129 replies to this topic

#41 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:49 PM

I forgive you for Transverse. This is awesome, like it had already been laid out. Here, I'll get a Loki package.

#42 Meistersaenger

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHangar 5, Dropship "Verdandi"

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:17 AM

Well, after seeing the mess with the waitingcues i realy question myself if there is much of qualityassurance at PGI or just the simple question if anybody over there ask oneself - wtf do our customers want/need? in any chase, with such a dependency on coordinated players not having at least a chat for the contract-party or something like a wait-state-list is just a very bad joke. even when its called a beta.

we have 11 fractions, so if anybody wanted to play there is a need of at least 12x12 players - 144. and that didnt considert the bunch of planets out there. the 144 players must be on only 6 planets... just to get every fraction one round of CW. lets guess there are about 10 planets to choose from for everbody. lets take it we focus on 5 for every fraction. that means 5x12x12=720 players needed for some smooth gameplay. as wise as PGI is, nobody can tell how many players are around (in CW or just in total), but guessed on basis of the waitcues there are not more then 200 at a time... so if they dont get the planetcount drasticaly down waitingtimes will never get much better, even they take the chance to fix up a propper chat and the visiable waitcues. ... as it is: thx for the try. was nice and i got time to read a book while waiting for the 3 matches i finaly saw. would be nice to hear some music form MWO while reading... but darn, i play the game to, well PLAY it. so wake me up when u got ur math done in a way corresponding to the acutal usercount. this minor patches are plain and simple useless if you dont fix the real problems.

p.s.: and dont bother to correct my calculations, was just a simple example which isnt perfect

Edited by Meistersaenger, 13 December 2014 - 04:26 AM.

#43 XMARXdotCOM

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:41 AM

Well done Gentlemen! It's a little cumbersome getting into the match, but it was well worth the wait.

#44 DestructShawn

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:37 AM

Is there one person in charge of "matchmaking" at PGI? Is that one person not aware people do not form social groups of exactly 4 or 12? It seems like they can't get matchmaking right over and over. The regular matchmaking took a year to allow different mixes other than exactly 12 or exactly 4 or 1. Now here we are again, unable to play because whatever clown controls matchmaking rules thinks exactly 24 people will come after each planet.

Seriously, no one can play this because no one can find anyone else to fight with! You wait 30 minutes in queue and nothing happens! You can't tell where to go to fight with anyone! What kind of video game is this? The waiting game?

#45 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:28 AM

Great to finally be here. Point to smooth out so far: - need to show a countdown timer (say: "10 minutes until defense of Somerset to begin") for planets that are about to be attacked, and then drop ANYONE who has chosen to queue up for that match. Better to drop 5 or 6 folks who WANT to defend then sitting in a queue line waiting for 6 more folks who will never be there.

#46 ArthurEKing

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:43 AM

I first want to say that I did read several of the responses on this thread, and a lot of positive stuff! Glad to see it, I mean I LOVE the new CW system, and the one match I did get to play was awesome! I want more like it, regardless of whether or not I win or lose. In fact I really LOVE the difficulty of capturing the planets, it SHOULD be that hard! It's all-in-all awesome.

My only point of contention, which others have as well, is the difficulty of match-making, which others have suggested options, and I'm going to join my voice in with one crowd right now.

Numbers. That's really all I think we need. If we knew how many people are waiting in a cue of an individual planet, either attacking, or defending, than that'd be great! then we'd know that this defense needed only 2 more players to start the match, because the attackers were full, or something. Really that's all I think it'd take to cut the match-making time down significantly, because then people would actually group-together on planets that actually NEED them, rather than planets that have one attacker, who's waiting for a bunch of other people who won't show up, because they're off waiting on their own planets! lol.

I'm sure this is something that you're likely working towards, and just hasn't been implimented yet, so I'll be patient, but just saying it'll be really nice if/when that becomes a reality!

