So When Are Medium And Small Pulse Lasers Getting Ghost Heat Again?

48 replies to this topic

#1 Rat of the Legion Vega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:15 AM

They're almost as broken as PPCs used to be when they're boated on the pulse laser quirk chassis like the Thunderbolt, Banshee and Firestarter.

Edited by Rat of the Legion Vega, 01 December 2014 - 01:17 AM.

#2 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:16 AM

when will people realise that some times it's the mech that's the problem, not the weapon system

#3 Rat of the Legion Vega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:18 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 01 December 2014 - 01:16 AM, said:

when will people realise that some times it's the mech that's the problem, not the weapon system

Oh, a lot of the quirks are really broken too. But how is it logical or fair that Clan pulse lasers have ghost heat while I.S. ones don't?

#4 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:28 AM

Because 50-70 pt alphas you can spam 3-4 times in a row at better range with pinpoint accuracy over 1 second or less?

For the same reason nobody takes Clan ACs and why if you could put Clan lasers on IS mechs you'd be an idiot not to do so.

#5 PitchBlackYeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:57 AM

Lets ghost-heat nerf all the weapons!

I say remove ghost heat and let people boat what they want, it's the essence of customization. If someone wants to pilot a walking toaster, let him. If someone wants to min-max, let him and let ELO sort him out. It's not that you can't mount quad or 6 PPC's without major sacrifices. We already have DWF's spewing insane not-quite-DoT alphas so it's not that much of a problem like it used to be 2 years ago..

Once ghost heat is dealt with you can take another look at weapon and quirk balance. Now with the extensive quirk system we have another way of dealing with chassis that allow extensive boating.

Edited by PitchBlackYeti, 01 December 2014 - 02:00 AM.

#6 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:07 AM

>twice the tonnage.
>tiny damage increases.
>reduced ranges.

I don't know if you know, but no one was using pulses for the past two years.

#7 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:06 AM

View PostRat of the Legion Vega, on 01 December 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

Oh, a lot of the quirks are really broken too. But how is it logical or fair that Clan pulse lasers have ghost heat while I.S. ones don't?

Incredibly, cuz Clans OP.....duh.... :rolleyes: ;)

#8 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:19 AM

View PostRat of the Legion Vega, on 01 December 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

Well, for starters, the Clan weapons have WAY more range than IS weapons. Clan pulse lasers actually have some usable range.

Now, the Firestarter and Thunderbolt (and probably the Banshee) could probably use some additional heat, but no reduction to range or duration. These quirks are designed to make the chassis usable, lets not take that away.

Also, the Clan mechs will be getting some quirk passes eventually too, so don't feel too left out (although don't count on quirks for the Storm Crow, Timber Wolf, or Dire Wolf).

View PostVassago Rain, on 01 December 2014 - 02:07 AM, said:

>twice the tonnage.
>tiny damage increases.
>reduced ranges.

I don't know if you know, but no one was using pulses for the past two years.

This is another reason those quirks are ok. People wanted a use for pulse lasers for years, now there is one. Overall the quirks are a win.

Too bad it is limited to such a small selection of mechs.

#9 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:07 AM

Better question: when is PGI going to remove or loosen ghost heat restrictions on some other weapons.
- 6x IS medium laser ghost heat is stupid when C-ERML alpha is way higher (30 vs 42).
- C-ERML has almost same damage and range as IS LL but again alpha is 18 vs 42 so we could loosen or lose their ghost heat also.
- AC2s (normal, ultra, BLX) are way too hot and ghost heat kinda makes them extra bad.

#10 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:09 AM

Oh give me a break, OP. Small and medium pulse lasers are FINE. You give up LOTS of range to use them, especially versus clan staples like the medium laser.

If you can't handle them, then you need to go back to remedial piloting.

#11 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:16 AM

The only thing that's broken are the firestarter hit boxes. If it would register hits as other lights it would not be such a threat. Plus I don't see that much banshees or tbolts on the field as some make it look OP. Mech variety on the field is better than ever before. Nothing is really OP.
Especially not if you compare it to a dire with 4 AC10s which, when shooting on you, pretty much stunlocks you with all the bullets and can core out a phract in 4 seconds.

Ghost heat for IS mechs is idiotic at the moment if you can compare it to clan mechs. How is a boom Jäger OP now? It isn't. 4 ppc stalker is dead because of ghost heat but how is it OP against clans? It isn't.

And now you want ghost heat on SMALL LASERS?! LOL

Edited by TexAss, 01 December 2014 - 04:17 AM.

#12 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:28 AM

Ghost heat is the worst mechanic ever and should go away completely.

#13 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:39 AM

I thought they did have ghost heat at 6 or more fired together

#14 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:42 AM

I don't think you understand how expensive a fully kitted-out 5SS is or what additional expenses are incurred to make it that way (max skills).

#15 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:11 AM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 01 December 2014 - 04:42 AM, said:

I don't think you understand how expensive a fully kitted-out 5SS is or what additional expenses are incurred to make it that way (max skills).

People are literally just mad because the IS has a heavy mech that dares to compete with the Timberwolf.

They just need to adapt and overcome, use tactics, focus fire, outmanuver them etc, right? After all that's what they always told us to do with timberwolves and direwolves.

Edited by QuantumButler, 01 December 2014 - 05:13 AM.

#16 Father Tork

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:26 AM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 01 December 2014 - 04:39 AM, said:

I thought they did have ghost heat at 6 or more fired together

It's 7 and more, 6 is no ghost heat. So the T-Bolt with 7 runs a risk, but most people shoot 5 and 2 (torso and arms)

#17 Ulketulke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:30 AM

View PostFather Tork, on 01 December 2014 - 05:26 AM, said:

It's 7 and more, 6 is no ghost heat. So the T-Bolt with 7 runs a risk, but most people shoot 5 and 2 (torso and arms)

You know nothing. There is no IS Med-pulser heat penalty. Only the regular med-lasers have a penalty.

Id rather slightly reduce the quirks of the said Mechs instead of adding ghostheat.

Edited by Ulketulke, 01 December 2014 - 05:34 AM.

#18 PitchBlackYeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:34 AM

View PostQuantumButler, on 01 December 2014 - 05:11 AM, said:

People are literally just mad because the IS has a heavy mech that dares to compete with the Timberwolf.

They just need to adapt and overcome, use tactics, focus fire, outmanuver them etc, right? After all that's what they always told us to do with timberwolves and direwolves.

My personal fav was the "IS needs to get close to brawling range" argument. So now the IS finally has mechs that actually can do that and even *gasp* outperform the Clans in that dying niche that is brawling. We can't have that can we now?!

#19 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:40 AM

We shouldn't be able to out perform a Omni at Brawling, unless we are really that good a pilot! OR carry a super heavy Alpha Strike! :D

#20 Kaspirikay

• Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:45 AM

I've been using clan pulses with extreme efficiency lately. I love em.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users