Terrible Gtx 970 Experience With Mwo.

111 replies to this topic

#1 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:41 AM

I've had horrible experience once I upgraded to GTX 970 from overclocked GTX 465. My frame rate, no matter what settings in video card and in video section of the game, during the game (not in testing ground) went to 20s and 30s from 50s of GTX 465. I thought maybe it was vista related or problems with software. Reinstalled fresh Windows 7 and new drivers. Same story. In testing grounds I get 80 to 100+ fps--absolutely beautiful smoothness on max video settings with GTX 970 and in the game mech lab screen, for example, I get solid 60, but, once I drop INTO the game AND I start MOVING the fps drops to 40s then 30s then 20s and it becomes unplayable. I fugure it has something to do with processor processing physics of the game or something since it has to do with movement but it ONLY concerns IN GAME experience with other players, not solo in testing grounds. WHY? I've read that Cryengine 3 is cpu relying instead of gpu and that it hates certain? amd processors? I have 6 core black Phenom 2 clocked and overclocked at 3.2 and to 3.4. Run BIOS at default and also with overlocked memory and other settings and no difference.. it's a total bust. Skyrim high res texture experience.. iffy 60s fps but during some combat and experiences drops to 50s and even 40s. WHAT?? Blame it on CPU again? My motherboard is ASRock 890FX, so, it's not the latest 990FX but it's a top end board of it's day. Memory is 4 sticks of 2 GB each, dual channel. Everything is cooled properly. Drivers are the latest. I played mwo with GTX 465 overclocked with in game experience of 52fps (on low settings, but still) and I went down to 20fps?!? wowzers. I don't think NVidia drivers and architecture is really to blame for all of this, right? I have a bitter taste from this latest NVidia upgrade and wmo experience with it. I also figured out how to test the expected in battle performance when outside of the battle--switch from mechlab to skills, for example, (and the problem is repeatable) and you get sudden drop to 20s fps every time which is what you would expect in the game worst case scenario. Not cool. In drop preparation screen I get 75fps, in testing grounds over 100fps, but as soon as I drop into a battle and start moving.. BOOM, fps goes down. My RAM is OCed to 1600 with proper Voltage applied but also run it at stock settings and nothing helped. Right now, on low settings with GTX 970 @1920x1200 resolution I get 30s fps in battles but with GTX 465 overclocked that I had I got solid 50fps on low settings at the same resolution. This purchase was a total frustration. I don't think NVidia drivers and Maxwell architecture to blame for all of this? Yes, I am aware about Cryengine's stress on CPU and not on GPU. My gpu is running at 30% usage and only one core of my 6 core CPU is normally maxed out by mwo with others kicking in to help at low 20% and less. I am at a total loss. I can't go on like this with mwo. Looking at some google mwo old threads the problem was known for a long time and no fix of game optimization came? My extreme Heaven benchmark (as it is) came out to be 1808 and that seems to be what other GTX 970 users are getting so I am 99% sure it's not the video card's fault. I also tried my card @stock settings and overvolted and overclocked with power limit set at 110%--neither way helped. Horrible...

#2 Aznpersuasion89

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:03 AM

Ya that's weird. Do you have a fx 6300? I didn't see what cpu you have.

#3 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:04 AM

View PostJesus DIED for me, on 29 November 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

I've had horrible experience once I upgraded to GTX 970 from overclocked GTX 465. My frame rate, no matter what settings in video card and in video section of the game, during the game went to 20s and 30s from 50s of GTX 465.

Let me guess you went from DX-9 to DX-11 and CRANKED everything to the max, including PARTICLES.

#1. Turn Particles down to LOW.

Now, please post your MWO ingmae Video SETTINGS.

With MWO don't expect to plug in a new GPU and get 140 FPS maxed out, it's never gonna happen.
MWO is not optimized very well, it's tough on a CPU.

EDIT: I went from a GTX 560 ti to a GTC 680 sig 2, and noticed a large improvement in most games, but in MWO the increase wasn't as extreme.