#47 Ian Drsaurri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 107 posts
  • LocationKentares IV

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:41 AM

IT HAS BEGUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#48 PPO Kuro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 300 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

Boreal Vault

Map is difficult if you are attacking. The moment the gate is open and the defender pushed you back to the your dropsite you are kinda boned. You have no cover to speak of near the dropsite and moving to the gate you need to cross open terrain. It’s like moving in an open field while the opponent has set up firing lines you happily walk into. Horrible slaughter ensues.

I have to say the concept is fun, the implementation of CW (I know it’s beta) could be better. Maybe they should just drop 1 Union class dropship (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Union) and this becomes the spawn point. With a portion of the weapons on that dropship to deter would be attackers of the dropsite.

#49 Vrox

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:16 PM

So far CW seems to design to ignore solo (PUG) players. I still cannot get into a game. Hope they have a queue for lonewolf to auto alocate to any planet that need their service. The closest I get to is watch video posted on youtube. :(

#50 scruffy416

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:40 PM

View PostVrox, on 13 December 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

So far CW seems to design to ignore solo (PUG) players. I still cannot get into a game. Hope they have a queue for lonewolf to auto alocate to any planet that need their service. The closest I get to is watch video posted on youtube. :(

Hmm, you must be doing something different than I am - I have managed at least 10 solo CW drops so far.

I've been hitting the Faction tab, check through the Attack/Defend list for planets that have:
- a named Occupying Unit (eg. last check planet Wheel was held by RWR)
- a non-zero score for Attacker Wins
- some activity in the Planet History box

If a planet has any of these, I hit the Attack/Defend and wait for about 6 minutes. If I'm lucky after a wait, the Unit list will populate. (Note: It will go from empty to full in one shot - it is a mistake to check Lobbies for participants, YOU WILL NOT SEE ANY! Matchmaker does some voodoo and picks 12 from an invisible pre-queue which is hidden from us for now) If there's nothing after a 5 or 6 minute wait, I move on to another planet.

It takes quite a lot of patience to actually get into a match - but it's gloriously worth the wait once you do!

There are more 10 and 11-man groups out there than you might think.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

#51 Vrox

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:12 PM

View Postscruffy416, on 13 December 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

Hmm, you must be doing something different than I am - I have managed at least 10 solo CW drops so far.

I've been hitting the Faction tab, check through the Attack/Defend list for planets that have:

If a planet has any of these, I hit the Attack/Defend and wait for about 6 minutes. If I'm lucky after a wait, the Unit list will populate. (Note: It will go from empty to full in one shot - it is a mistake to check Lobbies for participants, YOU WILL NOT SEE ANY! Matchmaker does some voodoo and picks 12 from an invisible pre-queue which is hidden from us for now) If there's nothing after a 5 or 6 minute wait, I move on to another planet.

It takes quite a lot of patience to actually get into a match - but it's gloriously worth the wait once you do!

Thanks for the tip, I managed 1 game so far. Will keep trying.

#52 bANANAjOE

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:00 PM

I really gave up allready from this game and pgi but now it is such a big surprise to me :

MWO FINALLY BECOMES EPIC !!!

Thanks to all of you pgi`s !!

=9t= Lt. bANANAjOE

Unit: =9th= Blood and Fire
Faction: German Ghost Bears

Homepage: 9tbloodandfire.de
mwo.gamepedia.com/Unit:9th_Blood_and_Fire

#53 bANANAjOE

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:04 PM

PS: All the lone Bears out there should quickly contact: 9tbloodandfire.de !

Teamspeak3 : 79.133.47.4:2133

=9th= Lt. bANANAjOE

#54 Joe Marberg

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:20 AM

It's a nice start but oh god its buggy (Cry Engine errors all over the damn place). I have had 3 match that actually launched of 7 attempts (seems to be the sulphur map that crashes every time). And several where I just gave up waiting. And 2 of the 3 matches that launched there was no opposing force. That seems pretty dumb. So looks like it will be awesome when it is fixed but very broken at the moment.

#55 Axefan

• PipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 45 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:02 AM

View PostVrox, on 13 December 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

Same here. I'm so frustrated that I just quit playing - maybe I'll try back in a few weeks.

