BattleMech 4 - Dragon

324 replies to this topic

#201 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

View Postjuxstapo, on 24 November 2011 - 09:44 AM, said:

Naw, the Atlas is the "Pride of Defiance Industries"... on Hesperus II... in the Lyran Republic.

That doesn't change the fact that the Atlas is a favourite Kurita Mech.

#202 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

Atlas is produced by Defiance for the LCAF on Hesperus II and by Yori and Independence for the DCMS on Al'Nair and Quentin.

#203 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 24 November 2011 - 09:30 AM, said:

He's probably referring to the beasts behind the mechs...but even then it's still a smoke jaguar (which looks like a skaven ^^).

Know what...it never occured to be that might be a smoke jaguar. WTH...I get all the big genetically altered felines confused.

#204 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

View PostBrakkyn, on 24 November 2011 - 03:08 AM, said:

Nova Cat vs. Dragon; Ryoken vs. Akuma!

I once saw an UrbanMech that was standing on top of another UrbanMech. I was the last man to leave the field but the entire unit fled off-planet after catching sight of it.

Nova Cat vs. Dragon? Linky?
If you're refering to the one I posted, that's a Smoke Jaguar vs. Dragon.
As indicated on the Clan Smoke Jaguar logo on the Stormcrow, between the shoulder and the missile ports.

Nova Cat??
The mech on the left side is a Strormcrow...

Think he refers to the fire&smoke animals.

He's probably referring to the beasts behind the mechs...but even then it's still a smoke jaguar

Kinda makes sense, ya know. It being the cover art for The Dragon Roars. Which, surprisingly, is about Operation Bulldog.

This thing has crotch lasers?

Mackie has crotch lasers.
This one's got Beer-Belly Missiles.

#205 The1WithTheGun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationRight behind you

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 23 November 2011 - 11:17 PM, said:

Something tells me that the four mechs allready known represent each weightclass for the Draconis Combine. Atlas, Jenner and Dragon are favourite Kurita Mechs (though one would expect a Panther instead of a Jenner). Sure, Shadow Hawk would fit better there, but well...it's an unseen.

The Hunchback is common in the Draconis Combine as well.

Edited by The1WithTheGun, 24 November 2011 - 03:08 PM.

#206 The1WithTheGun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 24 November 2011 - 09:44 AM, said:

Naw, the Atlas is the "Pride of Defiance Industries"... on Hesperus II... in the Lyran Republic.

Actually, IIRC, the Atlas - at the time of this game, is built on 2 planets in the Draconis Combine and only 1 planet in the Lyran Commonwealth. The Dracs stole Quentin from the Fed Suns in the 3030s I believe, relieving them of their Atlas factory.

#207 The1WithTheGun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 24 November 2011 - 11:14 AM, said:

That doesn't change the fact that the Atlas is a favourite Kurita Mech.

To be fair pretty much every house has some Atlases, and they tend to be a favourite of anyone who has them ;)

#208 Habokku

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

View PostLord Trogus, on 23 November 2011 - 07:46 PM, said:

All I am saying is that this design seems outclassed by medium mechs around it's size (ie: canon bushwacker). Although not as heavily armored, the bushwacker carries far greater firepower and is just as fast as the Dragon.

A good point, but hear me out on this.

Firstly, the Bushwacker is a much newer design, not being completed and produced until well after the clans invaded, so it's apples to oranges there (Both fruit, or 'mechs.. really but markedly different.. I want a smoothie now dangit..).
Secondly, the standard dragon doesn't use an XL engine, unlike the bushwacker, and as such doesn't have as much weight to spare for weaponry. So yes, you have a valid point on the bushwacker being better armed than the dragon despite being 5 tons lighter, but riddle me this? Which 'mech is cheaper/easier to produce in large numbers? Also, which 'mech will run out of ammo first?

In the era of Battletech that we're starting in, XL engines are around, but are very very costly. A 'line' battlemech such as the dragon wouldn't need an XL engine, though having one is certainly not really a problem to be sure, though weight is saved survivability goes down a bit. That's the nature of the beast though, give and take, etc.

I see your point, but do keep in mind that we have no idea how much damage an AC5 is going to inflict, it's rate of fire, or at what ranges we'll be able to inflict said damage on whatever unfortunate soul happens to be on the business end of our 'mech. The same holds true for all the weapons so far.

Me personally, I'm hoping for suitably fast paced combat while bearing in mind that we're in a multi-ton walking battlemech. Maneuvering should be important, positioning and use of terrain downright critical for aiding in survival, but I want to be able to watch that AC 5 spew ten rounds in rapid succession and look at the impacts as they stitch across my enemies torso, opening holes for my lasers and missiles to take advantage of.

I want to watch my target rock backwards when my gauss slug slams into their shoulder and leaves a nice smoking crater there.

I want this game. ;)

<S> Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

-Havoc
A.K.A. Habokku

#209 Longhorn

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 35 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

Not to be ungrateful, But I was kind of hoping for a smok'en Russian intern shower cam or something. Dragon is kool and all, don't get me wrong. Good stuff.

#210 wunderschatze

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMexico

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:04 AM

It is one of the first designs of mechs, I would like to see the 3D model to appreciate more details ;)

#211 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:29 AM

I need to ask, does that Load out make the Dragon weigh in at a full 60T?

