14 replies to this topic

#1 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

Hey chaps and chapesses!

I'm looking to abandon the mouse/KB combo in favour of a return to how I used to play MW with my stick of joy.
Trouble is, my beloved MS Sidewinder is not only unsupported by Microsoft these days but also it's the oldschool 15-pin non-USB job.
I could get an adaptor for it, but having checked the reviews, (once learnt the hard way with a Commodore 16, adaptors are poo!), it looks like I'd be best served getting a new stick.

-phew-

So anyhoo, not having more than about £40-ish to throw at this am I asking too much to replace my ol' Sidewinder with a stick of similar precision?
Or should I keep adding to the coffers and get some gold-plated all singing all dancing maypole of an uberstick?
Obviously the button count is critical in this!
(Old one had 9 buttons, 3 axis & throttle)

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

#2 Gatth

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPEI

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:23 AM

I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. 12 buttons a hat switch and throttle at a reasonable price.

#3 MrSocks

Rookie

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:30 AM

I remember my old Sidwewinder Precision Pro. So many hours playing MW2: Mercs...

Well, I was going to suggest picking up a Saitek X-52 pro HOTAS, I used to play MW4 with one and it worked pretty well but it looks like they've been discontinued and are now insanely expensive.

My next suggestion would be this:
http://www.amazon.co...18153052&sr=8-2

Decent amount of buttons for various weapon groups and such. Only problem I can see with it is that the rudder control (that you would presumably use for torso twist) is on the throttle slider as opposed to twisting the stick, which may feel a bit unintuitive and wierd.

Maybe try digging around for a reasonably priced X-52 pro if you can find one.

Good luck.

#4 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:46 AM

Thrustmaster T16000M.

The best stick you can buy sub $100.

#5 cakethulu

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 1 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostMrSocks, on 09 December 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

Only problem I can see with it is that the rudder control (that you would presumably use for torso twist) is on the throttle slider as opposed to twisting the stick, which may feel a bit unintuitive and wierd.

Much to the contrary, I think it's way better than the old twist-the-stick method. Back in the MW4 days, I could never get used to twisting the stick. Whether it turned the arms (aiming/torso twist) or legs (direction), stick-twisting always felt weird.

A friend has that same joystick. I used it only once--and yes, there was a bit of a learning curve to get used to those rocker buttons on the throttle--but it worked so much better for me. Personally, I liked having the stick control both x and y axes on the torso (the way a mouse does), and the throttle buttons assigned to turning the mech.

As always, YMMV, but do give it a shot.

Edited by cakethulu, 09 December 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#6 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:19 PM

Greetings all,

The old sidewinder 3D precision pro's and the force feedback versions were all 15pin and required a soundcard midi plug in to work. (none of the sold small cable/plug adapters would work for these specific Ms joysticks, serial number specific use only)

- But as you stated there is a special adapter built just for these sticks, from players who swore they were the toughest and most reliable sticks made. (I still have my sidewinder precision 3D pro FF stick, but can't plug it into anything to work)
~ Some of the sticks were a combination of analog and digital so none of the normal adapters will work.

- The only way to get these into use with new computers is with a custom built adapter that uses the 'teensy board' to convert the 15 pin to a USB. It can be ordered as a kit or just bought built and ready to go.
See this thread for the images and steps of how to build it.
http://mwomercs.com/...usb-conversion/

Taken from the original post about converting the Ms joysticks to USB.
http://www.descentbb...=250537#p250537

Or the old 'original thread' for converting the Ms force feedback to USB, and purpose built circuit boards to do this.
http://code.google.c...wiki/HowToBuild

Now after all that it may just be cheaper and faster to buy a new or used joystick.
- quite a few players just packed up the old one when they upgraded. Many have a few unused sticks that are fully functional, but they wanted the latest or greatest new toy so off to the box the old one went. I'm sure if there was a dedicated PM listing of just how many old sill working joysticks MWO Pilots have there would be 100's if not more.

