Drop the NDA please

152 replies to this topic

#1 Diomed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

There are many of us trying to decide if we should buy the game and if so which package should we preorder. It is almost impossible to make this decision without data, and sadly, for this game there is too little meaningful data to base that decision on.

Yes, we can watch videos and read transcripts of devs saying the same cliche's and catchphrases over and over. We can wade through these forums and read the wild speculation based on 'faith' and 'feelings' which are not even useless. What we need is frank, honest opinions of the game from people who have played it.

There is a major title in beta now that will release at roughly the same time as this game: Guild Wars 2. That game is probably farther from release than this one and yet they have lowered their NDA. And as a result I have preordered that game.

MWo Devs please lower the NDA. I want to preorder your game, I really do; but I have been burned so many times by game devs lies that I just can't do it. I need more data.

#2 Tandris

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:32 AM

There is a post in here from people's impressions during E3. You should read it, it is some good information about the game and gameplay.

http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

Edited by Tandris, 24 June 2012 - 06:35 AM.

#3 Frollet

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSydney - Australia

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:37 AM

guild wars lowered the NDA cause fanboys couldnt keep it in their pants between beta weekends, as far as i assume mechwarrior is a constant beta and releasing info on things that could change only makes PGI look bad things ive learnt in games design, most games change atleast 3 times during production, be faithfull or wait til we know more B) im sure the NDA will be down befor the founders packages are removed

#4 Diomed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:37 AM

View PostTandris, on 24 June 2012 - 06:32 AM, said:

There is a post in here from people's impressions during E3. You should read it, it is some good information about the game and gameplay.

http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

I read that post and watched the videos. I have read and watched the majority of them. They are not compelling evidence for the purchase option.

#5 Tandris

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

Well if it isn't compelling enough evidence then I guess your decision is already made and you won't be putting money into this Free to Play game. B)

#6 SquareSphere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

View PostDiomed, on 24 June 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

There is a major title in beta now that will release at roughly the same time as this game: Guild Wars 2. That game is probably farther from release than this one and yet they have lowered their NDA. And as a result I have preordered that game.

I have no idea why you think this game is closer to release than GW2. We're not even in Open Beta yet, hell we're almost 1.5 month out from that at least.

#7 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:41 AM

I would assume that what's going on in the beta is still bound to be buggy and unfinished.
I think that's part of why they have the NDA; some people will base whether they buy a game or not on an unfinished product.

I paid the full package, but I have a much different mentality about it; I'm not paying for goods, I'm donating to the company to make sure this product sees the light of day. Good or bad, I've waited a decade for a new Mechwarrior title to come out. There've been several abortive attempts to make Mechwarrior games in the past, but all that has kept interest in that computer game franchise alive this long are a bunch of fan products. Without Mechwarrior titles in the public eye, Battletech tabletop suffers a hit.

I want this game to be good, so that new players give Battletech P&P a try. As such, I donated what I could to the cause.

Edited by ice trey, 24 June 2012 - 06:43 AM.

#8 Diomed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:41 AM

View PostFrollet, on 24 June 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

guild wars lowered the NDA cause fanboys couldnt keep it in their pants between beta weekends, as far as i assume mechwarrior is a constant beta and releasing info on things that could change only makes PGI look bad things ive learnt in games design, most games change atleast 3 times during production, be faithfull or wait til we know more B) im sure the NDA will be down befor the founders packages are removed

Be faithful? Really?

I'm sorry but this position strikes me as extremely naive. With debacles like Anarchy Online, SWG, Battlecruiser, Diablo 3, Star Trek Online, Champions Online and a host of other failed or lacking titles how can you say this? We have examples ad nauseum of game devs lying to people to bump-up sales and then pulling the old 'bait and switch' once the game goes retail.

I have no use for faith. Faith is the acceptance of a fact or position in contravention of the evidence. I use data, logic and reason, not faith. In other words, I don't make crap up.