I put it on the MekTek(free) MechBay (yes I know but I assume it would be close at least) and it was woefully short of using its full tonnage. Despite weapon slot setup.

Engine set to 91.2mph (or down a notch to 85.0) LRM 10, AC5 and 2 medium Laser, with 10T of armor. No need for Heat Sinks, it runs 100% efficient. Tried all armor types and still have 50% more could be added.

So where does this Dragon use the extra 15-20 tons given the current Stock load out presented?

#212 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:54 AM

MaddMaxx, it sounds to me like you're either missing some things from your input of the design, or the MekTek MechLab works for MechWarrior IV: Mercenaries, and not for BattleTech. The most widely used BattleMech Designer, right now to the best of my knowledge is the Solaris Skunk Works (I don't have the addy, so you would need to search), though I use BattleMech Designer 9.71, myself. It's an older program, but it's more graphically pleasing to me than SSW and I have a feeling SSW is not as accurate as it should be.

#213 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:57 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 25 November 2011 - 06:29 AM, said:

snippy snippy

Dear god what?

I think Kay Wolf has got it right, the MekTek MechLab is probably the designer for custom mechs in MW4. Really makes you think how much longer battles would take in MW4 if you didn't have those ridiculous loadout weights.

Also Kay, what about SSW isn't accurate? There's fractional accounting at the bottom that you can enable if you take Experimental Rules.

#214 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:19 AM

I said I have a feeling. I'm not done looking the program over.

#215 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:42 AM

View PostThe1WithTheGun, on 24 November 2011 - 03:15 PM, said:

Actually, IIRC, the Atlas - at the time of this game, is built on 2 planets in the Draconis Combine and only 1 planet in the Lyran Commonwealth. The Dracs stole Quentin from the Fed Suns in the 3030s I believe, relieving them of their Atlas factory.

Besides, the art they showed us depicts the AS7-K variant, and not the AS7-D (DeChavilier) variant, thus Kuritan.

Engine set to 91.2mph (or down a notch to 85.0) LRM 10, AC5 and 2 medium Laser, with 10T of armor. No need for Heat Sinks, it runs 100% efficient. Tried all armor types and still have 50% more could be added.

So where does this Dragon use the extra 15-20 tons given the current Stock load out presented?

DRG-1N Dragon:
Internal Structure - Standard: 6,00 Tons.
300-Rated Standard Fusion Engine: 19,00 Tons.
Standard Gyroscope: 3,00 Tons.
Cockpit: 3,00 Tons.
10 Heat Sinks: 0,00 Tons.
160 points of Standard Armour: 10,00 Tons.
2 Medium Lasers: 2,00 Tons.
1 LRM-10 Launcher: 5,00 Tons.
1 Autocannon/5: 8,00 Tons.
@LRM-10 (24): 2,00 Tons.
@AC/5 (40): 2,00 Tons.
Total: 60 Tons.

#216 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:06 AM

I do hope FD intentionally designed these mechs so there are weaknesses that can be exploited in game. Ideally they would be a bit easier to exploit by the lights/scouts and are more of a temporary disabling/wounding nature, allowing them to get away/continue scouting, but also ensure that when your heavies show up, they get to deal with enemy mechs at maybe 75-80% health.

That removes a bit of the 'I'm a scout, so I'm supposed to die' syndrome, and also keeps it from becoming a 'heavy fest'.

Personally, I think my first **** eating grin moment will come when I hip-cap a Dragon in a scout style mech, only to hear a 'I've fallen and I can't get up' from the pilot.

Priceless.

#217 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:28 AM

View PostAlizabeth Aijou, on 25 November 2011 - 07:42 AM, said:

Besides, the art they showed us depicts the AS7-K variant, and not the AS7-D (DeChavilier) variant, thus Kuritan.

DRG-1N Dragon:
Internal Structure - Standard: 6,00 Tons.
300-Rated Standard Fusion Engine: 19,00 Tons.
Standard Gyroscope: 3,00 Tons.
Cockpit: 3,00 Tons.
10 Heat Sinks: 0,00 Tons.
160 points of Standard Armour: 10,00 Tons.
2 Medium Lasers: 2,00 Tons.
1 LRM-10 Launcher: 5,00 Tons.
1 Autocannon/5: 8,00 Tons.
@LRM-10 (24): 2,00 Tons.
@AC/5 (40): 2,00 Tons.
Total: 60 Tons.

Thanks. MT obviously didn't look up the BT STOCK version of their Dragon. ;)

#218 maxx2504

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

Hi !
Looks also a little bit like a Grand Dragon on the Battletech Wiki maybe ?

Posted Image

#219 KingCobra

• The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

I think alex did a great job on this Dragon model but i have to ask if we do not get a 3D Outside view whats the point of showing these to us?
I would prefer to see the cockpit and view from inside if thats all we are going to get and be able to play from ;) .Also if we only get a incockpit view what will function and what will not?.

Edited by KingCobra, 27 November 2011 - 08:59 AM.

#220 Tierloc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationWAR_Homeworld

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

When the Dragon came out with the mekpacks, it was one of my linebacker chassis until they nerfed it for being too dominant as a light heavy.

The pictures don't make it look like it's as nimble or able to move as quick as it used to, I'd expect the legs to be 3/5ths the height of the chassis.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users