Just some idea's,
9erRed

#7 MrSocks

Rookie

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

View Postcakethulu, on 09 December 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

Much to the contrary, I think it's way better than the old twist-the-stick method. Back in the MW4 days, I could never get used to twisting the stick. Whether it turned the arms (aiming/torso twist) or legs (direction), stick-twisting always felt weird.

Fair enough, must just be a personal preference thing then. I grew up mainly with Sidewinder sticks and got accustomed to having the pitch, roll and yaw axis all on the one hand.

Although contrary to my own, I respect your opinion. Have a pleasant day.

#8 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:31 AM

What sidewinder do you have? My precision pro came with a usb adapter, and is still recognised and correctly configured by modern windows versions. Had to dig up that adapter though, had never used it back in the day.

#9 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:20 AM

I use a MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, USB and still works with Win7 (not sure about 8 but no one should be using that abomination anyways). Find it used with both cords and it'll be just like old times for you. If not, go with the Thrustmaster T16000M.

#10 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:42 AM

All original MS Sidewinders.
I had the Force Feedback pro originally but it eventually went to the hardware pit in the sky and I had to resort to using a plain vanilla MS Sidewinder Precision Pro.
This was purchased just as the USB version was appearing on shelves so unfortunately I didn't get that version.

I do like using the 3-axis in one hand.
This is the primary reason for wanting to go back to using a joystick.
Not sure about the Thrustmaster T-Flight and having the torso twist in my left hand.
(Need one hand free for the pizza/beer/child fending :P )

As for the jiggery-pokery involved in building my own adaptor..
Whilst grateful for the links and tempted as I am, the missis won't let me near playdoh for fear of causing an explosion let alone anything involving 'lekky stuffs!

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is a likely candidate although I confess to being a little put off by the throttle.
But hey, not a perfect world is it?!

The Thrustmaster t16000m is the other option, but the throttle is yet again that huge flappy thing at the rear. :/

...and finally Sir Roland MXIII chimes in with his functional Sidewinder II that's gonna have me scouring Ebay and being very nice to the wife...

Cheers all, will letcha know what ol' Saint Nick stuffs in my stocking.
Wishing you all a groovy and wobbly Yule. :)

#11 Mavrick451

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

Hello guys! I am too an old MechWarrior with Precision 2 Sidewinder user. Loved this joystick because of
all the cool features at your finger tips and reaction response. Well part of the good news is I found how to
get the joystick to respond to Microsoft Win 10. It does show up on the device manager, can do the joystick
test and all buttons and controls respond on the test. If any of you guys have the same setup or joystick. please leave
a message with tech support and maybe we can get this superb joystick working with Mech Warriors!
I have already sent one to them. Send me an email if interested...

Barry
bdspvl@gmail.com

#12 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

Wow I remember posting this! lol

(Still not got a joystick! must've been a bad boy that year...and the next ....and last year... :P )

Barry, if your Sidewinder detects in win10, MWO does not "see" it in the controller config??

Aside: Given up. Next move is to follow the links kindly provided by 9erRed ^ and build a converter.
....one day :P

#13 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:25 PM

I would just buy an old soundcard and use the port on it. I mean most computers still have one legacy PCI right?

#14 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:18 PM

Ive still got an old Saitek Cyborg joystick i only really used to use for Tie Fighter when my original MS one died ages ago, i think i actually just gave up joystick alltogether when i later got the Saitek Command Unit, its got a thumb joystick that was just as useful for playing the likes of Freespace 1/2 and other stuff i dont really need a joystick for these days.

If i needed anything like that i think id still go for saitek, they mostly just do joystick/hotas type stuff these days neways and its all programmable.

#15 Dalberon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts
  • LocationBFE Ohio

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

I use a combo of the CH Flightstick Pro 4 Button with 8 way hatch and a evoluent mouse. I only touch the keyboard to chat during combat. Well....I also have my cool shot on the keyboard so I can easily hit it with my thumb without letting go the mouse.

https://www.amazon.c...d=3DQY8QOD0QT0N

I do have to swap out one of my hatch settings between masc or stealth armor now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users