My Units First Night In Cw.

10 replies to this topic

#1 Grantham Besat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:25 AM

So we dropped into our first match at 7pm EST. We played a total of ten rounds of which 8 had live opponents. The battles where evenly split attack and defend with both maps equaly represented. The teams where a mix of pubbies, two 10 mans, and an 8 man. We fielded 7 to 12 people and ran for CGB. We went undefeated and wraped up the large group at 230am. It needs work to smooth out the frame rate dripz but its a solid start. It feels tense and exciting but as predicted baddies die in droves. Nice job PGI. As for the baddies I suggest you learn a tactic that isnt a derp rush because that isnt working out is it.

Edited by Grantham Besat, 12 December 2014 - 12:28 AM.

#2 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:34 AM

We had a pretty good run too- 6 matches with 4 opponents. 3 defend wins, 1 attack loss that was insanely close- 1 second more and we would have destroyed the cannon. Very fun matches and a large boost to the overall enjoyment of the game. Looking forward to seeing the map change and people getting involved more.

#3 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:35 AM

Our first night:

Try for 30 minutes to find a battle.
Get into a battle against turrets.
Try for 30 more minutes to get into a battle.
Finally get into one.
Try for 45 minutes to get into a battle.
Finally get into one.
... gave up.

The bottom line is there are WAY WAY too many planets that can be hit in CW for the population of the game. Taking a defense contract that it's telling you needs to be filled ultimately means you'll be sitting there forever.

It has potential. The fact we finally have an objective-based game mode as pitched, dropship mode as pitched, and so many other things are fun. But after getting 2 games in more than as many hours broke everyone's will.

They need to revisit the lobby system, big time. It needs to let you coordinate with newcomers, then and there. It needs to let you see who's in the attack que. It needs to focus it, so there's only as many fronts as there are players to sustain them. It needs radical re-design on this front, from what I can tell.

Has our experience been similar to anyone else's thus far?

#4 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:41 AM

Well, we did have some long wait times, but not that long. A lot of it seems to depend on whether you have a full 12-man or need some pugs to fill you up. If the latter, the wait times really can be long- I don't think the majority of independent players know right now how to really get into the CW fight. Maybe having the needed Attacker/Defender popup box last longer or be more noticeable would help. A big- Launch Now to Attack/Defend section might help.

#5 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:43 AM

So far, over 2 hours and have only managed to get 1 match.

At every 10-15 minutes, drop queue to see what the current hot spot is. Wait to get a pop up saying 'defend'or 'attack'.

Wait 30 minutes just to be sure, still no match.

Go back to waiting 10 mins then trying a new queue.

Still no matches....

So far CW is a great spinning planet simulator. 2+ hours of watching a little planet spin and stare at a 'preparing for drop' notice.

Edited by Arcturious, 12 December 2014 - 12:44 AM.

#6 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrion's Bible Belt

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:56 AM

Oh, I thought that's what the forums were for....I've posted more this evening while I waited to drop than since I joined right after closed beta. Personally, its been worth the wait this evening. Most of the games have been a lot of fun and it feels like MechWarrior. Shoot, we've all waited for literally years, whats a few minutes now? Besides, I'm sure they will find some way to match make more effectively.

#7 Nikol Grall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationJackson, Tn

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:09 AM

This is the time faction coordination pays off, whether multiple small units working together or the big guys running in a pack. Communicate, this is a social game after all.

#8 IvaMech

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:10 AM

Had a few bad games where pugs got put up against 12 mans that didn't go well but is still alot of fun
The match maker is very broken atm but shows promise as the wait is stupid for a solo player like me.
There needs to be a find next battle option or button so we arn't all waiting on different planets queing for a match.
Again waiting 15-60 min for a game is stupidly long.

#9 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:40 AM

The hardest part of CW on our Units first night was trying to learn how to drop together. Also it took us a while to figure out that Marik Rough Riders couldnt team with Marik Gunfighter Alliance.

Guess its time to try Sync dropping again.

#10 Nikol Grall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationJackson, Tn

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:49 AM

View PostIvaMech, on 12 December 2014 - 01:10 AM, said:

Had a few bad games where pugs got put up against 12 mans that didn't go well but is still alot of fun
The match maker is very broken atm but shows promise as the wait is stupid for a solo player like me.
There needs to be a find next battle option or button so we arn't all waiting on different planets queing for a match.
Again waiting 15-60 min for a game is stupidly long.

Yes groups and players should have an option to simply choose to join next open battle. Also this brings out another longstanding and lacking feature in MWO. There is no general, or faction chat stream to coordinate via text groups and battles. WoT and War Thunder manage this simple feature.

#11 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:21 AM

Dropped 4 times tonight before I had to go to work. Twice as a pubbie (1 Attack and 1 Defense) and twice as a member of a HHoD 10-man (same).

Getting into a match is a royal pain in the ass but once you're in the action is intense.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users