#9 Alexander Caine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

NDA won't be up too much longer, have a bit of patience B)

#10 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:45 AM

Umm this game doesnt have pre order option its free to play
Packages are for early access with some benefits.

#11 Tandris

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Are you just looking for data to figure out if you want to buy a Founder's pack? The game itself is F2P, so I'm a bit confused about this "purchase the game" stuff you keep saying.

#12 Argon3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationTexas

Don't feed the troll

He is not going to be happy when he runs out alone in his assualt and can not pay to have it fixed because he did not make enough C-Bills

And to the OP
Just say no then
It will make us all happier

#13 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

OP: Your position was lost when you mentioned that you already preordered another title. Who taught you to negotiate like that?

#14 Benthic7

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:47 AM

Its a free to play game. You don't have to pre-order anything. If you don't want to purchase one of the founder packages that your choice. Piranha isn't forcing you to pay anything up-front. Wait for the game to go to open beta then you can make an informed decision.

#15 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

Keep the NDA indefinitely just for this guy.

#16 BFalcon

• 1,120 posts
  • LocationEgremont, Cumbria, UK

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

View PostDiomed, on 24 June 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

Be faithful? Really?

I'm sorry but this position strikes me as extremely naive. With debacles like Anarchy Online, SWG, Battlecruiser, Diablo 3, Star Trek Online, Champions Online and a host of other failed or lacking titles how can you say this? We have examples ad nauseum of game devs lying to people to bump-up sales and then pulling the old 'bait and switch' once the game goes retail.

I have no use for faith. Faith is the acceptance of a fact or position in contravention of the evidence. I use data, logic and reason, not faith. In other words, I don't make crap up.

Fair points, to be fair.

PGI do seem to be very eager to stay loyal to the original TT game where possible and not introduce arbitrary improvements like MW4 did - the mechlab using critical slots, for example, while making sensible design decisions (like damage-over-time lasers, which make sense).

I've gambled, I'll admit, but I've done so on the gameplay I've seen in the videos - partly by watching how the other mechs behave as well as how the mechs you're riding with behave.

I would like the NDA to be dropped too, but not before they've polished the bugs (if any) that exist right now. I'd sooner that players like you were able to make an informed choice on a decently-finished game, than on a game that still has underlying problems.

#17 Sunset

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

NDA's are for a reason. They need to clean the game up before a full release.

#18 Frollet

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSydney - Australia

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

View PostDiomed, on 24 June 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

Be faithful? Really?

valid argument
however you fail to realise that this is PGI's passion project and they are taking a make or break risk on this game if this fails their company is likely to be no more and their employee's involved will be taineted in the games dev industry for a long time because no publisher will want to work with them without some crazy contract that just isnt worth it.
i have every faith that everyone at PGI are putting 200% into this game because its their jobs on the line and its a project they care about games devs like me (so far) have to make what we are told, im truely envious of them and want to see the game do well not only for the company but so i can continue to play it without resorting to reworking code to get player hosted servers up if they proper ones close down

so faith is justifyed

#19 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

View PostFrollet, on 24 June 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

guild wars lowered the NDA cause fanboys couldnt keep it in their pants between beta weekends

Actually Arenanet lifted the NDA's because the game went from closed betas to open beta. During the Friends & Family as well as the closed invite only Beta Phases the NDA was active. Only after it was possible to prorder (much like the founders packages here) the game, did it become open beta so that the players could actually test and bughunt it themselves. Once This happened Anet decided to lift the NDA status because anyone who pre-ordered was allowed access to all beta events. Keeping a strict NDA with such a large crowd is not possible.

Once MWO changes to the open beta Phase and lets everyone on the servers, I expect the NDA's will be lifted as well.

#20 Mrllamaface

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 124 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

View PostTandris, on 24 June 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

Well if it isn't compelling enough evidence then I guess your decision is already made and you won't be putting money into this Free to Play game. B)

What Tandris said.
This is going to be a free to play game. You don't have to pay for anything if you do not want to. That being said I understand your concern about dropping money on a product you don't know much about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users