Ran a Phenom II x6 1100t clocked on water to 4.2 and had zero issue with MWO when I had the GTX 560 ti, but I turned particles to low and tweaked the other settings a bit.

I think you may have cranked settings a bit too far.

DOUBLE EDIT: 3.2GHZ is not quite good enough for MWO on a Phenom II chip.

Edited by Odins Fist, 29 November 2014 - 10:10 AM.

#4 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:14 AM

Wall of text damage: 9999

Without even reading, I can tell you that GPU does next to nothing for MWO. You'd have known this if you did a quick search on the forums.

Just turn Particles and Efffects to low and Shadow to Medium. You can leave the rest on very high on a GTX970. I push between 45-110 FPS on my i5-3570K with GTX970 on those settings.

If you upgraded your GFX card just for MWO, I'm sorry to tell you but you should have upgraded your CPU instead.

#5 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:23 AM

I bought a GTX970,too and it will be shipped on monday. So it means that MWO will not profit from it? Is it really that badly programmed?
I run it fine on my GTX660 TI with a i5-3570K, but for the upcoming titles like GTA V I want more power. I thought that MWO would run better with a better GPU, because that would be logical. Silly me -_-

Currently I have around 90-100 fps and it drops down to 40-50 if the action starts so I cant really complain.

#6 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostWrathful Scythe, on 29 November 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

I bought a GTX970,too and it will be shipped on monday. So it means that MWO will not profit from it? Is it really that badly programmed?
I run it fine on my GTX660 TI with a i5-3570K, but for the upcoming titles like GTA V I want more power. I thought that MWO would run better with a better GPU, because that would be logical. Silly me -_-

Currently I have around 90-100 fps and it drops down to 40-50 if the action starts so I cant really complain.

U should see good results. U have a good cpu i imagine oc a bit? Remember tho particles are hell on almost anything

#7 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostAznpersuasion89, on 29 November 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

Ya that's weird. Do you have a fx 6300? I didn't see what cpu you have.
It is Phenom II 1090T 6 core AMD ACPI\AuthenticAMD_-_AMD64_Family_16_Model_10

View PostOdins Fist, on 29 November 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

Let me guess you went from DX-9 to DX-11 and CRANKED everything to the max, including PARTICLES.

#1. Turn Particles down to LOW.

Now, please post your MWO ingmae Video SETTINGS.

With MWO don't expect to plug in a new GPU and get 140 FPS maxed out, it's never gonna happen.
MWO is not optimized very well, it's tough on a CPU.

EDIT: I went from a GTX 560 ti to a GTC 680 sig 2, and noticed a large improvement in most games, but in MWO the increase wasn't as extreme.

Ran a Phenom II x6 1100t clocked on water to 4.2 and had zero issue with MWO when I had the GTX 560 ti, but I turned particles to low and tweaked the other settings a bit.

I think you may have cranked settings a bit too far.

DOUBLE EDIT: 3.2GHZ is not quite good enough for MWO on a Phenom II chip.
Maybe 3.2 is 'too low'? I don't think it should be though. And, yes, I get 20 fps range in battles with everything turned to low (in the game itself). I am going to mess with NVidia settings too but I think I've tried that before too--it has nothing or very little to do with graphic settings. There is just something else that is wrong, that is going on. Right now my CPU is overclocked at 3.4 and it's running Heaven benchmark on max everything, including tessellation, @1920x1200 and it's fine at it. So, yeah, my mwo video settings are all low with anti-aliasing off etc., even the glow effect is turned off. The problem is related to one dropping into battle and not in testing solo maps where it's all peachy.

View Postknightsljx, on 29 November 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

Wall of text damage: 9999

Without even reading, I can tell you that GPU does next to nothing for MWO. You'd have known this if you did a quick search on the forums.

Just turn Particles and Efffects to low and Shadow to Medium. You can leave the rest on very high on a GTX970. I push between 45-110 FPS on my i5-3570K with GTX970 on those settings.

