasers. People will aim for your arm and you will be left with only the lasers on occasion so defensive twisting is extra important in this one.

The difference between the hero and the AH is that the AH drops the lasers completely for 3 missile hardpoints and that means it can carry some mean amounts of firepower. Generally, it's forced to be much slower so it plays differently. My build uses streaks so I can blast lights into the ground. Right now the AH is probably my favorite of the bunch.

The D trades firepower from the A variant and increases the potential for speed. With the LB10 quirks you get an awesome super quick firing shotgun. Fact remains that the LB10 is a niche weapon that has to be used up close but at least you can pound an enemy pretty quickly. Since I don't own this my actual experience with the quirked LB10 comes from the Orion-M which has the exact same quirk. It may work better on the CN9 since its less of a target.

And finally, the laser centurion the AL. It has received some interesting quirks for Large pulse lasers but I've yet to actually try it out since then. I can only imagine this thing being a beast using fast firing pulse lasers to great effect. Plus a couple of SRM racks help add to the up close attack potential.

So really its up to you to see what interests you in the lot.

Edited by Napes339, 08 December 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#5 Zanzen

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:18 PM

Wow this helped alot, much appreciated.

#6 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

No problem Zanzen, just glad to hear that other pilots are as interested in mediums as I am.

#7 Rufus Ingram

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 129 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre, Free Rasalhague Republic

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:31 PM

Centurions are a lot of fun. I prefer Yen-Lo-Wang, but all are fun.

#8 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:59 PM

Also, here are some general resource websites for MWO

http://snafets.de/mwo/quirks.htm - Quirks for all the IS mechs in the game
https://www.mechspecs.com/ - List of builds and a forum for MWO
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab - The standard online mech building tool
http://keikun17.gith...heat_simulator/ - Heat simulator for testing out builds