- - - - -

Bad Game

70 replies to this topic

#1 DIrty Crazy Harry

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

I want to say PGI the mechs I play trial die to fast and you make no C-bill or XP after the bonus is gone 30k-100k win or lose just makes me want to uninstall your game. If the trial mechs die this fast with almost 100% armor then if I ever get to 15 million C-bills to by the mech I want im sure it is going to die just as fast in battles.

So I ask you fix the mechs to be tough and not die so fast so I can play in battles longer to gain more skill and make the C-bill and XP rewards enough so I don't want to uninstall your game.

#2 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:56 AM

Survival is dependent on how you play. It took me a long time after I started to be able to make it to the end of a match, and yeah, I totally understand how frustrating that is. If you're willing to give the game a chance it does become a lot more fun over time. The immediate experience is rough. If you want, feel free to friend me in game and I can drop with you, help you understand the finer points of survival against the enemy deathball.

#3 RancidSnivel

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:57 AM

Trials is trials. They are usually do not match to your play style. If you want survive and make some win, buy a mech and customize it.

#4 SunshineActual

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:10 PM

By this logic games all must last 2 minutes or so. Trails are not the best but they can still kill as you learn what you are doing. Find a few heavies or assaults and follow them and shoot at what they shoot at. This game is patience and tactics at its core. More people are killed in mwo from lack of patience then ammo explosions. (Vets included)

Also don't use a assault trial they are priority target.

And stay away from a light trials no armor and mistakes will frustrate you.

Good luck if your patient and learn the game it's an outstanding experience.

#5 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

the game has a crazy learning curve...

the best mechs i can recommend right now under trail are the centurion A, It is a faster moving, short range mech, best for supporting lances, and helping take down targets while defending against fast movers..

Cataphract 3D, decent armor, medium range, and the LBX will help you hit faster movers.. it also has Jump jets, (press space bar) to jump.

Stalker 3F, medium lasers and some lock on missiles.. Stay back around 300-500 from the fight, and try to do some damage.. use lasers when things get closer, Or if you are moving in with other mechs.. LRM's have a min range of 180, lasers max range of 550+? but damage falls off anything over 270

First off,, goto home tab,, pick a mech under trial, then click the home tab, and click launch into testing grounds.. Personally i would use the centurian, Or even a light to try this part.. there are stationary mechs in there, and you can learn to move, twist, manuver, switch direction... practice circling mechs, circling with a switch back twist... circle, twist, fire, twist away, continue to circile while twisted away, then twist back and fire and repeat...

Go hit all the maps at least once so you have some idea of what they are about,, and where ramps are... (though that is one reason why the 3D is a good first trial mech it has JJ's and you will need to find ramps as your only way up something less often.

Spend 2-3 hours doing this.. before you jump back in a match.. you will be Lots better.....

#6 SunshineActual

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:15 PM

Good advice!

#7 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

ohh this guy made a thread about some of the trials, it has some good info.. I can't say anything about the clan mechs as i have only killed them.... and not sure if this post reflects the most recent trials..

http://mwomercs.com/...play-with-them/

Edited by JC Daxion, 29 November 2014 - 12:20 PM.

#8 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

News Alert: This isn't CoD. You can't take an artillery round to the head and live. Play smart. Don't just sit there and be cannonfodder.

#9 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

This game has a high learning curve. It took me the trial mechs, 3 hunchbacks and 2 commandos before i started figuring out what i was doing.

You could do better than me by asking questions in this forum. I didn't, and couldn't figure out why my hunch torso kept getting blown off.

#10 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:45 PM

90% of the game is stay with the group--if you rush to the front of the fight, all the enemy mechs will target you and you go pop pretty fast.

#11 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

Ok Life Lesson for the OP.

You sound like a whiner. You act like the only reason the game is hard is the way it's designed. Completely oblivious to the fact that you have to actually learn to play. Like torso twist? Arm shields? Any of that ring a bell?

Oh and if everyone got every mech in a very short time, ie major boost to Cbills, then less people would play, less reason to spend money....no game to play after a while.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:27 AM

Different Mechs play completely differently,

e.g. the Spider is really fast and maneuverable but has little armor or firepower it is hard to hit but can be killed with a single Alpha Strike, the Firestarter is slightly slower and less agile but has more firepower and armor strong enough that it is unlikely you will go down to a single alpha strike those Mechs make good scouts or harassers, but stop moving and you are dead.

At the other end of the spectrum are Mechs like the Atlas and Dire Wolf, they have far more armor and firepower but are slow and easy to hit, if you are caught out in the open the entire enemy team may be firing at you, and it is hard to miss something that size, so regardless of the fact that you have 4 times the armor of the Spider if that happens you will go down, general in less than 10 seconds because you are 10 times easier to hit.