If you upgraded your GFX card just for MWO, I'm sorry to tell you but you should have upgraded your CPU instead.
If you would have bothered to read it, you would have noticed that I turned down everything to low in mwo settings. I was hoping for steady 50 min fps in battles but 20sh is too low for me.. unplayable.

Looks like earlier NVidia video cards were better optimized? That's my guess. Yeah, if it weren't for the limited edition, I would have waited for the spring of 2015 to buy a Maxwell 20nm part but I 'just had to have' this particular card. I am kinda sorry that I bought it. Skyrim is kind of low too, for some reason--lower than I expected. I've read people saying that Cryengine is cpu bound but 6 core @3.4 should have been enough.. it's unreasonable to think otherwise. Remember, I am running every video setting in mwo on low (switching to dx9 did not help me). Buying new motherboard (and possibly cpu too) is too much for me at this point in time. Strange thing is that my GTX 465 faired better at mwo and gave me consistent 52 fps on low settings.

#8 Deathsiege

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBay Area CA

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:02 AM

Stupid question but does your power supply have enough amps to support the new card? When I upgraded from my stock card my psu only had 17 amps where I needed 30 amps for my new card.

#9 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostDeathsiege, on 29 November 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

Stupid question but does your power supply have enough amps to support the new card? When I upgraded from my stock card my psu only had 17 amps where I needed 30 amps for my new card.

Yes, no problem for asking, but, I do have a good 850W silver efficiency Pro power supply from Corsair and it's rated at 70+ amps on a single rail. It's not an SLI setup and NVidia limits these new video cards with a power limiter in order to prevent trouble from crazy overclocks.

#10 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:00 PM

I have upgraded to the GTX 970 SSC and ran the game at max settings at 2560x1440 resolution and the FPS droped into the 20's just as you described.

However overclocking the CPU from 3.2 GHz to a solid 4.5 GHz fixed the problems and the FPS is now a stable 60.

4.5 GHz overclock seems to be a system requirement for this game.

Absolutly try to overclock the CPU if your core voltage and temperature permit.

Im sure that will fix your problems if you can get it stable.

#11 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:04 PM

your K series processor should run just fine at 4.5 GHz and than it will crank out a solid 60-120 fps with the GTX 970 at 2560x1440, just keep in mind the Vcore and the temperature.

as I said, this game is all about the overclock...
pure speed on the cpu and the gpu will work miracles

Edited by Therrinian, 29 November 2014 - 02:05 PM.

#12 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:08 PM

View PostTherrinian, on 29 November 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

I have upgraded to the GTX 970 SSC and ran the game at max settings at 2560x1440 resolution and the FPS droped into the 20's just as you described.

However overclocking the CPU from 3.2 GHz to a solid 4.5 GHz fixed the problems and the FPS is now a stable 60.

4.5 GHz overclock seems to be a system requirement for this game.

Absolutly try to overclock the CPU if your core voltage and temperature permit.

Im sure that will fix your problems if you can get it stable.

WOW WOW WOW :rolleyes: This is incredible. I thank you very much for this info. I was concerned that my video card is bad somehow but only in 3D area of the hardware--I am glad that's not the case. Whew. Now, about 4.5GHz being a requirement! lolz Ok. Seeing how things are going, my system must be outdated and here I thought 3.4GHz is ok... maybe it is but for 'normal' games. Thanks for sharing your experience--that helped me a lot and now I see that I am not the only one who run into this problem. Let's hope NVidia comes out with a fix to this in drivers or BIOS maybe. :wub: :blink:

#13 Cmdr Killian

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:19 PM

4.5 ghz isnt a requirement for this game. Im runnin an amd 8350 not overclocked (4ghz 8core cpu) with a geforce 680 (evga superclocked signature edition) with an added watercooler.. im running on 3 screens using nvidia surround and have *NO* problems. my cousin has a phenom 2 945? or 940, running at 3 ghz, and he has no problems either.

#14 PhoenixNMGLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 307 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

I am running a gtx 660 and AMD fx 4170 4.2 Ghz I noticed a massive difference in performance when I dropped the particles to low.