View Postscruffy416, on 13 December 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

I'm glad that it's working for you. I tried the same thing about 30 times, except I never waited 6 minutes. I normally loose patience after 3.

6 minutes is really too long to wait after clicking a button with no visual feedback PGI!

UPDATE - I finally got in!! It is a blast once you actually get a match! I know you are all are so happy for me. :P

Edited by Axefan, 14 December 2014 - 04:37 AM.

#56 Uncle Totty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostSp4rtan, on 12 December 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

Posted Image

This. There is just too much of THIS.

#57 TamerSA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:42 PM

I've been enjoying the few matches I've had so far. Starting to get a sense of unity in the Wolf groups I drop in, whether they are mostly pre-made or a bunch of pugs like me :)

There are obviously a few balancing issues and actual bugs to work out. At the moment the graphic bug is fairly prominent (cockpit vanishes), and the maps still seem to focus on rush tactics rather than epic battles as was explained in the original vision from PGI. But I'm sure there will be some ironing out early next year.

As for the queue problem. Nothing needs to change other than a queue counter on the planets as a hover over tool tip to show how many players are lining up for a planet. This will make it easy to decide where you can fill in gaps, or if you are prepared to wait out a planet you get a sense of how quickly it is filling up.

Good job so far, this has potential to be great

#58 Tuann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 203 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard, with a beer, chocolate and waffles

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:36 AM

as far as i understand, there is only one moment in the day where planet ownership can shift.
this is however very deep in US timezone

As Euro players, i feel our impact is close to zero. whatever effort we might do,.. it is going to be void in the course of the late hours afterwards.

CW should have a Euro flip moment and an American one.
perhaps, one over each day :

Day 1 : flip at 24Hrs EU CET (which allows early US players to help)
Day 2 : flip somewhere at US timezone as it is now
Day 3 : Flip EU again etc,..

right now,.. we fight a bit for "nothing"

#59 Yorinaga

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:51 AM

Wise words from Tuann.
Should be at least two flip moments. One for NA one for EU and make the windows smaller for more dynamic.

I have to say CW is kind of a mixed experience at the moment.
For us small Liao's the wait times are quiet fine. Within 5-10 mins we do have a drop with our team usually. Sometimes even much faster. The games have been good and the overall gaming experience got way better by this meaningful combat. Problem is we can't make any difference in the long term. Can win as much as you want, when Davions field like 3 or 4 teams more and get free wins in the meantime on your planet you're just screwed.
On the weekend we ran from victory to victory but kept losing ground on the planet we chose to defend. Plus at 5 or 6 in the morning on workdays we can't contribute to holding or attacking in any way as European.

Besides from that we were all having a blast in this alpha. Adjusting dropdecks, trying out new tactics, strategically chosing ur next moves brings so much more fun.

Looking forward to the first adjustments in terms of stability and hopefully flip moments.

#60 ironcloud

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:35 AM

View PostAndyboy, on 11 December 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

Seriously, the leader of the group can sign a 28 day contract without consulting anyone? And condemn me to 28 days of trial mechs because I don't own any Clan mechs???

Then it costs 1,120,000 to break a contract someone else signed, yet the contract still continues for 2 days anyways?

Stuck in trial mechs for 2 days after paying the penalty anyways. Not happy.

Ok, this needs explanation.

Any person can simply, create a faction (in game unit), then sign a short term contract with a faction, and chose targets for an that entire faction ?

Example merc unit created > contract signed with A faction > select targets on B faction, sit back and watch the results ? while a 12 man team can gain auto victories if a faction doesnt have enough players/players in units.

Isnt there a restriction on how attack contracts work ? Who can select targets for a faction ?

Even if targets can only be set by permanent contract holders, are the penalties harsh enough to prevent a possible exploit ?

I have personaly made close to 15 billion Cbills just as solo player joining CW matches in 3 days.

Edited by ironcloud, 15 December 2014 - 04:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users