32 replies to this topic

#21 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:20 AM

Far as the build, seems okay. If you have issues with something like light pests, may consider a couple of simple lasers on the arms with arms unlocked.

This is a build I've had since 2013, with only a single change since then (swapped half a ton with half a ton). Not saying you should run it, but while I don't get a real opportunity to show it off, you can see that there's two crosshairs, the + and the o. The o can move a lot faster than the +. The "o" is your arms.

It isn't OP by any means, but it takes a page from Atlas brawler concepts and advantage of a cold running build. This one runs a standard engine, as might be implied by the build's age despite how semi-recent the video is made.

#22 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:14 AM

I run my Protector with 2LB10X, HPPC, ERML in the arm and STD300:
https://mwo.smurfy-n...ab5dfb5d5f5c406

Orions have to twist to tank damage, and twist 90 degrees, not just wiggle +-10 degrees like some narrow-front mechs. Therefore, they benefit the most from big, slow firing weapons (or big lasers in the arms like ON1-K). If you follow that philosophy, perhaps the best Protector build is HGR+HPPC+2ML+STD300:

https://mwo.smurfy-n...3327ee25cf0ed83

It takes some agility and practice to fire the HPPC and HGR together (they sync perfectly after cooldown quirks) - you charge up the Gauss, then tap the HPPC fire and instantly release the Gauss shot = 40 PPFLD, then shield with the left side until cooldown ends - this is more important than firing the MLs. The latter are for use when you get no return fire or when someone steps into your 90 meter minimal range.

I run the 2LB10x version since it is easier to use and performs better in a messy brawl (dps is a lot higher and LB10 don’t spread a lot under 200 meters (both barrels are right on top of each other).

Edited by ShiverMeRivets, 06 February 2019 - 03:19 AM.

#23 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:24 AM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 05 February 2019 - 12:08 AM, said:

Dislike makin myself a necromancer, but am in need for some feedback regarding viable protector builds. Been tryin some of the stuff mentioned earlier in this thread - even though some of the postings reach far back - and it feels like the protector (hence by his name) is the incarnation of a short-range-sync brawler. Still feels a little too slow for head on engagements with the 65 kph setup I run ... any suggestions would be welcome, since I somewhat like the chassis but can not make it perform too well.

Protector - LFE300, AC20, SnubPPC, 2xASRM6

https://mwo.smurfy-n...5fe0580ca49f4dc
69.8, you gain range thanks to MRMs over SRMs+Snub and slightly better heat management. SPPC is terrible for a brawling weapon - it's only useful on hardpoint-starved chassis that have tonnage to spare. If you have the hardpoints, a pair of Medium Lasers (normal, ER or Pulse) is always better.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...1ca051a4119d0d5
Same speed, you lose half a ton of AC ammo and shave a little armor to install a UAC/20 for about 30% higher burst potential.

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 05 February 2019 - 03:03 AM, said:

You shall have your caresses too, Koniving. But grant me an OP-Protector build first that somewhat compensates my uttermost crappy MWO-skills.

I would not recommend Kon's "build" under any circumstances. It's four different weapons with very different behaviors, and his weapon groups make a negative amount of sense.

#24 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:31 AM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 05 February 2019 - 12:08 AM, said:

Dislike makin myself a necromancer, but am in need for some feedback regarding viable protector builds. Been tryin some of the stuff mentioned earlier in this thread - even though some of the postings reach far back - and it feels like the protector (hence by his name) is the incarnation of a short-range-sync brawler. Still feels a little too slow for head on engagements with the 65 kph setup I run ... any suggestions would be welcome, since I somewhat like the chassis but can not make it perform too well.

Protector - LFE300, AC20, SnubPPC, 2xASRM6

Without going into an alternate setup, first here is an optimized version of your build.

PROTECTOR

Light ferro and shaved head and leg armor give you tonnage for a 305 engine. Ammo has also been rearranged for feed order and rebalanced to supply the weapon systems more evenly.

I think you're going in the right direction with this; the Orion does well with burst damage builds that let it torso twist and spread damage during cooldowns. What are your specific problems with it while playing this build?

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 05 February 2019 - 01:05 AM, said:

Maybe something more long-rangy? https://mech.nav-alp...#e63dad2b_ON1-P

The Orion has never been a good long range mech because of its low weapon mounts. It is one of the premier brawlers in the IS lineup, though in my opinion the Protector is one of the weaker variants.

#25 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:25 AM

With the Onion's armour quirks and and armour skill nodes, you can trim a fair amount of armour to free up weight without really compromising survivability.

Here's my setup. PROTECTOR

Not the exact armour allocation, but the legs are at about 75 and the arms in the high 30s with my skills. The Orion's arms aren't the best for shielding, and since there's only 2 MLs in there, who cares if they get blown off anyways. They just help to drill off a light's leg if you manage to nail it with your AC/PPC/SRM burst.

I wouldn't trim the arms much on other variants, especially the ones with missiles in the arms.

#26 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:34 PM

If you put yourself in a position where you actually need that much back armor, having it won't save you to begin with. Frontload it - unless you're in an assault that has the mobility and grace of a pregnant cow, 5 points rear armor is enough.

#27 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 February 2019 - 03:06 PM

View PostHorseman, on 06 February 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

If you put yourself in a position where you actually need that much back armor, having it won't save you to begin with. Frontload it - unless you're in an assault that has the mobility and grace of a pregnant cow, 5 points rear armor is enough.

I just clicked max armour in Smurfy. Didn't bother to adjust the front/rear split.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users