#15 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:36 PM

View PostCmdr Killian, on 29 November 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

4.5 ghz isnt a requirement for this game. Im runnin an amd 8350 not overclocked (4ghz 8core cpu) with a geforce 680 (evga superclocked signature edition) with an added watercooler.. im running on 3 screens using nvidia surround and have *NO* problems. my cousin has a phenom 2 945? or 940, running at 3 ghz, and he has no problems either.
Interesting. It could be related to other factors, such as motherboard and memory.

View PostPhoenixNMGLB, on 29 November 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

I am running a gtx 660 and AMD fx 4170 4.2 Ghz I noticed a massive difference in performance when I dropped the particles to low.
That's interesting too. Thanks. Here is my Firestrike benchmark, for those who are interested.. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4881924 (Score of 8775 OCed)

#16 Arkbird_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:35 PM

I can pretty well promise the gtx 970 is not your problem. Should max out just about any game at 1920x1080. I'm running MWO at high settings (except particles is at medium, it's the killer at higher options may even put it to low to break 60 fps) and almost always above 50 fps which I'm happy with with a stock FX 8350 4ghz. WIll get more when I overclock it someday.

For most games you need to get a better graphics card to improve performance, however with some CPU bound games a good CPU is more important and this game is one of them.

#17 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostPV Phoenix, on 29 November 2014 - 03:35 PM, said:

I can pretty well promise the gtx 970 is not your problem. Should max out just about any game at 1920x1080. I'm running MWO at high settings (except particles is at medium, it's the killer at higher options may even put it to low to break 60 fps) and almost always above 50 fps which I'm happy with with a stock FX 8350 4ghz. WIll get more when I overclock it someday.

For most games you need to get a better graphics card to improve performance, however with some CPU bound games a good CPU is more important and this game is one of them.

Thanks for the input. I was jittery about this purchase of GTX 970 and was concerned that it was a defective gpu once I run into this problem in mwo. Apparently I need new motherboard.. that's my guess where the culprit is, first of all, since it's 890FX and not the later 990FX, and the cpu is kinda oldish too, although it's a kicker in other programs and games. It's possible that I would have to upgrade my cpu too eventually once I get to it. Upgrading both cpu and motherboard is not in my plans right now but at least I know now what needs to be done.

Edited by Jesus DIED for me, 29 November 2014 - 03:42 PM.

#18 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

Stil stand behind the 3.2 GHZ on a Phenom II chip isn't the greatest for MWO.
When I ran my Phenom II x6 1100t a Stock clocks I absolutely saw a difference between 3.3 and 4.2 GHZ.
On a newer Intel chip 3.2 GHZ is no problem.

Edited by Odins Fist, 29 November 2014 - 04:55 PM.

#19 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:58 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 29 November 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

Stil stand behind the 3.2 GHZ on a Phenom II chip isn't the greatest for MWO.
When I ran my Phenom II x6 1100t a Stock clocks I absolutely saw a difference between 3.3 and 4.2 GHZ.
On a newer Intel chip 3.2 GHZ is no problem.

Cool. I am overclocking mine further as we speak, testing it currently at 3.6GHz using FurMark burnin software. Will have to check mwo performance after that's done. Thanks for the input.

#20 Arkbird_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:27 PM

View PostJesus DIED for me, on 29 November 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

Thanks for the input. I was jittery about this purchase of GTX 970 and was concerned that it was a defective gpu once I run into this problem in mwo.

Far as I'm aware the only big defect I'm aware of with 970's is that a lot of them are shipping with coil whine but still run great. I got lucky as mine doesn't whine and max's out everything. Think I read somewhere that EVGA's cheapest model has some issues though so if you have one of those it might be worth your time to look it up.

But for the most part, a GTX 970 is great for gaming in general, but not so by itself for unoptimized games like MWO. Indeed getting a new CPU is your main option for increasing performance (or overclocking if you can, this helps lots if you can do it)... Or PGI decides to optimize the game. The former is your best best though, latter will probably never happen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users