Mediums Mechs (between 40 and 55 tonnes) are probably the best Mechs to learn in because they are generally lower priority targets, yet still fast and agile enough that they can evade fire, and have sufficient armor to take a few hits.

people can give you recommendations but a Mech that is great for someone else may not suit you,
e.g.
my favorite Mech is the Spider but there is absolutely no way I would recommend it to a beginner because until you understand how to use it the Spider is a death trap, if you stop moving for 5 seconds as often as not you are dead, and it has little firepower, making it difficult to accumulate good damage.
I have trouble with he Centurion and Hunchback, but am fine with most other Mediums, I do not know why I cannot be effective in them but I can't.

I strongly suggest you try a variety of Mechs to find what works for you

#13 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:24 AM

View PostDIrty Crazy Harry, on 29 November 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

I want to say PGI the mechs I play trial die to fast and you make no C-bill or XP after the bonus is gone 30k-100k win or lose just makes me want to uninstall your game. If the trial mechs die this fast with almost 100% armor then if I ever get to 15 million C-bills to by the mech I want im sure it is going to die just as fast in battles.

So I ask you fix the mechs to be tough and not die so fast so I can play in battles longer to gain more skill and make the C-bill and XP rewards enough so I don't want to uninstall your game.

The reason you're dying so fast is because you're new, and you don't yet know how to play the game. We all play mechs with the same weaknesses as yours and matches routinely last more than 10 minutes, focus on learning to avoid dying instead of complaining about a nonexistent problem.
Now for some relevant advice: Stick with your teammates, shoot what they are shooting and try to avoid being fired upon by more than one mech, avoid exposing yourself to the enemy when you're unable to fire on them. That is the most basic advice I can give you, there is a lot more to learn but those are the first things you need to know.
Take the time to try out trial mechs on the testing grounds so you have an idea of how they play before you try to fight with one, and don't be afraid to ask questions here or ingame.
Be sure to check out the various tutorials found here, these cover just about every aspect of the game and range from basic stuff to advanced tactics and mech builds.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 30 November 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#14 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:34 AM

I always hear high learning curve and MW:O ...
I´m not too sure we are meaning the same .

DCS A10 and its other modules, now there is a "steep" learning curve or maybe EVE, that one´s gnarly too, but MW:O and a steep learning curve ?
No sir, have to disappoint here .
It´s mostly about scissors, stone and paper intermixed with some odd things (ghostheat, HSR) and some basic finger dexterity .

Yes, there is some lore about this game, but thats only important for giving a lively background and has nearly nothing to do with the game at all .

Have fun with the learning curve :P

#15 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:47 AM

View PostRad Hanzo, on 30 November 2014 - 03:34 AM, said:

DCS A10 and its other modules, now there is a "steep" learning curve or maybe EVE, that one´s gnarly too, but MW:O and a steep learning curve ?
No sir, have to disappoint here .
It´s mostly about scissors, stone and paper intermixed with some odd things (ghostheat, HSR) and some basic finger dexterity .

Well I'll be sure to demonstrate proper tactics to you should we meet in the group queue, since you apparently don't believe such a thing exists, or has to be learned. There is a lot more to this game than learning how to play a mech.

#16 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:05 AM

The game is not bad, your just bad at it.

To change that you need to play, listen, and learn.

Trial mechs are just fine as is.

Go to training ground and practice your piloting and gunnery skills. Learn weapon groups. Learn chain fire. Learn how to use mini map. Learn how to use weapons on arms and torso. Disable 3rd person view.

You have to first improve your piloting/gunnery skills. It is the PILOT that makes the mech not the mech that makes the pilot.

#17 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:13 AM

LOL.... Once upon a time.. Trial mechs were STOCK Mechs.. Most being half armour and single heat Coffins !

OP should be glad with the set of Champion trial mechs they have nowadays.

View PostRad Hanzo, on 30 November 2014 - 03:34 AM, said:

Compared to COD type with unlimited life bars... Yep.
MWO is unforgiving when you make mistakes...

#18 Hamish McPiton

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 81 posts
  • LocationFishing out of my cockpit hatch.

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:27 AM

If been playing off and on since spring - I died a lot at first. But the trial mechs right now are pretty good - the Stormcrow is a killer if you manage heat well. Just get out there and play to support your team, learn something about the enemies every match.

#19 Ra-ul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 122 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:20 AM

You know, I was usually dying very quickly when I first started to play MWO, until I held myself back and let the more experienced guys do the first engagement. That is the first skill you have to learn :). The rest is learning as you go.

Don't get frustrated too early on ;)

#20 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:02 AM

View PostShinVector, on 30 November 2014 - 05:13 AM, said:

LOL.... Once upon a time.. Trial mechs were STOCK Mechs.. Most being half armour and single heat Coffins !

OP should be glad with the set of Champion trial mechs they have nowadays.

Ah yes, I remember those days too. At least then, we had something to complain about with trial mechs, they were basically target drones for the custom mechs. At least some of the new trial champions are actually pretty decent builds. Their biggest weakness (if applies) is low ammo storage and only one jump jet (if applies). A few stand out as terrible, and I don't know if the trial Stalker still has an XL in it, but that is just suicide.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users